TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-20-2002, 05:22 PM   #1
MBlaustein

Arrow Remote mishaps

Hi all-

has anyone else experienced this one? While using the DOWN arrows on my HDVR2 remote, the IR signal is often "confused" with one for my Zenith TV. So, my tv will switch to SOURCE mode or change channels from 3 to 2. This happens 1 out of lets say 25 presses on the button. Anyone know a solution for this?
thanks
MBlaustein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2002, 05:53 PM   #2
Edmund
Remote Czar

It's a well known problem with Zenith tv's, change the remote address of your tivo.
Edmund is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 02:29 PM   #3
MBlaustein

Thanks for the information! I had been contemplating getting a different TV because of this...Before I go digging through the manual, is this something thats fairly easy to do through the setup screens?
Thanks again!
Old 12-23-2002, 02:39 PM   #4
mattster28

same problem

yep, i have the same problem...but with my panasonic tv
mattster28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 02:42 PM   #5
Edmund
Remote Czar

To Switch Addresses

1. MENU> MESSAGES & SETUP> SYSTEM INFO

2. scroll down to REMOTE ADDRESS

3. point the remote away from the receiver, press and hold PAUSE & TIVO(or DIRECTV key) until the red light remains on

4. press one of the #'s on the remote between 1-9( or if a Sony 1-3), that changes the remote to a new address.

5. now point the remote towards the receiver, press the right directional button, this changes the receiver.

Never leave one tivo on any part of the INFO screen, when using remote for another, it will change to that remotes address.

Last edited by Edmund : 03-28-2006 at 12:55 PM.
Old 12-23-2002, 02:46 PM   #6
MBlaustein

thanks Edmund! I'll give it a shot!
Old 12-26-2002, 09:34 AM   #7
is2scooby

Had this problem, did a search, found this thread, used the steps listed, problem solved!

The Tivo community hard at work!

Mahalo (Thank You) Guys!
Old 01-17-2003, 07:26 PM   #8
IronChefX

Worked for me too

Was this in the instruction manual?
IronChefX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 11:13 AM   #9
djtravis

I had the same probem with my Zenith TV, found this thread, followed the steps as outlined by Edmund, and the problem is solved!! I will print this page and put it in the manual.

Thank you very much TiVo community for this thread.
Old 10-06-2003, 11:52 AM   #10
joec1936

Does this work on the blue DirecTV universal remote? Mine doesn't have a
tivo button or a red lite, other than the deevice selection buttons, such as TV, SAT, VCR, and AUX. Is there a button that means TIVO but is labeled differently?
joec1936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 12:30 PM   #11
Edmund
Remote Czar

Sorry, but no, the blue remote from DTV only has the default address "0", which is what causing the conflict with the zenith. You'll need a true peanut remote to change addesses.
Old 10-13-2003, 09:07 PM   #12
Tivorella

This is a great thread! It worked for my Zenith tv!
Tivorella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 01:10 PM   #13
SpeedNut

Thumbs up

This thread will save me from the only real frustration I've had with my new TiVo in the first 24 hours of ownership, faaaaaantastic
SpeedNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 08:43 PM   #14
Reactor Breach

Note

Would a moderator please put this thread permanently at the top or at least near to it. Maybe add "erroneous remote signals" to the title if it can be done. I too experienced TV input and channel changes while attempting to 'scroll' down lists. Even after changing the code once thanks to the information on this post after rapid pressing of the down arrow I'd change the channel; I had to change it again to clear up all problems and now it works wonderfully.

I say Thank You to this forum!
Reactor Breach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2003, 04:03 AM   #15
ccwf
国際化 Member

The forum tries to limit the number of sticky threads to a few, really important ones (with good reason—see some of the other forums with gigantic numbers of stickies).

However, I've added this thread to the thread Before you ask—please check these top answers for TiVo questions! It's also currently #21 in the Most Viewed Recent Help Center threads.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TiVo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

中日韓
ccwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 08:56 AM   #16
TheatreWiz

>4.while pointing the remote towards the receiver, press
>one of the #'s between 1-9( or if a Sony 1-3), that changes
>the remote to a new address.

Anything special about the new Pioneer DVR-810H? Still any # 1-9?
TheatreWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 02:19 PM   #17
nhow

Edmund,

Many thanks for pointing me to this thread. I shall try the advice after work tonight. Too bad the tech people at Samsung don't seem to know any of this!!! They might be able to help users instead of just saying "too bad, it's just a glitch!"

Nancy
nhow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 02:27 PM   #18
nhow

Oh oh, I may not have solved the problem after all. I reread the instructions you offered for reprogramming the remote address, also another post about DirectTV tivo (which is what I have) and realised there is no TIVO button on my remote (only the blue DirectTV button that takes you into the menu system). Any work arounds to this?

Thanks!

Nancy
Old 02-10-2004, 02:35 PM   #19
Edmund
Remote Czar

Tivo button is the same as the Directv button, you do have the peanut shaped remote?
Old 03-01-2004, 01:35 PM   #20
PAP

I'm having a related problem addressing remotes - can anyone here please check this thread . Please!
PAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 10:16 AM   #21
nhow

Thanks for the tip, Edmund. Yes, I do have a peanut remote. I tried using the DirectTV button as the Tivo button but was not able to reprogram to any other number.
Old 03-11-2004, 02:20 PM   #22
nhow

Note

Hi Edmund,

I reread your instructions and realised I had omitted the final step (clicking the right arrow button). I have now been able to reprogram the remote from 0 to 2. So far nothing untoward has happened...hopefully, this was the solution.

Again many thanks for your suggestions.

Nancy
Old 03-11-2004, 02:27 PM   #23
Edmund
Remote Czar

Glad to help, if address #2 doesn't work, remember there are 8 other addresses to choose from.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:33 PM   #24
ALbino
Lurker Series 2

This problem was driving me nuts. I have two TiVos already and I just bought a 3rd and everytime I pressed '9' my Zenith TV would either switch video sources or changes channels. I couldn't figure it out for the life of me. Imagine my surprise to find this thread in the FAQ. That's why I love this site Thanks!
Old 12-27-2004, 10:54 PM   #25
ic3scrap3r

Thumbs up Awesome TIP

Well, I was seriously considering returning my TIVO Christmas present. This post resolved the one BIG problem I was having with the TIVO. I could not have lived with the chaotic channel changing on my TV.

Thanks!!!
ic3scrap3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 01:54 PM   #26
Hodaka

would this also fix a problem where I'll be happily punching buttons and at odd times it will change my Philips stereo over to AM radio instead of AUX? I'm never sure what button does it, and it doesn't happen all of the time.. can be very annoying..

also, I just got 2 URC 6131 remotes and put the peanut away.. how will this affect them?
Hodaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 02:11 PM   #27
ALbino
Lurker Series 2

You should definitely try just changing the remote control code first.

AL.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:27 PM   #28
Edmund
Remote Czar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodaka
would this also fix a problem where I'll be happily punching buttons and at odd times it will change my Philips stereo over to AM radio instead of AUX? I'm never sure what button does it, and it doesn't happen all of the time.. can be very annoying..

also, I just got 2 URC 6131 remotes and put the peanut away.. how will this affect them?

If it is address "0" that is causing the conflict, then you're out of luck when it comes to 6131, because thats the only address preset. You can send the 6131's off for an upgrade to have setup codes for alternate remote addresses loaded.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:35 PM   #29
Hodaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund
If it is address "0" that is causing the conflict, then you're out of luck when it comes to 6131, because thats the only address preset. You can send the 6131's off for an upgrade to have setup codes for alternate remote addresses loaded.
Truthfully, I've not tried the stereo since I got the 6131. The problem happened with the peanut remote and used to happen with my really old RCA receiver's remote as well. I've not monkeyed with the original remotes, so I assume they defaulted to 0.

Since the 6131 mimics the peanut, I figure the same problem will be there if I try the stereo. However, if I can't adjust the remote address on those, then it's really not worth pursuing any further unless for some strange reason I can adjust my stereo's remote (which I doubt).

edit: called the wife.. the stereo is a philips fwc798

Thanks..

Last edited by Hodaka : 03-23-2005 at 02:51 PM.
Hodaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 01:11 PM   #30
mrbrown2195

Hey all,
I've tried every remote address (0-9) with my Zenith TV, and it has not completely solved the problem. Some addresses are better than others, but it'll still randomly switch inputs, and now, it'll even sometimes set the sleep timer.

Any ideas?
mrbrown2195 is offline   Reply With Quote