TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-22-2004, 09:38 AM   #91
Nugent

What a difference, a comma makes! Thanks, astribli for spotting that I hadn't spotted it.

My external modem now works properly via POTS. My Vonage switchover is tomorrow. I'll try connecting via Vonage using both internal and external modems and report back here.
Old 01-23-2004, 02:47 PM   #92
Nugent

Ok, here is the report:

Hardware: Cable internet (Charter) via a Motorola S85100 Surfboard Cable Modem (Circuit City), Vonage ATA Motorola VT1005V, Directivo HDVR2, US Robotics Sportster 28,800 external fax modem, set up as per RedGray's directions.

I set the dial-in number to my local number, of course including the 1-area code.

The result: Both the interal Directivo and external USR modems work via Vonage!

Conclusion: I shouldn't have spent $2 plus shipping on eBay for the external modem.

If the internal modem remains reliable, I am willing to give the USR modem and home-made interface cable to the first worthy user willing to pay shipping.
Old 01-23-2004, 03:49 PM   #93
scottt
Macintosh Guru

Nugent, are you using any prefixes on the HDVR2 when using the internal modem with Vonage?
scottt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 02:26 PM   #94
Nugent

Nope - no prefixes, and it still seems to be working ok. Successful calls when I checked Monday.
Old 02-01-2004, 06:04 PM   #95
nerdtech

Nugent:

I have a HDVR2 as well - and am looking at Vonage as an option for voice.

I was just wondering if this is still all working for you - with the equipment that you are using:

- HDVR2
- Vonage ATA Motorola VT1005V
- Cable Modem/DSL

Are you a recent subscriber to Vonage - and is this a newer Motorola box that you got from them? Interested to hear...
nerdtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 03:34 PM   #96
PhilEkins

semi off topic but does anybody have regular D* receivers that they are using w/ vonage and did they work ok over the broadband phoneline ??
PhilEkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 01:24 PM   #97
Nugent

nerdtech: my hardware, as you listed, is working fine. Yes, I am a recent Vonage customer with the new Motorola box and have cut the Bellsouth cable. I am happy with Vonage, especially the price. It's not perfect - for example: no power, no phone - but meets all my needs. Some features are really cool - I take it to my girlfriends place when I visit there (different state) and people who call me are really confused when I tell them I'm out of town.

I you or anyone else wants to sign up, I'd appreciate referring you. I get a little kickback from Vonage and it doesn't cost you. Let me know.

I previously posted that my Directivo dial-ins worked without any modifications. Well, it appears that this is unreliable after some experience. So just in case I am withdrawing my offer of a modem - sorry! However, it works just great with the external modem, which was easy and cheap to implement.
Old 02-03-2004, 01:56 PM   #98
scottt
Macintosh Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by Nugent
nerdtech: my hardware, as you listed, is working fine. Yes, I am a recent Vonage customer with the new Motorola box and have cut the Bellsouth cable. I am happy with Vonage, especially the price. It's not perfect - for example: no power, no phone - but meets all my needs. Some features are really cool - I take it to my girlfriends place when I visit there (different state) and people who call me are really confused when I tell them I'm out of town.

I you or anyone else wants to sign up, I'd appreciate referring you. I get a little kickback from Vonage and it doesn't cost you. Let me know.

I previously posted that my Directivo dial-ins worked without any modifications. Well, it appears that this is unreliable after some experience. So just in case I am withdrawing my offer of a modem - sorry! However, it works just great with the external modem, which was easy and cheap to implement.
Um, how unreliable?
scottt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 01:30 AM   #99
qposner

So whats the final verdict on the newere Motorola ATA's??? I have been with Vonage since last summer and have a Cisco ATA. Intitally the Motorolas were having problems with voice and the C iscos were reliable. However, if the nrew Motorolas are more reliable AND the HDVR2 is making calls, I may have to see if Vonage will swap mine out.

So, whats the verdict??!!! Any help is, as always, appreciated.
qposner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 01:31 AM   #100
qposner

So whats the final verdict on the newer Motorola ATA's??? I have been with Vonage since last summer and have a Cisco ATA. Intitally the Motorolas were having problems with voice and the C iscos were reliable. However, if the nrew Motorolas are more reliable AND the HDVR2 is making calls, I may have to see if Vonage will swap mine out.

