TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-22-2003, 03:50 PM   #151
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

No, you can't move shows to a PC hard drive with HMO. However, if you did get a second TiVo Series 2 and had HMO, you could move shows between the two units for viewing in another room, etc. From reading this thread, I think timckelley would benefit greatly from a DVD recorder. Your wife could start archiving some of those shows to a format that takes up less storage space and will presumably last longer. However, unless is it a TiVo with built-in DVD-R, it won't solve your scheduling conflicts. For the time being, you can get a relatively inexpensive used Series 1 and use it unsubbed like you mentioned. That's probably the cheapest solution for now.
Old 12-22-2003, 04:26 PM   #152
timckelley
TCFer

Yes, several times I've talked to my wife about switching to DVD instead of VHS. She doesn't seem to think it's that important because she's happy with VHS. (I say, the quality of the picture is pretty subpar on those tapes.) But she really likes the batch-save-to-DVD feature of the Pioneer. But on the other hand, it seems like I read about some sort of editing disadvantages of Pioneer vs standalone burner. Plus, there's the price tag. Isn't it cheaper to buy an old series one and a standalone burner than to buy the combined deal with Pioneer? Also, by buying a la carta, if one component breaks, I just need to fix/replace that component. If Pioneer breaks, I'm in big trouble.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- slydog75

- Bryanmc
timckelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 05:14 PM   #153
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

You just have to decide what is important to you regarding recording and editing on DVD. There are pros and cons to both the PioneerTiVoBurner and a standalone DVD/R.

Pioneer Pros:
Batch save
Record faster than real time and still use TiVo
Direct digital transfer of data off hard drive
DVD menus are just like a TiVo menu

Pioneer Cons:
Cost
Disc must be finalized every time it is recorded to
No editing capabilities

Standalone Pros:
Less expensive than Pioneer
Limited editing capabilites
Ability to buy burner that works with +/- media
Burn to RW media in multiple sessions

Standalone Cons:
Extra digital to analog conversion
Shows record in real time and tie up TiVo
Menus on DVD vary by burner manufacturer
Old 12-22-2003, 11:53 PM   #154
cptodd
Just Me!

Quote:
Originally posted by devdogaz
Standalone Cons:
Extra digital to analog conversion
Shows record in real time and tie up TiVo
Menus on DVD vary by burner manufacturer
That real time thing was what tipped it for me! The Pioneer is SOOOOOO much more convenient for this reason.
cptodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 09:00 AM   #155
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally posted by timckelley
...she seems to realize the importance of not making everything KUID. We still have a lot of KUID, but there's also a certain amount of KU <date> and KUSN.

RETRACTION!!! I just checked our TiVo this morning, and except for 1 hour and 30 minutes of suggestions, every bit of it is filled up with her KUID stuff. Fortunately the To Do list contains very little of my stuff, as things are mostly in reruns this week. Today's To Do list contains 1 hour of her stuff, but tommorrow's has 6 more hours of her stuff, so I can see she's still living on the edge. She continues to offload stuff daily, but is barely keeping ahead of the wavefront, like a surfer just in front of the breaking wave.

There's actually a 3 hour movie on there that I recorded, but she changed that to KUID. I don't know if she did that to protect my movie or because she also wants to watch it. (She told me she intends to either watch the movie or offload to tape.)

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc

Last edited by timckelley : 09-15-2006 at 02:16 PM.
Old 12-23-2003, 09:02 AM   #156
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Pioneer Pros:
Standalone Pros:
Less expensive than Pioneer
Limited editing capabilites
Ability to buy burner that works with +/- media
Burn to RW media in multiple sessions
Can you explain to me the difference between +/- media and other media?

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 12-23-2003, 10:00 AM   #157
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

The Pioneer TiVo only works with - media, meaning DVD-R and DVD-RW. There are other DVD burners that only uses + media and there are still others that will burn to both types. There is a debate as to which is better and I don't have an opinion on that. I was simply stating that if you want a choice, you have to go with a standalone because the Pioneer will only do -.

