Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-27-2003, 04:17 PM   #1
TiVoStephen
formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Arrow Read this if you want to use your Series2 DVR with a wireless adapter

Hi,

If you are trying to get your TiVo, Sony, Toshiba or Pioneer Series2 DVR to work with a Linksys wireless adapter, please read this thread:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...hreadid=150363

Thanks,
Stephen

[edited to fix bad link -- sorry about that, bad cut and paste job]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TiVoOpsMgr : 12-30-2003 at 09:18 PM.
TiVoStephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 03:59 PM   #2
rkcarter
Rick- Vorlon wannabe

The link above doesn't work for me when I click on it. Just get 404'd.
Old 12-28-2003, 04:31 PM   #3
Piggers
FavoriteColorIsClear

Same here....dead link.
Piggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 01:21 PM   #4
todd149084

Ditto for me.

I just bought a wusb11 wireless adaptor... but the only place it lists a version number is on the disc that came with it. it says 2.0... will that work ?
Old 12-29-2003, 01:27 PM   #5
bedelman
Call me Bob

Its been reported that the version number for the piece of equipment is either on the box or under the velcro strip attached to the unit.

You can never have too many TiVo's (7) or wireless routers (5) -- all in one residence!
bedelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 05:18 PM   #6
MtrRef

Sad Part about WUSB 11 vesion numbers

The sad part about the Linksys version numbers is that they are NOT on the box. You have to get the little beast home before you aer working on upgrading your software for the Tivo box. I'm assuming that this is a driver issue. But I'm having a hard time understanding why it will take "up to five business days" to download a driver.
MtrRef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 09:19 PM   #7
TiVoStephen
formerly TiVoOpsMgr

MtrRef, we are updating requests more frequently due to the holidays -- twice a day during business days. If it's taken more than 24 hours for you to get the update, please let me know your 15 digit TiVo Service Number and I will expedite. We are working to automate the process.

Best regards,
Stephen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-31-2003, 12:22 AM   #8
sairoland

thanks helped a bunch
Old 01-03-2004, 11:03 AM   #9
yannb

on monday I got a message on my tivo series 2 that 802.11 g is now supported. Does that mean that I can now use a linksys wusb54g adapter with it?

thanks

yannb
yannb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 03:29 PM   #10
Resist

I got no such message on my series2 Tivo.
Resist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 05:19 PM   #11
Dr_Zoidberg

How flexible is the Wireless Config?

I'd rather know before I buy the adapter.

What options are available for configuring the wireless network?

I have a Linksys wireless-g router. I don't broadcast my network ID, and use WEP encryption. Will the TiVo configuration options allow me to set this all up?

Maybe I should be investigating using a hub and wireless adapter instead. So many options...
Dr_Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 01:06 AM   #12
ccwf
国際化 Member

Re: How flexible is the Wireless Config?

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr_Zoidberg
What options are available for configuring the wireless network?
See TiVo's article Configuring My DVR to Connect to My Wireless Network.

TiVo

中日韓
ccwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 06:53 PM   #13
andrewjw

We are in the same boat having a Linksys wireless-g 802 11g router.
Have found a USB netgear MA111 which is g/b am I on the right track

Andrew
andrewjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 12:58 PM   #14
TiVoStephen
formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Andrew, yes, the MA111 should work. Please see the articles referenced above for instructions on how to proceed.

Old 01-08-2004, 01:12 PM   #15
Dr_Zoidberg

Re: Re: How flexible is the Wireless Config?

Quote:
Originally posted by ccwf
See TiVo's article Configuring My DVR to Connect to My Wireless Network[/url].
Thanks! I believe I've read all the FAQs and other links, but hadn't seen this specifically addressed.
Dr_Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 11:30 AM   #16
tralfaz

I received the same message as yannb this week. If I were at home, I would quote the message, but it essentially said that the service update I received "added support for some wireless 802.11g devices". It didn't state which devices, but said to visit "<tivo-home-page>/adapters" (sorry, this is my first post and it won't allow my to post a link) to see which new devices were supported. However, I don't see any change at that page at all, and, as far as I can tell, none of the listed devices support 802.11g. Does anyone out there know anything else? Any TiVo folks listening?

I just bought an 802.11b router, since it allows me to use my laptop and my TiVo without having to run a new phone line for the TiVo. I'm still in the 30 day return period, and would like to go with 802.11g if possible, but the window is shrinking every day...
tralfaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 11:50 AM   #17
Kanyon71

I have not received the message but I wish it would I have a WUSB54G adapter sitting here waiting for it's new home, everything else in my house is either on 54g already or wired at 100. Tivo is currently on an older Netgear 11b adapter and needs to get off of it.
Kanyon71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 07:35 PM   #18
tralfaz

Misread. It says support was added for 802.11b adapters using some 802.11g routers. And I believe that was part of the earlier Spring/Summer updates. Oh well, wishful thinking I suppose.
tralfaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 12:28 AM   #19
DonP1988

I have the Toshiba unit, with a Linksys wrt54g router and the wusb54g adapter. I saw a couple of questions regarding compatibility with the adaptor, but no reply. Will that adaptor work? or do I need to get another? When I go through setup, there is no reference or place to work on network settings. Only Phone settings...Is this because I have an adaptor that isn't recognized or because the software of the Toshiba needs to be updated? Sorry if these are inappropriate questions here. I have not used a forum in many years.

Don
DonP1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 09:06 AM   #20
bedelman
Call me Bob

Quote:
Originally posted by DonP1988
I have the Toshiba unit, with a Linksys wrt54g router and the wusb54g adapter. I saw a couple of questions regarding compatibility with the adaptor, but no reply. Will that adaptor work? or do I need to get another? When I go through setup, there is no reference or place to work on network settings. Only Phone settings...Is this because I have an adaptor that isn't recognized or because the software of the Toshiba needs to be updated? Sorry if these are inappropriate questions here. I have not used a forum in many years.

Don
At present no 802.11g USB adapter is supported. A list of the supported adapters can be found at http://www.tivo.com/adapters -- The router you have will work with one of the supported 802.11b adapters

You can never have too many TiVo's (7) or wireless routers (5) -- all in one residence!
bedelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 09:17 PM   #21
cjedlicka

Don,
I just bought the Toshiba SD-H400 along with a Linksys WUSB11 adapter. I had to request the software version update to 5.1.1b before the box would see the adapter. The software update took less than 24 hours.
Good Luck!
cjedlicka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 09:18 PM   #22
jsnkc

Thumbs up Thanks everyone!

Just wanted to thank everyone here that helped out with my Tivo+no phone line=Help thread. I got my new Tivo series 2 today, got it completely up and running and got all the updates and never once had to use a phone line! This is a great forum!
jsnkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 12:17 AM   #23
HalcyonGT

Angry So pissed off.

So I bought the Pioneer Series 2 Unit only because I was told I could utilize it without a phone line and upon reading the setup instructions find this to be a complete lie. I've read the countless posts of entering ,#401 in the dial prefix during guided setup....it does NOT bypass the phone setting and the unit does not detect the D-Link USB adapter! Now my only option is to spend additional money to either get a wired USB adapter and have an unsightly ethernet cable going from one side of the room to other. Or calling Qwest to re-establish my land line that I worked tirelessly to get rid of and pay an additional $15 a month. Which BTW, they can't even do it for another week!!!

Furthermore, where in the process does the unit even detect the wireless USB adapter? After Guided Setup or before?!? This by far has got to be the most frustrating device I've ever had to configure/install/setup; and I engineer LAN/WANs for a living!!
HalcyonGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 01:11 AM   #24
drusoicy

810H

Can someone help me out with the 810H by Pioneer? I am really more looking for a heads up, since it hasnt gotten here yet.

I was thinking of buying the WUSB12 USB adapter, will this work with the 810H, or do I need to buy something else?

How exactly do I start the setup process as far as the adapter is concerned?

The only reason I am asking ahead of time is because I have read the forums and see some people are having problems with the setup. I would just like the info from someone that has set up this specific device on a wireless network.

Thanks!
drusoicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 07:37 PM   #25
comgenius1

For those of you with 802.11g or 802.11a routers or accesspoints, There is a way to use them with tivo as far as I know. I don't have a tivo yet, but i still have a solution. You could use a usb to ethernet(wired) adapter connected to the tivo, with an ethernet cable running to a Wireless Bridge(game adapters should work as i think they are only a bridge with a funny name). The bridge would be set to communicate with the router, and the tivo would just assume it is talking via wired ethernet. Just my thoughts.

Last edited by comgenius1 : 02-18-2004 at 01:17 PM.
comgenius1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 10:40 PM   #26
cnmid

Arrow PLEASE help me with wireless adapter!

Thanks for the helpful words on trying to get my series 2 TiVo working with my wireless adapter but I have yet to get it to work.

I have a LinkSys WUSB v2.8 adapter and a TiVo DVR that starts with #240 so according to the website I have compatible hardware. My system info confirms that I have the home media option and my software version is 4.01-01 (it doesn't have an a or b). I have forced dial up logins several times so I presume I have the latest software version. Finally, I have 2x checked that the adapter actually does work with my laptop and it checks out fine.

My major stumbling block occurs on the screen where I should be able to change my phone and network settings. Where it does say "Phone and Network Setup" on top of the screen, I only have the option to "Edit phone settings". At the bottom of the list I have a starred option to find out about wireless networking but nowhere can I actually do anything about it.

I am very frustrated at this point as the TiVO phone center gives a message that circumstances beyond their control has forced them to close. Is there anything you can help me with?

Thanks for your time,
Glover
cnmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 11:00 PM   #27
ccwf
国際化 Member

Re: PLEASE help me with wireless adapter!

Quote:
Originally posted by cnmid
My system info confirms that I have the home media option and my software version is 4.01-01 (it doesn't have an a or b). I have forced dial up logins several times so I presume I have the latest software version.
If you downloaded the latest software (about an hour long call), then your TiVo should say it is pending restart. When you reboot your TiVo, it will then install that downloaded software upgrade, and your wireless card should be usable. If you don't force your TiVo to reboot (the Restart option under System Reset), it will automatically reboot at ~2am. If your TiVo does not say it is pending restart, then let us know what your TiVo says about the status of the last call.

TiVo

中日韓
ccwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 02:27 AM   #28
elbel

i have been trying for over a month to get wireless networking to work with my newly purchased toshiba sd-h400, and i'm hoping someone here can help me. basically, my sd-h400 works perfectly _until_ i plug a wireless network adapter into it. then it just reboots continuously.

first, i updated my software to 5.1.1b. then i plugged in a netgear ma11. the network would come up, and i could successfully run the test connection. however, it would run for only about 5 minutes before going into a rebooting loop, which could only be stopped by physically removing the wireless adapter.

next, i tried using a linksys wusb12 which, according to the tivo website, is supported by the toshiba with or without the software upgrade. i got the exact same results, with the system rebooting nonstop.

so then i tried the linksys wusb11, but the only one i found was v2.8. again, same results.

i am trying to decide if it is even worth trying to find a linksys wusb11 v2.6 to try with this. at this point, i will be paying restocking fees on 3 wireless adapters, and i'd rather not make that 4.

has anyone been able to get their sd-h400's to work with a non-wusb11 v2.6 adapter? or, if anyone has had this kind of problem, please let me know!

thanks.
ellen
elbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 02:55 AM   #29
knwberg

I just hooked up a series 2Tivo. I also installed a Linksys Wireless-G broadband router (WRT54G) to my computer. I need detailed directions on how to connect the Tivo through the router. Is it possible to be truly "wireless" or is there still going to be a wire between the Tivo and router?
knwberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 10:22 PM   #30
cnmid

Note Re: Re: PLEASE help me with wireless adapter!

Quote:
Originally posted by ccwf
If you downloaded the latest software (about an hour long call), then your TiVo should say it is pending restart.
It turns out I was disconnecting the download before it was done without realizing it. TiVo would revert back to live TV at some point during the download and I thought the call was finished so I would disconnect the line. I forced another connection after reading your message and after TiVo went back to live TV I check the connection status and realized that it was still downloading. This time I was smart enough to let it finish. Sure enough about one hour later it was done. I got the pending restart message and after restarting everything has worked as advertised!

Thank you (very much) for your time!!
cnmid is offline   Reply With Quote