So, whats the verdict??!!! Any help is, as always, appreciated.
qposner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 04:26 PM   #101
Don_Corneo

PhilEkins

Quote:
Originally posted by PhilEkins
semi off topic but does anybody have regular D* receivers that they are using w/ vonage and did they work ok over the broadband phoneline ??

I have been using regular D*TV receivers on Vonage for a couple of years. They make their calls as needed. I have not had a problem with them.

Last edited by Don_Corneo : 02-24-2004 at 11:17 AM.
Don_Corneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 07:20 PM   #102
gfoulks

Being a new Vonage customer I have one of the newer Moto's and it works just fine with my DirecTivo. Simply put

,*99,1AREACODE in the dial prefix and make your call. Works every time for me.
Phillips DSR-704 / 120 SD hrs
JVC 52" HD-ILA
gfoulks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 03:55 AM   #103
expoke

Newbie here. Same problem. Cisco ATA and Philips DirecTV 7000 and won't work with Vonage.

When you say it works with the Moto, do you mean that you've not had to modify the internal modem speed as described at the beginning of this post? I have the Cisco and if it would be easier to swap out for a Moto, that's what I'll do...

Just completed the instructions as detailed in the opening post, but every time it gets to the dialing step, it fails, stating that the line is busy...

Last edited by expoke : 02-23-2004 at 04:19 AM.
expoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 08:40 AM   #104
aristoBrat

Quote:
Originally posted by Don_Corneo
The main thing is to keep hammering Tivo for a solution. They created the problem. We have paid a lot of money for their equipment and I did not see any warnings about Tivo not working over Voip systems. I believe absence of such warnings makes Tivo responsible for coming up with a viable solution that does not require us (end users) to buy/build a fix.
Actually, if you're using your TiVo, that means you pressed "Select to Agree to TiVo's terms and services" on one of the setup screens.
Quote:
TiVo Service Terms and Conditions
No functionality is represented or should be expected with respect to TiVo DVRs without a paid subscription to the TiVo service. Receipt of TiVo service is subject to the terms of the TiVo Service Agreement. The TiVo service is accessed through a standard telephone line and is available as a local call in most areas. In some areas, local and long-distance toll charges may apply.
I'm all for finding a solution, but the idea that TiVo is at fault for their equipment not working on a non-standard phone solution that you chose is .... aggravating.
aristoBrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 10:14 AM   #105
nerdtech

If I was able EASILY to have my USB ports on my DirecTiVo active to receive information, I would LOVE that. HMO option available or not - this is something that is NOT an outrageous request.

Last edited by nerdtech : 02-23-2004 at 10:43 AM.
nerdtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 10:35 AM   #106
expoke

It's not DirecTVs or Tivo's responsibility to fix the Series 2 DirecTivo connection limitations because of a user agreement? That's laughable and absurd. You must work for these companies to find this expectation aggravating.

I've got USB ports in the back they are fond of pointing out, but have no further function on my DirecTivo Series 2 than to be a really neat place to stick my finger in... THAT'S aggravating!

Yes if you call Tivo, they will just pass us D*Tivo guys to DirecTV for answers, and DirecTV has said the same thing for months now: We have absolutely no idea when we will enable the ports and fix this problem. THAT'S aggravating!
Old 02-23-2004, 10:47 AM   #107
aristoBrat

Quote:
Originally posted by expoke
It's not DirecTVs or Tivo's responsibility to fix the Series 2 DirecTivo connection limitations because of a user agreement? That's laughable and absurd. You must work for these companies to find this expectation aggravating.
The fact that their modem doesn't work on a Voice-over-IP telephone connection isn't any more of a "connection limitation" than the fact that their modem doesn't work over a Cellular telephone connection.

The product was designed to work over a standard telephone line. It does. To honestly think that DTV is responsible to make it work over every telephone technology is what aggravates me. THE ISSUE ISN'T THAT THE DIRECTIVO DOESN'T WORK, IT'S THAT VONAGE DOESN'T WORK LIKE A STANDARD PHONE LINE. Make Vonage responsible for having VOIP act like a standard phone line and the problem is fixed.

