TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-30-2004, 04:21 PM   #271
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally posted by gregggreg
I've searched through this thread and this forum trying to find an answer to this exact question and haven't found it. I apologize in advance if this has been answered already.

I have pretty much the most simple DTivo setup currently. I have one round 18" dual LNB dish on my roof. Two lines come down my house and into my one DTivo with dual tuners. That's it.

I am thinking of going HD once the HD DTivo comes out. Right now I am just thinking about replacing my current DTivo with the HD DTivo.

Here are my assumptions so far from trying to grok all of the vast amounts of wonderful data in this forum:

1) I have to get a new oval sat dish to replace my current round 18" dish
2) I can run two lines (the same two I already have running from the current dish to my living room) from a 4x4 multiswitch (built into the dish?) to new HD Dtivo in my living room, therefore not having to run any new lines.

Are these assumptions correct? I'm pretty sure I'll be able to replace my current dish with a new dish and I am trying to avoid having to run more lines from my roof to my living room here. I've seen many posts similar to this, but most mention many lines, multiple receivers, multiswitches, and much more complicated setups than that I have.
Yes, that's all you need to do... replace the dish; the Phase III 3-LNB dish has a multiswitch built-in, and you'll just move the coax lines going into your house over to the new dish, then just hook up the DirecTV HD DVR in place of the DirecTV DVR you're using now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 05:01 PM   #272
gimp

Thanks to this thread I was able to preorder the new HD DirecTiVo. I've read that D* may require an additional year of programming commitment when existing customers (like me) activate new equipment. Will the same be true of my new HD DirecTiVo (when I get it)? I don't have a problem with it, but seems like we should get something in exchange for an additional year of commitment (other than getting activated). I've already got a triple-LNB, HD D* box, etc.
gimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 05:34 PM   #273
Bigg

you could also use 3 dishes, but it is not worth it unless you have to use 3 dishes to get a decent signal.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 06:09 PM   #274
llogan

All of your statements are correct, are you going to hook an antenna up to your HDTivo? If so, it'll be a little different.
1xRCA DTC100 HD Receiver
3x35 hour Hughes HDVR2 DirecTivo 3.1
1x225 hour Philips DirecTivo 3.1
3x35 hour Philips DirecTivos 3.1
1x35 hour Series 2 Philips DirecTivo 3.1 DSR 7000
1x35 hour Sony SAT-T60 2.5
Tivo soldier since 12/99
llogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 08:05 PM   #275
jdk

Quote:
Originally posted by gimp
Thanks to this thread I was able to preorder the new HD DirecTiVo. I've read that D* may require an additional year of programming commitment when existing customers (like me) activate new equipment. Will the same be true of my new HD DirecTiVo (when I get it)? I don't have a problem with it, but seems like we should get something in exchange for an additional year of commitment (other than getting activated). I've already got a triple-LNB, HD D* box, etc.

Good question - I've been wondering this too, so I'm going to ask it in a new thread to see if we can get a complete answer...
jdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 11:48 PM   #276
need_help_plz

Re: ** HD TiVo and HD DirecTV TiVo FAQ **

nevermind
need_help_plz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 11:09 PM   #277
duffin

I tried reading the whole thread, but does anyone know the contract manufacturer for this box? I'm sure it is not a Hughes plant.
duffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 01:58 AM   #278
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally posted by duffin
I tried reading the whole thread, but does anyone know the contract manufacturer for this box? I'm sure it is not a Hughes plant.
Solectron.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-01-2004, 09:11 AM   #279
paulj
bit pusher

plant

Quote:
Solectron.
Any idea which plant? Guadalajara?

paul
paulj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 09:30 AM   #280
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Re: plant

Quote:
Originally posted by paulj
Any idea which plant? Guadalajara?
All I've ever seen is "Mexico"... do they have more than one plant in Mexico?

Old 02-01-2004, 11:02 AM   #281
paulj
bit pusher

Quote:
All I've ever seen is "Mexico"... do they have more than one plant in Mexico?
I don't believe so. I guess I know where to go to get an early pickup!

paul
paulj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 02:28 PM   #282
gregggreg

Quote:
Originally posted by llogan
All of your statements are correct, are you going to hook an antenna up to your HDTivo? If so, it'll be a little different.
I might hook up an anntena eventually. How does that change it? Does the anntena have to be on the roof? I live in San Francisco proper and I *almost* have line of sight to Sutro Tower where almost all of the HD channels are broadcast from (about 2 miles away). If I have to put an anntena on the roof and run another line from there to get OTA HD, I might just skip it. I don't watch much major network TV anyway. HD PBS would be cool though.

gregggreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 02:44 PM   #283
MitsHD

Need some input from someone who has an understanding of how the tuners in the HD Tivo will be set up. I'm in a mid-rise condo, and the building system is set up so that the HD satellite feed and the rooftop OTA antenna come in on the same coax.

