TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-24-2003, 05:08 PM   #91
timckelley
TCFer

Quote:
Originally posted by Thom
You're not going to be able to change your wife's habits in this.

Either buy yourself your own TiVo, or buy one for her.

You can buy a refurbished Series 1 (with warranty and all accessories) for $90, and it can mount two hard drives.

- Thom
Where would I find this? Is ebay a good place to shop? What downfalls are there for the series 1 software vs. the series 2 software? I guess the big expense will be paying the monthly service twice. Somehow it doesn't seem fair that I should have to pay twice for the same guide data be loaded on two machines in the same house.
timckelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 06:35 PM   #92
Glen Graham
Senior Moment

Tim...

Sadly, and I hate to sound mean and phrase it like this, but your wife appears to have both control and hoarding issues.

She is controlling because she is steadfastly refusing to "share" the capacity on the drive. This is demeaning -- and if you refused to let her use the one family car (to go get her hair cut) because you might want to drive it around block later... SHE would consider that abuse.

Secondly, as more space was freed up, she hoarded it by setting more things to record.

Then, she has those one hundred or so tapes.

So, in a nutshell, your wife needs help. You're right - increasing capacity will not help, she'll hoard more and become more obsessive.

If/when you get your own TiVo, she will fill hers up, and see space on yours -- and then either set some stuff to record on yours, or complain to you that YOU are being mean and unfair to HER (because you have extra space and are not sharing).

Sorry again to sound harsh.

In the meantime, divide the capacity of your TiVo in two. Each of you gets to schedule ONLY enough recordings to fill your half. Fair? Yes. Will she agree? Not a chance in hell -- because (see above), she is not respecting you or your right to use the TiVo EQUALLY.

If anything is for you two to share, you each deduct half from your share of the capacity. IF you have to put it all in "your share", then you are 100% allowed to delete it the moment you watch it.

Lastly, her setting everything to KUID and hoarding to tape... is very very indicative of problems that undoubtedly go beyond the scope of this forum. Either she has some unspoken grudge against you (thus she refuses to share), or she has an obsessive-compulsive disorder (making her feel the urge to hoard) that she cannot keep in check and should honestly consult professional help for.

Lastly, she is not entirely to blame -- you are enabling her by not standing up and insisting on your fair share of the use of the TiVo.

Perhaps you would benefit if the TiVo "broke" and had to be sent back for repair (a couple of weeks)... harsh, but might help open her eyes to her obsessive-compulsive disorder.
Whatever I can pry loose... is not nailed down!
Old 06-24-2003, 06:38 PM   #93
Glen Graham
Senior Moment

Quote:
Originally posted by timckelley
Where would I find this? Is ebay a good place to shop? What downfalls are there for the series 1 software vs. the series 2 software? I guess the big expense will be paying the monthly service twice. Somehow it doesn't seem fair that I should have to pay twice for the same guide data be loaded on two machines in the same house.
On the other hand, to answer your questions:

eBay is, by and large, good. Often you can find units that already have a "lifetime" agreement.

Series 1 units are "stuck" on the last level of software -- no Home Media, no "Folders"... but other than that, work just fine. They have the advantage of being easily upgradable to 2 drives -- any 2 you want (so if it comes with a 30, you can add an extra 120 GB instead of having to replace it).

Let you wife have that unit, since it can easier hold more capacity.

Paying twice... get Lifetime, or consider it a small cost for a marriage. Bump your cable down a notch if you need to to save money.
Old 06-24-2003, 07:09 PM   #94
Thom

Quote:
www.servicedvr.com

(link also mentioned in my first reply in this thread)
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 03:03 PM   #95
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
Tim, I have something you can use soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Come join us October 5-12, 2014!
martinp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 03:04 PM   #96
timckelley
TCFer

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I was pretty surprised just now when I visited weaknees.com . It seems that things have changed in the last month or so regarding upgradabiltity of TiVo series 2 - 80 hours.

I was initially turned off from this idea because of the weak power supply and cramped quarters for holding two hard drives in my model, but it looks like recent developments have licked this problem. Their upgrade kits include a device for staggering the startup times for the two drives, allowing the weaker power supply to be sufficient, and also cooler, quieter fans to keep the two drives cool, despite their close proximity. They say it'll even be cooler than my one drive currently is!

Now, I'm having a hard decision. I was leaning towards a his and her TiVo to solve our problems, but it looks like upgrading is a lot cheaper. For $209, plus $19 extra if I want the advanced cooling pak, I can add a 120 G to my current setup. This would give me almost 63 hours Best Quality, or almost 229 hours basic quality. (I'm assuming this includes the time on my current HD, but I'm not completely sure about that. Even greater if it's in addition!)

If I get a separate TiVo, it sounds like I need to spend at least $90 to get an old series 1 with not much space, plus $299 for a lifetime contract, plus more $ to upgrade it. (Unless somebody out there is willing to sell me a series 1 already with LifeTime for a really low price.)

I'd like to save $ and do an upgrade, but I'm kind of afraid my wife could fill this up to. Before I do this, I would need a plan/agreement between my wife and I... some way for her not to infringe on my half on the TiVo space. I wonder how doable that is?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Tracy

- slydog75

- Bryanmc

Last edited by timckelley : 09-15-2006 at 01:51 PM.
timckelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 03:09 PM   #97
janry

Three Steps:

(1) Upgrade existing TiVo and tell wife it is all hers.
(2) Buy yourself a new TiVo.
(3) Upgrade your new TiVo.

You can never have enough TiVo.
janry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 05:23 PM   #98
Glen Graham
Senior Moment

Not sure what the final price is (auction ends in 2 days), but currently a 14-hour Series 1 with lifetime is $210 on e-bay

Click here

It is worth about $350, so it may yet be a decent deal (you can stick any old drive in it instead of the 15-GB that is there)

There is also another one with a "Buy It Now" for $399
Old 06-27-2003, 06:23 PM   #99
abobrow

Dear Tivo Community-

Please help me avoid solving a problem in my marriage. My wife puts the thermostat at one setting but I want it at a different setting. Help! What should I do??

Are there thermostats that can keep a house at two different temperatures at the same time? If so, where do I get them? Is there another way of measuring the warmth of a house, besides using temperature? Please help!!!
abobrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 06:37 PM   #100
rtype
Ruler of Earth

Quote:
Originally posted by abobrow
Dear Tivo Community-

Please help me avoid solving a problem in my marriage. My wife puts the thermostat at one setting but I want it at a different setting. Help! What should I do??

Are there thermostats that can keep a house at two different temperatures at the same time? If so, where do I get them? Is there another way of measuring the warmth of a house, besides using temperature? Please help!!!
Dear abobrow

Remind your wife that when she entered into the institution of marriage, she agreed to two understood principles. The first principle states that a woman shall not have possession or otherwise seek to restrict the usage of her husband's television remote control. The second states that a woman shall not adjust, tamper with or otherwise impede her husband's ability to set the thermostat.

Because these principles are understood and were perhaps not explicitly stated in your marriage agreement, many women have come to the conclusion that this agreement is by and large unenforcable. If she brings this to your attention, remind her that she did agree to these conditions of marriage whether they were explicitly stated or not. Also, you may remind her that if she chooses to continue to ignore this warning that you may choose to ignore two or more of the conditions of marriage which you agreed to that she may also find unenforcable.

If she understands the implication of your warning and chooses to suspend her interference with your operation of the television remote control and thermostat, you may, if you choose, decide to provide her with a gift of a blanket or a quilt kit in lieu of jewelry or other gift items at your next occasion.

Good luck with retraining your spouse. Remember that if things don't work out, newer models are available.
rtype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 07:29 PM   #101
abobrow

Actually it was a joke, but thanks for your opinions.
Old 06-27-2003, 07:30 PM   #102
rtype
Ruler of Earth

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by abobrow
Actually it was a joke, but thanks for your opinions.
Whew, I'm glad you told me. My response was completely serious.
rtype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 08:39 PM   #103
abobrow

Okay, I get it now. Sorry I mistook you for one of the people who are actually trying to solve this guy's problem. Irony is a tricky thing in print.
Old 06-27-2003, 10:30 PM   #104
TiVoPrince

When you get to 9 TiVos (700 hours) and two viewers, the problems just sort of disappear.
TiVoPrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 01:40 PM   #105
Thom

Quote:

Now, I'm having a hard decision. I was leaning towards a his and her TiVo to solve our problems, but it looks like upgrading is a lot cheaper.
I'd like to save $ and do an upgrade, but I'm kind of afraid my wife could fill this up to. Before I do this, I would need a plan/agreement between my wife and I... some way for her not to infringe on my half on the TiVo space. I wonder how doable that is?
Your wife's habits are not going to change. If she would/could, she already would have done so. Once you've upgraded your single TiVo, it just allows her to wait longer before watching her shows.

The only true solution to this is his and her TiVos. Note that once her TiVo fills up, she will want to begin using your TiVo. For peace in the family, allow her to do that, but insist that none of her shows be Keep Until I Delete. If she doesn't watch them/save them before they expire, well, she had her chance. And make sure all your shows are KUID, so that her shows don't bump your shows.

Upgrading your single TiVo is just delaying the inevitable.

- Thom
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 03:48 AM   #106
jsharper
rebmeM weN

Quote:
plus $299 for a lifetime contract,
Might I highly suggest switching to DirecTV and going the DirecTiVo combo route... $5/mo service fee covers all the tivos you have. and there are no quality settings since it saves the digital bitstream verbatim from the satellite.... so if you upgrade to 100 hrs, you actually get close to 100 hours at "perfect" quality.
jsharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 12:07 PM   #107
HeatherA
Old AVS Forum Member

We've worked this out in my house. 2 adults, 1 teen, 1 pre-teen very different viewing habits.

I have a 109 hour Tivo in my office/family room that I am in charge of. No one is allowed to mess with it except me. They may watch, but they may NOT delete anything. (Cable/Sat)

We have a 101 hour Tivo in the living room that the kids can set up season passes on as well as some from husband. All 3 have complete control over this and have had to figure out common courtesys to make sure they don't step on each others toes (Cable/Sat)

We have a 40 hour ReplayTV in the bedroom that we picked up for a song and use for backup and a few of husbands shows. Husband and I are the only ones that mess with this one. (Cable Only)

Works well and most everyone is happy. The only problems we run into are the kids fighting over who has the most season passes.

It's complicated but it works and we're a happy TV viewing family

Roamio Basic 477HDHr TiVo Prem.4 237HDHr TiVo Prem.XL 157HDHr TiVo Prem. 192HDHrx2 TiVo Mini

Retired
TiVoS2DT 560hr HDVR2 104hr Phillips 14hr TiVoS2(40hr) DTiVo 69hr TiVoHD 21HDhr
HeatherA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 05:43 PM   #108
Azure

I'm in agreement with pretty much everyone else here. Your wife is not going to change. One TiVo is NOT going to solve your problems, no matter HOW many hours of capacity it has. Two TiVos is the only solution. And I agree, let her record on your TiVo, with the rules being all of her shows are a lower priority than yours, none of them can be KUID, and none of them can be Keep All. Surely you see that this is the only way. How can you convince yourself that upgrading your existing TiVo will work? You freed up space on your TiVo and she saw the extra space and added more shows to her To Do List. It really is too bad you don't have DirecTiVos though. We have 6 for 4 people to use. One of them with 220 hours. At a cost of $700 total.
Old 06-29-2003, 06:59 PM   #109
smark

SHE'S STILL ALIVE?!
Old 06-30-2003, 09:20 AM   #110
allan
I survived the Mayan

I agree. One Tivo, no matter how big, is just postponing the problem. His & hers IS more expensive, but it sounds like the only option.

BEEP
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 07:42 PM   #111
Joey303
Gaga for Lala.com

Another TiVo? I don't think it's the answer.

I totally identify with the wife. Mind you, I don't side with her, but I can identify with her. And, as someone with her precise habits, I've got to admit that it's a symptom of a deeper personality problem and could probably benefit from some help.

Maybe she would benefit from watching Oprah or Dr. Phil, if she's not really interested in tackling the problem with a professional. Actually, she's probably TiVo-ing those shows already Oprah recently did a show on de-cluttering your house (and your life), which encouraged me to rent a dumpster and do the same. It's a good feeling . . . and a small start. Use this TiVo problem to work on the larger issue. Together. When all is said and done, she'll feel better about this letting-go of this KUID craziness . . . and better about herself, too. And, with a little nudging from you to help her get started, your relationship may improve, too. I know that I'm very grateful for the push and the support that I received.