If you want to rant about USB ports not being active so you can make broadband phone calls, post in a "I WANT MY HMO NOW" thread. God knows there are plenty of them here.
Old 02-23-2004, 10:50 AM   #108
aristoBrat

Quote:
Originally posted by Don_Corneo
VOIP is a standard telephone line actually. The only difference is that it works over a digital backback instead of an analog one.
Do you really want to stand by that statement?
Old 02-23-2004, 11:10 AM   #109
expoke

That link does not allow us to submit our question once we select what unit we have. Once again, we are referred to DirecTV.
Old 02-23-2004, 11:28 AM   #110
Don_Corneo

Quote:
Originally posted by aristoBrat
Do you really want to stand by that statement?
Actually, I do. Every other piece of equipment I have that was/is manufactured to operate over "standard phone line(s)" does. My other D*TV receivers work fine over Vonage. The D*TV receiver that my DVR replaced made it's calls with no problems. My internal fax modem (which was built way before VOIP works great over Vonage, clearer faxes then over analog service lines. And Vonage is looking into what they can do for its customers. I had a Vonage tech spend 2 hours with me trying everything he could. I had a D*TV tech do the same.

And as pointed out in another post I read related to this problem, TiVo (NOT D*TV) required the use of a piece of hardware that defies the current standard for modems, in that it cannot negotiaite speed. It is beyond reason (except it would cost TiVo less per call; businesses pay for the actual length of time a line is used) why TiVo would have a modem built (as per TiVo specs) this way.

As a side note, I have seen posts (on other boards) about homes with older wiring have had to be rewired to work with TiVo. In at least one case the phone company had to switch the "line pair" to a house because the lines had degraded and TiVo would not connect. Had TiVo used a standard modem, none of this would be an issue. So, yes, this is TiVo's fault. All they needed to do was use current modem standards instead of reinventing the telegraph.
Old 02-23-2004, 11:36 AM   #111
Don_Corneo

Quote:
Originally posted by expoke
That link does not allow us to submit our question once we select what unit we have. Once again, we are referred to DirecTV.
The link should send you to http://customersupport.tivo.com/caseSelector.asp?. If it doesn't, try copy/paste. If you still don't get in, select a different DRV that is NOT a D*TiVo unit. Continue until you come to a page that has "Contact support" with two selection boxes and a text box, as described in my previous post above with the link.
Old 02-23-2004, 11:59 AM   #112
expoke

Ok I specified a different model and submitted it. I anticipate they'll just use that misrepresentation as an excuse to pass me off, but we'll see... I'll advise when I hear something.

Another idea to bring this issue to their attention is for someone to set a date in advance, far enough to publicize it sufficiently here and among other circles, and on that date we'll all call Tivo/DirecTV and express our frustration with this problem. People could call anytime, as often as they want.

One more idea, and one that may avoid wait times on the telephone: We could all send a standard letter to the same locations as well. Wouldn't take long to cut/paste text into word, put a stamp on it and throw it in the mail.

I'm up for both ideas. They say the pen is mightier than the sword. Not as much fun though...haha
Old 02-23-2004, 01:14 PM   #113
bonscott87
Done.

Don, I'm not sure why you think it's Tivo's problem.

Vonage states specifically that analog dial-up modems will not work with their service. Period. They fact that some work and some don't is all in the YMMV category. Vonage doesn't support modem use through their service. How you equate that to being a Tivo problem is beyond me.

Also keep in mind that Tivo's have been around long before Vonage was the gleam in some developer's eye. Thus how could they tweak their modem protocol to work with something that didn't exist yet. Not withstanding the fact THAT VONAGE DOESN'T SUPPORT DIAL UP MODEMS ON THEIR SERVICE.

Ok, I'm done.

(2) DirecTivo's (R10, HDVR2), HR20, H21, Fortec Mercury II FTA receiver (Glorystar system)

HR20 help found at http://www.dbstalk.com
bonscott87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 02:01 PM   #114
Meinrad
dumdiddydum

Do not send these complaints to Tivo. It is not Tivo's problem in any way shape or form. DirecTivo's (actuallly DirecTv PVR's powered by Tivo) are controlled by DirecTv. They buy rights to the software and use it. Tivo can not just decided they want to do something to the software and upload it to our machines. If DirecTv would pay Tivo to fix it, then it would get fixed.

Actually, I think something to that effect was even iterated by someone form Tivo on these boards. Anything DirecTv asks them to do they will do, but they have to be asked.

If you want to bug someone, bug DirecTv, they hold all the cards.
Old 02-23-2004, 07:11 PM   #115
BioTechnician

Help, have the new motorola ata and the HDVR2 with the tivo serial cable. Also have an external us robotics 14.4 modem which i have tested with my computer to connect. The problem is when i hook the tivo serial cable to my modem it is not deteched unless i use a null modem cable adapter but does not connect. I have tried jus the serial with the ,#319 and the *99 commands but fails to negotiat every time. but when i use just the serial it does not detect my modem at all. I have tried several modems any help would be great.
BioTechnician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 07:55 PM   #116
Don_Corneo

Quote:
Originally posted by Meinrad
Do not send these complaints to Tivo. It is not Tivo's problem in any way shape or form. DirecTivo's (actuallly DirecTv PVR's powered by Tivo) are controlled by DirecTv. They buy rights to the software and use it. Tivo can not just decided they want to do something to the software and upload it to our machines. If DirecTv would pay Tivo to fix it, then it would get fixed.

Actually, I think something to that effect was even iterated by someone form Tivo on these boards. Anything DirecTv asks them to do they will do, but they have to be asked.

If you want to bug someone, bug DirecTv, they hold all the cards.

TiVo SPECIFIES what hardware and software is to be used to work with their service. D*TV's "control" is limited to the channels you get. DirecTV has no control over the hardware or software except as ALLOWED by TiVo. That is why units like mine (and it appears it is in all D*TiVo units) have two seperate modems. D*TV's modem communicates without a problem. It's the modem for TiVo that is the problem. People who use TiVo SA units also have the same problem as the D*TiVo using VOIP.
If you remove all the D*TV specific hardware/software, you are left with the almost the same hardware/software found in a SA. The basic setup of the 'motherboard' is the same, even between brands (As required by TiVo). The only software specific between D*TV and TiVo is the interaction with D*TV service programming (i.e. guide, PPV). What D*TV really does is supply a similar unit to the SA at a cheaper price and lower monthly service fee. Of course there is also the convience of having one 'box' instead of two and the dual tuners (which as far as I understand is not available in a SA). If D*TV had the DVR's built to it's own specs, then the hacks and other codes probably wouldn't be the same as SA's, if they'd work at all. I tried one code that I found on a SA board that worked exactly the same in my Samsung (who specifically builds D*TiVo's only, no SA's).
What it boils down to is D*TV pays for the right to USE the "TiVo" logo and services. The manufactures pay for the right to use the "TiVo" logo and to build the units as per TiVo specs using the required hardware and installing the required software. TiVo retains fulls rights to the hardware and software. This is most evident with the following statement I found on the TiVo site:

"As disclosed in its most recent annual report, TiVo has been awarded 49 patents and has over 100 patent applications pending. These patents and patent applications protect its original DVR software and hardware design, as well as additional features that enhance the TiVo service and enable networked home entertainment."
Also look at your system info screen where TiVo specifically states it owns and controls its software and hardware.

D*TV is owned by Hughes, who is also with Philips. But RCA, Samsung and Sony are independent (and there are a couple of others). Both Samsung and Sony make must of their own hardware and electronics, but look inside. My Samsung has a Western Digital hard drive. Samsung makes its own hard drives, so why is there another company's product in it? It costs more to build using another manufactures product. Simply because TiVo at the time required Western Digital hard drives (as with the SA). D*TV could care less what hard drive is used since they simply sold Samsung the right to manufacture receivers for them.
Maybe D*TV should have made sure the contract with TiVo required better support of the TiVo specific parts (used losely). We might be able to blame D*TV for that, but I spoke to Samsung about the problem (after all they did build it) and they informed me that TiVo, not D*TV, required the specific hardware to be used. It would have been cheaper (Equals more profit) for Samsung to use their own products, but they were not allowed to do this under manufacturing contract with TiVo.
I have to believe the reason TiVo sends use back to D*TV for tech help is because we don't pay the high rate that SA owners do (especially if you own more than one). TiVo just can't be bothered with us 'cheap' D*TiVo DVR owners.

