TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-12-2003, 10:30 PM   #31
mjh
Re: Member

Re: Modem picks up incoming calls

Quote:
Originally posted by milehighmg
Whenever a call comes in the modem answers and starts issuing the handshake hiss. Is there a way to disable it?
Well, I don't know about this specific US Robotics, but on my USR 28.8, there's a set of dip switches on it. If I turn ON dip switch 5, it disables Auto Answer. If you don't have dip switches, connect it to your computer via a normal straight serial cable then do:

ATS0=0
AT&W

The first one will tell it to answer in 0 rings (i.e. disable auto answer). The second one will write this configuration to NVRAM so that it always boots with this configuration.
08/05-05/06:HDVR2,146h,RIP
12/03-08/05:HDVR2,105h
04/03-11/03:HDVR2,35h
12/02-04/03:S2SA,40h,lifetime
mjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 11:13 PM   #32
mjh

Re: Re: Using DirecTivo over Vonage (VoIP) - a solution

Quote:
Originally posted by tivobernd
You are cross connecting 6 with 20 in the description but it's 6 and 19 in the picture... Which is right?
In the picture that I see, it's crossing 6 with 20. Which is what I did.

By doing this, you're basically having the modem override hardware flow control because it's always telling itself that it's ready to send data and it's always telling itself that it's ready to receive data.
Old 11-12-2003, 11:16 PM   #33
mjh

Quote:
Originally posted by Consigliere
Please elaborate as to how to go about programing the modem (and reset it when I mess things up) with the above codes. If I wanted to program the modem to work at 9600 bps what codes would I use (the theory being slow and sure is better than fast and undependable)? Also, is there a table of these codes? Many thanks!
Well, this is what I'm using. It's for a USR 33.6 and it works on my USR 28.8. But almost every modem manufacturer has slightly different command strings. I'd try and find a manual online for the make/model number of the modem that you have.

Anyway here's the link for the manual that I'm using for my modem.
Old 11-15-2003, 10:11 PM   #34
thynk

Note Thanks!

Red and all who have followed up - THANKS for the info. I just made the cable, but skipped the RJ45 to DB25 since all we had laying around at work were some DB25 shells and the only "extra" cable I had was some cat3. My cable is a bit longer (~10') since I want everything hidden behind the entertainment center (like the rest of the cables, hubs, lost kittens, small children, etc).

The tests I ran with the external modem connected me about 50% of the time to an ISP, at rates from 14.4-19.2 This struck me as a little odd since the 33.6 PCMCIA modem connected consistantly at 28.8 to 31.3 Maybe I need to blow some more dust off the external modem, or find the AT commands to set it to 14.4 and not worry about it.

The installer is coming on Monday - it will be interesting to see what his/her/it's reaction is. Things haven't gone well with them on the phone so far, since they tried to get me to buy a multiswitch, after DTv and Expert Sat. both told me that I didn't need one. (3lnb dish, 3 inputs needed) They also have issues with the fact that I only have one phone jack in the house for Vonage. Saying that they couldn't hook it up unless there was a jack in both rooms the recievers were going into.

Has anyone tried plugging the Vonage output into an existing phone jack and trying a phone on a different extention?
Hard as I try, I can't think of why this wouldn't work, the electrons don't know it's hooked up in reverse. If this works (I'm gonna try when I get home from work tommorow) - I'll post a follow up here and on the Vonage board.

Hopefully this will go as smoothly as the other installs I've had go. "Go outside and run the cables, I'll hook everything up in here while you work on that". Most of the install techs think this is cool, but every so often I run across one that has to assume that all customers don't know how to program a remote, or even know what end of the soldering iron gets hot.

Wish me luck. This will be my first TiVo or Direct TV experience. I'm really glad that I found this thread and did as much reasearch as I did before ordering anything.
thynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 11:00 PM   #35
tivobernd

Re: Thanks!

Quote:
Originally posted by thynk
Has anyone tried plugging the Vonage output into an existing phone jack and trying a phone on a different extention? Hard as I try, I can't think of why this wouldn't work, the electrons don't know it's hooked up in reverse. If this works (I'm gonna try when I get home from work tommorow) - I'll post a follow up here and on the Vonage board.
[/b]
This will work - but make absolutely sure that your in house wiring is physically disconnected from your old POTS (Phone line from the Phone Company) otherwise there is a good chance that you will fry your ATA...
Old 11-15-2003, 11:29 PM   #36
thynk

Re: Re: Thanks!

