TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-31-2003, 10:42 PM   #121
Raspewtin

Re: Wife won't delete recordings

Quote:
Originally posted by timckelley
My wife is unwilling to delete anything, because she wants to watch it all. (There's quite a prodigious amount recorded right now.) She also doesn't know when she'll have time to watch stuff.
Jeez I have to deal with this also. The get a 2nd Tivo thing is a great idea, unless she thinks that's too much stuff for just watching TV and the better soln is to watch less television and be more productive (as in my case). It's working bit by bit though for me (the muscle atrophy seems to have slowed), so perhaps you'll benefit from this whole thing.

Last edited by Raspewtin : 08-31-2003 at 10:47 PM.
Raspewtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 11:21 AM   #122
macmedic
Mac Geek

Second TiVo for Wife...

The only problem I have now that we bought a second TiVo is that I'm stuck in the bedroom watching my shows!!!
Yes I have HMO but it doesn't help when hers is FULL of KUID shows.

To add insult to injury she has also claimed ownership of MY MX-700!

I guess that's the price you pay when you have a tech-savy wife...
macmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 11:32 AM   #123
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Then make her upgrade hers so it doesn't fill as easily. And make sure she's using basic quality for shows where that makes sense (talk shows, etc.)
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 10:44 PM   #124
Dajad

Suggestion 1: Get her to read this thread and then talk about it like adults!

Suggestion 2: Take the total amount of time you TiVo records ... agree that she can use 50% of that time for whatever she wants and nothing more ... if she uses 50% of the space, you have a right to delete the bottom shows in Now Playing until her used space is back to 50%.

Suggestion 3. Go back to Suggestion 1 and follow it over and over until this is worked out! The most basic skill of any relationship is communication! Great communication takes plenty of practice. It sounds like the you are going to get lots of practice on this topic!

...Dale

P.S. Suggestion 4: If all of the above fail ... ask for a TiVo (for your own personal use) for your next birthday present ... in other words, let her pay for the second TiVo it if she's not willing to be reasonable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<- Get the gifts you REALLY want! (now in public beta) -

Dajad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 08:39 AM   #125
timckelley
TCFer

Well, I suppose I should update my status. I still think I'll get a 2nd TiVo but haven't gotten around to it. For the last couple of months, I haven't had much of a problem, because my wife has finally deleted a lot of her stuff! But the way she did this is by offloading to VCR, rather than to watch it. She buys VHS tapes like crazy these days, and it's starting to take up a lot of room in our TV room. The good news, is the TiVo has lots of space on it now.

But as we speak, the new season has just started, and many, many of our season passes are about to commence finding and recording new shows. The next month will be definitely be a good test of our TiVo watching strategy/ability. Wish us luck!

For the last few months, I suppose I haven't been terribly bothered by the prospect of losing shows because the TV season was in it's dormant state. But now that September is here, I'll be ticked if one of my shows doesn't get recorded.

As usual, I have no backlog... i.e., there are no shows of mine on the Now Playing that I haven't already watched. I do a lot of late night TiVo watching as my wife sleeps, and so I do a good job of keeping up with it.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc

Last edited by timckelley : 10-20-2005 at 04:47 PM.
timckelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 10:29 AM   #126
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

You need another one.

And you probably need at least one of them to be upgraded to 100+ hours.
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 10:53 AM   #127
timckelley
TCFer

3 Tivos? Out of curiosity, I wonder if there's any 2 person households out there with 3 Tivos.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 09-12-2003, 01:49 PM   #128
LiveBlues
Master Blaster

It's just me and my wife at home and we have 4.
LiveBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 02:24 PM   #129
Mchero
Almost old member

Quote:
Gosh, I'd hate to shell out for a second TiVO,
Just got an email from Tivo, They are dropping the price thru December!

http://www.tivo.com/2.0.asp

2 HD Tivo's with Comcast cable cards.
Sony Wega 50" LCD
Mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 11:11 AM   #130
timckelley
TCFer

Oh no!!! I thought we had it under control. My wife had totally caught up and emptied Now Playing. Now she's gone mad and recorded every Xmas special (including cooking shows that cook Xmas dishes) she could get her hands on, and now Suggestions = 0! Much of our Now Playing is 'Keep Until I Delete', but not all, thankfully. She says she's going to make an effort to clean out this stuff, but I worry that the To Do List may add new Xmas stuff as fast as she can clear it out. Am I doomed?

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 12-15-2003, 11:30 AM   #131
allan
I survived the Mayan

Quote:
Am I doomed?
Yes!