Last edited by Don_Corneo : 02-29-2004 at 03:35 PM.
Old 02-23-2004, 08:10 PM   #117
Don_Corneo

Quote:
Originally posted by BioTechnician
Help, have the new motorola ata and the HDVR2 with the tivo serial cable. Also have an external us robotics 14.4 modem which i have tested with my computer to connect. The problem is when i hook the tivo serial cable to my modem it is not deteched unless i use a null modem cable adapter but does not connect. I have tried jus the serial with the ,#319 and the *99 commands but fails to negotiat every time. but when i use just the serial it does not detect my modem at all. I have tried several modems any help would be great.

There is a post by RedGray at the beginning of this thread that may help you. It requires you to modify some wires needed to force the modem into a mode that works with TiVo. It appears that those who have done it can connect to TiVo as needed.
Also, you can to take the DVR to someone's house that has regular analog phone service (if you don't still have one). Once you complete the initial setup, the info is stored in the unit until it is reset (so don't reset it unless you have an analog phone line available). If you can't stand the nag screens, you can take the unit to an analog phone line once a month to keep them at bay.
Other than that, you are in the same boat with the rest of us. We have to wait and see if TiVo's version 4.0 software will also be available to D*TiVo owners.

Last edited by Don_Corneo : 02-23-2004 at 09:30 PM.
Old 02-23-2004, 08:20 PM   #118
BioTechnician

',#319" does not slow the modem down it just allows you to use an external modem.
BioTechnician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 09:08 PM   #119
Don_Corneo

Quote:
Originally posted by bonscott87
Don, I'm not sure why you think it's Tivo's problem.

Vonage states specifically that analog dial-up modems will not work with their service. Period. They fact that some work and some don't is all in the YMMV category. Vonage doesn't support modem use through their service. How you equate that to being a Tivo problem is beyond me.

Also keep in mind that Tivo's have been around long before Vonage was the gleam in some developer's eye. Thus how could they tweak their modem protocol to work with something that didn't exist yet. Not withstanding the fact THAT VONAGE DOESN'T SUPPORT DIAL UP MODEMS ON THEIR SERVICE.

Ok, I'm done.
To avoid getting involved with technical problems, Vonage warns you that modems don't work with their system. This is more than likely do to problems such as that we are expierencing with the TiVo modem. Not all modems are created equal!
They do offer a dedicated fax line (read dial up modem).
Also, a Vonage tech spent 2 hours with me trying different settings, both available to users and available only to Vonage in-house, to get TiVo to connect. The tech also has TiVo and has the same problems. Vonage is limited to what they can do by the hardware at both ends (read ATA and TiVo), but they are trying to find a workable solution. The way the tech remedied his problem was by installing wireless phone jacks. But this does not work for everyone.
At this time it is all guesses, but it seems that the TiVo modem cannot handle the clearity of a digital network nor the speed of the packets over the digital network. The main problem is that the TiVo modem speed is fixed with no room for adapting to line conditions. It can not 'tell' the server to 'slow down'.

Last edited by Don_Corneo : 02-29-2004 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:22 AM   #120
bonscott87
Done.

Don,

You are forgetting the fact that Vonage STILL doesn't support dial-up modems other then fax line (which runs at 9600 or less). Call them up, look at the license agreement, check the FAQ's. It's simple: Vonage doesn't (still) support analog dialup modems. Period. You can't change the facts as much as you want to. So please, stop with your thread hijack and go complain elsewhere, maybe start your own thread. This thread for the longest time has been about helping people with technical solutions to get their DirecTivo to work over Vonage. All of your posts and replys to those posts should be removed to clean it back up to it's original state.

(2) DirecTivo's (R10, HDVR2), HR20, H21, Fortec Mercury II FTA receiver (Glorystar system)

HR20 help found at http://www.dbstalk.com
bonscott87 is offline   Reply With Quote