TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-26-2004, 08:39 PM   #241
Darin
Way Left

Re: Re: Re: Re: Still confused...

Quote:
Originally posted by jautor
You're fine... IIRC, HD component outputs are not affected by any of the copyright protection issues...
I think TECHNICALLY (legally), that is only true of the OTA stations, and possibly basic channels (??). I haven't kept up with everything, but I THINK they can downrez the output of non-protected outputs IF it's premium content (like PPVs, HBO, etc.). Whether or not they'll actually take advantage of that, is yet to be seen.
Darin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 09:21 PM   #242
Marty M

ANY RESPONSES WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

(1) Will the HD-DVR250 include a signal strength meter for HD OTA?

(2) I'll rountinely copy programs from the HD-DVR250 to a Pioneer Elite DVD-R. The Pioneer only has an S-Video or composite input at 480i -- which would be typical of most recording devices or a VCR.

My understanding is that you can easily switch from standard definition to high definition with the remote or the front of the unit itself.

But what happens to the connections on the back?

Does the unit switch automatically from HD component to SD S-video or composite?

Robert with Value Electronics says it does.

However, Feldon23 in a response on a different thread said that you must go into the set-up each time to switch from Component to S-Video/Composite.

This is an IMPORTANT ISSUE for anyone who plans on transferring and archiving recordings to a VCR or a DVD-R.

If Feldon is right, we'll have to go into the setup and manually switch from component to S-video output each and every time that we want to archive to a VCR.

And then have to go into setup and switch back in order to watch HD.

This would be a real pain in the b*** if Feldon is right. And is a really dumb design. I already have a stand-alone TIVO and rountinely archive recordings -- as I'm sure is true of many of the forum participants.

Can anyone who has seen the unit or a manual comment on how it works?
Marty M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 09:35 PM   #243
rogo

"...but I THINK they can downrez the output of non-protected outputs IF it's premium content"

Not really. In fact, everyone agreed this wouldn't happen in the cable deal. Now there is an out. If somehow, Hollywood railroads Dish and/or DirecTV, then cable TV can down-rez the component.

Chances of this happening? I'd say essentially zero.

Mark
rogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 09:36 PM   #244
rogo

Oh, and if Feldon really did say that, I'm fairly certain he is wrong.

It has been established that if the HD out is set for 480i, you'll get simultaneous output over composite and S-video.

To switch from component to HDMI, now that might well require a trip to the setup... But that doesn't affect the issue above.
rogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 09:37 PM   #245
MCodanti

Quote:
Originally posted by Marty M
My understanding is that you can easily switch from standard definition to high definition with the remote or the front of the unit itself.

But what happens to the connections on the back?

Does the unit switch automatically from HD component to SD S-video or composite?

Robert with Value Electronics says it does.

However, Feldon23 in a response on a different thread said that you must go into the set-up each time to switch from Component to S-Video/Composite.
This has been gone over in many other threads.. TiVoPony (works for TiVo) says that when you select 480i it will output S-Video, Composite, and then either Component or HDMI based on your menu selection.
MCodanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 09:55 PM   #246
Hootydog

Thank you gentlemen

A little late but thank you for your timely and reassuring answers. Sounds like I'll be good to go as soon as March rolls around.

Great thread, and forum you have. Unlike some I visit, (most) all here seem very friendly and helpful even to dense newbies like me. Personally, I have no use for trolls and personal attacks so prevalent elsewhere.

Keeping it light with opinions encouraged and BS not tolerated encourages people to keep coming back IMHO.

I look forward to continuing to track the progress of the release of HD Tivo with all your help.

Keep up the great work.

Chappy
Hootydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 11:20 PM   #247
feldon23
MythBuster

Quote:
Marty M said:
do you have to go into the setup and manually switch from component to S-video output each and every time?
The FAQ could be clearer on this. When the TiVo is in 480i mode, then the S-Video and Composite outputs become active. No need to switch with the remote or button on the unit.