I feed that into the "satellite" input on my Hughes HIRD E-86, and then select "Local in 2" on the local menu, and that works fine -- no splitter required on the back, as the Hughes splits out the OTA internally.

Does anyone know if the new unit will work the same way, or if I'll need a splitter? I know I may miss the dual tuner feature for the satellite feed, but I would like to have it for the OTA feed.

Any insight anyone has on this would be helpful as I think about configuration.
MitsHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 03:07 PM   #284
bigpuma

Quote:
Originally posted by gregggreg
I might hook up an anntena eventually. How does that change it? Does the anntena have to be on the roof? I live in San Francisco proper and I *almost* have line of sight to Sutro Tower where almost all of the HD channels are broadcast from (about 2 miles away). If I have to put an anntena on the roof and run another line from there to get OTA HD, I might just skip it. I don't watch much major network TV anyway. HD PBS would be cool though.
Being that close I would think you could use rabbit ears and get reception. I hear the Zenith silver sensor is a really good indoor antenna that would definatley work for you. The only thing is I doubt you would get NBC 11 since it is now in San Jose.
bigpuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 10:21 PM   #285
duffin

Quote:
Originally posted by paulj
I don't believe so. I guess I know where to go to get an early pickup!

paul
I've placed work with Solectron in the past and their MO is to ramp in Mexico to get it right, then go to higher quantity runs in Asia. On the other hand, plants actually compete for projects, so manufacturing over the long-term may stay in Mexico if they can compete at the higher volumes.
Old 02-01-2004, 10:30 PM   #286
DTV TiVo Dealer
Snr. Member/Retailer

Quote:
Originally posted by MitsHD
Need some input from someone who has an understanding of how the tuners in the HD Tivo will be set up. I'm in a mid-rise condo, and the building system is set up so that the HD satellite feed and the rooftop OTA antenna come in on the same coax.

I feed that into the "satellite" input on my Hughes HIRD E-86, and then select "Local in 2" on the local menu, and that works fine -- no splitter required on the back, as the Hughes splits out the OTA internally.

Does anyone know if the new unit will work the same way, or if I'll need a splitter? I know I may miss the dual tuner feature for the satellite feed, but I would like to have it for the OTA feed.

Any insight anyone has on this would be helpful as I think about configuration.
The HD-DVR250 has a separate coax input for the off-air signal, so you will need your di-plexer to separate the signals.

Good news is the HD-DVR250 splits the OTA signal to support the dual OTA ATSC tuners.
DTV TiVo Dealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 10:32 PM   #287
duffin

Most likely Guadalajara
Old 02-01-2004, 10:39 PM   #288
Joe Smith
Medium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MitsHD
Need some input from someone who has an understanding of how the tuners in the HD Tivo will be set up.
If you can tune to the UPN station by going to Channel 44, then tuning to Channel 45 will not be a problem. The OTA HDTV tuners use the ordinary over-the-air VHF and UHF frequencies.

I live in Fremont and am able to get all the OTA digital channels from SF on a 9-inch diameter UHF antenna. I get the San Jose NBC channel via rabbit ears.

KTVU SD=2 HD=56
KRON SD=4 HD=57
KPIX SD=5 HD=29
KGO SD=7 HD=24
KQED SD=9 HD=30
KNTV SD=11 HD=12
KBWB SD=20 HD=19
KICU SD=36 HD=52
KBHK SD=44 HD=45
Joe Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 04:21 PM   #289
Skyboss

Of course the final question on an OpenCable TiVo box. Since cable co's are the primary members, as are Motorola and SA. One has to wonder if they will shut TiVo out...At least in the short term to get a head start.
Old 02-03-2004, 05:25 PM   #290
feldon23
MythBuster

With OpenCable, TiVo has a chance, but Motorola and Scientific Atlanta have head starts and their flimsy boxes are being given away for free/cheap.
Old 02-03-2004, 10:03 PM   #291
hallerbach

Quote:
Originally posted by dswallow
The HDTiVo will not be able to encode anything; so it cannot record OTA local analog signals -- only those delivered over satellite or OTA digital signals.
Is there any kind of workaround for this (other than a VCR)? What about future plans to convert the analog signals to a format that the PVR can record? Is this technically feasible?

the problem for me is that I am in a market (Reno, NV) that has no plans to offer networks over direct TV (at least not in 2004).

Thanks.
hallerbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 10:24 PM   #292
feldon23
MythBuster

This is the HDTV TiVo forum. I assume you want to get your local channels in HDTV?

Enter you ZIP code here and click on the colors to see what size antenna you need. Then look at the beginning of this FAQ. If you are in a house, you can put a rooftop or attic-mounted Channel Master and get good recption for ~$50.

http://www.antennaweb.org/

By the way, Reno, NV analog locals will be available from DirecTV in April 2004. A 3LNB dish will be required, which I'd assume you will already have installed to get DirecTV's HDTV offerings!.
Old 02-04-2004, 12:54 AM   #293
emunro

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by dswallow
The HDTiVo will not be able to encode anything; so it cannot record OTA local analog signals -- only those delivered over satellite or OTA digital signals.
For $1,000 I would expect an encoder. Anything less is cheap, lazy, narrow-minded, and discourages market share.

The competition will deliver the no-brainer features and TiVo will suffer. We need encoders on DTiVo boxes and video extraction to stay loyal to the TiVo products.
emunro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 12:57 AM   #294
feldon23
MythBuster

Sorry but you're full of crap. They cannot deliver an HDTiVo for $1,000 with an encoder and why the hell would anyone who wants to watch fuzzy crappy analog channels buy a $1,000 HDTV TiVo?
Old 02-04-2004, 01:22 AM   #295
emunro

Quote:
Originally posted by feldon23
Sorry but you're full of crap. They cannot deliver an HDTiVo for $1,000 with an encoder and why the hell would anyone who wants to watch fuzzy crappy analog channels buy a $1,000 HDTV TiVo?
I assure you that I am very sincere. It's called an all-in-one box. Some programming is only available on cable and/or analog OTA. Why force me to use a VCR or purchase a standalone unit to record the shows I want to watch? If given the choice, I would purchase the product that I found most useful. The tuners are already there, they just need to add an encoder chip.
emunro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 11:42 AM   #296
hongcho

It's just that an HD MPEG-2 encoder isn't cheap. A hardware realtime MPEG-2 encoder seems to be by itself, at least, more than $1000. And with two tuners, you need two encoders.

Hong.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:59 AM   #297
hongcho

I guess you wouldn't need an HD encoder for those cable channels. But still, it would have added at least a couple of hundred dollars more.

Also, that would have made their system quite more complex and would have delayed the product even further (not to mention the costs). I think this is a very good first HD product.

Hong.
Old 02-04-2004, 12:10 PM   #298
Darin
Way Left

Quote:
Originally posted by emunro
The tuners are already there, they just need to add an encoder chip.
If I'm not mistaken, the tuners are NOT already there. The only tuners it has are satellite tuners and ATSC tuners. Not analog NTSC tuners. If you are saying you want a product that is like the HD-Tivo and SD standalone combined (add an SD tuner and encoder), then the cost add would probably be similar to the differential price between a stand-alone TiVo and a standard DirecTiVo (a couple hundred dollars). But the market that would want something like that is VERY small. By year end, DirecTV will be able to provide over 93% of the market with local channels via satellite... developing such a box for 7% just doesn't make good business sense. ESPECIALLY when a very small percentage of that 7% even has HD (they never combined the SD TiVo with the SD DirecTivo, so the chances here are even slimmer). I know that doesn't help you, but that's just the way it is.

I just don't think you're going to have any option beyond two devices (like an HD-TiVo and an SD stand-alone TiVo), unless and until your local cable company provides you with a better option.
Darin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 01:59 PM   #299
feldon23
MythBuster

A hardware realtime MPEG-2 encoder is not $1000 but it IS one of the major components in the price of standalone TiVos which start at $200.

An HDTiVo with a single analog tuner/input would cost an additional $50-100 AND would dramatically increase the complexity of the software development and program guide info. How is the TiVo supposed to know what is on that analog input?
Old 02-04-2004, 02:01 PM   #300
bobp

So Feldon, now that we are all about to add more DTivos to our households (my 'old' Hughes is headed to the bedroom), have you seen any new stacker solutions that will allow us to truly stack 3-LNB signals on a single strand of coax? A Super-Duper-Stacker?

If such a solution actually exists, I don't envy you in creating the graphic;-)

Thanks Feldon!

B

Last edited by bobp : 02-04-2004 at 02:10 PM.
bobp is offline   Reply With Quote