Quote:
Originally posted by tivobernd
This will work - but make absolutely sure that your in house wiring is physically disconnected from your old POTS (Phone line from the Phone Company) otherwise there is a good chance that you will fry your ATA...
Thanks for the heads up, since there is no signal coming from the POTS I was going to leave it hooked up for the test. I'll be sure to bring my wire cutters home with me, or maybe they were nice and left a junction box unlocked and I can just unhook me from the system.
Old 11-16-2003, 12:04 AM   #37
wilsonc

Re: Re: Re: Thanks!

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up, since there is no signal coming from the POTS I was going to leave it hooked up for the test. I'll be sure to bring my wire cutters home with me, or maybe they were nice and left a junction box unlocked and I can just unhook me from the system.
You should have access to your portion of the junction box, the part will read Customer Access Panel. It is in there, you can disconnect the telco wiring from your home wiring.
wilsonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 02:18 PM   #38
BerrBrewer

I wouldn't trust disconnecting your house from the customer panel outside. It will disconnect you, but you're the only one that knows WHY it's not connected.

You're better off disconnecting the first box inside the house "loop" and capping the wires. Then you can light up the whole house with one connection to your ATA device. My house is home-run to a closet, so it was easy to disconnect from the street but I was paranoid some technician would reconnect me and smoke the ATA.

BTW, loving Vonage and am about to try the external modem trick described here. My modem is a 9 pin though so it's back to RS... Thanks for thread!
BerrBrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 05:51 PM   #39
thynk

Re: Thanks!

Quote:
[b]Red and all who have followed up - THANKS for the info. I just made the cable, but skipped the RJ45 to DB25 since all we had laying around at work were some DB25 shells and the only "extra" cable I had was some cat3. My cable is a bit longer (~10') since I want everything hidden behind the entertainment center (like the rest of the cables, hubs, lost kittens, small children, etc).

The tests I ran with the external modem connected me about 50% of the time to an ISP, at rates from 14.4-19.2 This struck me as a little odd since the 33.6 PCMCIA modem connected consistantly at 28.8 to 31.3 Maybe I need to blow some more dust off the external modem, or find the AT commands to set it to 14.4 and not worry about it.

The installer is coming on Monday - it will be interesting to see what his/her/it's reaction is. Things haven't gone well with them on the phone so far, since they tried to get me to buy a multiswitch, after DTv and Expert Sat. both told me that I didn't need one. (3lnb dish, 3 inputs needed) They also have issues with the fact that I only have one phone jack in the house for Vonage. Saying that they couldn't hook it up unless there was a jack in both rooms the recievers were going into.

Wish me luck. This will be my first TiVo or Direct TV experience. I'm really glad that I found this thread and did as much reasearch as I did before ordering anything.
WELL - that didn't work. After running several tests on the external modem via the laptop and connected about 90% of the time after lowering the speed down to 19k - the TiVo won't even talk to the modem. I see some activity on several of the front panel lights, then the rx/tx flash together quickly twice - then DirectTivo claims the modem isn't responding.

I've tried reloading the profile that I saved last night, power cycling the modem and finally set everything back to factory defaults. I'll pull out the custom cable and double check it, but every pin was checked before I brought it home. I have noticed that the responce to the AT commands are not "OK" but rather a "0" - I wonder if the TiVo is looking for that?

Suggestions, clues, hints, strong cup of coffee?
Old 11-17-2003, 11:40 PM   #40
mjh

Re: Re: Thanks!

Quote:
the TiVo won't even talk to the modem. I see some activity on several of the front panel lights, then the rx/tx flash together quickly twice - then DirectTivo claims the modem isn't responding.
I had similar problems. I made my 1/8 inch to DB25 cable using an old pair of headphones. And I could not get any continuity through the headphones. So I went to ratshack and bought this. I then used a piece of Cat5 crimped with an RJ45 connector on one end and nothing on the other. I wired the open end of the Cat5 to the 1/8" jack and then plugged the RJ45 into an RJ45->DB25 converter (just like this one except male).

I could not get any continuity using the jack from the old pair of headphones, hence the TiVo couldn't talk to the modem. Once I used cable that I knew had continuity and a 1/8" connector that I knew had continuity everything worked much better.
Old 11-18-2003, 12:20 AM   #41
thynk

Re: Re: Re: Thanks!

