TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-27-2003, 03:01 PM   #1
TiVoStephen
formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Arrow Read this if you want to use your Series2 DVR with a wireless adapter

[Note: This article is now very out of date -- it was written in 2003 and last updated in 2004.

For updated information; please visit http://www.tivo.com/adapters/ for the latest information about wireless adapter compatibility. Note that most boxes you purchase are now able to complete Guided Setup without having to use a phone line. We also now sell our own TiVo-branded adapter from http://store.tivo.com/ and in addition, the new Series2 DT units have built-in Ethernet.]

[Updated on 11/18/04 to add information about the D-Link DWL-120 ver. F adapter, and to restructure the article.]

If you'd like to set up your Series2 Standalone DVR to use a wired or wireless adapter, in order to allow you to make connections via broadband and to avoid the use of a phone line, and to allow use of the Home Media Features, here's what you need to know.

First, please read this support article to learn about which adapters are compatible with your Series2 Standalone DVR:
http://www.tivo.com/adapters/
That article is always updated before this post, so that article may have more recent information then the information below.

(What's a Series2 Standalone DVR? Any TiVo-branded unit, any AT&T unit, the Sony SVR 3000, any Toshiba unit, any Pioneer unit, and any Humax unit. For all Philips HDR units and the Sony SVR2000: You have a Series1 unit, and this post doesn't apply. This post also doesn't apply to any DIRECTV with TiVo Receivers -- if you want support for broadband, you'll need to contact DIRECTV and tell them you'd like to request that they make networking support available as a feature.)

NOTE: You will NOT be able to use a wireless adapter to complete Guided Setup. Instead, you will need to use a phone line both during Guided Setup, and probably for the first call afterwards that will download the new software. If you don't have a phone line, you have two options:
  1. Take your unit to a friend or neighbor's house and borrow their phone line. Complete both Guided Setup AND the next call afterwards to download the latest software (see below).
  2. If you have a wired (NOT wireless) adapter that you can borrow or use temporarily, there is one possible workaround to avoid a phone line, described in this thread. (Also, please see this article about "Can I Use My Broadband Connection to Repeat Guided Setup?".)
You will NOT see any networking options until after your adapter is recognized. In order for your adapter to be recognized, you MUST be running the software that supports your adapter.

Here are supported adapters and what version is required:
  • Linksys WUSB11 v2.6 -- TiVo software version 4.0.1 or later required
  • Linksys WUSB11 v2.8 -- TiVo software version 4.0.1a or later required
  • Linksys WUSB11 v3.0 -- TiVo software version 4.0.1b or later required
  • Linksys WUSB11 v4.0 -- NOT compatible with any DVR
  • Netgear MA111 v1 -- TiVo software version 4.0.1b or later required
  • Netgear MA111 v2 -- NOT compatible with any DVR
  • Belkin F5D6050 v2000 -- TiVo software version 4.0.1b or later required
  • D-Link DWL-122 -- TiVo software version 4.01b or later required
  • D-Link DWL-120 ver. E -- TiVo software version 4.0.1b or later required
  • D-Link DWL-120 ver. F -- TiVo software version 4.0.1c or 5.3b required -- see below for how to get this special software
NOTE: If you have an older TiVo Series2 with a TiVo Service Number that begins with 110, 130 or 140, not all of the above adapters are compatible with your unit. Check the compatible adapters list for details.

If your adapter is NOT listed above, check the compatible adapters list, because there are a few other adapters that are compatible. But, if your adapter is NOT listed in the article, it will most likely NOT work at all. Our apologies for any inconvenience.

You can find out what version of TiVo software you're running by going to the System Information screen, under Messages & Setup. (If you're in the middle of Guided Setup, you can get to the System Information screen by choosing "Other" or "None of the above" from some screens.)

You can find out what the latest software version is by reading this article.

With one exception (see below), you will always automatically receive the latest software when your DVR make its next connection AFTER you complete Guided Setup. So, after you finish Guided Setup, just force another connection to the TiVo service. To force a connection:
TiVo Central -> Messages & Setup -> Settings -> Phone & Network -> Connect to the TiVo service now

This connection must also be made via phone line. You must wait for the call to be fully successful (and note that this call will take up to an hour to complete). The connection status will be listed as "Pending restart" after the software is fully downloaded and ready to be installed. If the call fails for any reason (for example, you picked up the phone line and interrupted the call), just keep trying until the status says "Pending restart." (Note that at some point, you might return to live television automatically. That's okay, the call is still in process; you can go back to the Settings screens to check on the call's status.)

After your connection status says "Pending restart," you can either wait until 2 am for your unit to restart and install the new software automatically, or you can restart it yourself at any time (unplug it, wait a minute, then plug it back in). After the DVR finishes restarting, the latest software will be installed and your wireless adapter will be recognized. See this article if you need help configuring your adapter.

If you'd like to use the D-Link DWL-120 ver. F adapter, you will need to request a special software version that supports that adapter. This software version is NOT delivered by default -- instead, you have to sign up your TiVo Service Number to receive it. Use this web page:
http://research.tivo.com/DLink120/

Follow the instructions on that page to request the software for your unit to support the D-Link DWL-120 ver. F adapter.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best regards,
Stephen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TiVoOpsMgr : 08-03-2006 at 05:49 PM.
TiVoStephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 06:43 PM   #2
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

(bump - mods, care to make this sticky?)
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 06:50 PM   #3
dig_duggler
losing enthusiasm

sweet

bee-ump
emailed tivo manager at 4:00
got reply at 4:05 that it was in the pipeline and would be 50 min
downloaded and installed by 6
up and running now
Thank you very much Tivo Manager!
dig_duggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 08:18 PM   #4
cman2000

Just sent my TiVo info to estephen@tivo.com and hopeful to see a response when they can get to it.
cman2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 10:47 PM   #5
TiVoStephen
formerly TiVoOpsMgr

[NOTE added on 5/25/04: When I first started this thread and wrote the below reply on 12-27-03, 4.0.1b had not been released and the only way to get it was to sign up on a priority form or e-mail me. Since 4.0.1b has now been released to all customers, there is no priority form, and there's no need to e-mail me to get 4.0.1b. My first post in the thread above is the latest and current information. Thanks, Stephen]

cman2000 is taken care of...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TiVoOpsMgr : 05-26-2004 at 12:19 PM.
Old 12-28-2003, 01:12 AM   #6
matthewwhite

Thanks Steve for sending the update. Steve must work 24/7. I contacted him late last night and the update was ready in less than an hour.

I got the Tivo from my wife for Christmas, (this was a major victory as she is reluctant to adopt "new" technology). When she saw the phone cord running across the living room she would alternate between fits of laughter and mockery. I'd like to thank Steve for sending the update promptly so I could regain my technological pride. Instead of sneering, she simply says "neat."

Now that I have the wireless in place (a D-Link DWL-122), I'm going to slowly plant the seed for the need of the HMO. I predict it will take just about six months. I just missed the free trial, I bet I could have her loving it in a month if she didn't have to agree to spend the $100 first.

Thanks again TiVoOpsMgr...

Matt
matthewwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 08:40 AM   #7
mistereed

Toshiba Upgrade Request

Hi, just posted my service number to the email address. Thanks much!
mistereed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 09:11 AM   #8
ufo4sale

why isn't this a sticky yet?
Old 12-28-2003, 04:47 PM   #9
Dmtalon
I love Tivo...

Thanks a bunch!!

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to send out a public thanks to Stephen for quickly making the 4.0.1a update available to me today.

I emailed him and within 5 minutes received a response that said I could force an update in around 50 minutes. 50 minutes later I forced a phone update, and an hour later I had my updates. Restarted the Tivo and it recognized my v2.8 Linksys WUSB11. After a few minutes configuring the wifi / network, I was able to force a second call without the phoneline!! woohoo!!

Thanks again Stephen

Dallace
Dmtalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 05:05 PM   #10
ufo4sale

Isn't technology great when it works.
ufo4sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 06:35 PM   #11
dig_duggler
losing enthusiasm

I wanted to re-emphasize my amazement and appreciation at the speed and convenience that Tivo Manager has presented in this instance, and just his overall presence here, which isn't required but is done (smartly) at cultivating good customer relationships. It reminds me why I love Tivo and always heartily recommend it, even to my non-techie parents.
dig_duggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 08:03 PM   #12
voorson

I am headed to the store tomorrow to get a wireless adapter and a wireless router. I have read the above, does it matter what kind of router I get? I dont think it should. I want to get a Linksys 2.4GHz Wireless-G Access Point router and I will look for an adapter like you suggested. Do I need anything else at this point?
I have a brand new TiVo.

Thanks
voorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 08:14 PM   #13
tomo_kun
DJT0M0.

now mind you, when he mentiond sony branded, he means the SVR-3000, not the SAT-T60 or the SVR-2000

tomo_kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 08:38 PM   #14
TiVoStephen
formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Absolutely right, tomo_kun, thanks for the clarification. Unfortunately only Series2 standalone units (TiVo 40, 60 and 80 hour, AT&T 40 hour, Sony SVR3000, Toshiba Digital Media Server with TiVo, and Pioneer TiVo-enabled DVD recorders) support broadband.

You'll know if you have the right model if your TiVo Service Number begins with either 110, 130, 140, 1F0, 230, 240, 2F0, 264, 2F4, 275 or 2F5.

[Edit: Oops, fixed my misspelling of tomo_kun's name.]

Last edited by TiVoOpsMgr : 12-31-2003 at 07:44 PM.
Old 12-28-2003, 09:19 PM   #15
Dmtalon
I love Tivo...

Quote:
Originally posted by voorson
Does it matter what kind of router I get? I dont think it should. I want to get a Linksys 2.4GHz Wireless-G Access Point router and I will look for an adapter like you suggested. Do I need anything else at this point?
I have a brand new TiVo. Thanks
I have a Linksys WRT54G (4 port wired router / wifi B/G AP) and I bought the WUSB11B (v2.8) today. I use the wifi router for my laptop(which I'm on now at 54g), my IPAQ5555 (802.11b) and now my Tivo (TCD24004A).

You will need to send an email to Stephen with your Tivo Serial Number so he can set you up to get your updates.

After setting up my Tivo and running through the "guide" I forced a call to Tivo by going to settings / phone settings. This got me version 4.0.1, and emailing Stephen got me 4.0.1a (which you need for the v2.8 adapter)

Hope this all makes sense.

Dallace
Old 12-29-2003, 04:44 PM   #16
timdaniels

Oops. Emailed already

Stephen,

I fired off my email request before reading all of the posts. Sorry!
timdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 02:47 PM   #17
futerfas

Quote:
Originally posted by ufo4sale
Isn't technology great when it works.
Yep, espesally when you have a 2.6 version
"keep going son, you'll make a fine lawyer" -Marco
"ever since Junior High Futerfas has had a fear of having his picture taken" -ZeoTiVo
"I keep 'em [signatures] turned off so no matter how creative they are, no matter how much time and effort you put into yours, there's at least one person here who'll never see it to appreciate it." -SparkleMotion
"Nothing is more permanent than a temporary solution." -edhara
futerfas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 09:04 PM   #18
TiVoStephen
formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Note: I have updated my first post above to reflect that 4.0.1b (which was previously in beta) is now released as an on-demand release, and replaces 4.0.1a. If you previously requested 4.0.1a, we will be moving you to 4.0.1b over the next few days.

We will work to make getting 4.0.1b as easy as possible, so we are investigating some enhancements to the process. More details forthcoming.

Thanks!

--Stephen

Old 12-30-2003, 09:31 PM   #19
futerfas

so i'm assuming that all the adapters in 4.0.1a also work in 4.0.1b, right?
"ever since Junior High Futerfas has had a fear of having his picture taken" -ZeoTiVo
"I keep 'em [signatures] turned off so no matter how creative they are, no matter how much time and effort you put into yours, there's at least one person here who'll never see it to appreciate it." -SparkleMotion
Old 12-30-2003, 09:33 PM   #20
Dmtalon
I love Tivo...

Quote:
Originally posted by TiVoOpsMgr
If you previously requested 4.0.1a, we will be moving you to 4.0.1b over the next few days.

We will work to make getting 4.0.1b as easy as possible, so we are investigating some enhancements to the process. More details forthcoming.
This means that over the next couple of days / weeks on one of our call-ins we'll get the latest file? Should be a lot nicer being on wifi vs. a crappy phone line
Old 12-30-2003, 09:36 PM   #21
futerfas

Quote:
Originally posted by futerfas
so i'm assuming that all the adapters in 4.0.1a also work in 4.0.1b, right?
nevermind, i reread tivoopsmgr's post and it does. So will these updates ever be forced onto tivo's, or remain on-demand.
Old 12-30-2003, 09:41 PM   #22
bedelman
Call me Bob

What's with the units that have TSN's that begin with 1F0, 2F0, 2F4, and 2F5 (as noted on the web form)? I don't recognize those prefixes and they don't match the prefixes listed on the rebate forms which lists the valid Series 2 prefixes as 110, 130, 140, 230, 240, 264, and 275.

You can never have too many TiVo's (7) or wireless routers (5) -- all in one residence!
bedelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 09:43 PM   #23
futerfas

Mabye there the DVD combo units
Old 12-30-2003, 11:38 PM   #24
TiVoStephen
formerly TiVoOpsMgr

"F" units are special units!

Dmtalon, yes, anyone who currently has 4.0.1a will be getting 4.0.1b on their next connection. You're correct that since you're now using broadband, it should be a very quick download.

Futerfas, you're right that the 4.0.1a supported adapters are also supported with 4.0.1b -- 4.0.1b just adds support for the Linksys WUSB11 v3.0. But now that 4.0.1b is no longer beta software, we'd rather ease confusion by only having one on-demand release (and we'd rather have customer support not have to deal with too many different software versions), so 4.0.1a is being replaced with 4.0.1b.

I'll post next week as to the status of whether or not we will release 4.0.1b to all Series2 customers.

Thanks,
Stephen

Last edited by TiVoOpsMgr : 12-31-2003 at 07:53 PM.
Old 12-30-2003, 11:55 PM   #25
bedelman
Call me Bob

Quote:
Originally posted by futerfas
Mabye there the DVD combo units
Nope -- those are the 264 and 275 units.

The update is that these are "special" units. Hmmm....

You can never have too many TiVo's (7) or wireless routers (5) -- all in one residence!
bedelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 09:39 AM   #26
futerfas

According to this website from tivo.com, those model numbers dont even exist! Hmmm...
Old 12-31-2003, 07:54 PM   #27
TiVoStephen
formerly TiVoOpsMgr

They exist all right.

Old 12-31-2003, 07:58 PM   #28
futerfas

Something's fishy, whats so special about the "F" units?
Old 12-31-2003, 08:39 PM   #29
futerfas

Mabye their "Free" units, or the "Favorite" of the tivos
Old 01-01-2004, 10:43 AM   #30
patriots2004

Sent my request to upgrade to 4.0.1b. Please confirm that an update will occur @ noon Pacific on 1/1/04. many thanks
patriots2004 is offline   Reply With Quote