Back to your wife: If she is offloading stuff every day to try and keep ahead of the wave, you really need a new solution. There is no way she's ever going to have time to watch all this stuff and your house is going to be overrun by VHS tapes. The Pioneer burner will save her a ton of time in archiving because she can simply line up a number of shows to go to a DVD and hit record. A little while later it will be done. A standalone DVD recorder will not save any time over the VHS, the only difference is picture quality and storage space. But it sounds to me like you really need to do something soon, or she needs to shake her compulsive habits. I used to be the same way when Seinfeld was still on the air. I made it a goal to get every episode of Seinfeld on tape and I prettymuch did. But those tapes have been in a box in the garage for a few years now and I realistically can't see a time when I will ever pull them out and watch them. My guess is this will be the same iwth most of the stuff your wife has on tape. She'll be comforted to know she has it on tape, but to actually go dig it out when she wants to watch it will be a whole different story. My guess is that 90+% of the stuff she records will never be watched and someday you'll be throwing away a whole boatload of VHS tapes.
Old 12-23-2003, 11:13 AM   #158
timckelley
TCFer

Yes, I told my wife about the batch save feature of Pioneer. To my surprise, she told me it's not a high priority for her because once Xmas is over, she intends to cut way back on her TiVoing of shows. (I'll be interested to see if that actually happens.)

She was also concerned about how much stuff can you put on one disk. Isn't it true that you can put more stuff on one VHS tape than you can put on one DVD disk?

Of course, Pioneer also has the TiVO basic option, which might be an advantage (i.e. money saver) for us, if we can live with having full service on just one TiVo. I suppose I could put wishlists on the one that has full service, in order to prompt me to add recordings to the Pioneer. But somehow I suspect that one day, I'll want to add full service to the Pioneer, if that's what we get.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 12-23-2003, 11:36 AM   #159
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Depending on the recording quality you choose, the Pioneer can put up to 6? hours on a DVD, roughly the same as on a VHS tape. If you are happy with the PQ of a VHS tape at 6 hours, you'd probably be fine with the Pioneer at 6 hours too, but some have said that the higher resolution causes more artifacting to appear so that may be an issue.

If you're going to end up with two TiVos and maybe only subscribe one of them, I would think you would for sure want the Pioneer to be subscribed since it will be the one you can archive from and therefore should be the one doing the lion's share of her recordings. Of course that would mean that your other unit would have to be a pre-1.3 Series 1.
Old 12-23-2003, 11:48 AM   #160
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
If you're going to end up with two TiVos and maybe only subscribe one of them, I would think you would for sure want the Pioneer to be subscribed since it will be the one you can archive from and therefore should be the one doing the lion's share of her recordings. Of course that would mean that your other unit would have to be a pre-1.3 Series 1.
Good point. Darn. I've already got a lifetime sub on my current series 2 TiVo.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 12-30-2003, 11:47 AM   #161
tmsmalley

Tell her "My Mom would never hog the TiVo with too many KUIDs." (The Mom + hog reference always works!) Then, when she leaves you, make sure she doesn't pack the TiVo!
Old 12-30-2003, 02:58 PM   #162
geoman47
ˇ Member !

Wow! Just read this whole thread. Makes me appreciate my wife even more because she sticks to our KUID rules, which I took for granted!

We’ve had our 60 hour TiVo for a little longer than a year, and we discussed getting a 2nd TiVo, but with no discount on a 2nd lifetime sub, its not going to happen. We also talked about upgrading the Hard Drive, which we may do, but really that would just help to watch more movies and archive stuff.

Really what we have done is picked about 2-3 of our favorite shows each. These are the ONLY shows that are allowed to be set to KUID. 2-3 episodes of each favorite show. And we HAVE to respect the limit. Exceptions aren’t allowed, they can seem like short term good ideas, but always hurt more than they help in the long term.