BEEP
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 03:08 PM   #132
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
Hey, it's Xmas time... time to buy her a TiVo of her own. Maybe even the Pioneer so she can record and burn stuff to DVD. You could leave it with TiVo Basic and use non-recording Wishlists on your other TiVo to alert you to things to manually record on the Pioneer.

Come join us October 5-12, 2014!
martinp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 03:46 PM   #133
djbrown

Quote:
Am I doomed?
Tell her you are Jewish and the Christmas programming offends you.
djbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 04:49 PM   #134
machem

Have you bought another one yet! Isn't it worth $300 not to have this hanging over your head? We broke down and bought one (our first) this weekend, and even though we can't afford it (like anything else), we did it, and we're excited.

It is true I just sat down and read this whole thread, but I have to say that if it has been going on for this long, and you are still stressed about it, the additional time you will add to your life by not being stressed will be well worth it.
machem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 06:19 PM   #135
JYoung
Series 3

You're still dealing with this????

It's been six months!!!!

The way I look at this, here are your choices:
  1. Get another TiVo.
  2. Upgrade your current one.
  3. See a marriage counselor as you and your wife have communication issues.
  4. File for divorce and sue for custody of the TiVo.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 08:10 PM   #136
BadTVAddict

Lightbulb Give her the gift of TIME!

Not more Tivo time, but more time to watch it!

Reading the comments, it's so obvious how male dominated this forum is. Why is your wife so far behind? And why are you so caught up? Perhaps if you could take care of some of the kid duties, or even maybe clean up a bit and give her say an hour or two a day to catch up on her Tivo, then this issue would magically evaporate.

And you might even discover that since she's less stressed AND you're helping out, she might be much nicer person to live with and there might be some additional rewards for you.

Just a female perspective.
BadTVAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 09:09 AM   #137
timckelley
TCFer

Re: Give her the gift of TIME!

Quote:
Originally posted by BadTVAddict
Not more Tivo time, but more time to watch it!

Reading the comments, it's so obvious how male dominated this forum is. Why is your wife so far behind? And why are you so caught up? Perhaps if you could take care of some of the kid duties, or even maybe clean up a bit and give her say an hour or two a day to catch up on her Tivo, then this issue would magically evaporate.
That's not the case here. Just about all the time I spend at home during the day (when I'm not at work) is either playing with my son or doing housework. (Since he's only 4 and autistic, it's best that we not let him play by himself for too long.) The only time I get to watch TV is late at night after everybody's asleep. Sometimes I even wake up at 3:00 am, watch TiVo for an hour or two, then go back to sleep. My wife doesn't have a job, and the main times she gets to watch TiVo are while my son is in school, or for the couple of hours or so in the evening starting with my son's bath time (I give him his bath, and continue to play with him until bedtime).

Now admittedly, while my son is in school, my wife is mostly cleaning the house - that's part of the problem of her lack of time. Howver, a *big* problem is that her list of SPs is way, way bigger than mine.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 12-16-2003, 09:20 AM   #138
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally posted by JYoung
You're still dealing with this????

It's been six months!!!!

Here's why it's drug on for so long. My wife finally get aggressive and over time I saw Now Playing shrinking and shrinking. At one point, it actually became empty. For quite awhile, our available unused space was quite large. So it appeared everything was under control. We also had been buying and/or wanting to buy several other items, so an upgrade was never high on the priority list for the last 6 months. It's just in the last couple of weeks our space has gotten dangerously low, and for the last few days, we've actually hit the end: i.e., all space is used up.

Now, I feel kind of sorry for her because she's being impacted by this more than I, because after our talk a half a year ago, she seems to realize the importance of not making everything KUID. We still have a lot of KUID, but there's also a certain amount of KU <date> and KUSN. She's living right on the edge right now, because for the last couple of days, she's been deleting/watching at exactly the same pace as the To Do List has been been recording new stuff. She's in imminent danger of having her shows deleted. I'm staying on top of my stuff, and there is absolutely none of my shows sitting there because I try to watch them very quickly after they record. The good news is that TiVO will delete the oldest stuff first, so as long as I watch my stuff within a couple of days after recording, I'm fine - I won't lose anything. But my wife has a lot of old stuff on Now Playing... so this means that she is the one at risk of losing shows. This is why I feel sorry for her. We're starting to talk about upgrading again, but she wants to make it past Xmas season first because of all our Xmas expenses we're incurring at the moment.

Last night I just watched a one hour show of mine and deleted, and as an extra help, I deleted one episode of SouthPark from the To Do list, because it's an episode I've already seen.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 12-16-2003, 09:26 AM   #139
Marco
Yes, Mr. Tony

Re: Give her the gift of TIME!

Quote:
Originally posted by BadTVAddict
Why is your wife so far behind? And why are you so caught up? Perhaps if you could take care of some of the kid duties, or even maybe clean up a bit and give her say an hour or two a day to catch up on her Tivo, then this issue would magically evaporate.

And you might even discover that since she's less stressed AND you're helping out, she might be much nicer person to live with and there might be some additional rewards for you.
Wow. Just like the 'what the neighbor said to my wife' thread in Happy Hour. It is amazing what people will presume to know about a stranger, and the advice they will proffer, completely unasked.

Like I said in that thread, I suspect the speaker is projecting her own issues.
Old 12-16-2003, 01:28 PM   #140
JYoung
Series 3

I'm sorry, Tim.
I didn't realize that your son is autistic so that does put a slightly different spin on your wife's behavior. I see more as to why she is saving shows for your son.
So strike option 3 for now. Number 4 was only made in jest anyways......

"I aim to misbehave"
Old 12-16-2003, 02:02 PM   #141
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally posted by JYoung
I'm sorry, Tim.
I didn't realize that your son is autistic so that does put a slightly different spin on your wife's behavior. I see more as to why she is saving shows for your son.
Well, actually I really never saw the need for her saving shows for him - certainly not in the quantity she's done. Because by the time he's old enough to appreciate them, I'm sure there'll be other shows on he can watch. Anyway, currently the shows she's TiVoing aren't for him, they're for herself. This collecting of shows seems to be a compulsive hobby of hers, and she's already come right out and proclaimed that she's addicted to TiVo. Oh well, there are lots of more expensive hobbies than collecting shows.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 12-16-2003, 05:14 PM   #142
TivoFan

Quote:
Originally posted by dgh
Have you tried running the math by her? ie time to catch up = hours recorded / (average hours available to watch TV each night - average hours of "important" stuff TiVo records each night). Is the denominator even positive?
Quote:
Originally posted by stevel
I take it you're not married, if you are offering such a suggestion seriously.
That's the best laugh I've had all day.
Quote:
Originally posted by steuert
If you must humor her
I'm guessing you're not married.

Taking the above into account, I'm going to make some stupid suggestions.

You're wife is a packrat. The fact is that there is more tv out there than she can ever watch. She's got to face up to that. Once you do though, you'll find that instead of 1000 hours of good tv, you can narrow it down to 20 hours of excellent tv.

Seriously, if you have all those tapes of old movies, I suspect that she is not watching them. They replay those old movies all the time. Why not suggest that she wait to record any more of them until she runs low on some of the ones that she has taped? She can always record them next month or the month after. If she is serious about watching them, then this will work. If, as I suspect, she isn't then she'll end up not watching the tapes and you won't have to worry about her recording any more of em. And it would force her to a core realization.... there's no point recording a show you never get around to watching. (P.S. is she planning a month long sabbatical in the near future when she will have a lot more time to watch tv than she does now? If she can't watch everything she has now, it's doubtful she'll ever have more time in the future.)

The other option is to get her to agree to some form of a budget. Figure out how many hours you guys have available on your Tivo and divide it between the two of you. If she goes over that number of hours, then she needs to delete some shows. If she can't agree to this, then she's got to admit that she's not being fair to you.

Last edited by TivoFan : 12-16-2003 at 05:41 PM.
TivoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 09:57 AM   #143
Dadorama

What a thread!

Listen, after reading through this WHOLE thread, I feel like we need to see a picture of you folks, or have your address to send you a Christmas Card or SOMETHING.

I feel like myself, and everyone around me has been cleansed through a form of group therapy.

I feel strangely like going out and buying another Tivo....

Merry Christmas everyone. And lets none of us take ourselves or our lives too awful serious! When problems like this are our most pressing, we are indeed truly blessed.

Agreed?

Dadorama
Dadorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 03:36 PM   #144
JustAllie
Number crunchin'

After reading the whole thread, I'm thinking your wife should buy you a new TiVo.

Of course that's not going to happen, so save up and buy one for yourself. Put a big sign on it saying "Tim's TiVo - do not touch!" Make sure you don't record anything on her TiVo -- that would only give her ammunition to claim space on your TiVo.

If you record anything on your TiVo that you both like to watch, fine -- but if you've watched it and she hasn't, you have every right to delete it with no notice. After all, it's on YOUR TiVo.

I used to be a VHS packrat like your wife, but there's little harm in letting her horde VHS tapes. Unless of course they pile up too much and become a health hazard.

After I owned a TiVo (actually two TiVos) for a while, I realized that my VHS collection was taking up a lot of space and wasn't getting watched anymore, so I gave the tapes away. I feel so free now.
JustAllie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 04:43 PM   #145
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally posted by JustAllie
I used to be a VHS packrat like your wife, but there's little harm in letting her horde VHS tapes. Unless of course they pile up too much and become a health hazard.

After I owned a TiVo (actually two TiVos) for a while, I realized that my VHS collection was taking up a lot of space and wasn't getting watched anymore, so I gave the tapes away. I feel so free now.

The funny thing is, that not only does she periodically buy new blank tapes, but once in awhile, I come home to find she's bought a new bookshelf for me to put together. After all, something has to hold these tapes.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc
Old 12-18-2003, 03:38 PM   #146
JustAllie
Number crunchin'

Quote:
The funny thing is, that not only does she periodically buy new blank tapes, but once in awhile, I come home to find she's bought a new bookshelf for me to put together. After all, something has to hold these tapes.
I used to have two bookcases totally devoted to videotapes, plus about 8 boxes stacked up in a corner (photocopy paper boxes, to give you an idea of size). To be honest, I still have one bookcase with the videotapes I couldn't quite part with. The boxes, however, are gone -- given away, sold, donated to charity auctions, and a few were even destroyed by water in a hurricane.

Moving three times in two years cured me of the desire to haul around so many videotapes. That and the joy of TiVo -- especially after I upgraded both of my TiVos to ~130 hours each.

You should move to a new home every six months. This will eventually break your wife of her packrat habits.
JustAllie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 11:47 AM   #147
timckelley
TCFer

Well, despite what I've said earlier in the thread, for the last few months (during which my wife had her Now Playing under control), I've been considering saving money by upgrading instead of getting a second TiVo. But things have changed since then.

1. Last week, I went to look at my weekly episode of Good Morning Miami. It wasn't there! I checked recording history, and it was 'deleted: not recorded due a SP conflict. A higher priority show recorded instead'. So I checked - how could this be? Good Morning Miami has a rather high priority. It turns out that Scooby Doo Christmas special recorded in it's place. My wife must have scheduled it, and when it asked 'Okay to *not* record Good Morning Miami?', she said yes, knowing full well it was one of our important SPs. So I confronted her, and she admitted doing the deed and knowing what she was doing when she did it. She had decided that she wanted that Xmas special

Upgrading the TiVo won't fix this problem. Buying a second TiVo will.

2. Sometimes I have trouble scheduling a recording, because her To Do List is so prodigious, and takes up a lot of the 24-clock (sometimes). One time I wanted to record a movie, and luckily there were 6 scheduled showings coming up. 1-5 all had conflicts with her To Do List! Luckily, the 6th showing was free, so I snagged it. But there are other times when a movie doesn't repeat so often, which puts me SOL.

Again, upgrading the TiVo won't fix this problem. Buying a second TiVo will.

3. As a fringe benefit of two TiVos, we can each customize our thumbs ratings to reflect ourselves. Having my own TiVo will give me better suggestions.

Conclusion: we need a second TiVo. Have any of you made this wise recommendation to me as a way to solve my problems? I just need to wait until Xmas expenses die down before buying one. I'm considering buying a series one, and starting out with no service, just to get started, and I can at least move some of my SPs to it as manual recordings. Then hopefully, I'll eventually add service to it.

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc

Last edited by timckelley : 09-15-2006 at 02:08 PM.
Old 12-22-2003, 02:10 PM   #148
Mekong

Series 2 home media

This is a very long post, so maybe I missed it, but it seems no one is addressing home media option. I don't have a series 2, but can't he dump some of that stuff to his computer with home media option??
Mekong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 02:25 PM   #149
JYoung
Series 3

Better get it before January 14, otherwise your wife may delete Enterprise from the To Do list....

(On the other hand, she may be doing you a favor...... )

"I aim to misbehave"
Old 12-22-2003, 03:24 PM   #150
timckelley
TCFer

Re: Series 2 home media

Quote:
Originally posted by Mekong
This is a very long post, so maybe I missed it, but it seems no one is addressing home media option. I don't have a series 2, but can't he dump some of that stuff to his computer with home media option??
No, I don't think home media option has been addressed in this post. Are you saying with home media option, I could do some sort of mass/batch archive of my Now Playing to a computer hard disk? But then how could I later get it from hard drive to VCR?

- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc