TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-14-2003, 10:39 AM   #61
philipsona

Note Tivo working w/vonage

I recently was looking on the message boards for a way to configure Tivo w/vonage and was told that you should use the "#019" configuration. I attempted to do this and it failed. I then went in and changed the dialing prefix to include 1 and the test call was successfully completed. This celebration might be premature as it has not completed it's daily call in, but it looks promising. I love Vonage it's features and the fact that it is a company that breaks away from the other CLECS and ILECS and makes the big boys of Bell South and MCI nervous. I will keep Vonage till the end.
philipsona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 12:45 PM   #62
directivoetherne

Does anyone know of a vendor that sells a complete solution for VOIP users for this? i.e. plug and play.
directivoetherne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 12:50 PM   #63
aristoBrat

That's a good point. Wonder if someone and 9thtee or weaknees knows there's a market for this?
aristoBrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 05:51 PM   #64
cburns14

I tried the dialing codes on my new Phillips DSR7000 unit, but I can't complete a call via my vonage account. So I like the idea someone else had about just taking the box to a friends place, and setting it up there. However, what happens once you lose power? Do you have to go through this setup all over again? If someone could answer that for me, it could save me a headache in advance if it won't work.
Thanks in advance.
cburns14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 06:13 PM   #65
aristoBrat

The initial setup (that requires a telephone) is done once when you setup your box. So long as you don't choose "Clear and Delete Everything" (or whatever it's called), you won't have to dial in again.
Old 01-02-2004, 01:27 AM   #66
Francesco
Summum Pontificem

Location: Maricopa County Maximum Security Correctional Facility For Men, State Farm Road Number 31, Tempe, Arizona
OK, question:

I want to continue using CahceCard (or Turbonet or Airnet) for the TiVo calls on my DSR6000s, but also want to order PPVs. What prefix string should I try? I have had no success getting the DirecTV calls to work using *99,#034,#401 though the broadband part works. I know it's routing the DirecTV calls because they show up on my Vonage account... about 200 a month... Should I just drop the ATA's "fax" prefix and do ,#019,#401?
Old 01-03-2004, 11:57 AM   #67
Francesco
Summum Pontificem

Location: Maricopa County Maximum Security Correctional Facility For Men, State Farm Road Number 31, Tempe, Arizona
OK, nobobody knows, huh?

I moved one of my unhacked DTiVos over from my POTS line and it seems to work on the DirecTV call without a slowdown prefix.

But my Turbonet (now CacheCard) DTiVo does not get through to DirecTV, though it does route the calls to the Vonage line.

How do I set the prefix, then? ",#034,#401" or the other way around?
Old 01-03-2004, 03:54 PM   #68
bonscott87
Done.

The DirecTV side of the call works over Vonage with my old T-60 as well as my HDVR2. Only the T-60 can call Tivo though. I have the slow down code on the T-60 but not on the HDVR2 (obviously cause it doesn't work).

This past month I noticed TONS of calls from all three receivers to the DirecTV 800 and 888 numbers. Obviously none of them were connecting and kept trying. Then I remember I lowered by Vonage bandwidth to 30K. I upped it back to 90K and all three made a successful call to DirecTV overnight.

So the moral is to at least check your Vonage bandwidth setting and set it to 90k for a couple days and see if that helps. With your broadband Tivo I don't think you need the slowdown code at all since it only effects the Tivo call anyway.

Some things to check anyway.

(2) DirecTivo's (R10, HDVR2), HR20, H21, Fortec Mercury II FTA receiver (Glorystar system)

HR20 help found at http://www.dbstalk.com
bonscott87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 07:46 PM   #69
k2ue
Retired RF Engineer

I'm gonna try something -- I've ordered the parts: a serial to ethernet box that will appear to my XP as a local serial port that can run PPP, and then extended to where the HDVR2 is by a pair of HomePlug ethernet-over-powerline boxes. If it works I'll get a 115K connection. My wife is sucessfully using HomePlug to connect to my Cable Modem + Router, so I'm hoping for success -- will report back in a week or so.
Old 01-08-2004, 06:53 AM   #70
Rojindo

HELP! I have DirecWay and Net2Phone. I do not have LAN. Can I connect either Directv-TIVO or stand-alone TIVO to my satellite-only system??
Rojindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 10:28 AM   #71
k2ue
Retired RF Engineer

Quote:
Originally posted by k2ue
I'm gonna try something -- I've ordered the parts: a serial to ethernet box that will appear to my XP as a local serial port that can run PPP, and then extended to where the HDVR2 is by a pair of HomePlug ethernet-over-powerline boxes. If it works I'll get a 115K connection.
Success! I'm using a Moxa DE-211 Serial-to-Ethernet box, a Radio Shack 26-209 9-25-pin Adapter, and a Tivo Serial Cable. Also used, but not necessary if you have Ethernet near the HDVR2 are a pair of GigaFast PE902 HomePlug adapters, to extend my network over the powerline. If you use these do NOT plug them into a UPS or surge protector -- they need to put a radio signal on the powerline WITHOUT it getting filtered off.

The Moxa (sold by neteon.net) is set with all switches off, and I used a fixed IP of 192.168.1.220 mask 255.255.255.0. No Gateway entry is needed, since that address only talks to your XP computer, extending a serial port. The Moxa software was set to put the box on COM4, unused on that XP machine.

The Serial-via-PPP-on-XP was set-up per www.b-lan.com/otto/tivo3xp, using a fixed IP of 192.168.1.218 thru 219 (I have a Linksys router and use the 192.168.1.xxx block for everything).

Setting the HDRV2 for a Dial Prefix of ,#211 resulted in successful Test and Daily calls (after I remembered to turn the Guest account ON -- it was set to OFF previously).

Expensive, but independent of Vonage (or any phone line), and fast.

Last edited by k2ue : 01-10-2004 at 06:51 PM.
k2ue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 01:33 PM   #72
Rojindo

No LAN TiVo connection

Thanks for the reply. I'll have to get my nephew to translate it a bit.

So, you're saying there is a way for me to install and continue to use DirecTV/TiVo without a hardline phone, just a VoIP-satellite phone/Net system. Thanks.
Rojindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 02:06 PM   #73
k2ue
Retired RF Engineer

Re: No LAN TiVo connection

Quote:
Originally posted by Rojindo
So, you're saying there is a way for me to install and continue to use DirecTV/TiVo without a hardline phone, just a VoIP-satellite phone/Net system. Thanks.
If you are referring to my message, above, it appears you can (except for PPV) operate an HDVR2 (or similar) with ONLY a broadband connection (of any type). But I'll be more confident of that statement after I see a software update download on PPP.

Does anyone have experience with the last software update over PPP?
Old 01-10-2004, 04:26 PM   #74
RightHere

Not neteon.com, neteon.net. Moxa DE-211 price is $149.

VERY interesting idea! Compared to Vonage's basic plan, this pays for itself after about 6 months after you include the startup costs. No resale market for this though (in case DTV happens to come to their senses and enable the USB ports for network devices). They also have 2 port devices if you have multiple Tivos in the same location.

I'm wondering about enabling the guest acct though. Isn't this dangerous?
RightHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 05:39 PM   #75
k2ue
Retired RF Engineer

Quote:
Originally posted by RightHere
I'm wondering about enabling the guest acct though. Isn't this dangerous?
No, there's a check box that only allows locally attached hardware to use the guest account with no password -- from outside you would have the same password control as any other user name.
Old 01-10-2004, 06:10 PM   #76
RightHere

Maybe this is a dumb question, but then you also need to remember to set up a pwd on that guest acct after you enable it, right? Otherwise it's probably blank? I didnt' see that info listed in the instructions anywhere, so that's why I'm asking.
Old 01-10-2004, 06:49 PM   #77
k2ue
Retired RF Engineer

Quote:
Maybe this is a dumb question, but then you also need to remember to set up a pwd on that guest acct after you enable it, right? Otherwise it's probably blank? I didnt' see that info listed in the instructions anywhere, so that's why I'm asking.
Good point -- I'm not sure what it defaults to, but I certainly did set a unique password when I enabled it.
Old 01-10-2004, 06:52 PM   #78
k2ue
Retired RF Engineer

Quote:
Not neteon.com, neteon.net. Moxa DE-211 price is $149.
I corrected the address in the post -- thanks for catching it.
Old 01-13-2004, 06:46 PM   #79
loki2043

couldnt you just get into the directivo and run somthing like minicom and change the modem speed through there and save it??? sounds to me like it would work but im a newbie so give me a break
loki2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 07:43 PM   #80
ADent

Weaknees sells a preconfigured modem and seperately a serial cable.

Wouldn't that work?
ADent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 10:52 PM   #81
RightHere

Quote:
Originally posted by ADent
Weaknees sells a preconfigured modem and seperately a serial cable.

