TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-19-2004, 05:25 PM   #1
FATGUYMEST

Question Getting video from Tivo via USB?

Is it possible for me to connect my TiVo to my PC and pull the mpg files over to the PC for burning? I couldn't seem to find anything on this in the FAQ.

Thanx,
FG
FATGUYMEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 05:30 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

Not yet. TiVo just announced a new feature called TiVoToGo which will do just this, however it wont be released until this fall.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 05:32 PM   #3
pkscout

I'm not getting on FatGuyMest, but is there some way we could get this added to the FAQ? It seems like there is at least one thread every day asking this exact question.
pkscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 05:32 PM   #4
FATGUYMEST

Then what are the USB jacks on the back of the TiVo for? Is this for using a wireless network or something of the like?
Old 01-19-2004, 05:34 PM   #5
futerfas

Yep. You can connect it to your home network and streem music and photos from your computer on to your tivo.
"keep going son, you'll make a fine lawyer" -Marco
"ever since Junior High Futerfas has had a fear of having his picture taken" -ZeoTiVo
"I keep 'em [signatures] turned off so no matter how creative they are, no matter how much time and effort you put into yours, there's at least one person here who'll never see it to appreciate it." -SparkleMotion
"Nothing is more permanent than a temporary solution." -edhara
futerfas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 05:38 PM   #6
FATGUYMEST

thats it though huh? no way of getting the video from the TiVo to my PC? thats one of the main reasons I bought the device. I thought I could rip **** to DVD easily with a USB cable.
Old 01-19-2004, 05:38 PM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

The jacks are currently used for networking. Networking allows your TiVo to operate without a phoneline, provided you have a broadband internet connection, and allows for the use of HMO. HMO is a separate software package offered by TiVo ($99) that allows your TiVo to perform four basic functions it does not do out of the box....

1) Play MP3 files from a networked computer
2) Display photos from a networked computer
3) Schedule recordings via the internet
4) Share recordings with other HMO enabled TiVos in your household.

Dan
Old 01-19-2004, 05:42 PM   #8
FATGUYMEST

If it can do all that....I find it very hard to believe some programmer out there hasn't come up with a software to copy the videos from the DVR to a PC yet. It seems programmers and crackers figure out every thing else and offer get options to programs that never existed pretty quickly.
Old 01-19-2004, 05:42 PM   #9
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by FATGUYMEST
thats it though huh? no way of getting the video from the TiVo to my PC? thats one of the main reasons I bought the device. I thought I could rip **** to DVD easily with a USB cable.
If you need that functionality right now you have a few choices...

1) Trade in your TiVo for a Pioneer 810-H unit. It has a built in DVD-RW drive and can burn shows directly to DVD.

2) Get a standalone DVD burner, connect the TiVo's analog outputs to it, and use it like you would a VCR.

3) Get an analog video capture device for your computer and use that to capture the TiVo's output to your computer for editing and burning.

4) Look into hacking. (talk about video extraction via hacking is not allowed on these forums, so you'll have to check elsewhere for information)

Other then that you'll have to wait for TiVoToGo.

Dan
Old 01-19-2004, 05:46 PM   #10
FATGUYMEST

Thanx Dan...and everyone else. You have been much help!
Old 01-19-2004, 05:48 PM   #11
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
If it can do all that....I find it very hard to believe some programmer out there hasn't come up with a software to copy the videos from the DVR to a PC yet. It seems programmers and crackers figure out every thing else and offer get options to programs that never existed pretty quickly.
Series 2 units encrypt all video before storing it on the hard drive. So even if you could manage to capture the stream being transfered between units you still wouldn't be able to do anything with it without the encryption key. The TiVoToGo package will do just this, however it will include a USB key, that you plug into the computer, that contains the encryption key necessary to play back and/or burn the recordings.

Dan
Old 01-19-2004, 05:56 PM   #12
mikestanley

Quote:
I guess you should have done a wee bit more research, then, because Tivo makes no claims that you can do that with the device.

You will be able to do this come Fall, though, as I'm sure someone else has or will explain.
mikestanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 06:58 PM   #13
ccwf
国際化 Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pkscout
is there some way we could get this added to the FAQ? It seems like there is at least one thread every day asking this exact question.
OK, I added an item for it (with a link to one of Dan203's posts above) to the Help Center sticky thread Before you askplease check these top answers for TiVo questions!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TiVo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

中日韓
ccwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 06:42 AM   #14
Fast Turtle

Fatguymest wrote:
Dan203 replied:
"TiVo just announced a new feature called TiVoToGo which will do just this, however it wont be released until this fall....it will include a USB key, that you plug into the computer, that contains the encryption key necessary to play back and/or burn the recordings."

It is now Fall. When will this option be available so this function can be enjoyed without resorting to hacking?

Fast Turtle
Fast Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 07:07 AM   #15
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

there are a lot of threads on TiVoToGo that are MUCH newer than this thread. they have better info on what is known and more refined speculation.

do a search on TiVoToGO and sample some of the threads that come up near the top of the results
Old 10-04-2004, 09:30 AM   #16
classicsat
Astute User

There is 3 or so months to go for fall.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 12:04 PM   #17
Dan203
Super Moderator

Could be tomorrow, could be December 21st. We wont know until it's released.

Dan
Old 11-04-2005, 09:04 PM   #18
fishdog91160

What type of quality can I expect from a HD-Tivo to DVD recorder copy? And can anyone recommend a stand alone DVD recorder? Also, I hear rumors that my HR 10-250 is soon to be made obsolete. What gives?
fishdog91160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 10:35 AM   #19
classicsat
Astute User

Since it will be downconverted toSD, it will be rather good.
Look at the DVD recorder setcio of AVS forums for recomendations.

The HR10-250 is going to be quasi obsolete as local HDs are in MPEG4 as they launch, and eventuall natinoal HDs will likely be too.
classicsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 04:01 PM   #20
bevman

Tivo to Go and Directv

Is there any way to use tivo to go with my new Directv HD10-250? The Tivo website just has a blanket comment "does not work with Directv..." Is there any remedy? I want to move recordings to my computer and music back to the audio stack.
bevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 04:09 PM   #21
ccwf
国際化 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevman
Is there any way to use tivo to go with my new Directv HD10-250?
DirecTV has the option of enabling that feature. Legally, it's not up to TiVo.

TiVo

中日韓
ccwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 04:49 PM   #22
Justin Thyme
Contra sceleris

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevman
Is there any way to use tivo to go with my new Directv HD10-250? The Tivo website just has a blanket comment "does not work with Directv..." Is there any remedy? I want to move recordings to my computer and music back to the audio stack.
Yes, but it doesn't use TivoToGo, but you can mod your machine to output shows from DirecTv boxes. See PTVupgrade for more info . They sell you a new drive, you swap it with the drive in your machine, and you have a thing called HackManager. You use that to install a mod that allows you to run software from your Mac or PC that transfers the files to your machine. Mostly works fine from what I hear. Search on the net for more detailed info and you will figure it out. Plenty of people are doing it.

If you don't mind getting your hands dirty, you can install these mods yourself and not be out any money. Perhaps they have made it easier, I don't know. It has been a while since I looked at that stuff.
Justin Thyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 05:20 PM   #23
Kerry

Hi Dan203,

I tried
Quote:
2) Get a standalone DVD burner, connect the TiVo's analog outputs to it, and use it like you would a VCR.
. I added a Toshiba DVD Player-Recorder (D-R4) and connected TIVO's analog (Video L&R) outs into it. It records OK but the color of the movie I recorded from my perfectly colored recorded TIVO is tinted greenish/yellow with a few other colors. Sound is fine.

My equipment:
Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3250HD
AT&T Series 2 TIVO
Sony STR-DE597 Stereo Receiver (5.1)
Toshiba DVD Player-Recorder D-R4),
Sony Wega TV KV-32H500 (HDTV) w/PIP (Twin View)

Most everything but the Toshiba is connected using component (Y,Pb,Pr) + L&R, S-Video+L-R, and Optical cables.

Other than this problem everything (including the PIP feature) work fine in all three modes, VHF (cable box's scrambled/unscrambled), Video 1 (TIVO), and HD. The Toshiba plays a prerecorded DVD beautifully with 5.1 sound.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks, Kerry
Kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 05:27 PM   #24
Justin Thyme
Contra sceleris

That is macrovision protection. You'd get the same thing if you tried to record from a commercial DVD or a commercial VHS tape.

You can bypass this problem with a Sima "Go Video" video stabilizer. They are cheap on ebay- lowest I saw was in the high $20's as I recall. Compusa has them occaisionally on special for $59- usually $99.
Justin Thyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 02:10 PM   #25
Kerry

Thanks Justin,

I had no idea. I kept thinking it was how I connected it to the TIVO or even the quality of the old stock composite cables. I'll try recording another movie/show and see if it comes out normal colors.

Mucho thankso,

Kerry
Old 01-12-2006, 02:54 AM   #26
Kerry

Hi Justin,

Tonight I tried burning two different shows that I had recorded on my TIVO. These shows were from the History channnel and the Travel channel. In other words they didn't appear to be important enough to have protection. Both shows had the dreaded tinge.

What I do is go to the TIVO menu that lists all my recorded shows. I select the show I want to burn via the DVD. Once I selected the show I press the TIVO Select botton and it give a description of the show and the options to Play, Delete, etc. I then set up the DVD recorder and in it's preview window it shows the TIVO screen displaying the show's description and the Play, Delete, options. But even this screen has the green tinge. I then press the Toshiba record button and let it record for a few minutes and then test and sure enough, both shows had the green tinge.

Some background: I just upgraded from Scientific Atlanta 3100HD to 3250 HD. With the 3100HD I was able to burn about six shows none of which gave me "protection" problems.

Suggestions?

Kerry
Old 01-12-2006, 02:59 AM   #27
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

It'd be unusual for this to be Macrovision. Do you see the tinge when playing back from the TiVo, or just when playing the burned DVDs?

|
|
|
megazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 01:51 PM   #28
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

have you checked the cabling ? is it loose and perhaps your RGB is not correct
Old 01-12-2006, 02:25 PM   #29
Kerry

Hi megazone,

All programs that I recorded to TIVO play perfectly. I record everything in Best.

My prerecorded DVD (Abyss) plays perfectly.

Hi ZeoTiVo,

I've double checked to ensure the Video and R&L cables are plugged in correctly.

Sure is a mystery

Thanks,

Kerry
Old 01-12-2006, 02:34 PM   #30
Dan203
Super Moderator

Are you capturing this to a PC in realtime using some sort of capture device? If so then the capture device you're using is probably dropping frames. This usually happens when either the bus it's plugged into (i.e. USB or FireWire) can't keep up with the device or the device itself can't keep up with encoding the stream properly due to other software or hardware bottlenecks.

First off if it's a USB device make 100% sure you have it plugged into a USB 2.0 port. A USB 1.1 port can't keep up with a stream like this even if the package says it can. Secondly I'd try shutting down everything else on my PC and refrain from using it while the capture is happening. Anything else that cause the PC to access the hard drive or use up a lot of CPU cycles can cause the device to drop frames.

Dan