Quote:
Originally posted by mjh
I had similar problems. I made my 1/8 inch to DB25 cable using an old pair of headphones. And I could not get any continuity through the headphones. So I went to ratshack and bought I then used a piece of Cat5 crimped with an RJ45 connector on one end and nothing on the other. I wired the open end of the Cat5 to the 1/8" jack and then plugged the RJ45 into an RJ45->DB25 converter (just like except male).

I could not get any continuity using the jack from the old pair of headphones, hence the TiVo couldn't talk to the modem. Once I used cable that I knew had continuity and a 1/8" connector that I knew had continuity everything worked much better.
Thanks for the response! I think the cable is ok - checked every pin several times both when I made it and again tonight. The problem was I thought I was being smart when I started playing around with the AT commands last night. I still don't have it all the way going, but have gotten to "negotiating..." a few times - in fact it's locked up there three times now. Looks like maybe it's time to look for a different modem - either a slower one so I don't have to worry about the speed issues, or a newer one that has documentation... somewhere.

This one is driving me nuts - the AT commands for speed don't work, so it's probably set in a register someplace - and I can't google it out of the net. Wonder if the thrift store still has one (the same I was I laughing at last time we were there ;-)
Old 11-18-2003, 10:56 PM   #42
babino

Question Re: Re: Re: Thanks!

Hello All! Thanks so far to everyone for the help to get DTIVO working over vonage. I'm getting closer, but have a stumbling block impeding my succession.

I went to ratshack at bought the RJ45/DB25 converter (see link from quoted post), but am having a tough time deciding which cables in the converter are which. The converter comes with 8 wires attached inside to the RJ45 plug portion of the device which in turn you are supposed to plug into the corresponding holes in the serial plug. How do I know which wires are which? The wires are color coded, but there is no indication anywhere which number they are, i.e. Red #1, Yellow #2, etc... to number 8.

They are ordered like this if you look into the plug with the RJ45 connector wires on top:

X X X X.
.X X X X

.|||||||.

Gray Yellow Red Orange
Brown Green Black Blue

Would it be:

Gray=1
Yellow=2
Red=3
Orange=4
Brown=5
Green=6
Black=7
Blue=8

I believe I have a handle on the RJ45 to the Stereo plug, but the serial connection is giving me grief. Thanks for any help/advice that someone is willing to give!

Regards,

Babino

Quote:
Originally posted by mjh
I had similar problems. I made my 1/8 inch to DB25 cable using an old pair of headphones. And I could not get any continuity through the headphones. So I went to ratshack and bought radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F011%5 F003%5F001%5F004&product%5Fid=274%2D284. I then used a piece of Cat5 crimped with an RJ45 connector on one end and nothing on the other. I wired the open end of the Cat5 to the 1/8" jack and then plugged the RJ45 into an RJ45->DB25 converter (just like radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=276-1406 this one except male).

babino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 11:17 PM   #43
mjh

Re: Re: Re: Re: Thanks!

Quote:
Originally posted by babino

X X X X.
.X X X X

.|||||||.

Gray Yellow Red Orange
Brown Green Black Blue
If I understand how you're holding the connector, it should be:

Gray=8
Brown=7
Yellow=6
Green=5
Red=4
Black=3
Orange=2
Blue=1

If, as you look into the serial connector case, the RJ45 pins are on top, and the blue wire is all the way to the right and the gray wire is all the way to the left, then the above should be correct. The only other possibility is:

Gray=1
Brown=2
Yellow=3
Green=4
Red=5
Black=6
Orange=7
Blue=8

Try it both ways and see what works.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:31 PM   #44
babino

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Thanks!

Thanks for the speedy reply! I'll have to try tomorrow when I can buy a new plug from the shack. I'll post my results.

Once you put the pins in, they are virtually impossible to remove them since they lock into the holes; unless someone knows how to get them out. I've tried to pull them out and push from the outside, no luck.

Quote:
Originally posted by mjh
If I understand how you're holding the connector, it should be:

Gray=8
Brown=7
Yellow=6
Green=5
Red=4
Black=3
Orange=2
Blue=1

If, as you look into the serial connector case, the RJ45 pins are on top, and the blue wire is all the way to the right and the gray wire is all the way to the left, then the above should be correct. The only other possibility is:

Gray=1
Brown=2
Yellow=3
Green=4
Red=5
Black=6
Orange=7
Blue=8

Try it both ways and see what works.

babino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 11:42 PM   #45
cactus46

Thanks to all who have created the path for DTiVos and Vonage calls. My approach was to set up my second-hand USR 33.6 Sportster FaxModem on my series 1 stand alone TiVo since my DirecTiVo service would be installed the next day.
Using the serial cable supplied with the series 1 standalone and a DB9 to DB25 adapter to connect to the USR, setting the dip switches in the back and the appropriate 'AT' codes made the manual jumpers unnecessary. However, my Sportster did not like the 'AT&H0' nor the 'AT&I0' codes. But the rest of the commands and the switch setting in the back give a reliable connection. [For those with series 1 standalones, this modem approach is a good way to go and is not too difficult to implement for defective modems.] This worked like a champ on my series 1 even though the internal modem works fine.
My DirecTV was installed the next day but my modem didn't work on the new HDVR2. So I took my HDVR2 to a friends house with a regular phone line and did the long, almost an hour, download, reset and a shorter download. Then taking the unit home and reconnecting the modem, forcing a daily call, The HDVR2 worked with the modem and has been working for several days now.
cactus46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 08:34 PM   #46
Lenco

Re: Thank you for the info!

Quote:
Originally posted by milehighmg
I just tried your solution and got everything to work. Great Post! By the way for any one interested this solution works with the Phillips DSR7000.
I have the DSR7000 as well.
Which solution did you use? External modem or just the dialing prefix?

BTW - What does the /17 ean after the model number?

-Lenco-
Lenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 11:36 AM   #47
mjh

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Thanks!

Quote:
Originally posted by babino
Once you put the pins in, they are virtually impossible to remove them since they lock into the holes; unless someone knows how to get them out. I've tried to pull them out and push from the outside, no luck.
There is a specific tool that you can get that lets you unlock them so that they can be pulled out. But I've found that if you take a needle nose pliers and use it to gently grip the pin from the outside, you can (again gently) twist and push the pins and they'll release. It's a little crude but it works.
Old 11-21-2003, 01:41 PM   #48
bonscott87
Done.

Is there anybody like 9th tee selling kits of these premade? I have no skills to make my own cables but might be willing to buy such a kit.

(2) DirecTivo's (R10, HDVR2), HR20, H21, Fortec Mercury II FTA receiver (Glorystar system)

HR20 help found at http://www.dbstalk.com
bonscott87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 11:41 PM   #49
cactus46

You can buy a serial cable from the TiVo Store: https://store.tivo.com/main.aspx on the page 2 of the accessories you can find a serial cable, and a DB9 to DB25 Adapter at http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...ct%5Fid=26-209 - DB25 male/DB9 female. Then if you use a US Robotics 28.8, or 33.6 external modem, you can use the appropriate 'AT' codes and switch setting to replace the hardwiring if you would prefer not to use a soldering iron.

I can give you the dip switch settings and the 'AT' codes that I used with my 33.6 USR Sportster FaxModem and I modified no cables. My HDVR2 works great with Vonage.

John

Last edited by cactus46 : 11-22-2003 at 12:20 PM.
Old 11-28-2003, 01:52 PM   #50
gtrogue
Mentally Hilarious

I've tried everything to get my Hughes Series 1 DirecTivo to connect but I keep getting "couldn't connect" messages or sometimes (mostly) the thing hangs at "negotiating". I let it go once and the Tivo was at "negotiating" for hours after the ATA had hung up the connection. I had to pull the plug on the Tivo to recover. Anybody have any ideas? Is there a way to force the internal modem to an even slower speed?
Old 11-28-2003, 10:04 PM   #51
cactus46

gtrogue,

Are you using the internal modem in your DirecTivo? If so, does your modem work on a normal phone line? If it is an external, can you tell us what brand/model modem you are using? Does it have DIP switches? What set up string did you use? Are you using the modified serial cable or the stock TiVo serial cable?

What setup string are you using for the phone in the DirecTiVo? On the Vonage web page what setting are you using for the Bandwidth Saver found on the 'Features' page?

We need a little more information to answer your question, imo.

Good luck.

John in Phoenix
Old 11-29-2003, 11:01 AM   #52
gtrogue
Mentally Hilarious

I use the highest quality bandwidth setting. I am using the internal modems of my GXEBOT and DSR6000 with the ,#019 dialing prefix. They both have no problem connecting via my POTS line.

I think I'm going to install TurboNet or AirNet and not worry about the dialup. I don't order any PPV so the DirecTV part is no problem.
Old 11-29-2003, 05:28 PM   #53
cactus46

gtrogue,

You may want to look at this thread: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...19#post1542368

I have no experience with the DSR6000 but the TurboNet worked great on my SA 1 and Vonage does, too with the internal or external modem. Another consideration with Vonage is the quality of your ISP service. Even my HDVR2 works well with Vonage and an external modem.

John in Phoenix
Old 11-29-2003, 05:35 PM   #54
MD_TIVO
Almost a Member

Seems like a lot of hoops to jump through in order to use Vonage. What are the advantages of Vonage versus the disadvanges including increased hardware costs and questionable reliability?

I've looked into using Vonage, but so far I don't see the real advantage.
MD_TIVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 12:02 AM   #55
gtrogue
Mentally Hilarious

MD_TIVO, A basic phone line in my area cost $33/month once taxes and fees are added. That fee doesn't include voicemail, caller id, or any other features, just the phone line. Vonage costs around $27/month total and includes 500 minutes of long distance, caller id, call waiting, voicemail, and much more.
Old 11-30-2003, 11:18 AM   #56
MD_TIVO
Almost a Member

That makes sense. I pay Verizon around $37, which includes caller id, call waiting, and call forwarding. I would switch to the cheaper Vonage if I could easily wire up all the phones in my house, including the directivo.
MD_TIVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 11:59 AM   #57
aristoBrat

Quote:
$14.99/month Vonage Basic 500 Plan.
500 minutes of US nationwide long distance, local, regional, plus calls to Canada every month. Only 3.9˘ per minute after the first 500 monthly minutes

All plans come with:
FREE Voicemail
FREE Caller ID with Name
FREE Call Waiting
FREE Call Forwarding
FREE Call Transfer
FREE Three Way Calling
Free Calling to Vonage Users
Any area code of your choice Keep your current number
Virtual Phone Numbers
Toll Free Plus
Great International Rates
Int'l Fees to Canada Waived!
Money-Back guarantee
We're super light landline users, so we just signed up for this plan. It beats the pants off of Cox's $45/month bundle.

I'll deal with the DTiVo "not phoning home" daily nag message until DTV releases 4.0, which can "home home" over broadband -- although I'll have to take my DTiVos somewhere with a real phone line for them to get the update.
aristoBrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 12:06 PM   #58
mjh

Quote:
Originally posted by aristoBrat
I'll deal with the DTiVo "not phoning home" daily nag message until DTV releases 4.0, which can "home home" over broadband -- although I'll have to take my DTiVos somewhere with a real phone line for them to get the update.
That's certainly a reasonable strategy. I wanted to get my DTiVo working over vonage for a number of reasons:[list=1][*]The nag screen was much more annoying than I anticipated it being. After the first month, it came up once weekly. Then about two weeks later, it started coming up once daily.[*]I wanted to get the 3.1.1b upgrade to fix the sound problems - yeah I coulda taken it to a friends house, but I didn't know how long it would take to complete the download.[*]I like that I can vote with my thumbs up/down on what I think is a quality show. I like that I can send my opinions to advertisers by watching interesting commercials and skipping boring ones. Believe it or not, I like that there's some amount of data about my viewing that's uploaded when I make the daily call.[/list=1]
$.02
Old 12-02-2003, 07:46 AM   #59
BerrBrewer

Ok... I need a little help here getting my HDVR2 to connect.

I've been through the forum and tried to connect my BestData 56k V.90 modem with a home-built cable adapter (1/8" stereo plug, cat5 cable, DB25/RJ45 with pins 2/3/6 wired, 25->9 adapter). Cable tests out fine and I set the modem using the strings AT&R1, AT&S0, AT&W0. Command strings to force the slow speed (&N10, &U6) don't work and neither did AT&D0&H0&I0&R1&W0 (I think H0 & I0 fail). Dial prefix ,#319.

Problem is line never goes off hook during the call attempt and fails to negotiate. My question is do I *need* to do the hard-wired cross connects (6->20, 4->5) or can it work with modem settings only? Am I missing something or do I just need to go pick up an old 33k modem?
Old 12-10-2003, 09:22 AM   #60
BerrBrewer

Just a follow-up for the list.

After adding the jumpers in the DB25 (6->20 & 4->5) everything worked fine! My download over Vonage lasted about 25 minutes and completed sucessfully. For me, the hardware solution worked better than trying to flash the software register settings into the modem. Thanks to all those who came before... the nag screens were getting old!