Wouldn't that work?
I assume it would, but I think paying $99 for a modem is a LITTLE pricey (I'm trying to be nice to the advertiser). Also, there's no guarantee that it would be preconfigured with the settings you need to use Vonage. I believe they are slightly different from what you'd need to just use any old external modem.
Old 01-14-2004, 01:38 AM   #82
loki2043

what about my idea???? (check last 2 posts)
Old 01-16-2004, 01:49 AM   #83
loki2043

bump
Old 01-16-2004, 09:47 AM   #84
aristoBrat

Quote:
Originally posted by loki2043
couldnt you just get into the directivo and run somthing like minicom and change the modem speed through there and save it??? sounds to me like it would work but im a newbie so give me a break
"Getting into the DirecTiVo" is a lot of work. Check the Underground forums on here...
Old 01-17-2004, 04:25 PM   #85
gfoulks

I just ordered Vonage service and was checking out what posts I could find where people where using there Vonage in a Wireless G network and DirecTivo.

Has anything changed with the Vonage hardware that will require me to use an external modem to make daily calls?
Phillips DSR-704 / 120 SD hrs
JVC 52" HD-ILA
gfoulks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 09:25 PM   #86
astribli

Well, thought I would add my $.02 worth.

Just finished hooking up my Philips DSR7000 via external modem and Vonage. Works great.

I still don't understand why the internal modem doesn't work with Vonage. By using an external modem, with it's speed slowed down (either using an old piece of hardware or AT settings), we are saying that the internal modem doesn't have the capability of just slowing down to whatever speed the phone line can handle? The ability for modems to slow down as needed depending on noise/quality of phone line has been part of the modem standard since day 1 (in the 1970's). Why can't the internal modem simply slow down to something less than 56K? Besides, not everyone has phone lines that can connect at anything higher than 28K.

Actually amazing it works at all considering all the pathways the signal is making. Here is my setup:

1. DSR7000 to US Robotics Sportster 56k modem, slowed down to 14.4 using AT commands.

2. US Robotics modem to RCA wireless phone jack (don't have a jack next to Tivo).

3. RCA Wireless phone jack to Vonage ATA phone adapter

4. Vonage phone adapter to my Linksys Router/Firewall

5. Linksys Router to Motorola Cable modem

6. Cable modem to Comcast to Internet

Sure beats using SBC !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
astribli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 08:45 AM   #87
Nugent

Dip Switch Settings for US Robotics Modem

I have a HDVR2 and an imminent switchover to Vonage. To make my DirecTiVo work, I picked up a cheap US Robotics Sportster 28,800 fax modem on eBay.

Using an old headphone jack and cable, with a DB25 jack from RS, I made up a TiVo to modem connector as described by RedGray (thanks!), complete with the 4-5 and 6-20 jumpovers.

My problem is that the modem does not seem to be responding to the Tivo's attempts to dial out. Yes, I set the prefix to #319. I presume the test call goes via the external modem, not the internal one.

Please give suggestions for troubleshooting. I also need advice on the appropriate dip switch settings:

1. DTR normal/override
2. Verbal/numeric result codes
3. Suppress/display result codes
4. Echo/no echo offline commands
5. Auto answer on/off
6. Carrier detect normal/override
7. Load NVRAM/factory defaults
8. Dumb/smart mode

TIA!
Old 01-20-2004, 10:51 AM   #88
gfoulks

Maybe you should try to connect through Vonage first before trying to mess around with the external modem. From what I'm hearing the new ATA's are now able to make the calls now....

I'll know more later this week when my ATA arrives and I set it up.
Phillips DSR-704 / 120 SD hrs
JVC 52" HD-ILA
gfoulks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 11:12 AM   #89
Meinrad
dumdiddydum

If the new ATA's really work better, than I might be a Vonage customer sooner than later. I just wasn't up for doing the external modem thing.
Old 01-21-2004, 04:57 AM   #90
astribli

Re: Dip Switch Settings for US Robotics Modem

You need to place a comma "," before the code. It should be ,#319

Use the PAUSE button to place a comma (I think), it shows you on the screen which buttons are what when progamming in the codes.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nugent
I have a HDVR2 and an imminent switchover to Vonage. To make my DirecTiVo work, I picked up a cheap US Robotics Sportster 28,800 fax modem on eBay.

Using an old headphone jack and cable, with a DB25 jack from RS, I made up a TiVo to modem connector as described by RedGray (thanks!), complete with the 4-5 and 6-20 jumpovers.

My problem is that the modem does not seem to be responding to the Tivo's attempts to dial out. Yes, I set the prefix to #319. I presume the test call goes via the external modem, not the internal one.

Please give suggestions for troubleshooting. I also need advice on the appropriate dip switch settings:

1. DTR normal/override
2. Verbal/numeric result codes
3. Suppress/display result codes
4. Echo/no echo offline commands
5. Auto answer on/off
6. Carrier detect normal/override
7. Load NVRAM/factory defaults
8. Dumb/smart mode

TIA!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
astribli is offline   Reply With Quote