TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-24-2003, 06:14 PM   #31
gmdebruyn

tivo home media option with a series 1??

if i have a tivo series 1 and i add the network card, can i use the new feature tivo is offering? the tivo home media option? does anyone know if the only requirement is that the tivo unit needs network access?

thanks,
Gareth
gmdebruyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 10:44 PM   #32
TiVo-rific

Wow, thats odd.

I received my turbonet card this weekend.
Installed the card in my Sony Series 1. Ran the Ethernet to my linksys router.
Plug in the Tivo. Add the prefix entry and presto! It worked fine first try.
I didn’t hack/add any software at all.
TiVo-rific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 07:20 PM   #33
mhammond1

Wireless USB Series 2.0 Configuration

I have the AT&T Series 2 Tivo, Version 3+ of the software, and purchased the Linksys Wireless USB, version 2.6, as recommended by the website. The link light on the USB is on, but I am not seeing an IP Address in the DHCP clients table on the Linksys wireless router. Does the SSID need to be something so the Tivo can find it? I saw someone say something about the top or bottom USB slot (don't know why that would make a diff). I've rebooted the Tivo many times. I've powered it off. I even had the power company come out and verify the 110 line powering the Tivo was still at 60hz. Ok, that last one is a lie.

Any legitimate help would be appreciated.
mhammond1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 07:48 PM   #34
AZJimbo
TiVo Lover and Chef

Everyone keeps emphasizing that wireless is not supported until 4.0.

I bought the same unit from TiVo and it does not work as of yet.
Old 03-26-2003, 07:53 PM   #35
mhammond1

Weird. The title of this thread is '3.0 Ethernet HowTos'. So, I'm confused. Is 4.0 rolling out now?

-Michael
Old 03-26-2003, 09:46 PM   #36
AZJimbo
TiVo Lover and Chef

Sometime in April.
Old 03-26-2003, 09:50 PM   #37
mhammond1

AZJimbo,

Why does everyone else say they can get it to work, if 4.0 isn't rolling until April?

-Michael
Old 03-26-2003, 10:00 PM   #38
AZJimbo
TiVo Lover and Chef

I don't think they do.
Old 03-30-2003, 09:24 PM   #39
Aiken
Blah, blah, blah.

DHCP Leases: What NOT to do

As far as I can tell, the problem I was having was that my DSL router (Netgear RT314) was set up to start giving out DCHP leases at 192.168.0.2. I'm not sure if that was the default or if I stupidly set it up that way. Anyway, the TiVo already uses 192.168.0.2 as a temporary address when it asks for a lease, and I think the RT314's DHCP server got confused because .2 wasn't supposed to be in use yet.

I set the RT314's DHCP servert to start leasing at a higher address and, woohoo, everything worked.

(BTW special thanks to those who noted that the LinkSys USB100TX doesn't actually light up even though it's working just fine. Saved me a lot of worry there.)
Aiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 02:33 PM   #40
lordbah

BestBuy didn't have any of the supported adapters, but I hoped that the Linksys USB200M would be close enough. Doesn't seem to be. Powered off, plugged everything together, powered on. No lights on the adapter, and the DHCP server doesn't show anything new. If I disconnect/reconnect the adapter, the 10 light comes on. But the light never comes on after power-up or TiVo reboot, I have to disco/reconnect it afterward for that to happen. Even so, DHCP server shows nothing. Since it's a 3.2 software system, I can't read the log files.

Any ideas? Maybe the USB200M simply won't work with TiVo.

Edit: Okay, I've found another post saying USB200M won't work with 3.2 software but will with 4.0. Now I just have to figure out how to get 4.0 ...

Last edited by lordbah : 04-20-2003 at 01:00 AM.
lordbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 10:39 AM   #41
ashu
User title defunct

Quote:
Originally posted by lordbah
Edit: Okay, I've found another post saying USB200M won't work with 3.2 software but will with 4.0. Now I just have to figure out how to get 4.0 ...
You can ...
1. Wait until the 4.0 rollout catches your system by surprise one of these nights
2. Order HMO and force 4.0 to be downloaded in a hurry. My bet is you'll like it so much (especially since your'e networking your TiVo anyway) that you'll not want to return it within 30 days!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Too many TiVos!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo!
So little time! So much to know!
ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 05:31 PM   #42
lordbah

Oh ... this magic "Upgrade Me First" button doesn't show up unless you order HMO? That would explain why I haven't been able to find it....
lordbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 01:37 AM   #43
antalo

I finally got mine working, by dishing out $99.- to TIVO for the HMO. After a couple of hours I did make a daly call and it downloaded the 4.0 (using the phone line). After it finished installing the software, did a manual reboot. After that it was a piece of cake. Setup the networking and my Linksys WUSB11 (wireless) works like a champ. I think I will try to get my money back, because they got some 6 song, or whatever and some pictures on. Have no idea how one suppose to put own pictures on. Didn't have time to read on.
After I dished out the $ 99.-, I read that some folks did get the USB working by making some changes in the software. It was to late for me.
Antalo
antalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 08:14 AM   #44
azitnay

If you really don't want HMO, go ahead and return it, but "have no idea how one suppose to put own pictures on" isn't an excuse. There exists very easy-to-use software for this feat. I'd recommend at least trying the M&P software and TiVo Central Online as well before returning it.

Drew
azitnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 03:14 PM   #45
mlevin

Question where does tivo get its internet updates?

I haven't added networking to my tivo yet, but I'm very curious:

after all the setup and changing the dialing string, WHERE does it get its program guide updates from? some website? some non-HTTP-based tcp service? is this provided by tivo or is somebody grabbing the data via dialup and then making it available via the internet?

what's the url / ip address / etc. of this service?

does it still require a subscription in that case?

also, I read another post about the clocks getting out of synchronization if a real phone call is not made every so often -- is that still an issue?

thanks
mlevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 04:13 PM   #46
porkface

The data comes from the TiVo company via TCP/IP, but I'm not sure if it's through HTTP.

My clock hasn't become out of synch in the 2 or so years since I made the switch.

People here won't help you figure out the URL or IP of the service because that's not important unless you're looking to attempt to steal guide data or build a firewall, and if you're looking to build a firewall that detailed you should be competent enough to figure out where the TiVo is looking anyway. Rest assured this method still requires a subscription.

As far as I know, it performs the same transaction with the servers as it would over the phone line, because those scripts don't get altered when you switch to using the NIC (at least this was the case back when this was handled by scripts rather than compiled code).
porkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 04:21 PM   #47
mlevin

cool, thanks for the info. yeah, I could just set it up and then run snoop to watch the exchange... I was just kinda curious about the protocol, data format, etc. not trying to evade the subscription fees in any way... I will gladly pay the subscription fees -- tivo is the greatest invention of all time. who needs the wheel, fire or sliced bread?
mlevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 09:24 PM   #48
ghost

Re: Telnet HELP!!!

I'm having the same problem... did anyone determine why this isn't working on some upgrades?

Quote:
Originally posted by vonburkleo
I have been trying to get Telnet running over Ethernet on a never before hacked DTivo series 1 (a Sony SAT 60) that is running v3 software. The unit is getting a dynamic IP assigned just fine and I can use Ethernet to get tv listings…now I want Telnet.

I adding the “tnlited 23 /bin/bash –login &” with the joe editor and saved it to both hdc4 and hdc7. On tivo boot it doesn’t work. When I pull the drive and boot it in linux to check (using Dylan’s boot disk), the tnlited line I added is always missing in HDC4, but is still there in HDC7. I’ve done this now a dozen times and the same result.

Somehow on Tivo start up, something is erasing the “tnlited 23 /bin/bash –login &” from HDC4.

Any ideas?
I’m going nuts!

ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 09:30 PM   #49
ghost

Ahhh... this thread may have an answer to my problem... but I haven't tried it yet.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...ghlight=telnet
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 11:05 AM   #50
jfunkk99

Question Series 2 telnet???

So does anyone have telnet or ftp access on their Series 2 tivo?? I have a series 2 80 hour. I tried installing it but it doesn't work. I can ping it fine but can't telnet. I was reading that it's not possible in a series 2 but there has to be a way. Thanks.

~Joe
jfunkk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 03:06 PM   #51
rebthor

Re: Used to Work Now Broken

Quote:
Originally posted by rebthor
I have a TiVoNet card installed in my TiVo which was working fine. I went on vacation and when I came back, I found TiVo had crashed and now my TiVonet card no longer works. I removed the ethernet card and checked it in another machine - it appears to be working just fine; set to IRQ 5, Base 0x300, but when I place it back into TiVo I get nothing.
OK, finally had some time to take a look at what is going on with it. In my /var/log/kernel, I am getting some strange messages. I don't know what to make of them, but they are obviously related to the problems I am having with my TivoNet card. Here is the first time network stuff is mentioned
Quote:
Look for debug board...
Setting ipaddr to 192.168.1.84
Setting macaddr to 0004ace30054
SIOCSIFHWADDR: Operation not supported by device
SIOCSIFADDR: Operation not supported by device
eth0: unknown interface.
Enabling local route...
Then later on, I get a different set of ethernet/card errors:
Quote:
Configuring netowork
Loading 8390 driver
Probing for Ethernet card
NE*000 ethercard probe at 0x300
8390.c:v1.10 9/23/94 Donald Becker (becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov)
ne_probe(205)
00 40 05 9E 97 D5
eth0: TiVoNE found at 0x300, using IRQ 29
ne_probe(247)
Card found
... more config stuff not network related ...
eth0: Shutting down ethercard
I am running software 3.0-01-1-000. Obviously the NE2000 card is not using IRQ29, but it is at 0x300. This card shows up and works in a computer as IRQ5 and 0x300. In my var/log/messages I keep getting DHCPDISCOVER messages on eth0, which obviously fails because eth0 was shut down by the kernel.

