TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-21-2004, 07:37 PM   #211
Bigg

Re: ** HD TiVo and HD DirecTV TiVo FAQ **

Quote:
Originally posted by feldon23
DirecTV enthusiasts have also been known to use 3 separate round dishes, each pointed at 101, 110, and 119 degree positions!
I know that if you have a dish @ 101 and a dish @ 119, you can use a 4x? multiswitch, but how do you do it with three dishes? You would have to combine SAT B and SAT C somehow. could you do this (twice) with a cable splitter b/c they are on different freqencies? How would you do this?
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 08:59 PM   #212
Darin
Way Left

You HAVE to use a Sat-C LNB for the 110 dish, and you HAVE to use the Sat-C combiner that comes in the Sat-C kit.
Darin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 09:10 PM   #213
Bigg

Ok, that makes sense. And then you go with SAT b/c and a into a 4x?. I get it.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:17 PM   #214
feldon23
MythBuster

So you get 3 regular dishes and replace one of the LNBs with the one you get in the Sat-C kit since Sat C (110) is an entirely different type of signal.

Then you use the combiner to merge the 110 signals into one side of the 119 feed, and plug the 4 wires into the 4x4 multiswitch.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:40 PM   #215
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
So you get 3 regular dishes and replace one of the LNBs with the one you get in the Sat-C kit since Sat C (110) is an entirely different type of signal.
It's not as easy as that; the SatC mounting is different than regular LNB's; you couldn't just put it on a regular 18" dish LNB arm.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 11:57 PM   #216
nabsltd

Quote:
Originally posted by dswallow
It's not as easy as that; the SatC mounting is different than regular LNB's
Huh? It has different internals for shifting the frequencies so that it can be combined with the Sat-B signals, but the LNB housing is identical in size and shape.
nabsltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 12:38 AM   #217
feldon23
MythBuster

Nothing a little duct tape won't fix.
Old 01-22-2004, 07:48 AM   #218
Darin
Way Left

Quote:
the SatC mounting is different than regular LNB's
Is it really? If so, it's a pretty subtle difference, because I never even noticed it. I have a single 30" dish pointed at 101, and a Dish500 dish picking up 110 & 119. For the sake of this post, where I described making the Sat C kit fit on the Dish500, I took this picture to show the difference in the Dishnetwork LNB mount, and the SatC (warning, I never resized that picture, so it's huge). It looks pretty similar to what I remember the regular DirecTV mounts to be. Of course, I lost my memory MANY years ago.
Darin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 11:14 AM   #219
Street81

TIVO HDTV and Cable

I just got TIVO 2 and I my cable company is going to start offering HD broadcasts. I have an HDTV so I can't wait.... The problem is the TIVO, I know it cant record HDTV but will the HD broadcast still work with the TIVO2 hooked up or do I have to unplug the TIVO. Any advice or insight would be Great!!
Street81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 11:16 AM   #220
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally posted by Darin
Is it really? If so, it's a pretty subtle difference, because I never even noticed it. I have a single 30" dish pointed at 101, and a Dish500 dish picking up 110 & 119. For the sake of this post, where I described making the Sat C kit fit on the Dish500, I took this picture to show the difference in the Dishnetwork LNB mount, and the SatC (warning, I never resized that picture, so it's huge). It looks pretty similar to what I remember the regular DirecTV mounts to be. Of course, I lost my memory MANY years ago.
I may've been confusing myself... the SatC LNB is different, sitting 1/2" or so further away from the dish, though the LNB feedhorn looks like it might be placed identically. That's what I'd meant, though I originally had thought the feedhorn was slightly differently located as well -- not that the mounting shape was in any manner different.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-22-2004, 09:33 PM   #221
nabsltd

Quote:
I may've been confusing myself... the SatC LNB is different, sitting 1/2" or so further away from the dish, though the LNB feedhorn looks like it might be placed identically.
I'd have to climb on the roof to be sure, but I think all 3 of mine (on an old 24" oval dish) are pretty close to "in line".

Any difference in positioning, though, is just to get it aligned into the right place to pick up the 110° satellite. On a single round dish, you can accomplish this by just moving the dish, as long as the LNB is at the focus of the dish.
Old 01-22-2004, 09:57 PM   #222
llogan

the Sat C LNB mounts no differently from any other LNB, but dswallow is right that the actual LNB portion is just ever so slightly further from the dish

bottom line: doesn't affect your installation of a Sat C LNB on a regular dish at all.

If I weren't worried about aesthetics, I'd definitely go the route of having one dish for every bird.
1xRCA DTC100 HD Receiver
3x35 hour Hughes HDVR2 DirecTivo 3.1
1x225 hour Philips DirecTivo 3.1
3x35 hour Philips DirecTivos 3.1
1x35 hour Series 2 Philips DirecTivo 3.1 DSR 7000
1x35 hour Sony SAT-T60 2.5
Tivo soldier since 12/99
llogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 11:07 PM   #223
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally posted by llogan
If I weren't worried about aesthetics, I'd definitely go the route of having one dish for every bird.
I think I'd tend towards the Gainmaster myself. Bigger. More signal sucking capability.

Old 01-23-2004, 05:57 PM   #224
nabsltd

He didn't say what size dish he would use for every satellite.

I'm planning on using a 30" dish for each bird when I move to a new house farther out in the country.
Old 01-23-2004, 06:23 PM   #225
Bigg

Hiw about a 48" for each? LOL
Street81: just plug them into a different inout in the TV or audio rec, and split the cable before it goes to the HD cable box and the TiVo.
EDIT:
http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_disp...&PROD=SKAUL120
along with another dish from someone else maybe...
DISHPHARM!!!!
EDIT2: the heck with the asthetics... the signal is all that matters... !!!
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Old 01-25-2004, 11:23 AM   #226
llogan

I want a dish I can sit in and that I can rotate via remote (visions of laying out in the sun on my dish...and adjusting tilt as the sun moves....

hmm wonder if my skull would act to focus the signal....brain cancer?
1xRCA DTC100 HD Receiver
Tivo soldier since 12/99
Old 01-25-2004, 02:21 PM   #227
Bigg

LOL Some bad sunburn... LOL
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Old 01-25-2004, 09:59 PM   #228
Marty M

I'd like to thank Feldon23 for the great FAQ and pose several additional questions that I couldn't find answers for. Any responses are greatly appreciated.

I am currently an HD DISH customer and am seriously considering dumping DISH and my investment in that equipment and switching to HDTV TiVo. (Just read the review of the 921 on Satellite Guys -- bear in mind that these folks try to give DISH every possible break.)

(1) Will the HD-DVR250 include a signal strength meter for HD OTA? That is very important in terms of accurate aiming of an antenna for OTA reception. The DISH 6000 includes one that is easily accessed with one push of the "view" button ; the new DISH 921 does not and has been harshly criticized for the omission.

(2) I'll rountinely copy programs from the HD-DVR250 to a Pioneer Elite DVD-R. The Pioneer only has an S-Video or composite input at 480i -- which would be typical of most recording devices or a VCR.

(a) Am I correct in my understanding that an HD 1080i recorded broadcast can be quickly switched to 480i SD for archival recording to a DVD-R or VCR via a button on the front of the HD-DVR250 or the remote?

(b) I assumed that the HD-DVR250 either would output a standard signal (480i) via all three outputs simultaneously or would act like the DISH 6000 which automatically switches HD to component and SD to S-Video/Composite.

Or do you have to go into the setup and manually switch from component to S-video output each and every time?

If so, that would be INCREDIBLY DUMB and close to a fatal flaw in the product. Many people will use the TiVO unit to routinely transfer SD to a VCR or DVD-R to archive programs. I do it all the time -- would I have to go into the setup each and every time and change the outputs? And then go back into setup to change them back every time I watch an HD program?

(3) What is the smallest external mast diameter that the Phase III dish can be mounted on when it is screwed down?

(4) If I buy the HD-DVR250 and two standard receivers -- would the switch that comes with the Phase III dish be enough? For both the HD and two standard receivers to receive all possible channels?

(5) In addition to the HD-DVR250 I planned on buying the Huges Executive Director HAH-SA. The manual is rather confusing -- can it take only 27 total favorite channels or is it 27 x 3 for a total of 81 favorite channels?
Marty M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 03:29 AM   #229
Perrin

Quote:
Fortunately every HDTV Set-Top Box on the market lets you pick the output resolution and converts between them. Very few HDTVs can handle 720p natively and many Plasmas can't handle 1080i so this is the perfect solution.
I just got Cox HDTV service, and the set top box they gave me doesn't allow me to pick output resolutions. The setup menu only lets me set up preferences...favorite channels that sort of thing.
I can't even figure out what model box this is. All I can tell is its a Motorola...no model number anywhere on the silver box.

Makes me wonder if that's why ABC shows don't look nearly as good as CBS shows.
Perrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 02:13 PM   #230
vonzoog

Re: ** HD TiVo and HD DirecTV TiVo FAQ **

[quote]Originally posted by feldon23
[b]What HDTV-enabled TiVo models will be available?

It is not known what other recording capabilities this TiVo will have or whether tuners can be active simultaneously. At this time, there is no indication that this TiVo will be compatible with any HDTV signals provided by cable TV providers in the US. This may change before product launch in light of QAM256 and OpenCable technologies.

I'm I to understand that you may be able to hook a cable feed into the OTA input on the new HD TiVo? If so, could this solve the problem of local HD channels? I.E. : Could you possibly run a basic cable feed with local HD station through the OTA input and still have all of D* HD prgramming with the D* subscribtion? Would the new HD TiVo unit be able to record the cable feed HD broadcast?

And one last thing, could someone please explain "QAM256" to me.

Thanks,
Old 01-26-2004, 03:33 PM   #231
llogan

what are you smokin? I don't see any way that the OTA input would work to allow you to record the cable HD feed. NO WAY, NO HOW, nuh-uh

I can always be wrong but I really don't think so...
1xRCA DTC100 HD Receiver
Tivo soldier since 12/99
Old 01-26-2004, 03:55 PM   #232
hongcho

There are many ways to send a signal. QAM (quadrature amplitude modulation) is one used by cable companies, and 8VSB (vestigial side band) is one used by ATSC for OTA. The satellites use something else. You can compare with radios (AM and FM).

The HD Tivo can decode signals encoded with 8VSB (for OTA) and sattelite. It would not know what to do with QAM signals.

Also, most cable signals are encrypted QAM signals, which means that most generic QAM tuner won't work.

Hong.
Old 01-26-2004, 03:55 PM   #233
BrettStah

Re: Re: ** HD TiVo and HD DirecTV TiVo FAQ **

Quote:
Originally posted by vonzoog
[I'm I to understand that you may be able to hook a cable feed into the OTA input on the new HD TiVo? If so, could this solve the problem of local HD channels? I.E. : Could you possibly run a basic cable feed with local HD station through the OTA input and still have all of D* HD prgramming with the D* subscribtion? Would the new HD TiVo unit be able to record the cable feed HD broadcast?

And one last thing, could someone please explain "QAM256" to me.

Thanks,
Did you miss the heading right above the section you quoted that says "Standalone HD TiVo -- in development"? It specifically does NOT refer to the DirecTV/Tivo model, which is described in a different section.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
BrettStah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 05:31 PM   #234
vonzoog

Hong,

Thanks for the explanation. That clears things up for me.

I guess I will go have a smoke now on llogan .
Old 01-26-2004, 06:44 PM   #235
Hootydog

Still confused...

"DirecTV HD TiVos come with a High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) connector with High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP). A cable is included for TVs with HDCP-compliant DVI inputs."

Looking for some good news, pretty please.

It seems I took a different route than some here. I geared up with HD before TIVO via the Samsung TS-160 for OTA and Directv's offerings in 2002. As much as I know I'll love TIVO, (own stock in it but no products) I've been waiting for the HD version to come out before jumping in.

Now I'm not sure I'll be able to take advantage to record my beloved HD.

I have an "older" Mitsubishi WS-55819 made in January 2002. It does not have DVI, HDMI or HDCP. I had read before that would not be a problem to take advantage of the new DirecTV HD-Tivo. I believed I would be able to use my 3 component inputs to my Mits.

Now I'm not so sure. Will the HD-Tivo work without 1) a new TV with digital video connections @ 3k+, 2) the Mits promise module @1k, or 3) some kinda $800+ adapter / converter.

Please tell me there will be a simple hook up to get me HD-Tivo.

Chappy
Hootydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 06:55 PM   #236
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Re: Still confused...

Quote:
Originally posted by Hootydog
Please tell me there will be a simple hook up to get me HD-Tivo.
The DirecTV HD DVR has component output, too.

Old 01-26-2004, 07:03 PM   #237
Hootydog

Re: Re: Still confused...

Quote:
The DirecTV HD DVR has component output, too.
So no worries for me then? , cpt maybe future copy right protection issues?.. or am I safe there too as long as I output only to my in house display(s).

Chappy
Old 01-26-2004, 07:19 PM   #238
jautor
Also wants a pony

Re: Re: Re: Still confused...

Quote:
So no worries for me then? , cpt maybe future copy right protection issues?.. or am I safe there too as long as I output only to my in house display(s).

Chappy
You're fine... IIRC, HD component outputs are not affected by any of the copyright protection issues - they were specifically called out because of all the HDTV sets like yours already in the field. So you should always be able to watch HD on the component out...

Jeff
jautor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 07:30 PM   #239
Hootydog

Thanks Jeff and Doug

So I can order the Hughes Direct TV TIVO HD-DVR and anticipate it to work fine with my set up?

...besides, of course, the issues raised in this thread (which I don't think I'll suffer from), and any "normal" early adapter yet-to-be-identified glitches.
Old 01-26-2004, 08:11 PM   #240
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Re: Thanks Jeff and Doug

Quote:
So I can order the Hughes Direct TV TIVO HD-DVR and anticipate it to work fine with my set up?

...besides, of course, the issues raised in this thread (which I don't think I'll suffer from), and any "normal" early adapter yet-to-be-identified glitches.
Yes. It will work with your display.