Or, just buy another TiVo.
Old 07-08-2003, 02:41 AM   #112
Sleestak
Lizzard Member

Tell her the Tivo had an "accident".
Sleestak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 08:08 AM   #113
mclark11

THERE WILL NEVER BE ENOUGH TIME TO WATCH EVERYTHING. I ALMOST HAD THE SAME PROBLEM TO MYSELF. I'VE DECIDED THAT it's better to live a life they catch up to tivo. So instead of watching more to catch up, I'm watching LESS.
The solution is get a life. In fact the reason she can't catch up is cause she has a life. Just tell her to forget what she's missing, cathing up on garbage is not worth missing on life. (And I mean that because you're probably seeing the good stuff and puttin off the garbage because it's not really worth watching in the first place)
mclark11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 12:11 PM   #114
NFLnut
This Space For Rent

Quote:
Originally posted by martinp13
Get your wife her own TiVo. Seriously, that's what a lot of people have done.
I agree with this post!

That's what I did three years ago. My wife and I watch a lot of the same things, but she still watches some stuff that I would never watch ("Sense and Sensibility," etc). Some of our suggestions combined were getting a little scary ("Kill the Monster" ) so I bought her one too.
(1) DirecTV Rumblin', Stumblin', and Bumblin' HR20

HTTR!
NFLnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 12:41 PM   #115
Mars Rocket
Loosely wound

Quote:
Originally posted by mclark11
The solution is get a life.
"Life"? What is this "life" thing you speak of?

Mars Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 02:22 PM   #116
robertj49

You should never have shown here the keep until I delete choice. Most of my stuff is just recorded, and if I haven't watched it soon enough I have so much other stuff that I don't even realize it's gone. I'm upgraded to 120 hours, though. Upgrade your unit, and record everything (especially your wife's stuff, so she gets the message!!) at basic. That alone is work a few dozen extra hours, and it's really not that bad for most shows...
robertj49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 03:30 AM   #117
Rolnikov

We've got a phrase in our house for missed programs: one in the bank.

Any episode of a program that you miss is one in the bank - because tv is never gone for good - it'll always be repeated, and if you miss an episode of Frasier this week, when you see it in one, two or twenty years' time you'll be thrilled to have a brand new episode.

I see tv as a river, flowing continuously past, and tivo lets us slow down a particular bit of that river, where there's good fishing! But you can't stop the water flowing... try to build a dam and you'll feel the stress.

I would change everything on your tivo to keep until space needed, and let things take their natural course. And every time something has been deleted, say with a cheer: that's one in the bank!

Or if you can't countenance that, you need to get rid of the tivo, and the video. Pretend you have gambling debts and need to sell them. Otherwise the stress will kill you both - tv is important!
Rolnikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 06:56 AM   #118
ccwf
国際化 Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rolnikov
Any episode of a program that you miss is one in the bank - because tv is never gone for good - it'll always be repeated, and if you miss an episode of Frasier this week, when you see it in one, two or twenty years' time you'll be thrilled to have a brand new episode.
I look forward to the day when this is true, but for now it isn't. Shows which usually don't get repeated every few years include most sports and other live events, series so short-lived they didn't make it into syndication, and special shows like the Buffy Musical episode (which is repeated, but not in its entirety). (Also, currently most repeats of foreign-language series are on $$ channels and not subtitled.)

Anyways, back to the point of the original thread: you need a second TiVo. I myself have a 246+hr TiVo and can assure you that having a bigger TiVo will just delay problems for a while. Eventually, recording habits must change or the same old problems will recur. I myself used KUID/SUID a lot when I first upgraded my TiVo, eventually ran out of space, and was forced to change my own habits. I now KUID less than a handful of shows and manually push back the expiration dates of other important, unwatched shows every few days.
ccwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 12:17 PM   #119
mclark11

You can use KUID to your advantage. Record the show but specify only record 1 show (Default is 5), therefore if you don't watch it and delete it, it will no longer record new shows. This will be good for stopping Tivo recording those childrens program. Once you have one, it will stop recording.
mclark11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 10:29 AM   #120
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Multiple TiVos, here, and we love it. All over 100 hours, less actually since we default to High Quality since we have so much space. There's never any fear of losing stuff off the bottom of the list.
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote