TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-04-2004, 02:05 PM   #301
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally posted by feldon23
A hardware realtime MPEG-2 encoder is not $1000 but it IS one of the major components in the price of standalone TiVos which start at $200.
I think there's some confusion between just what source material is expected to be encoded by such a hardware MPEG-2 encoder; SD/NTSC material, for instance, can be encoded in MP@ML using rather inexpensive and readily available equipment. But realtime MP@HL encoding of HD source material isn't readily done for even $1,000... and at the moment, much much more.

So it might be worthy of some wonder as to why at a $999 price point a decision was made not to incorporate sufficient hardware to be able to handle SD/NTSC MPEG-2 encoding, whether or not such hardware was utilized in the initial feature set. And programming data certainly is available somewhere since it's available to current standalone TiVo subscribers. But it's not, currently, available in the same satellite-delivered program info datastream by DirecTV.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 02:09 PM   #302
feldon23
MythBuster

Well if DirecTV could be assured that the HDTiVo couldn't be hacked to have schedule/guide data for cable TV then I think they might put such an input. It would do just manual recordings though.
Old 02-04-2004, 02:17 PM   #303
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Well if DirecTV could be assured that the HDTiVo couldn't be hacked to have schedule/guide data for cable TV then I think they might put such an input. It would do just manual recordings though.
On the other hand, if DirecTV wasn't subsidizing the equipment (or had recovered its subsidy on the particular piece of equipment involved) it would be a convenient way to attract a new subscriber -- one who already has much of the equipment necessary to benefit from satellite delivered programming from DirecTV.

So lets say DirecTV allowed them to be sold and used by non-DirecTV-subscribers... the investment then already has been made and DirecTV only has to convince them to get a satellite dish and start paying for programming.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-04-2004, 02:49 PM   #304
Darin
Way Left

Quote:
Originally posted by dswallow
So lets say DirecTV allowed them to be sold and used by non-DirecTV-subscribers... the investment then already has been made and DirecTV only has to convince them to get a satellite dish and start paying for programming.
But who in their right mind is going to pay $1k (or even more if that meant loss of a subsidy) for a stand-alone SD Tivo?
Darin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 02:53 PM   #305
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally posted by Darin
But who in their right mind is going to pay $1k (or even more if that meant loss of a subsidy) for a stand-alone SD Tivo?
It'd also do OTA ATSC.

Old 02-04-2004, 02:56 PM   #306
Darin
Way Left

Well that's a good point. What do those ATSC only recorders cost? Doesn't Zenith, or someone like that make one?
Old 02-04-2004, 03:04 PM   #307
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally posted by Darin
Well that's a good point. What do those ATSC only recorders cost? Doesn't Zenith, or someone like that make one?
The LG Electronics LST-3410A, which records ATSC and NTSC/analog broadcasts, single tuner recording, 120GB drive (12.5 hours HD), goes for $999.95.

Old 02-04-2004, 03:08 PM   #308
Darin
Way Left

Your point actually mirrors one I made a few months ago as a reason why I thought TiVo would be a good purchase for DirecTV.
Old 02-05-2004, 12:32 PM   #309
Skyboss

I think it's more likely the units will remain TiVo units with basic TiVo service (i.e. the Pioneer DVD/TiVo units) and then be upgradeable to full service for a monthly fee, or perhaps a discounted one time fee.

If the buy TiVo lock stock and two smoking barrels.... Damn. Talk about making cable and E* scream. No chance for such a good interface. Replay is close, but not that close.
Old 02-06-2004, 09:17 AM   #310
CPU_Nurd
Computr Song & Dance

Thumbs down

When I called Tivo last night about something else I was told they have no interest in HDTV and that DirecTV would be takeing all the calls and doing all the Service on the HDTV Tico's. Since DirecTV has told me they have no interest in OTA, I think there is a problem forming. It's for sure they would have no interest in Cable. But somebody should buy Tivo, they sure are hostile to DirecTV users, over the phone at least.
CPU
Old 02-06-2004, 09:35 AM   #311
BrettStah

Nurd, I found the following FAQ on DirecTV's site:
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/learn/...p#howdifferent

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
BrettStah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 09:36 AM   #312
BrettStah

The lesson to be learned is to NOT rely on customer service reps for information like this... come here, where the good information is!

Old 02-06-2004, 09:47 AM   #313
CPU_Nurd
Computr Song & Dance

I haven't found my solution yet, there is lots of talk but I still have a $700 reciever that can only program DirecTV. When I have a solution I will let you know. I don't see anything anywhere that sez anyone is going to support much of anything on recievers from local Antenna inputs. There may be some confusion here, they do support the local stations they retransmit over the satilite, but in my area they don't retransmit any of my 59 local Digital stations. They do retransmit 1 LA station, I live in the San Francisco East Bay area. I have more local Digital options then I do local Anolog options. One local station, KGO transmits on 7.2 nothing but the local dopler radar, talk about boring, but sometimes useful.
I need help with programming of local over the air (not satilite) stations
that are Digital. Nothing.
Old 02-06-2004, 09:54 AM   #314
BrettStah

I wasn't understanding your issue previously... your problem is that you do not have accurate guide data for your digital OTA channels, right? You may want to contact your local stations, as I suggested there, or maybe someone else here has another suggestion.

Also, I don't see what Tivo has to do with that at all...

Old 02-06-2004, 10:04 AM   #315
Darin
Way Left

Quote:
Originally posted by CPU_Nurd
...somebody should buy Tivo, they sure are hostile to DirecTV users, over the phone at least.
If you are talking about a DirecTivo (be it the current SD models, or the upcoming HD-Tivo), they are not paid to support it, and I'm sure their CSR's don't have any tools to support them being being told to re-direct those calls to DirecTV. There agreement with DirecTV is such that DirecTV is supposed to be doing the support.

What specifically are you trying to get support on?
Old 02-06-2004, 10:05 AM   #316
CPU_Nurd
Computr Song & Dance

Tivo is actually listing about 7 of my 59 Digital stations on the local survice area on the Tivo. If they supported my reciever and put the IR channel information for that reciever in sub-channel format I would have 7 local digital stations, oh and that is providing they would drive my reciever for local which they will not do. They insist on using the Tivo RF for input, they do seem to drive the IR for some reason but with the local broadcast station number, I think they are supporting 12,29 and 6 30's. I could not get them to explain what these channels worked with but I expect it's the Digital Tivo, although the statdard for digital recievers seems to be to use the Sub-Channels.
Yes, this is all very confusing to the layman, and I have had a commercial FCC license for 35 years and it took me a long time to actually realize that it's a lot like dealing with used cars, you hear what you want, you need to drive it but seeing that it's a component system it's not always easy to drive it . Thanks.
CPU
Old 02-06-2004, 10:10 AM   #317
CPU_Nurd
Computr Song & Dance

Darin
I just want a way to get programming information into a box, any box, that will allow me to record local off the air(not satillite) programming on a recorder, perferably a DVR. I have 59 local Digital stations, I can not program them to record. I thought I had the solution with the Sony HD300 but I didn't realize that NOBODY will support this feature. It looks easy enough to do, I don't need the recordings to be digital, I just need to record. I find that manual recording of Local Digital is posible and is much better on my Sampo then DirecTV local stations.
Old 02-06-2004, 10:11 AM   #318
BrettStah

I think that the chances of the current Tivos supporting HD receivers are pretty slim.

Old 02-06-2004, 10:42 AM   #319
yogislayer

Can I record SD out of new HDTV TiVo?

Hello all:

This is my first post to your forum and I never owned a TiVo unit before so please forgive my ignorance and keep the answers simple enough for a newbe to understand.

I just bought my first HDTV (Sony GWIII, KF-60WE610) and will be purchasing the new Hi Def TiVo unit as soon as it comes out. I understand that you can not record HD quality out of the TiVo onto another device, but my question is simply...

Does the new HDTV TiVo allow you to hook up a standard DVD recorder or VCR unit to its outputs and record your Hi Def show onto the DVD or video tape in standard definition? If so, which outputs on the TiVo unit can be used to do this? And can you actually do this and still use the TiVo unit as a HDTV receiver and watch television in HDTV while you are doing this? I read something about the new TiVo only putting out a signal on one set of outputs at a time. I will always have my TV connected to the DVI connector and don't want to have to disconnect the cable every time to record onto a DVD or video tape and I want to be able to watch TV while I am copying something over to DVD or video tape.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to respond to this post.

Bill
yogislayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 10:57 AM   #320
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Re: Can I record SD out of new HDTV TiVo?

Quote:
Originally posted by yogislayer
This is my first post to your forum and I never owned a TiVo unit before so please forgive my ignorance and keep the answers simple enough for a newbe to understand.

I just bought my first HDTV (Sony GWIII, KF-60WE610) and will be purchasing the new Hi Def TiVo unit as soon as it comes out. I understand that you can not record HD quality out of the TiVo onto another device, but my question is simply...

Does the new HDTV TiVo allow you to hook up a standard DVD recorder or VCR unit to its outputs and record your Hi Def show onto the DVD or video tape in standard definition? If so, which outputs on the TiVo unit can be used to do this? And can you actually do this and still use the TiVo unit as a HDTV receiver and watch television in HDTV while you are doing this? I read something about the new TiVo only putting out a signal on one set of outputs at a time. I will always have my TV connected to the DVI connector and don't want to have to disconnect the cable every time to record onto a DVD or video tape and I want to be able to watch TV while I am copying something over to DVD or video tape.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to respond to this post.
All TiVo units currently in existence as well as the DirecTV HD DVR will only output one thing... meaning you can't be displaying something different out of one output than you're watching out of another. The DirecTV HD DVR can record from two tuners at once, even while you're watching another recorded program, but cannot output two different things.