At basic quality which we can live with, that gives us like around 20 hours MAX of KUID stuff, the rest is fair game. I never thought of it like this until this thread, but we also treat it like Rolnikov’s river analogy. That is, if you have time to watch a show fine, if not, it will or something else will flow by.
geoman47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 04:00 PM   #163
timckelley
TCFer

Well, this morning she asked me if I was going to watch a SouthPark ep that recorded. I said yes, and so she changed it to KUID. I guess she does this to everything now. She records everything as KUSN, and changes it to KUID once it's in Now Playing. When Enterprise resumes in a couple of weeks, the TiVo *better not* be full! Gosh, I wonder if I'll need a backup plan, like (gasp!) programming our old 20th century VCR to record Star Trek. (covering ears from all the sounds of shocked horror)

I know I know, I'm going to buy a second TiVo. But I borrowed against our retirement (don't worry it was post-tax funds, so no penalty) to pay our property tax, and once I've repaid our retirement funds (which should be soon), I intend to buy a second TiVo.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 12-30-2003, 04:26 PM   #164
Philosofy
Super Duper Member

This makes me forgive my wife's little habit. She is a neat freak, and our cordless phone keeps track of who called. She is always clearing that out, making it just a little more difficult to return calls (now I have to look up the number, etc.) What, you say? Program the numbers into the phone? I did that. She erased them.

She used to clear out the suggestions on our TiVo, too, until I explained they really aren't taking up the space of stuff in the Now Playing or To Do lists.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:15 AM   #165
timckelley
TCFer

I'm now shopping for my second TiVo and am also in the middle of negotiations with my wife on how to manage our two TiVos. She really doesn't like the idea of putting shows we both watch onto both TiVos, and having each of us delete our half when we watch it.

But she did sign on to the idea that I'm allowed to make any of my shows on my TiVo KUID, and if she puts any of her shows on my TiVo, it must be KUSN. Also, if it's a show we both watch, and it's on my TiVo, once I watch it, if she hasn't watched it yet, I have the right to convert it to KUSN.

I can't argue with those terms, because it totally protects my shows to the same degree as if she totally stays off my TiVo.

But she's already telling me that she wants to put some of her stuff on my TiVo. And it'll be interesting to see if she actually lives up to these terms. I hope that down the road I don't hear her saying "I know I have shows A,B,C..., G on your TiVo, but show E is really important. Can you make that KUID?" Or worse, she walks over and makes it KUID on her own without telling me.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 01-06-2004, 10:22 AM   #166
Philosofy
Super Duper Member

Have you thought about upgrading her TiVo? Drop another 120 gig in there, and if she fills it up, tell her tought luck.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:40 AM   #167
timckelley
TCFer

Yes, actually, if either TiVo is to be upgraded, it will be hers. My first priority is to get a second TiVo, though, and eventually we'll probably upgrade hers, probably thru weakknees. I'm thinking of installing the HD myself, but letting them configure it. Who knows? It's possible that the priority of her upgrade could increase if she starts violating the 2-TiVo groundrules.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 01-06-2004, 11:47 AM   #168
Mike20878
Jake & Adam's dad

Quote:
Originally posted by Philosofy
This makes me forgive my wife's little habit. She is a neat freak, and our cordless phone keeps track of who called. She is always clearing that out, making it just a little more difficult to return calls (now I have to look up the number, etc.) What, you say? Program the numbers into the phone? I did that. She erased them.

She used to clear out the suggestions on our TiVo, too, until I explained they really aren't taking up the space of stuff in the Now Playing or To Do lists.
Hopefully she doesn't try to alphabetize the season passes...
Mike20878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 11:50 AM   #169
mitchb2

Re: Wife won't delete recordings

Quote:

(Actually, it's projecting that by the time the show airs, it'll be out of memory because of the "To Do" list,
That's an incredibly annoying feature (bug).
It's happened to me before....pretty silly to assume that nothing between now and then will be watched and deleted.
mitchb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 11:56 AM   #170
timckelley
TCFer

Re: Re: Wife won't delete recordings

Quote:
Originally posted by mitchb2
That's an incredibly annoying feature (bug).
It's happened to me before....pretty silly to assume that nothing between now and then will be watched and deleted.
Yes, I know they want to protect themselves and us by not promising to record something that won't record, but they could at least flash a message: "You show has been added to the To Do List, but it will not be recorded due to lack of space, unless you delete other shows before the show airs on xx/xx".

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc

Last edited by timckelley : 09-15-2006 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-06-2004, 01:13 PM   #171
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:

But she's already telling me that she wants to put some of her stuff on my TiVo. And it'll be interesting to see if she actually lives up to these terms. I hope that down the road I don't hear her saying "I know I have shows A,B,C..., G on your TiVo, but show E is really important. Can you make that KUID?" Or worse, she walks over and makes it KUID on her own without telling me.
You're really going to stand firm here. Based on past history, once she starts putting her shows on your TiVo, you're done for.
Soon you'll be in the same position as you were before except her shows will be filling two TiVos and you'll have none.
And getting a third TiVo will be your only option......

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 01:16 PM   #172
timckelley
TCFer

So I wonder if that's why some of the posters here admit to having in excess of 6 TiVos.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 01-06-2004, 01:24 PM   #173
killzone

You will probably need 3 or 4 tivos. I bought a 2nd Tivo for my wife but she still records all sorts of stuff on my Tivo.
killzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 01:51 PM   #174
timckelley
TCFer

Well as long as she sticks to her KUSN rule, I won't be impacted by her shows on my TiVo, but of course if she sticks enough of her KUSN stuff on it, she'll start losing shows and then will come the moment of truth. Will she attempt to take action to preserve her shows from deletion, like changing our ground rules (2 TiVo rules), or will she abide by the rules and let her shows die? Well, I wear the pants, and my TiVo is my TiVo!

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 01-07-2004, 04:51 PM   #175
timckelley
TCFer

Well, things are moving along nicely. With two TiVos we'll need to reorganize our equipment, plus I want to modulate our original TiVo, integrating it with our house's On Q system so that it will be viewable from the entire house, so I'll need a modulator.

I also need more shelves in my entertainment center, and so I bought some wood today from Lowe's and some stain to stain it the same color as my entertainment center. I bought a second VA500 UPS for $20 (normally $60) using discounts I got off of slickdeals.com. I'm about to order my modulator for $55 from worthington.com after I verify I've got a blank channel at home to modulate it onto. I'm currently tracking ebay auctions for a TiVo, or I might buy it from servicedvr.com. I need to go to Radioshack to buy remote extenders, and a couple of A/B switches.

Hopefully before too much longer, I'll be finished and will have joined all you multiple TiVo owners. Just in time too, because some of my SPs are starting to come off from their dormant rerun status.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc

Last edited by timckelley : 01-08-2004 at 10:10 AM.
Old 01-07-2004, 05:26 PM   #176
Dr. Thodt

Quote:
after our talk a half a year ago, she seems to realize the importance of not making everything KUID.
I pray for the day my g/f finally learns this lesson.
Dr. Thodt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 07:22 PM   #177
lajohn27
Fanboi.. So what?

SEVEN TiVOS? SEV-EN?!!!

Somewhere way back in this thread.. I read about SEVEN TiVOs in one house.. and the very first thought in my head wasn't 'why so many' or whatever..

But instead.. how would I remember what TiVO had what Season Pass and forget about watching the Suggestions..

lajohn27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 08:56 AM   #178
JustAllie
Number crunchin'

Quote:
Or worse, she walks over and makes it KUID on her own without telling me.
If she does this, it's pretty clear that she's saying she doesn't respect you or your things.

If she tries that, change the groundrules to "My TiVo is My TiVo, Don't Touch!", and delete anything of hers that appears on there. Lock up that TiVo's remote when you're not using it.
JustAllie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 10:16 AM   #179
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Thodt
I pray for the day my g/f finally learns this lesson (not making everything KUID).
Later in this thread, I retracted my statement. My wife is using KUID with gusto. But her SPs and To Dos are all KUSN. Once they they show up in Now Playing, she manually converts all to KUID I've talked to her about this, but haven't been able to persuade her to change. Well, since I'm about to get my own TiVo, who cares?

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc

Last edited by timckelley : 09-27-2006 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-08-2004, 12:16 PM   #180
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
I've really enjoyed reading your thread, Tim, and I hope 2 TiVos helps. You are going to have to stand firm when she comes to you to use some of your space. If you allow her to use any of it (and I personally would say no), her stuff on there MUST be Space Available... no ifs ands or buts! You each set the rules on your own TiVo, and stick by them. Otherwise getting the second TiVo won't solve the problem.

Come join us October 5-12, 2014!
martinp13 is offline   Reply With Quote