TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-24-2004, 08:46 AM   #121
Meinrad
dumdiddydum

Quote:
Originally posted by Don_Corneo
TiVo SPECIFIES what hardware and software is to be used to work with their service. D*TV's "control" is limited to the channels you get. DirecTV has no control over the hardware or software except as ALLOWED by TiVo.

LoL, you go ahead and keep believing that. People who actually work for Tivo have posted otherwise.
Meinrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 03:10 PM   #122
edrock200

Just got the motorolla ATA and it works great with the Tivos! I made Vonage switch out my cisco because my Tivo's wouldn't dial on them. I'm happy I did because I just made 5 calls in a row with no problems.
Old 02-25-2004, 04:11 PM   #123
edrock200

Red face

*sigh*...well, I take it all back. It worked great for a while...then my ATA decided to do a firmware update...and now all calls are failing again. I'm just spoke with Vonage and one of the tech guys is working with his managers to see if he can roll my firmware back and figure out whats going on. He said if we find a compatible firmware he can lock my ata on that firmware and send it to motorolla for comparison to the new one to see what happened.
Old 02-25-2004, 04:28 PM   #124
qposner

I emailed Vonage to see if they would send me a Moto ATA to check against my Cisco. Here was there response:

"Unfortunately, we cannot temporarily supply you with a Motorola
adapter. However, we will be able to swap the Cisco device for the
Motorola ATA. There is $99.95 swap fee and we will credit you $40.00
once you return the Cisco device."

That seems a bit ridiculous to me. They want to charge $60 when they could be helping their support position if the Moto works!
qposner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 04:32 PM   #125
bmiller

Quote:
Originally posted by qposner
That seems a bit ridiculous to me. They want to charge $60 when they could be helping their support position if the Moto works!
You think yourself integral to testing this configuration? I'm sure they have their own labs and they don't want to have to start swapping out everyone's Cisco device just because they feel like it. When you signed up, didn't it say they don't support TiVo? Seems to me I read that and it's the reason I didn't sign up.
bmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 05:52 PM   #126
qposner

Wink

Ahh, the sweet hum of a condescending voice.

Actually, no, I do not consider myself "integral to testing this configuration". I just don't see what the problem is with swapping out an ATA. Its not like we have to buy them and they lose money. I would even be willing to pay shipping.
Old 02-26-2004, 11:47 AM   #127
expoke

Here's what I wrote to Tivo and DirecTV:

"When will our USB ports be enabled on the back of my Series 2
DirecTV-enabled TIVO units?

The telephone connection does not work with my VoiP setup, and signs are
everywhere that more and more people are using these VoiP types of
service.

It's been at least months. The number of customers with this problem is
growing, because this limitation is not brought to our attention when we
all bought these units.

We're always being referred from Tivo to DirecTV, and DirecTVs answer
has been the same for months: There is "no idea" when it will happen.

All of us would greatly appreciate honest efforts to address this issue.""

***As I said, here's DirecTV's response to my request for assistance with this matter (total bullsh**):

"Thank you for writing. At this time, the USB ports on the TIVO are not
being used [WHAT?!? SURELY YOU JEST!]. Just as personal computers are rapidly evolving, we expect
DIRECTV System receivers to incorporate many new features in the coming
years [YEARS?? AND WHAT DOES THE COMPUTER ANALOGY HAVE TO DO WITH IT??]. We will enhance our programming service as the receiving
equipment evolves.

All DIRECTV System receivers bring you excellent picture and sound
quality and on-screen program information. However, the on-screen menus
of each brand may have a slightly different "look and feel." Also, each
manufacturer of DIRECTV Systems offers various receivers which each
offer a different array of features. The availability of certain
features depends on the receiving equipment you own [THIS ENTIRE PARAGRAPH IS COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT]. If you have
questions about DIRECTV Systems and their future features, we suggest
you see our web site for a list of system manufacturers at
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/learn/...#Manufacturers

I hope this information is helpful [DO YOU REALLY?]. Thanks again for writing.

Sincerely,

Anjali
DIRECTV Customer Service"

**...and now here's Tivo's BULLSH** response:

"Thank you for contacting TiVo Customer Support. I understand you would like the USB ports enabled and the modem modified on your DIRECTV DVR.

Unfortunately, I do not have any information to help you. The DIRECTV DVR with TiVo service and the TiVo service received are both offered and supported by DIRECTV. Any changes to the hardware or software will be provided by DIRECTV [INSERT FAVORITE PASSING THE BUCK MOTION HERE].

For support of DIRECTV products, please call DIRECTV at 1-800-DIRECTV or: 1-800-531-5000.

If you are interested in purchasing TiVo products [HAHA! THE NERVE TO MAKE A SALES PITCH!], including the DIRECTV DVR with TiVo service, you can find more information at tivo.com/get.

Kind regards,
Dave
TiVo Customer Support"

...like I'm going to buy anymore of their trash!

Last edited by expoke : 02-26-2004 at 11:55 AM.
expoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 11:47 AM   #128
expoke

Here's what I wrote to Tivo and DirecTV:

"When will our USB ports be enabled on the back of my Series 2
DirecTV-enabled TIVO units?

The telephone connection does not work with my VoiP setup, and signs are
everywhere that more and more people are using these VoiP types of
service.

It's been at least months. The number of customers with this problem is
growing, because this limitation is not brought to our attention when we
all bought these units.

We're always being referred from Tivo to DirecTV, and DirecTVs answer
has been the same for months: There is "no idea" when it will happen.

All of us would greatly appreciate honest efforts to address this issue.""

***As I said, here's DirecTV's response to my request for assistance with this matter (total bullsh**):

"Thank you for writing. At this time, the USB ports on the TIVO are not
being used. Just as personal computers are rapidly evolving, we expect
DIRECTV System receivers to incorporate many new features in the coming
years. We will enhance our programming service as the receiving
equipment evolves.

All DIRECTV System receivers bring you excellent picture and sound
quality and on-screen program information. However, the on-screen menus
of each brand may have a slightly different "look and feel." Also, each
manufacturer of DIRECTV Systems offers various receivers which each
offer a different array of features. The availability of certain
features depends on the receiving equipment you own. If you have
questions about DIRECTV Systems and their future features, we suggest
you see our web site for a list of system manufacturers at
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/learn/...#Manufacturers

I hope this information is helpful. Thanks again for writing.

Sincerely,

Anjali
DIRECTV Customer Service"

**...and now here's Tivo's BULLSH** response:

"Thank you for contacting TiVo Customer Support. I understand you would like the USB ports enabled and the modem modified on your DIRECTV DVR.

Unfortunately, I do not have any information to help you. The DIRECTV DVR with TiVo service and the TiVo service received are both offered and supported by DIRECTV. Any changes to the hardware or software will be provided by DIRECTV.

For support of DIRECTV products, please call DIRECTV at 1-800-DIRECTV or: 1-800-531-5000.

If you are interested in purchasing TiVo products, including the DIRECTV DVR with TiVo service, you can find more information at tivo.com/get.

Kind regards,
Dave
TiVo Customer Support"

...like I'm going to buy anymore of their trash!
expoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 12:01 PM   #129
nerdtech

SPEAKEASY AND VONAGE -> Research/Think Twice!

So I was all hot to move my voiceline to Vonage and ditch SBC [Ameritech]. But, lucky for me, I did some checking and some research first.

I called Speakeasy [my DSL provider] to make SURE that I was not required to have an SBC-provided voice line. Good thing that I did this.

Indeed, it turns out in my case that it is REQUIRED by Speakeasy [DSL] that I have an active line from SBC [Voice] for them to provide me DSL service. What does this mean?

Any poor sap that tries to move their phone line over to Vonage, and who is using Speakeasy for DSL in Southeast Michigan - will essentially "cut off their own heads". You move your phone to Vonage, and if your SBC line is disconnected - then your DSL stops working - voila! No more data OR voice!

Just a heads-up, and a warning. Check with your DSL providers first, before gettin' hooked up with Vonage - and see if the DSL service needs to be "piggy backed" onto an existing Bell phone line or not.

Also, the Speakeasy rep suggested that I just get "metered service" on the voice line - but I want to keep our existing voice number to use with Vonage - so this is not an option, either.

Cable modem users, I think, need not worry about this all. Just DSL users.

And please do correct me if I am wrong about any of this - but hearing this information from Speakeasy [and not Vonage or SBC] seems to give a bit more legitamacy to the info - particularly since Speakeasy wants to keep seeing my monthly DSL payments.
nerdtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 12:37 PM   #130
edrock200

Yes most DSL companies require a dial tone to get service unless you get a business class RADSL or dedicated pair which is expensive. Qwest is trying to change that, and hopefully it will work:
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=0...14&mode=thread
Old 02-28-2004, 08:28 PM   #131
Don_Corneo

Standard phone line/Home Network Option (NOT HMO)

Quote:
Originally posted by aristoBrat
Do you really want to stand by that statement?
Below is a copy of an email I received from TiVo.com customer support:

Hello Don,

Thank you for contacting TiVo Customer Support. I understand you would like to know what is meant by a standard phone line.

A standard phone line (analog) will have a chord (land-line) connected to the TiVo DVR, a cell phone is not a standard phone line.

I gather that an analog-digital-analog service (such as VoIP) is not compatible with the low grade non-industry-standard modem required by TiVo for its service.

Do I Need a Land-Based Phone Line to Complete Guided Setup? http://customersupport.tivo.com/tivo...ic/tv2054.htm?

Can My TiVo Digital Video Recorder Make a Daily Call on a Phone Line with DSL? http://customersupport.tivo.com/tivo...ic/tv1061.htm?

Why Does My DVR Need to Be Connected to a Phone Line/Why Does My DVR Need to Connect to the TiVo Service?
http://customersupport.tivo.com/tivo.../tv020301.htm?

If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me again.

You may also visit our web site at: http://tivo.com/support, to use our interactive troubleshooting guide, find a graphical solution to answer your questions or submit a case to one of our technicians. If you need to make any billing changes or update your customer information you can do this online at: http://tivo.com/manage.

Do you have a home network? With our new Home Media Option you can use your DVR to listen to music or view photos from your PC, share programs with other DVRs in your household, and schedule recordings remotely from the web. Check it out at: http://tivo.com/new.

Kind regards,
Dennis
TiVo Customer Support

I have also found the following in TiVo's FAQ's:

If I have a broadband connection (cable modem, DSL), does that mean I don't need to use my regular phone to connect to the TiVo service anymore?
That's right! If you have a broadband connection in the home and a TiVo Series2, you can connect to the TiVo service directly by connecting your DVR to your network. This feature will be available to all subscribers (Except D*TiVo subscribers) with a TiVo Series2, whether or not you purchase the Home Media Option package.*

*You will still need to use a standard phone line for your initial call during Guided (or Repeat Guided) Setup.

All we need to do is have DirecTV and TiVo make TiVo software version 4.0, or later, or version 5.0 available to D*TiVo owners. TiVo owns the software (check your DVR system info page where TiVo clearly states it owns the software/hardware), so all D*TV can do is ask for it, or may have to pay for it which may present a problem.

Last edited by Don_Corneo : 02-28-2004 at 08:37 PM.
Don_Corneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 09:53 PM   #132
aristoBrat

Re: Standard phone line/Home Network Option (NOT HMO)

Quote:
all D*TV can do is ask for it, or may have to pay for it which may present a problem.
Yeah, and having a Pay-Per-View billing system and signal theft prevention policy that both currently rely on land-based phone calls from receivers might also be a small problem for D*TV.

FWIW, there's already a thread with an online petition you can sign to request HMO and other updates: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...hreadid=109505
aristoBrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 11:20 PM   #133
gfoulks

Just hook up a external modem to your DTivo... Then you can make your daily calls without any problems. You can even get a preconfigured modem and cable /w adapter from Weaknees. I did and I was up and running in 3 minutes. In two months my Vonage service will have saved me enough money to pay for the modem upgrade.
Phillips DSR-704 / 120 SD hrs
JVC 52" HD-ILA
gfoulks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 03:13 AM   #134
Don_Corneo

Re: Re: Standard phone line/Home Network Option (NOT HMO)

Quote:
Originally posted by aristoBrat
Yeah, and having a Pay-Per-View billing system and signal theft prevention policy that both currently rely on land-based phone calls from receivers might also be a small problem for D*TV.

FWIW, there's already a thread with an online petition you can sign to request HMO and other updates: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...hreadid=109505
Thanks, I signed up on the petition, but I'm really not interested in getting HMO. All I want is the home networking availability. This is separate from HMO. (See the end of my post above.)

As an added note: D*TV TiVo Specialty Group, 1 (800) 793-4102 (Call this number to inform D*TV you want TiVo software version 4.0 or higher) has informed me users of D*TiVo with VoIP face a double problem. One is that TiVo has not made the new TiVo software (4.0 or higher) available to D*TV. Two is that D*TV must test the newer TiVo software's compatibility with the D*TV access card. The D*TV access card is tied into working with the TiVo software, though the Rep could not explain how or why.
The Rep also informed me that TiVo does control the software and hardware used for TiVo part of the unit. D*TV just works out compatibility with its own software and hardware. (When you make the setup call, it is to the TiVo server and the software upgrade is controlled by TiVo.)
The Rep made a request on my behalf for D*TV.com to make a web page specifically for D*TiVo users.
The failure of the TiVo daily calls using VoIP is caused by the non-industry standard modem (#1) TiVo required installed in the units. D*TV used a industry standard modem (#2) for its part which is why their once a month call has not been a problem.
D*TV needs a kick in the @$$ to support us in getting the newer TiVo software and testing it for compatibility quicker.
TiVo needs to be bombarded to let them know we refuse to be treated as an unwanted step-child. The TiVo software and hardware is strictly their responsibility. They need to provide newer version to D*TV in a timely fashion so that D*TV can test its compatibility and then get it to us.
At this point the only advantages that the D*TiVo units have over SA units is the dual tuners and integrated TiVo/D*TV receiver unit. Unfortunately, mainly for VoIP users, the integrated unit causes a big delay in getting the newer and better TiVo software.

I'll wait to see what TiVo's response to support D*TiVo is before I make a final decision about keeping the D*TiVo.

To any who hasn't bought a D*TiVo unit yet and has VoIP, I recommend reading the posts here and on other boards. You may want to consider buying a SA where you can use the home networking option (you DO NOT have to get HMO if you don't want it, HMO is not a part of home networking nor is HMO needed to use home networking) or try one of the work-arounds suggested. You can always bring the unit over to an old analog land-line every 30 days also.
Old 02-29-2004, 12:29 PM   #135
tivoremedies

Note Solution to series 2 Tivo and Directivo for use with Vonage!

I didn't realize that this was still a big deal! I've been using Vonage for just over a year and my series 2 connect perfectly every time! I bought a preprogrammed external modem kit off of some guy on ebay specifically for series 2 Tivos and Directivos for like 60 bucks shipped. When I got it in the mail, I hooked it up and everything has worked fine ever since.

I have his email address if anyone is interested.

If your thinking about switching, Vonage is definatly the way to go! IMO
tivoremedies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 02:46 PM   #136
Don_Corneo

Re: Solution to series 2 Tivo and Directivo for use with Vonage!

Quote:
Originally posted by tivoremedies
specifically for series 2 Tivos and Directivos for like 60 bucks shipped. When I got it in the mail, I hooked it up and everything has worked fine ever since.

I have his email address if anyone is interested.
The problem for me is that spending more than $20.00 for a 'ready to use' fix is making the D*TiVo more expensive then it's worth to me. For the price D*TiVo was offered, it was more convenient then buying a new VCR, and a lot less expensive than buying a DVD recorder, to replace my VCR that decided one day to stop working. The duel tuners was a good incentive. But now I'm rethinking everything. For the costs involved, buying a new VCR and using one of my old D*TV receivers and TVs with it seems more cost effective. I'm very leery about spending more money and the fix not working to my expectations. At this point I'm not into building/configuring a workaround.
I maybe interested in the guy you bought your modem from since it is the cheapest price I've heard of for a ready to use setup.
How long have you been using this setup you have? Have you tried manually making connections with a lot of success?
Old 02-29-2004, 05:32 PM   #137
qposner

I would appreciate some info on this guy as well. If we have a ready to go otion, I would be interested.
Old 02-29-2004, 07:00 PM   #138
pigvig
TiVo Underling

Me too!!! I have a DSR7000 and this seems to be the only solution (until v4 software).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
connected!
pigvig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 08:15 PM   #139
tivoremedies

Re: Re: Solution to series 2 Tivo and Directivo for use with Vonage!

Quote:
The problem for me is that spending more than $20.00 for a 'ready to use' fix is making the D*TiVo more expensive then it's worth to me. For the price D*TiVo was offered, it was more convenient then buying a new VCR, and a lot less expensive than buying a DVD recorder, to replace my VCR that decided one day to stop working. The duel tuners was a good incentive. But now I'm rethinking everything. For the costs involved, buying a new VCR and using one of my old D*TV receivers and TVs with it seems more cost effective. I'm very leery about spending more money and the fix not working to my expectations. At this point I'm not into building/configuring a workaround.
I maybe interested in the guy you bought your modem from since it is the cheapest price I've heard of for a ready to use setup.
How long have you been using this setup you have? Have you tried manually making connections with a lot of success?
to me, there is no comparison as far as tivo and vcr. : ) Tivo is awsome in the respect that it learns what type of programming you like the more you use it. Ive been using my setup for just over 7 mos. Any manual connects that I have made have gone through sucessfully. (I usually just let the tivo do its thing, though)

I got permission from Ryan M.(the tivo modem guy) to post his email address for you guys who are interested: tivogod@smgcommodities.com
tivoremedies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 01:46 AM   #140
Don_Corneo

To: tivoremedies Re: Solution to series 2 Tivo and Directivo for use with Vonage!

