TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-20-2003, 01:26 PM   #31
Bucket772

I just hope that the PVR's that the offer have the flexablity and features that the Tivo has. If its as cheesy as the on screen guide loaded with ads, then I will stick to the Tivo and the marginally effective IR Blasters.
Old 10-26-2003, 10:20 AM   #32
mojoTivo

Success!!!!!!!!!

I have to say, I'm shocked, but I now have serial control!

A couple of weeks ago I spoke with an engineer at Charter in NC. He said he'd look into it and call me back. Later that same day, I left town on business for two weeks. What I didn't know until five minutes ago (didn't get the message) is that he called back a day later to say he had turned it on.

On a lark, I tried serial control this morning and found that it worked. When I went screaming in to my spose to share the great news she told me the engineer had called the day after I left to say it worked. Sweet!

Bottom line, I have three DCT-2000 boxen in the house one connected to a Philips S1/SA and another connected to the Pioneer 810 (the third isn't hooked to a tivo at the moment). Both tivos can now control the box via serial. I have changed the setting from "IR Blaster" to "Serial" in each box, run the test, and received the message "Tivo was able to change the channel via serial control". I use the "GI" setting in each case (tried "Motorola" and it worked too). Still works with IR Blaster disconnected.

I'll call the engineer on Monday to thank him. I'll ask him if there is any data he would like to share that could help others get this working. If so, I'll post it here.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and comments. My new "dream" is that this is part of a trend toward enabling serial control, and not just an isolated incident of an excellent, highly-responsive Charter employee providing good service. It is undoubtely the latter, hopefully it is the former as well.

mojoTivo

P.S. Speed of channel change is the same when going directly to a specific channel, however, speed is now very fast when simply pressing the "Channel Up/Down" button. I'd suspect that channel up/down is a discreet serial code. Very cool!
Philips SA - 40h - Ethernet Upgraded
mojoTivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 12:49 PM   #33
cyex

FWIW, I have Comcast & Series 2 Tivo. Called Comcast to ak about the serial port--confused the life out of them.
Let it go for awhile but really hated the IR Blaster.
Then remembered how ignorant the installer had been and hooked up the serial. Redid setup and all has worked wonderfully since.
Hey mojoTivo--I also then went in triumph to my spouse--you didn't say--did your's actually give a crap at all? (My wife has many wonderful qualities, but the one made work hard not to yawn.)
cyex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 04:15 PM   #34
mojoTivo

Quote:
Originally posted by cyex
FWIW, I have Comcast & Series 2 Tivo. Called Comcast to ak about the serial port--confused the life out of them.
Let it go for awhile but really hated the IR Blaster.
Then remembered how ignorant the installer had been and hooked up the serial. Redid setup and all has worked wonderfully since.
Hey mojoTivo--I also then went in triumph to my spouse--you didn't say--did your's actually give a crap at all? (My wife has many wonderful qualities, but the one made work hard not to yawn.)
ROFL!!!!!!! I just went downstairs and read her your post. She's laughing now too. Our wives are similar in this regard, many wonderful qualities, and yet no consuming interest in A/V equipment. I can't imagine why...

mojoTivo
Philips SA - 40h - Ethernet Upgraded
mojoTivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 04:39 PM   #35
Mchero
Almost old member

CONGRATS MOJOTIVO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You should be nominated Tivo Forum member of the month!

It's people like you that help others! I commend you for sticking it out and giving it all you got! You did it!

I was reading the posts above from ;
Stromkie;
I hate to be another cynic here, but you don't really have a shot at making this happen. Here's why:
RAMBLE RAMBLE RAMBLE

Mbernste:
Your chances are less than zero, let me tell you why.
RAMBLE RAMBLE RAMBLE

Need I say more?

Congrats

2 HD Tivo's with Comcast cable cards.
Sony Wega 50" LCD
Mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 01:37 PM   #36
sibble-comp

Just wanted to let y'all know what I've come up with on this subject.

I am up here in Vancouver, BC, Canada with Shaw cable. I spent a good portion of the day on the phone trying to get serial port control of my DCT2000 working. After talking to Motorola Cable tech support and my provider, here is what has to happen to enable serial port control by the user:

1) your cableco has to send the "'app_if enable' command from their billing software" to your box (info from motorola)

2) cableco may have to reinintialize your dct2000 for this to work, the tech at Shaw enabled the feaure but it didn't work until he had rebooted my box. Once that was done all was okay.

Hope that helps folks.
sibble-comp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 04:52 PM   #37
Mchero
Almost old member

Quote:
Originally posted by sibble-comp
Hope that helps folks.

Thanks for the info!!

Sony Wega 50" LCD
Old 08-06-2004, 06:27 PM   #38
cabledude

Enabling serial port

Hey Guys,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the authorization of the serial port is not currently possible through Shaw cable.

I am Ron representative 0326 from Shaw.

At this time we have specific reasons in which we will not be implementing this feature. I can't get to specific with the details, all I can say is that it is not completely out of the realm of possibility that we would activate this at some point, but we are not at this time. If we do make it available, we will advertise it on shaw.ca.

So, there is no reason to call us to have this function activated.

Thanks

-CableDude-

Last edited by cabledude : 08-06-2004 at 06:54 PM.
cabledude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 04:38 PM   #39
Mchero
Almost old member

Re: Enabling serial port

Specific Reasons..... That's a new one. Thank god I have Comcast!

RM

Quote:
Originally posted by cabledude
Hey Guys,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the authorization of the serial port is not currently possible through Shaw cable.

At this time we have specific reasons in which we will not be implementing this feature. Thanks

-CableDude-

Sony Wega 50" LCD
Old 08-16-2004, 04:44 PM   #40
cd_mackenzie

Re: Enabling serial port

Hi Ron Representative 0326 from Shaw,

I would like your assistance in arranging for a full refund on my Shaw digital cable box. I purchased it in late May as a gift for my wife, and then before activating it, I spent some time getting it working with Snapstream's BeyondTV so that BeyondTV could change the channels using the serial cable. The idea was that we would use BeyondTV to record shows off the digital channels that my wife can't otherwise watch due to her shift work. I had it working. Having done my "due diligence" I then called to activate my cable box. Then it broke; the serial interface no longer worked. So, it is totally useless to us now. You can even check my account to see that we're not using it.. we haven't been able to use any of our free pay-per-view credits and our 3 months is almost up.

I do not want to purchase Shaw's PVR product. For one thing your product was WAY WAY too late on the market, and I already had an investment in my own Home Theatre PC. More importantly, it lacks some pretty big features that we need.

I have the potential to be a pretty lucrative customer for Shaw. I already have the full home package plus Xtreme internet. I could potentially be a customer for Shaw business internet services products. I would be a customer for your VOIP product, but again, you are WAY, WAY too late on that count, I have already signed up with Primus TalkBroadband.

So I am pretty confused why you think I am the enemy. Maybe you think I am going to try to hack my digital terminal through the serial port, as if that was even possible? The funny thing is that the port is active on unsubscribed terminals!

Let me know how I can follow up with you to get my $99 refund.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally posted by cabledude
Hey Guys,

At this time we have specific reasons in which we will not be implementing this feature. I can't get to specific with the details, all I can say is that it is not completely out of the realm of possibility that we would activate this at some point, but we are not at this time. If we do make it available, we will advertise it on shaw.ca.

So, there is no reason to call us to have this function activated.

Thanks

-CableDude-

cd_mackenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 02:13 PM   #41
PressureDrop

I am in the metro Atlanta area and have Comcast digital cable. I have spoken with the customer service department and they are going to send a request to both engineering and billing for the 'app_if enable' command and then reboot my boxes. I'll post an update if anything happens

-Zac-
PressureDrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 03:03 PM   #42
Mchero
Almost old member

Keep us posted Zac!

Quote:
Originally posted by PressureDrop
I am in the metro Atlanta area and have Comcast digital cable. I have spoken with the customer service department and they are going to send a request to both engineering and billing for the 'app_if enable' command and then reboot my boxes. I'll post an update if anything happens

-Zac-

Sony Wega 50" LCD
Old 09-22-2004, 09:54 PM   #43
drmike29

Zac,
Where's the update? Does it work?
drmike29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 09:01 PM   #44
Battery

bump
Battery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 10:40 PM   #45
xxxxxxx

I work for charter and I also have tried to get the serial port enabled. I have checked with the engineers in the headend. I was told that this was a feature on the dct but was never activated by motorola before shipping them out. We also have some dct's that have s-video ports that do not work for the same reason. I was told there was nothing they could do for me.
xxxxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 08:57 PM   #46
unixb0y

shawenablemyserialport.ca

Shaw customers can put in a "Voice of the Customer" request when contacting support.

I created a website called shawenablemyserialport.ca

Hopefully enough people will put in a "Voice of the Customer" request and shaw will enable the serial port.

In the meantime, subscribe to the blog feed and every couple of months, we can bombrd shaw with requests.
unixb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 12:44 PM   #47
kinematic

File a complaint to CRTC

After going through Shaw's tech support and discussing it with Motorola I've decided to file a complaint to the CRTC about Shaw and the serial port.

I'll post any results if I get any from them.
kinematic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 08:15 PM   #48
dmdeane
sedentary adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeyport
here's another factoid - If you have a serial port, AND Comcast found out about it, they'd deactivate your box saying it was needing an upgrade to a non-serial port box.

How fun is that.

Hope charter isn't THAT brain dead.
Odd. I just signed up for Comcast service last month, with digital cable box, the installer installed a Motorola digital cable box (I don't remember the exact model number, DCT 2000 or 2500; something like that) with serial port. I did a quick search on this forum, and discovered this model works perfectly with the serial port, so I attached the serial cable connecting the cable box to my TiVo, did guided settup with serial port connection, and it has worked flawlessly ever since, with no further effort on my part. If Comcast were trying to get rid of cable boxes with serial ports, why did they deliver a brand new one to my address last month?

I guess a lot depends on your "luck" about what part of the country you happen to be in and what kind of infrastructure is being used there by the cable company.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:44 PM   #49
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

I've had three or four of these (DCT-2000). All have had working serial ports. The high-definition boxes in this area (and all areas?) do not have serial ports. The local office people located a suitable serial-enabled box for me the last time I went in, with no complaints. My impression was that these boxes are being phased out for new models that mostly lack serial ports....dunno whether that is intentionally directed at DVR users or just a cost-savings technique .
Comcast of Woodbury, New Jersey.
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 12:30 AM   #50
petew

In markets where Comcast are simulcasting all channels in digital they are rolling out the DCT 700 which is a digital only box and much smaller than the DCT-2000. I'm guessing that in these markets all new boxes will be the 700 with 2000's being replaced as they break.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:37 AM   #51
mbernste

This is a really, really old thread, but nevertheless...

About 2 years ago all Comcast systems enabled the serial ports on those Motorola boxes that have them. They wanted to be more competitive with DirectTV and Dish in offering features. While they won't advertise the fact that its turned on, the TiVo should be able to work with the serial port. Unfortunately the newer HD boxes don't have serial so its kind of a moot point. I've since not only switched to an HD box, I moved and switched from Comcast (Motorola) to Cablevision (Scientific Atlanta), but I've never had a missed channel change with the IR Blaster and the respective HD boxes and I don't have to use an IR fort. My parents on the other hand, have Comcast an the DCT-6200 and have to use an IR fort due to other IR interference, so your mileage may vary.
mbernste is offline   Reply With Quote