Quote:
Marty M said:
(3) What is the smallest external mast diameter that the Phase III dish can be mounted on when it is screwed down?
This is a general DirecTV question so I'll leave that to the DTV forum.

Quote:
Marty M said:
(4) If I buy the HD-DVR250 and two standard receivers -- would the switch that comes with the Phase III dish be enough? For both the HD and two standard receivers to receive all possible channels?
The diagram in the FAQ answers this.

Quote:
Marty M said:
(5) In addition to the HD-DVR250 I planned on buying the Huges Executive Director HAH-SA. The manual is rather confusing -- can it take only 27 total favorite channels or is it 27 x 3 for a total of 81 favorite channels?
Not an HD TiVo question.

Quote:
Marty M said:
I was going based on early preliminary information. That info has since been updated. I will update the FAQ.

Quote:
vonzoog said:
I'm I to understand that you may be able to hook a cable feed into the OTA input on the new HD TiVo? If so, could this solve the problem of local HD channels? I.E. : Could you possibly run a basic cable feed with local HD station through the OTA input and still have all of D* HD prgramming with the D* subscribtion? Would the new HD TiVo unit be able to record the cable feed HD broadcast?
Sure, this will work for South Chicago and nowhere else on earth. South Chicago has the only cable service in the USA that carries their local channels in HD "free and clear" as an 8VSB signal.

Quote:
vonzoog said:
And one last thing, could someone please explain "QAM256" to me.
QAM is the standard encoding standard for 90% of cable systems in the USA. In all but a few markets, this is encrypted QAM so even if there was an HDTiVo that spoke QAM, it wouldn't have the keys/passwords neccesary to record or play this material in most markets.
Old 01-27-2004, 12:03 AM   #248
Marty M

Thanks very much to Feldon and MCodanti for responding to my questions. It is greatly appreciated.

My apologies if I posed a question covered in previous threads -- I wouldn't have asked if I had seen those other threads. I only saw the previous thread/response by Feldon that I referenced -- why is why I asked. It is an important issue -- at least for me.

Thanks again. I will dump DISH in March and switch to HD TiVo.
Marty M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 06:35 PM   #249
Jacquelyn

Quote:
Originally posted by feldon23
The FAQ could be clearer on this. When the TiVo is in 480i mode, then the S-Video and Composite outputs become active. No need to switch with the remote or button on the unit.
Will the 480i signal also be sent via the component output? I know this has been discussed but I'm still not clear (and info seems to still be coming in).
Jacquelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 06:57 PM   #250
feldon23
MythBuster

480i is always output on S-Video, Composite, and the HDTV output you've chosen.

So either:
S-Video, Composite, Component
or:
S-Video, Composite, HDMI (DVI with adapter)
Old 01-27-2004, 07:25 PM   #251
Jacquelyn

Whole House Video Issue:

Well that seems to solve 95% of my initial whole house video issues.

With the limited drive size of the stock HD Tivo, our other DirecTiVos and our travel schedule - what we record on that Tivo will be "sit down and watch" programs rather than the "walk around the house" variety. With the exception of visiting the kitchen/bar which has the 2nd plasma.

I bought a component video and digital audio selector with two outputs so that took care of seeing HDTV programming on the two plasma screens via component.

Then on the few instances where one of us wanted to finish watching a program in another room, the one watching the plasma would just have to watch the 480 signal.

Not a perfect solution and one I hope gets addressed in the next version, but workable for now.
Jacquelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 08:43 PM   #252
oleus

quick question on setup of directv hdtivo

i currently have two dual tuner directivos and one RCA DTC100 HD dtv receiver inside my tv. this comes from the dual arm lnb with sat C and a multiswitch outside.

will i be able to utilize all the recording capacities of the hdtivo? my two directivos see all the channels except the the HD satellite, while my HD receiver gets everything. but i'm guessing with my current setup i won't be able to use dual-tuners to record two HD channels at once, will I, unless one of them is OTA.

since the new HD Tivo will be replacing one of my current directivos (and making my DTC100 obsolete)...i'm windering if i can change my multiswitch wiring?

thanks...i know this may sound confusing.
oleus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 09:20 PM   #253
hongcho

With your current setting, you won't be able to record ANY HD channels.