You could connect your DVD recorder to the S-Video output, but S-Video output cannot be active at the same time is the HDMI output, so while you're recording you'd either have to be watching the S-Video (or composite) outputs or watching something from a different device.

Old 02-06-2004, 11:17 AM   #321
MCodanti

Re: Re: Can I record SD out of new HDTV TiVo?

Quote:
Originally posted by dswallow
You could connect your DVD recorder to the S-Video output, but S-Video output cannot be active at the same time is the HDMI output, so while you're recording you'd either have to be watching the S-Video (or composite) outputs or watching something from a different device.
My understanding is that HDMI (or component) is active at the same time as S-Video when you are in 480i mode. He should be OK. (TiVoPony posted this information in a Yahoo forum a while back.)
MCodanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 04:04 PM   #322
feldon23
MythBuster

Quote:
Originally posted by BrettStah
Nurd, I found the following FAQ on DirecTV's site:
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/learn/...p#howdifferent
Quote:
from DirecTV.com
Films will retain their original theatrical release size and resolution, and the sound can be delivered in digital-quality 5.1-channel digital audio.
Except on HBO, Cinemax (coming to DirecTV) and Starz (coming to DirecTV), where the film is reformatted to fit your screen.
Old 02-06-2004, 04:11 PM   #323
BadlyDrawnBoy

So I am on the pre-order list for the hd tivo.

current setup is as follows the triple lnb dish with line of sight to all 3 sats.

2 Dtivos one in bedroom and one in Living room
So one side of the condo has 2 cables going into living room
the other side has 2 going into bedroom. So the 4 from the dish are split in 2 directions.

When I get my new Dtivo what will I need to do? just disconnect the DTivo in the living room and connect the 2 cables to the HDTivo?

What am I missing?

I am pretty new to the HD stuff. thanks
BadlyDrawnBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 04:31 PM   #324
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
When I get my new Dtivo what will I need to do? just disconnect the DTivo in the living room and connect the 2 cables to the HDTivo?
Yes.

If you want to be able to receive local over-the-air broadcasts, you'll need to install an antenna and either wire it into one of those coax lines using diplexers, or get a 5x4 or 5x8 multiswitch (and a diplexer on the receiver side).

If you want to retain use of the DirecTV DVR in the living room, simultaneously with the DirecTV HD DVR, you'd need to add 2 more coax lines from the dish to the living room and install a 5x8 multiswitch at the dish.

Old 02-06-2004, 04:58 PM   #325
BadlyDrawnBoy

Thanks Doug.

That sounds great so minimal interruption then. I can pop the antenna up there and get the diplexer and have the new reciever up and running without any more cable runs.

I have no need of 2 Tivos in the living room.

Wrt to OTA shows broadcast will I need that or will the NBC/CBS/FOX locals etc all be broadcast in HD by DTV. Or is that related to the O&O stuff I have been reading about.
Old 02-06-2004, 05:00 PM   #326
feldon23
MythBuster

There is no room on the DirecTV satellites to have 30 copies (or even 3 for that matter) of ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, UPN, WB, or Fox in High Definition.

Digital TV stations come in over a rooftop antenna or rabbit ears.
Old 02-06-2004, 05:04 PM   #327
duffin

Quote:
There is no room on the DirecTV satellites to have 30 copies (or even 3 for that matter) of ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, UPN, WB, or Fox in High Definition.

Digital TV stations come in over a rooftop antenna or rabbit ears.
Not necessarily true.

CBS-HD East and West is available on DirecTV and DISH today.

FOX-HD is coming to DirecTV.

There is rumor that ABC And NBC are not far behind.

Of course, all the above is if you have a waiver from your local affiliate that is NOT an Owned and Operated (O&O) station by the network.

See the AVS Forum for more details.
duffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 05:06 PM   #328
BadlyDrawnBoy

That's all I need to know thanks for answering my questions.

robert
Old 02-06-2004, 05:24 PM   #329
feldon23
MythBuster

He can get CBS-HD in San Francisco.
Old 02-06-2004, 05:38 PM   #330
hongcho

duffin,

I am sure DirecTV will eventually get there. But as of now, they do not have enough bandwidth for all those channels, and that's a fact. The only reason people are saying those things is because of the immenant launch of the new DirecTV 7S satellite (which is pushed to April, I think), which is hoped to create more capacity.

In the mean time, your best bet would be an indoor/outdoor antenna.

Hong.