Quote:
Originally posted by tivoremedies
to me, there is no comparison as far as tivo and vcr. : ) Tivo is awsome in the respect that it learns what type of programming you like the more you use it. Ive been using my setup for just over 7 mos. Any manual connects that I have made have gone through sucessfully. (I usually just let the tivo do its thing, though)

I got permission from Ryan M.(the tivo modem guy) to post his email address for you guys who are interested: tivogod@smgcommodities.com
Thanks for the help. I sent an email requesting the info about the modem setup.

I've had the unit for only a month, but like the D*TV receiver I had (for about 6 months) with a similar suggestion list, it rarely picks shows I like.

Last edited by Don_Corneo : 03-08-2004 at 09:26 PM.
Old 03-03-2004, 10:27 PM   #141
strange_69

Stop the Blame Game, it bores me.

Ok, I bought an external modem, made the cable, plugged it in and now it can't get past negotating (sp-1). I can get it to work about half the time on my landline but only about 1 in 100 on Vonage. Is there an init string or something that I should do to my modem? I have a US Robotics Sportster 28800 Fax Modem and also a SupraFaxModem 288 (which I am using cause it looks better). Is it also possible that some dial in numbers work better than others? If so, please post trouble free numbers so that I can try. Thanks everyone.
strange_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 07:00 PM   #142
cactus46

What is the model # of the TiVo? Dialing prefixes vary. Since you have Vonage, do you care about the area code? If not, I can give you my access number in Phoenix.

John
cactus46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 09:22 PM   #143
strange_69

Hughes Series 2.
Old 03-07-2004, 12:03 PM   #144
strange_69

Also, it appears that I have the same modem that weak knees uses (US Robotics) if anyone could let me know the dip switch/init string setup I would be greatly appreciative. Thank you.
Old 03-07-2004, 01:13 PM   #145
Neutron

I apologise if this has been discussed before, but is there any way to get a Directivo to use the USB ports or is it hopeless? I would like to, when I get mine, connect it to my wireless LAN.
Neutron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 02:23 PM   #146
cactus46

The switch settings on my USR 33.6 Sportster Faxmodem are 2, 4, 6 are up (off) and the rest are down (on).

AT&D0 [this is a zero, not the letter 'O']
AT&H0
AT&I0
AT&R1
AT&W0
AT&W1

You can find out more about these commands in your modem manual or in the following thread:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...ighlight=voip.

A couple of the above AT commands didn't take with my Sportster but were compensated by the above manual switch settings.

In the HDVR I have a dialing prefix of ',*99,#396' [without the ' '] and the dialed number 1-602-528-4765 [includes the 1-area code-7 digit #].

What is your bandwidth setting on the Vonage site under 'Features'?

I hope this helps and if you have any questions, please let me know.

John

Edit: original post had the 'off/on' definition reversed. I had a 50-50 chance of getting it right! I'm sorry if this has inconvenienced anyone.

Last edited by cactus46 : 03-07-2004 at 06:41 PM.
Old 03-07-2004, 02:48 PM   #147
cactus46

Quote:
Originally posted by Neutron
I apologise if this has been discussed before, but is there any way to get a Directivo to use the USB ports or is it hopeless? I would like to, when I get mine, connect it to my wireless LAN.
You may want to do a search on on your model # and LAN such as HDVR2, or DirecTiVo and network. It seems that I read where the kernel can be hacked to enable the LAN?

John

Last edited by cactus46 : 03-07-2004 at 04:26 PM.
Old 03-07-2004, 05:24 PM   #148
strange_69

Thanks cactus46, I'll try those settings when I get home from work. Do you happen to know what functions those dip switch setting correspond to? Mine is a USR 288 Sportster and I don't know if they are the same. :-)
Old 03-07-2004, 06:30 PM   #149
cactus46

strange_69,

You can verify that your switches are the same as mine on page 165 of 195 at this link: http://www.usr.com/support/s-modem/s...s/sport336.pdf

I believe the switches provide the same respective functions on both external modems. Also on my previous post about the switches, the direction was correct up and down but 'on' and 'off' were incorrect. See the note above the switch settings in the manual referenced in the link above if you are confused.

Also, note the physical switch settings overide any of the same keyboard input switch settings.

John

Last edited by cactus46 : 03-07-2004 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:29 PM   #150
strange_69

Thanks cactus46
Your posts were very helpful.