With an HD Tivo, you will be able to record ANY TWO (2) channels whether they are on OTA, SAT or one on each.

When you replace both the dual-tuner DirecTivos and the HD receiver (3 satellite cables and possibly one OTA cable) with an HD Tivo (2 satellite cables + 1 OTA cable), you will have one satellite cable unused, and don't need to touch the multiswitch.

I hope I got that right.

Hong.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:29 PM   #254
llogan

Everything you wrote Hong is spot on. One minor consideration, I'm unsure about what type of multiswitch he has and whether or not he'll be putting up an antenna. If he puts up an antenna and the multiswitch supports bridging the OTA signal then it might change things for him a little.

Basically, from an HD satellite perspective, Hong's totally right and nothing changes.

I'd personally recommend running a line from the antenna directly to the HD Tivo for OTA. But he may choose to input it into the multiswitch if his multiswitch is capable, which it may not be.
1xRCA DTC100 HD Receiver
3x35 hour Hughes HDVR2 DirecTivo 3.1
1x225 hour Philips DirecTivo 3.1
3x35 hour Philips DirecTivos 3.1
1x35 hour Series 2 Philips DirecTivo 3.1 DSR 7000
1x35 hour Sony SAT-T60 2.5
Tivo soldier since 12/99
llogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 11:50 PM   #255
oleus

alright ....i'm a litte confused about something here. maybe i wasn't clear about my current setup.

if i run the line currently going to my HD DirecTV receiver (DTC100) into the new HD DirectTivo, *and* the two feeds currently going to my directivo (that is currently in the same room as the HD Directv receiver inside my TV), AND the OTA antenna i have in the room (RCA double bowtie), why would i not be able to record any HD?

as it stand now i use two different directv receivers in the room i have my HDTV in. one is inside my tv that I use mainly for HD (but i get all the channels) and then the dual tuner Directivo for recording.

you see, i am planning on not using the DirectV HD receiver inside my TV when i get an HD Directivo and also replacing the old directivo with this new unit.
Old 01-28-2004, 12:23 AM   #256
bigpuma

Quote:
Originally posted by oleus

if i run the line currently going to my HD DirecTV receiver (DTC100) into the new HD DirectTivo, *and* the two feeds currently going to my directivo (that is currently in the same room as the HD Directv receiver inside my TV), AND the OTA antenna i have in the room (RCA double bowtie), why would i not be able to record any HD?
You would, although you would only run 2 of the 3 DirecTV lines into the HD Directivo plus 1 OTA line (split into 2 by the HD directivo).
bigpuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 02:20 AM   #257
oleus

well, i also seem to remember that my directv installer said that 1 (mayhe 2) of my directivo inputs had access to the HD satellite just because of the way the multiswitch works

i guess i need to figure out which of my tuners has access to NASA tv, because that means that input would have HD access, right? they're still on the same bird as the DirecTV HD, right?
Old 01-28-2004, 01:44 PM   #258
hongcho

> well, i also seem to remember that my directv installer said that 1 (mayhe 2) of my directivo inputs had access to the HD satellite just because of the way the multiswitch works

Your DirecTV tuner (be it an SD recever, an HD receiver, or an SD Tivo) can "see" any signals on any transponder from three satellites (if you have all three LNBs, that is).

It's just that only an HD receiver will know what to do with an HD DirecTV channel (e.g., HDNet, HBO-HD, etc.).

> if i run the line currently going to my HD DirecTV receiver (DTC100) into the new HD DirectTivo, *and* the two feeds currently going to my directivo (that is currently in the same room as the HD Directv receiver inside my TV), AND the OTA antenna i have in the room (RCA double bowtie), why would i not be able to record any HD?

Currently, you have

- One (1) sat cable to DTC100.
- One (1) OTA cable to DTC100.
- Two (2) sat cables to SD DirecTivo.

Correct? With this set-up, as I said above, the SD DirecTivo won't know what to do with HD channels, such as HDNet. So, you are not able to record HD channels. You can record HBO, but you are not able to record HBOHD on 509.

If you intend to keep your SD DirecTivo with the new HD DirecTivo, you are short of one sat cable since an HD DirecTivo needs two (2) sat cables. However, if you get rid of the SD DirecTivo, you will have one (1) sat cable left over.

And only with an HD DirecTivo, you will be able to record HD channels.

Is this any clearer, or am I confusing you even further?

Hong.
Old 01-28-2004, 01:49 PM   #259
tach32000

Network feeds HD?

I have no HD equiptment at the moment, but I am looking.

I called DirectTv and was told that with and HD receiver and dish, I could view HD programming off of my network feeds, ie. CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX if the show that the network was broadcasting was in HD.

Is this correct?

Thanks,
Brian
tach32000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 02:23 PM   #260
oleus

hongcho -

this is my exact setup :

i have 5 lines coming into my house. 2 pairs of 2 for the two directivos, and one for my HD receiver (that line sees all 3 birds - the 4 directivo lines do not , although i think 1 of the 4 does because of teh way my multisiwtch is routed). I plan on dumping the downstairs SD Directivo for the HD Tivo (i also plan on not using the DTC100 anymore)...so that would be 3 feeds (1 HD) available for the HD Tivo, right? (and a 4th from my OTA antenna)...

by my calculations i'll have full dual tuner SD recording with the HD Tivo, plsu 1 tuner of DirectV HD and OTA. is this correct?

i know that the regular SD Directivos can't record HD...i was actually asking about the upcoming HD Tivos and my setup.

my main concern is whether i'll need a new multiswitch. i know my current setup won't allow for simultaneous recording of 2 DirectV HD channels...but i am willing to live with that since i can record OTA simultaneously.
Old 01-28-2004, 02:56 PM   #261
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Re: Network feeds HD?

Quote:
Originally posted by tach32000
I have no HD equiptment at the moment, but I am looking.

I called DirectTv and was told that with and HD receiver and dish, I could view HD programming off of my network feeds, ie. CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX if the show that the network was broadcasting was in HD.

Is this correct?
Only if you also connected an antenna to it and you had local stations broadcasting a digital signal in your area -- and what you see isn't limited to HD broadcasts.

Friday, CBS-HD will be available on DirecTV by satellite, but only to a subset of people -- generally those in areas served by CBS-owned&operated stations.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 03:00 PM   #262
tach32000

Distant Network Signals not HD for shows?

Thank you for replying, and I apologize for asking this another way....

Right now with with the 119 dish and HD receiver and my DNS (CBS, ABC, etc)
When a program says "broadcast in HD where available"

Will I get that signal in HD from DirectTv?

Thanks,
Brian
tach32000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 03:07 PM   #263
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Re: Distant Network Signals not HD for shows?

Quote:
Originally posted by tach32000
Thank you for replying, and I apologize for asking this another way....

Right now with with the 119 dish and HD receiver and my DNS (CBS, ABC, etc)
When a program says "broadcast in HD where available"

Will I get that signal in HD from DirectTv?
No. DirecTV does not provide HD locals anywhere (except what I mentioned about CBS-HD beginning Friday). All locals are just their standard SD/NTSC signal.

The only way to get them with the DirecTV receiver is to use an antenna to receive a local digital station broadcasting HD programming.

All DirecTV HD receivers include the ability to receive local programming over-the-air with an antenna.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-28-2004, 03:18 PM   #264
oleus

is there a list of these areas where CBS-HD will be available to DirecTV customers?
Old 01-28-2004, 03:29 PM   #265
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
is there a list of these areas where CBS-HD will be available to DirecTV customers?
The 17 markets served by CBS O&O stations are: Austin, Baltimore, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Los Angeles, Marquette, Miami, Minneapolis, New York, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Salt Lake City, San Francisco, and Green Bay.

Except for Los Angeles and New York area subscribers, you won't qualify to receive CBS-HD if there's a non-owned&operated CBS station that also claims you as a viewer.

Old 01-28-2004, 04:03 PM   #266
hongcho

So, the setup is a bit more complicated than necessary.

Quote:
i have 5 lines coming into my house. 2 pairs of 2 for the two directivos, and one for my HD receiver (that line sees all 3 birds - the 4 directivo lines do not , although i think 1 of the 4 does because of teh way my multisiwtch is routed). I plan on dumping the downstairs SD Directivo for the HD Tivo (i also plan on not using the DTC100 anymore)...so that would be 3 feeds (1 HD) available for the HD Tivo, right? (and a 4th from my OTA antenna)...

by my calculations i'll have full dual tuner SD recording with the HD Tivo, plsu 1 tuner of DirectV HD and OTA. is this correct?
Before:

- 2 sat cables (don't see all sat's) to SD DirecTivo #1.
- 2 sat cables (only one sees all sat's) to SD DirecTivo #2.
- 1 sat cable (sees all sat's) to DTC100.
- 1 OTA cable to DTC100.

After dumping one SD DirecTivo (#2) and DTC100:

- 2 sat cables (don't see all sat's) to SD DirecTivo #1.
- 2 sat cables (sees all sat's, one from SD DirecTivo #2 and the other from HTC100) to HD DirecTivo.
- 1 OTA cable to HD DirecTivo.
- 1 sat cable (don't see all sat's from SD DirecTivo #2) to nothing.

This will make you happy, I think.

Hong.
Old 01-28-2004, 04:15 PM   #267
oleus

great - sounds good. so it sounds like i might actually be able to dual-record directv HD with my current wiring. i'll just have a leftover feed coming into my house that won't be used. i'll also have to figure out which of my 4 current tivo feeds sees NASA to figure out which one is seeing all 3 birds. i sure hope it's one that's downstairs :-)

can't wait for april!

any word on the price tiers? i heard there was a cheaper $600 model with less recording space - is this true?

thanks for the help guys.
Old 01-28-2004, 05:55 PM   #268
hongcho

> i heard there was a cheaper $600 model with less recording space - is this true?

All rumors (that included Samsung as another HD DirecTivo manufacturer).

Hong.
Old 01-29-2004, 06:49 AM   #269
TimGoodwin
Need to time shift!

Don't know if this was answered yet but any word on a OTA signal strength meter?
TimGoodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 04:18 PM   #270
gregggreg

I've searched through this thread and this forum trying to find an answer to this exact question and haven't found it. I apologize in advance if this has been answered already.

I have pretty much the most simple DTivo setup currently. I have one round 18" dual LNB dish on my roof. Two lines come down my house and into my one DTivo with dual tuners. That's it.

I am thinking of going HD once the HD DTivo comes out. Right now I am just thinking about replacing my current DTivo with the HD DTivo.

Here are my assumptions so far from trying to grok all of the vast amounts of wonderful data in this forum:

1) I have to get a new oval sat dish to replace my current round 18" dish
2) I can run two lines (the same two I already have running from the current dish to my living room) from a 4x4 multiswitch (built into the dish?) to new HD Dtivo in my living room, therefore not having to run any new lines.

Are these assumptions correct? I'm pretty sure I'll be able to replace my current dish with a new dish and I am trying to avoid having to run more lines from my roof to my living room here. I've seen many posts similar to this, but most mention many lines, multiple receivers, multiswitches, and much more complicated setups than that I have.

Thanks for the insight you can provide.

-Greg

gregggreg is offline   Reply With Quote