TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-22-2014, 04:04 PM   #1
johnmz

4k Tv

Has anyone tried using a Tivo Mini with a 4K TV?
johnmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 04:39 PM   #2
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

What are you expecting?
It'll work like any other HDMI device..
Old 08-22-2014, 04:50 PM   #3
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

TiVo has yet to make a unit that can handle or output 4k, but it will drive the monitor at 1080i/p.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 04:54 PM   #4
bradleys
It'll be fine....

What would the source for the 4K signal be?
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:28 PM   #5
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
magic
Old 08-22-2014, 11:11 PM   #6
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Netflix.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:35 AM   #7
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
Netflix.
But the mini hooked to the 4K television would not be able to utilize that.

I predict it's a "1 and done" from the OP
Old 08-23-2014, 11:59 AM   #8
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Well then he must have one of those 2014 70" + ultra TV's and it will have an ultra HD Netflix client installed. I can't watch 1080p on my old tube television no matter what the source is...

This is the biggest bullsh*t questions we get, if he had the $5,000 TV required to display 4k, he would know the answer to his question.

4k is a gimmick.
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)

Last edited by bradleys : 08-23-2014 at 12:04 PM.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:56 PM   #9
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I think 4K is likely to be the new mainstream, sooner than later. The sets aren't even that pricey.

I have one (1) 2160p video file that I tried feeding to my TiVos. IIRC, it played back audio-only... what I know for sure is, it didn't work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:20 PM   #10
tarheelblue32

Quote:
4k is a gimmick.
People probably said the same thing about color back in the 60s or HD in the 90s. I can hear them now: "I prefer TV in black and white, color is too distracting." or "Standard definition looks good enough to me, and I don't like the new widescreen format."
Old 08-23-2014, 10:24 PM   #11
bradleys
It'll be fine....

The median size of TV's sold in the US is 46", and has been stable at that number since 2007... 4k brings no value at that size, heck you really need to get up to 70" before you can see a demonstrable difference at normal viewing distances.

So then it comes to content - 1080P was successful because cable TV delivered it to the unwashed masses and even a bargain basement 30" television improved...

So, only 2% of television sales are that large and we have no content - one has to drive the other and in this case neither can drive the change.

Just like 3D, this is a gimmick, the CE manufacturers are hoping to catch the sales magic of the HD revolution - but this won't go anywhere.

Just like the emperors cloths - lemmings will claim they can see the difference on their 40" plasma, swearing up and down... But you can't, 20/20 vision cannot consume the difference in pixels at anything that could be considered a normal viewing distance. Done, end of story, hard stop.

Good article from Cnet on this topic:

http://www.cnet.com/news/why-ultra-h...-still-stupid/

TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)

Last edited by bradleys : 08-23-2014 at 10:57 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:49 AM   #12
HomieG
Nowhere Man...

bradleys,

Great summary at the cnet link you provided. Marketing is powerful, and the manufacturers play on bigger numbers for the finite time they'll be able to sell 4K TV's at high prices. Though the prices will inevitably decrease, and I do think 4K TV's will be slightly more successful than 3D was.

HomieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:33 AM   #13
swerver

Have they stopped selling 3d? I bought my last tv in 2010 and 3d was still 50% pricier at the time, and I wasn't interested anyway, so I didn't spring for it. Since then prices have continued to drop, I figured just about all big tv's these days just had 3d by default. And that 4k would be the same way. It just becomes standard once the price drops enough, even if no one really wanted it.

Having said all that, 4k does look amazing and I personally find it more compelling than 3d, but I would only be interested in the case of a theater type application. Of course this won't stop manufacturers from trying to push it on regular sized tv's.
swerver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:36 AM   #14
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Not many people will base their TV buying decisions on a chart. Here's how it works: You go to the store, you stand right in front of the TV, you go "Wow!", and you buy it. 3D was never all that "wow", and the glasses kill it. 4K needs no glasses.

Content-wise, here's what 4K can do today: render both 1080i/p (at 2x) and 720p (at 3x) without compromising or favoring either one. It's the lowest resolution that can do that. Reason enough, given the lack of premium pricing, for it to supplant 720p and 1080p displays.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:18 PM   #15
bradleys
It'll be fine....

My next media room projector will be a 4k projector, I think it makes sense.

So far at least, BDA (blue-ray standards body) has not developed a 4k standard and nothing seems to be in the works at the moment. So physical media isn't on the horizon - only streaming...
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 08-25-2014, 08:54 PM   #16
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
The median size of TV's sold in the US is 46", and has been stable at that number since 2007... 4k brings no value at that size, heck you really need to get up to 70" before you can see a demonstrable difference at normal viewing distances.

So then it comes to content - 1080P was successful because cable TV delivered it to the unwashed masses and even a bargain basement 30" television improved...

S..........................
WHen did cable TV bring 1080P? It's still 720P and 1080i with few exceptions.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:16 PM   #17
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Yes, but the unwashed masses don't know the difference!
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Old 08-25-2014, 10:06 PM   #18
series5orpremier

Just sit with your nose touching the screen and you'll be good. But first wait 10 years for the TV infrastructure to be replaced with 4K compatibility.
series5orpremier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 04:32 PM   #19
Bigg

Quote:
My next media room projector will be a 4k projector, I think it makes sense.

So far at least, BDA (blue-ray standards body) has not developed a 4k standard and nothing seems to be in the works at the moment. So physical media isn't on the horizon - only streaming...
Exactly. 4K needs projectors to really shine. There's one Sony that can be paired with their media box to do 4K Netflix, but it's like $20k. I'm hoping that within a year or two, there are $4k 4k projectors that have a HEVC decoder and an Ethernet jack built in to be able to do Netflix, or somehow have an external box that can do that task. That would make for an amazing home theater to have a 120"+ 4k screen!
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 02:55 AM   #20
CodeeCB

Quote:
Well then he must have one of those 2014 70" + ultra TV's and it will have an ultra HD Netflix client installed. I can't watch 1080p on my old tube television no matter what the source is...

This is the biggest bullsh*t questions we get, if he had the $5,000 TV required to display 4k, he would know the answer to his question.

4k is a gimmick.

How is 4K a gimmick? I have a samsung 4k and it is absolutely amazing compared to my previous tv (Panasonic plasma). Netflix in 4k is good, the 4k content pack/hard drive is awesome, and standard bluray and tv looks better even.

Prices keep coming down to and will be mainstream faster than 3d ever was or will be.
CodeeCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 02:57 AM   #21
CodeeCB

Quote:

So, only 2% of television sales are that large and we have no content - one has to drive the other and in this case neither can drive the change.

Just like 3D, this is a gimmick, the CE manufacturers are hoping to catch the sales magic of the HD revolution - but this won't go anywhere.

Just like the emperors cloths - lemmings will claim they can see the difference on their 40" plasma, swearing up and down... But you can't, 20/20 vision cannot consume the difference in pixels at anything that could be considered a normal viewing distance. Done, end of story, hard stop.

Good article from Cnet on this topic:

http://www.cnet.com/news/why-ultra-h...-still-stupid/

I have a 65" 4k and sit around 5' from it, if that so I am getting the full benefits of 4k content
CodeeCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:51 AM   #22
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeeCB View Post
How is 4K a gimmick? I have a samsung 4k and it is absolutely amazing compared to my previous tv (Panasonic plasma). Netflix in 4k is good, the 4k content pack/hard drive is awesome, and standard bluray and tv looks better even.

Prices keep coming down to and will be mainstream faster than 3d ever was or will be.
I doubt the people who call it a gimmick have ever seen a 4k TV in person. They never relate their first-hand experiences, they just trot out charts and say "Look, your eyes can't see a difference at X distance/screen size because this chart says so. It's a gimmick!" Then, people who actually have seen 4k in person say that it looks amazing compared to standard HD. I have to admit I have not yet seen 4k in person myself, but until I do, I am inclined to believe people who have actually seen one over some chart. And once I take a look at one myself, I will believe my own eyes over some chart.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:16 PM   #23
aaronwt
HD Addict

You need to see an Ultra HDTV in person along with native UHD content. Without that it is underwhelming.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:56 PM   #24
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
I predict it's a "1 and done" from the OP
As predicted, OP has apparently moved on and not returned.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:56 PM   #25
JWhites

Well all I know is that according to TiVo tech support the Premiere and Roamio and the Mini are all HDMI 1.4a compliant.
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:03 PM   #26
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhites View Post
Well all I know is that according to TiVo tech support the Premiere and Roamio and the Mini are all HDMI 1.4a compliant.
Meaning what? Any 4K Tv(or UHD TV) should upconvert any input to it's native UHD resolution of 3840 x 2160.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:38 PM   #27
JWhites

Nope. Just that if an update ever came out for 4K support, the HDMI component will support it.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:59 PM   #28
aaronwt
HD Addict

AFAIK the Roamio chipset doesn't support resolutions above 1080P.

I know Broadcom came out with a new SoC for UHD support, the BCM7445. But the Roamio is supposed to have the BCM7241.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:06 PM   #29
JWhites

Oh ok then. Would be interesting if they release revisions to the Roamio which brings that new chipset to the table. Or maybe TiVo releases a new Mini that can upconvert to UHD?
Old 09-02-2014, 04:33 PM   #30
Dan203
Super Moderator

Resolution is only a small part of the equation. Right now 4K TVs are high end, and manufacturers are trying to get people to buy them, so they are using the highest quality parts and techniques to make them look as good as possible. So there is no doubt they look amazing compared to the $500 HDTVs sitting next to them. Once they go mainstream and start to use lower quality components like most HDTVs do we'll be able to see that resolution doesn't really matter much. Unless you're sitting really close to your TV it's unlikely you'd be able to see a difference. At normal viewing distances (8-10') most people can't even tell the difference between 720p and 1080p.

Those of you with 4k TVs that say they look better even when displaying 1080p content are just proving my point. 4k is exactly 4x the resolution of 1080p. So when a 4k panel displays a 1080p image it just uses 4 pixels to display every 1 pixel of the source, so the individual pixels are actually roughly the same size as they would be on a 1080p panel. The reason they look so much better is because the 4k TV is using better components, not because of the resolution.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote