TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-12-2004, 09:42 AM   #181
timckelley
TCFer

<dancing>Well, it's been done. The day before yesterday, I just won an ebay auction for my second TiVo! </dancing>

Originally I was just going to get a 60 hour HDRx12 (I forget if x=3 or x=6), but I saw a deal for an HDR212 that has already been upgraded to 194 hours. It had no bids on it, but the starting bid was $200.

I wound up being the only bidder, and so won it at the low price of $200! I figure if I'd of bought an HDR212 from http://www.servicedvr.com/ , I'd have spent $125, and then if I'd have upgraded it to 194 using weakknees, I'd have spent another $199, for a total if $324.

Shipping was $11.90, so I've spent a total of $211.90 as opposed to $324 elsewhere, so I figure I got a good deal. Plus, having all this space is really nice because I can record a bunch of stuff in 'Best Quality' if I like.

I've already talked to my wife, and she's keeping the 80 hour series 2, and I'm getting the 194 series 1, becauase she likes the folders feature of series 2, and more importantly, the series 2 is subbed, and, at least initially, the series 1 won't be subbed.

I figure I can schedule wish lists (but not ARWL) on the series 2, and then use that to find out when stuff is showing, and then manually schedule it on my series one. And I can do this all from one chair because this weekend I also bought a modulator off of ebay which I will use to distribute the series 2 TiVo to the whole house. I got a sweet deal on the modulator too, because I've seen mono modulaters go for anywhere from $80 to $150, and stereo modulators go for $200 to $300. I got a stereo modulator for a little over $33 from ebay.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- slydog75

- Bryanmc

Last edited by timckelley : 01-12-2004 at 11:35 AM.
timckelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 09:50 AM   #182
timckelley
TCFer

Btw, I know my wife needs space more than I, but since I'll be moving my SPs off of her machine, she will see some immediate benefit, spacewise, as well. Still, if she continues to have space problems, I'm still considering upgrading her TiVo, but for now, she feels satisfied with the arrangement. We'll see as time goes how that works out for her.

By the way, she's already started negotiating with me on the space. I've already mentioned earlier that she agrees to make any show of hers that are on my TiVo: KUSN. And SPs that we both watch, I have the right to convert to KUSN after I'm done watching them. But there are two SPs in particular that we both watch, that are more important to her than the others, and she proposes that they go on my TiVo as KUID until she's done watching them. Her argument is that with only 2 SPs being treated this way, I shouldn't be in danger of running out of space on my TiVo.

Is this a good idea? I guess I do feel kind of guilty having more space than her, but like I said before, I'm not opposed to the idea of eventually upgrading her TiVo.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 01-12-2004, 11:20 AM   #183
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
With 80 hours, I don't see the need to put anything on yours. She's just being a piggy. : oink : For now, I'd say no. If you don't push the baby bird out of the nest, it never learns how to fly.

You can always change your mind later, if you need to. But I would remind her that this is why you got two TiVos... so she has her space that she can do with as she likes. If she can't manage that, then she needs to learn how to do it.

BTW, I couldn't manage my TiVo, so I got a second one. Now I do much better scheduling on the two and sending stuff back and forth with HMO. I can record big throwaway shows like wrestling and NASCAR on the bedroom TiVo, freeing up the living room TiVo to record series. If I don't get around to watching the bedroom TiVo stuff, that's cool, and it eventually gets deleted. If I do watch it, I copy it to the living room TiVo and watch it there.

Come join us October 5-12, 2014!
martinp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 02:15 PM   #184
RARamaker

Quote:
Originally posted by timckelley
By the way, she's already started negotiating with me on the space.
Sounds like you might need a lawyer.

Russ
Old 01-12-2004, 03:14 PM   #185
Glen Graham
Senior Moment

Quote:
Originally posted by martinp13
With 80 hours, I don't see the need to put anything on yours
"80 hours" is not necessarily real-world usable space.

Personally, anything below "high" quality to me is not worth watching - and my favorite shows are all at "best" quality.

So, her 80 hours may be only between about 25 (best) and 50 (medium).

timckelley -- for the amount of work you will do to track suggestions (A/B'ing two TiVos) and then micromanging your TiVo, you will probably spend many many hours per month. All to save $13?

Add to that the fact that broadcast times and lengths are more fluid, and eventually you'll get frustrated because you missed that a show was scheduled 15 minutes later (due to a debate, for example)...

I'd suggest you bite the bullet and subscribe your unit...
Whatever I can pry loose... is not nailed down!
Old 01-12-2004, 03:42 PM   #186
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally posted by Glen Graham
[Btimckelley -- for the amount of work you will do to track suggestions (A/B'ing two TiVos) and then micromanging your TiVo, you will probably spend many many hours per month. All to save $13?

I'd suggest you bite the bullet and subscribe your unit... [/b]
Maybe you're right... I was intending on once per week reviewing my pseudo-SPs (actually, nonARWLs) on the subbed TiVo, reviewing the showtimes, and then compare to a list I'll probably have written down on paper to confirm no schedule changes. Of course that means that if a debate is not on the guide until a couple of days before the show, I'll miss the schedule change. Is that normal? Do schedule changes sometimes come with short notice like that?

Of course, if a marathon comes up, then I might want to manually schedule that, too.

And for one time recordings, I'll search for something on the subbed TiVo, and instead of clicking 'select' to schedule it, I'll click on 'View upcoming showings', pick one, A/B over to my TiVo, and do a manual recording. It doesn't sound like it should take that much time/work to do this, but I'll see. If it winds up being a major drag like you say, I'll certainly consider subbing the second TiVo. You very well may be right, because it's nice to have ARWLs automatically enter into your To Do List without any intervention on my part.

On the other hand, with all these 'TiVo is dead or dying' threads, it makes me afraid to do another lifetime sub. Or is lifetime a bad idea for used series one's?

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 01-13-2004, 12:57 AM   #187
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:

On the other hand, with all these 'TiVo is dead or dying' threads, it makes me afraid to do another lifetime sub. Or is lifetime a bad idea for used series one's?
There's always been "TiVo is dying" threads. Just FUD at this point.

The real question is will the used Series 1 last more than 2 years?
That's the break even point for a lifetime subscription.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 08:58 AM   #188
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally posted by JYoung
There's always been "TiVo is dying" threads. Just FUD at this point.

The real question is will the used Series 1 last more than 2 years?
That's the break even point for a lifetime subscription.
Good question. If the HD breaks, I could always replace it using weakknees. To replace it with 194 hours would cost slightly more than what I'm paying for this TiVo, so if I had monthly, it would save me a small (pretty small) amount of $ to buy another TiVo off of ebay. Of course, if the HDs last more than 23 months, I'm making a profit (by going lifetime instead of monthly). So it would seem to be a good gamble to get lifetime if HDs are all I'm worrying about, assuming that TiVo corp doesn't die.

But I suppose there are other things that can go wrong (power supply, fan, motherboard, modem). How easily are those things repaired, and how costly are they, and how likely are they to eventually breakdown (within 2 years)? If there's a fair chance of them breaking down within 2 years, would it be cheaper to repair, or buy another TiVo? This factors into the lifetime sub equation.

On the subject of TiVo corp dying, I was just thinking about this, and maybe I shouldn't worry too much about that. Often when a company goes bankrupt, they simply get bought out. If that were to happen, hopefully the buying company would continue to broadcast our guide data.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 01-13-2004, 11:45 AM   #189
JYoung
Series 3

The usual things that go bad on a Series 1 TiVo are the hard drive and the modem.
The hard drives are easily replaceable by anyone who's comfortable with working with pc hardware. The modem's tougher but there are ways to get around that. It does pay to make sure your TiVo unit is surge protected.

If TiVo goes out of business, Tivolutionary had hinted in the past that the units would be unlocked to a certain extent but that was a while ago.....

"I aim to misbehave"
Old 01-13-2004, 01:19 PM   #190
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally posted by JYoung
The modem's tougher but there are ways to get around that. It does pay to make sure your TiVo unit is surge protected.
Mine will have a UPS on it. Hopefully my modem holds up. It seems I remember reading that a bad modem can be bypassed by hooking it to a home network. While I don't have a home network, I do have a hub in my On Q panel, and cat 5 (I think) lines connecting many rooms together, so I could easily set up a home network. But I have dialup, not broadband, so I'm not sure this set up could work. Oh well, hopefully the modem lasts a long time.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 01-13-2004, 01:21 PM   #191
timckelley
TCFer

I have the UPS tracking on my new TiVo and it's scheduled to arrive on Friday! And the seller even tells me she won't withdraw my funds from her paypal account until I test it and tell her that all is well with the new TiVo.

That's good customer service. She even gave me the tracking info without me asking her for it.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 01-14-2004, 03:38 PM   #192
Glen Graham
Senior Moment

For what it is worth, a dead TiVo modem can be gotten around.

1) Install a TurboNet network card and use broadband

2) Have your TiVo use an external hardware modem, like a US Robotics, etc.

My parents' S1 modem died, and they've been using an external USR modem for almost a year now.

Lastly, I would suggest, if you have any computer abilities (hardware), that you merely make a backup of your TiVo operating system yourself. Using the new MFS Tools, this will result in a file that is like 500MB max -- in other words, you can burn it to CD.

Then, if your drive ever died, you merely buy a new drive & "restore" the TiVo operating system onto it, plug it into your box, and away it goes.

Similarly, you can buy a 120 GB drive (or bigger), and transfer your TiVo operating system AND programs from your old drive to a new one -- as long as the new one is bigger than the old (must be bigger by at least one little byte).

Originally, I had added an 80 GB drive to my TiVo's 30. Then, the 30 started dying (tivo lockups, etc). I bought a 120 GB, and "merged" the 30 & 80 onto the 120. Ran it a few days, all was fine. Then I re-added the 80 back and now have 200 GB.
Whatever I can pry loose... is not nailed down!
Old 01-16-2004, 12:59 AM   #193
purple6816

I jsut bought her a DTivo of her own. She puts Opra and DrPhil and trading spaces on her own box. It is in her sewing room but, connects to the main tv also. I just point the remote into the other room and we can watch her Tivo.

It is the only way to go. When she fills it she fills it.
Old 01-16-2004, 03:34 PM   #194
timckelley
TCFer

My second TiVo has arrived! The seller just emailed me saying that UPS has notified her that it arrived at my house, so I just called home, and indeed: my wife has found it on our front porch. (UPS never rings the doorbell ) So this evening I'll hook it up

Do I need to notify TiVo Corporation or anybody that ownership has transferred to me? I'm initially not going to sub it, but I wonder if TiVo will still think it's subbed to the original owner. Well, I suppose after 30 days of nonpayment service will lapse.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc

Last edited by timckelley : 09-15-2006 at 02:30 PM.
Old 01-16-2004, 03:43 PM   #195
timckelley
TCFer

When I called home to ask my wife to check the front porch, I told her to carry the package gingerly to the room where it's going, and to lay it softly down, because I don't want to jar the hard drive too much. At that point, she started jokingly making fun of me by saying "My Precious! My Precious!" (implying that I was as attached to my TiVo as Smiegel was to the Ring.)

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc

Last edited by timckelley : 09-15-2006 at 02:31 PM.
Old 01-19-2004, 10:06 AM   #196
timckelley
TCFer

Well, the second TiVo is installed and works perfectly. I can't tell you how much a sense of liberty and freedom I feel from having separate TiVos. You all must try it.

Over the weekend, I finished watching all my stuff off the Now Playing menu on my wife's TiVo, and transfered over my SPs, so the series 2 is all hers now.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 01-19-2004, 12:51 PM   #197
Marco
Yes, Mr. Tony

Quote:
Well, the second TiVo is installed and works perfectly. I can't tell you how much a sense of liberty and freedom I feel from having separate TiVos. You all must try it.

Over the weekend, I finished watching all my stuff off the Now Playing menu on my wife's TiVo, and transfered over my SPs, so the series 2 is all hers now.
Time to update your username subtitle text!
Old 01-19-2004, 01:39 PM   #198
JYoung
Series 3

(patiently waiting for the Mrs. to start taking over the second TiVo)

(I'd guess mid February or so)

"I aim to misbehave"
Old 01-19-2004, 01:45 PM   #199
TivoGeezer
Snow-ina-ear

Quote:
(implying that I was as attached to my TiVo as Smiegel was to the Ring.)
More so, I would guess. At least the tivo will not purposely betray you.

If you won't read my
, at least look at my pictures on
or
or my
TivoGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 02:15 PM   #200
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally posted by Marco
Time to update your username subtitle text!
Oops! Somebody mentioned this to me earlier, but I thought he was talking about my sig. Thanks.... I've now updated the username subtitle.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 01-19-2004, 04:00 PM   #201
Mike20878
Jake & Adam's dad

Quote:
Oops! Somebody mentioned this to me earlier, but I thought he was talking about my sig. Thanks.... I've now updated the username subtitle.
What was the old one? I don't think I noticed it...
Mike20878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 06:35 PM   #202
Capn Jack

Quote:
Originally posted by foo monkey
Start deleting her programs, one at a time, but don't tell her. If she finds out, which she probably won't, apologize. She's not going to divorce you over television.
or tell her its a bug you read about on TiVo Community.

Capn Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 12:19 PM   #203
Marco
Yes, Mr. Tony

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike20878
What was the old one? I don't think I noticed it...
"Have Only One TiVo"
Old 01-20-2004, 12:33 PM   #204
allan
I survived the Mayan

Quote:
Originally posted by Marco
"Have Only One TiVo"
Well, he still just has one Tivo. His wife has the other one.

BEEP
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 01:32 PM   #205
timckelley
TCFer

But I feel very liberated

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 01-20-2004, 03:50 PM   #206
drtivoevil

divorce!
drtivoevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 04:07 PM   #207
timckelley
TCFer

Divorce need not be necessary. The key to saving a marriage is to own two TiVos.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 01-30-2004, 11:22 AM   #208
timckelley
TCFer

Well, she did the forbidden thing. There was a movie on My Tivo set as KUSN. I'd already watched it, but she told me not to delete it because she wanted to watch it.

Without my permission, she changed it to KUID <sounds of shocked horror>.

She wanted to save it because she wants to tape it. Well, I informed her that she has violated one of the Sacred Holy Commandments, and that I reserve the right, if I get low on space, to arbitrarily change whatever I want to KUSN.

She agrees that this is my right, and in fact, within 24 hours, she taped the movie off to tape, so no harm done. To tell the truth, I still have lots and lots of unused space on my 194 hour TiVo, so I'm not worried about space anytime soon. If and when I get low on space, then I'll be looking at the KUID stuff on there and changing some of it to KUSN.

I don't use KUID for any of my own stuff, but if space gets low it's possible I might (in order to protect my shows from her stuff) start using KUID. At that time I might have to remind her not to change anything without my permission to KUID. Of course, if gets to this point, I probably should upgrade her TiVo. But it's not to that point yet, because I have lots of unused space on my TiVo right now.

You might wonder: why if I have so much space did she bother changing it to KUID? Answer: it had a yellow exclamation mark next to it, and she was worried about imminent deletion. I've explained to her before that that's not what the explanation mark means, but she's been having trouble accepting my explanation of the exclamation mark.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 01-30-2004, 03:02 PM   #209
JYoung
Series 3

shoot, I figured it would be at least another two weeks before she did something.

Stand firm. Otherwise she gets a crack here, a little more the next time, and soon she'll have taken over both TiVos.

"I aim to misbehave"
Old 01-30-2004, 03:14 PM   #210
Joey303
Gaga for Lala.com

Quote:
You might wonder: why if I have so much space did she bother changing it to KUID? Answer: it had a yellow exclamation mark next to it, and she was worried about imminent deletion. I've explained to her before that that's not what the explanation mark means, but she's been having trouble accepting my explanation of the exclamation mark.
This is not your wife's fault. Her logic is the typical logic that human being would use when seeing the exclamation point.

This is TiVo's fault and has been mentioned
HERE.

Joey303 is offline   Reply With Quote