Last edited by rebthor : 10-09-2003 at 03:12 PM.
rebthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 01:29 AM   #52
TiVo-Thom

Forum feedback requested; I located a straight-forward procedure for enabling networking on the HDPR2/3 www.hostfreedom.com/tivo/onepage.html has anyone performed this enhancement and what were the results, I'm particularly interested in the TiVo-Web, as my ultimate remote is eventually going to be that Viewsonic wireless touchscreen display, and have web servers control my HT!
Pioneer 45TXi, DVL-919, Sony DVP-CX985V, JVC-HMDH30000U, Mitsu-Megaview 3315XA,
HTPC! (Radeon AIW-9800-MP1, Audigy II ZS, Holo3DGraph, MIT MPD-120, 1tB-RAID5, P4-3.2gHz Extreme Edition, SST-LC01)
Message Me for HTPC Ideas and Help!
TiVo-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 11:03 AM   #53
geagle

Tivo-Thom,
I recently completed the network activitation using how-to located there at hostfreedom. There were some errors in the doc, but, I did get it to work. I would like to send the corrections to the author, but there is no contact info any where. The key correction for networking is: if you choose to bypass the serial terminal setup (not recommended), the directions do not have you enabling telnet or ftp in the hackinit. Won't work very well without these lines there

Make sure any editors you use don't put ^M's in hackinit. I found that ftp from a linux box in text mode will do this at transfer time! (od -xc /var/hack/hackinit and look for \r chars near the \n's)

Anyway, I've got the linksys USB200M adapter, but also picked up a netgear MA111 (its just so nice and small... would be really slick upgrade I think... just a tad slow for some of the thing done over this link) I'm working to compile modules for the wireless adapter. Has anyone done this??

geagle
geagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 12:49 PM   #54
TiVo-Thom

No slowing than the serial port!
HTPC! (Radeon AIW-9800-MP1, Audigy II ZS, Holo3DGraph, MIT MPD-120, 1tB-RAID5, P4-3.2gHz Extreme Edition, SST-LC01)
Old 10-11-2003, 12:51 PM   #55
TiVo-Thom

slower (Oops)
Old 10-26-2003, 02:33 AM   #56
brian3764

DirectTiVO 3.1

Hi all. I'm totally new to TiVO but I am excited that I have it and even more excited that this community exists to help people like me out.

My question is pretty simple:

I just got my DirectTiVo today and I waited to buy my TurboNet adapter until I knew what version software I have. I have seen posts that state that after ver 3.0, the OS is more equipped to do ethernet. Will I still need to remove the drive and reprogram it with my PC? I bought the TurboNet card from 9thtee. I'm hoping to do this with minimal effort as I am not THAT familiar with Linux though I am a programmer by trade (RPG on AS/400). Can someone give me an idea as to what I should expect to have to do?

Thanks!

Brian
brian3764 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 10:34 AM   #57
HerbM

Several months and still not Inet update

After having my Turbonet working for several months it still will not pass the Phone connection test nor download.

Yes, the #, 401 is correct; it has an IP; it routes since we can use a network monitory to watch it talk to TiVo (or download pages from our web server on the public Internet), but the TiVo update server doesn't feed it new stuff.

This has to go through ISA (and nat) but we see that working and the connection to the TiVo website starts until it requests service (almost looks like an "authorization" issue but I don't what the "correct" connection should look like.)

Oh, we have a lifetime subscription too.

Connecting (Failed. Service unavailable.)

Anyone feel like making me a capture of this conversation and sending it so
that I can compare it to my capture and try to figure out the culprit?

Herb
news@LearnQuick.Com
HerbM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 01:47 PM   #58
TivoMad2003

DHCP Servers

I currently have two networked Sony Tivos (2000 and 3000) and i use DHCP Turbo software...
TivoMad2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 01:48 PM   #59
TivoMad2003

DHCP Servers

OOPS wrong entry...dang anti-spam stuff

I currently have two networked Sony Tivos (2000 and 3000) and i use DHCP Turbo software...

Get it here:

try weird-solutions dot com for the software

go to downloads its freeware!
TivoMad2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 09:03 AM   #60
BobNeub

Wink THANKS!

After reading these boards for a few months I realized my TIVO had a problem...no Balls. Saturday, I ordered 2 x 120 Gig Hard Drives and all the stuff from 9th Tee to add ethernet to my TIVO. The procedure was long, about 10 hours becuase of fat fingers . I first upgraded the Harddrives, resulting in Balls the size of Grapefruits, 278 Hours. I then proceeded with the instructions Steve put up here for the ethernet and all the cool network stuff. My TIVO is now available via the web, can telnet, ftp, the whole can of tomatoes. Need to add the video extraction stuff and the AIM stuff but it rocks!
BobNeub is offline   Reply With Quote