Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-12-2014, 08:20 AM   #91
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post
WGN as a SuperStation was very popular in the Midwest, and that's presumably why they keep at least a couple of newscasts around. Ditto for the sports.

The former seems almost silly anymore, with WGN America's efforts at original programming...and the fact that you can stream any WGN newscast live now.
The Superstation format is pretty much dead. When I first got cable (in Arizona) I think we had 5 different ones (WOR from NY, WGN in Chicago, WTBS in Atlanta, An L.A. station (I think it was Channel 5) and I think also WPIX in NY. I think there were a few others at an additional charge. I really am surprised MLB lets WGN show those baseball games nationally. You'd think they could sell more subscriptions to their EI or MLB.TV services if they got rid of those games. It also shouldn't be fair to other teams in the midwest that the Cubs and Sox can gain a fan base like that. I'd think teams like the Cards and Royals and Tigers would cry foul.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:35 AM   #92
Inundated
Face For Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I really am surprised MLB lets WGN show those baseball games nationally. You'd think they could sell more subscriptions to their EI or MLB.TV services if they got rid of those games. It also shouldn't be fair to other teams in the midwest that the Cubs and Sox can gain a fan base like that. I'd think teams like the Cards and Royals and Tigers would cry foul.
Starting in January, WGN America converts to a basic cable channel a la TBS, so it will indeed lose the Chicago sports.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...chicago-sports

Quote:
(Tribune CEO Peter Liguori is) in the process of converting the company's national broadcast channel, WGN America, from a superstation into a basic cable channel, which is mainly a technical transition, except that it will require dumping Cubs, Bulls, Blackhawks and White Sox game broadcasts. He doesn't mind, because that programming hasn't been paying off anyway, and besides — he's a New York Mets fan.

Last edited by Inundated : 08-12-2014 at 09:41 AM.
Inundated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:23 PM   #93
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inundated View Post
Starting in January, WGN America converts to a basic cable channel a la TBS, so it will indeed lose the Chicago sports.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...chicago-sports
It's not a basic cable station now? That is a surprise.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 01:00 AM   #94
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
It's not a basic cable station now? That is a surprise.
That's what I said early in this thread. I've always considered WGN as one of the few channels that you'd get even if you only had limited basic. At least that's how it's been where I've lived. But apparently that's not the case everywhere as I learned from how many in this thread have never even heard of the channel and don't have it on their cable subscriptions, or have to have a special tier to get it.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:21 AM   #95
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
That's what I said early in this thread. I've always considered WGN as one of the few channels that you'd get even if you only had limited basic. At least that's how it's been where I've lived. But apparently that's not the case everywhere as I learned from how many in this thread have never even heard of the channel and don't have it on their cable subscriptions, or have to have a special tier to get it.
Is this just a case of semantics? I've always considered TBS, WGN and the other superstations also basic cable channels, simply because they generally are offered with other basic cable channels in the non premium channel tiers. My definition of a basic cable channel has always been a channel that you don't have to pay a premium to get that channel (or a series of related channels). A&E, Discover, CNN, Fox News, TBS, Comedy Central are all "basic cable" The HBO, Cinemax, Showtime family of channels aren't.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:07 AM   #96
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Mentioned upthread; I have limited basic (locals only, plus things like CSPAN, no "basic cable" stations) and for some reason WGN America is included in my lineup. It's only in SD so I watch Manhattan via Hulu+.
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 01:01 PM   #97
TiVo'Brien
Multi-year Veteran

Ahem, getting the discussion about Manhattan back on track..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
This past episode annoyed me. WAY too much "mourning" for Charlie. I don't know why, but I am much more interested in the wives' stories than the men. The men ALL seem like a bunch of jerks and are totally unlikable. I get that they are trying to show that they all have these huge egos and are willing to stab each other in the back at the drop of a hat. But there's not a likable one in the bunch.
Agree on the too much mourning for Charlie. It seemed like 2/3 of the show was about him, which sort of tells me the pacing we can expect from the show - slooow.

And yeah, the women's story lines are more interesting. Maybe even a little lesbian action coming soon? It makes sense now that I think of it, but having the operators listening in on every phone conversation was pretty shocking.

Gotta give props to Frank for his clever way of getting a meeting with the base commander guy, aka Duck Phillips.
TiVo'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:00 PM   #98
Archangel00

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhip View Post
I think this is their first original series.
No, that would be Salem. Both are solid shows though. WGN is off to a great start in providing original programming.
Archangel00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:24 PM   #99
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVo'Brien View Post
Ahem, getting the discussion about Manhattan back on track..........

Agree on the too much mourning for Charlie. It seemed like 2/3 of the show was about him, which sort of tells me the pacing we can expect from the show - slooow.

And yeah, the women's story lines are more interesting. Maybe even a little lesbian action coming soon? It makes sense now that I think of it, but having the operators listening in on every phone conversation was pretty shocking.

Gotta give props to Frank for his clever way of getting a meeting with the base commander guy, aka Duck Phillips.
How else could they know what was being said on the phone in a secure area?
Old 08-16-2014, 03:15 AM   #100
stinkbomb1020

I liked Salem, my wife more than me. Manhattan, so far, is a "must see" for me. I like the show.
stinkbomb1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 06:59 AM   #101
SullyND
L: 28-31

I really like the show, though I keep waiting for someone from Eureka to show up.
SullyND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:10 PM   #102
WheatDude

I like the show, but last night had a HUGE continuity error.

There was a swastika on an imperial German soldier's Stahlhelm. While the swastika did appear on various military items from other nations, the swastika wasn't used on German military items until several years after the end of WW1.
WheatDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:30 PM   #103
Fl_Gulfer
Tivo's R Us

I really enjoy the show but the wife just falls asleep so I watch alone. I wonder where he got the extra detonators.
DirecTV Genie
2 DirecTV HR24 HD DVR
Fl_Gulfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:24 PM   #104
ADG
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheatDude View Post
I like the show, but last night had a HUGE continuity error.

There was a swastika on an imperial German soldier's Stahlhelm. While the swastika did appear on various military items from other nations, the swastika wasn't used on German military items until several years after the end of WW1.
Not to be the grammar police, but that would be a chronological error, not a continuity (editing) error.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:02 PM   #105
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

It was a very tiny swastika...
Old 08-27-2014, 12:20 PM   #106
DUSlider

Ok, so I was excited to watch this show. Set a SP up. Now getting around to watch it and apparently only the Pilot recorded and there were no conflicts AFAIK. My TiVo shows no future episodes. I'm on Comcast near Philly. it was on WPHL. I don't think I get WGN otherwise. Doing a search shows that WPHL was going to air the premiere but I can't find anything for after.
DUSlider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:31 PM   #107
SullyND
L: 28-31

If you are on Comcast and can get OnDemand, you should be able to watch all episodes on there. We do not get WGN America in Chicago, but that is how I am watching it.
SullyND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:32 PM   #108
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUSlider View Post
Ok, so I was excited to watch this show. Set a SP up. Now getting around to watch it and apparently only the Pilot recorded and there were no conflicts AFAIK. My TiVo shows no future episodes. I'm on Comcast near Philly. it was on WPHL. I don't think I get WGN otherwise. Doing a search shows that WPHL was going to air the premiere but I can't find anything for after.
All but the first episode is exclusively WGN America. In NY it was on WPIX as well as WGN America for the first episode, after that, just WGN
Old 08-27-2014, 02:41 PM   #109
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
I don't think it comes on this holiday weekend. So the next episode might not show up if you checked the guide this past Monday or Tuesday. Since the guide is only good for around 12 days.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:59 PM   #110
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

It's on Hulu Plus.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:18 PM   #111
Inundated
Face For Radio

It's also on free Hulu after a delay (a week, I think).

And yes, it was only on the Tribune over-air local stations the first week. WGN America only after that...
Inundated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:37 PM   #112
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by SullyND View Post
If you are on Comcast and can get OnDemand, you should be able to watch all episodes on there. We do not get WGN America in Chicago, but that is how I am watching it.
I meant to mention this. The On Demand airings of Manhattan apparently turn into COMPLETELY COMMERCIAL FREE versions after a while.. and even when there are commercials, they are FFable.. (obviously there's more latency than with a local recording.)

I watched the first ep on On Demand, it had the 'car movie commercial' thing, but it was FFable.. I don't remember how soon after it aired that I watched it.. But then I watched at least the next 2, I think 3 episodes with NO commercials except for a very short WGNA bumper at the beginning.. NO commercials otherwise.

I got impatient and watched the last episode the next day, and it still had commercials, but again FFable.

So I'm still Tivoing it, but the commercial free On Demand is better than Tivoed!
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:43 PM   #113
DavidJL

Quote:
First five episodes are available on free hulu.
DavidJL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:33 PM   #114
mattack

...and as I said COMMERCIAL FREE or at least FFable on On Demand.. You have ads on Hulu.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 11:04 PM   #115
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

On Demand has its downsides. I don't use it if I can stream.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:28 PM   #116
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
...and as I said COMMERCIAL FREE or at least FFable on On Demand...
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhenry View Post
On Demand has its downsides. I don't use it if I can stream.
i hate to add my post for fear someone at wgn america will read this thread and ruin the experience, but here it goes...

sunday nights tend to be crowded with series i like to watch, so i caught on to manhattan late (never gave it a chance, i loathed salem on wgna). it's turned out to be my favorite new summer series, and when i was catching up, i discovered that with comcast vod there are no commercials, which means no ffwd. even with an sp set on my tivo, i still usually watch new eps with vod because of the seamless, uninterrupted viewing.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:12 PM   #117
andyw715

Any one notice some top and bottom screen crop going on?

I'm watching the pilot and noticed that the opening scene (sandstorm) had some text that was half there. Also noticed the credits chopped off. Not to mention tall people with half their heads cropped out.

And no, the TV isn't on Zoom or any other weird aspect setting.
andyw715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:02 AM   #118
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Are you watching recorded, streamed or other?

The only thing I've noticed is they like to equalize toward ultra-bass. The "boom" in the opening is one place but elsewhere in the soundtrack as well. My 32-year-old bookshelf speakers can't quite handle it.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:54 AM   #119
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I enjoyed this last episode. It's definitely getting better now that the characters are much more fleshed out. I was on the fence about continuing watching.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:18 PM   #120
andyw715

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhenry View Post
Are you watching recorded, streamed or other?

The only thing I've noticed is they like to equalize toward ultra-bass. The "boom" in the opening is one place but elsewhere in the soundtrack as well. My 32-year-old bookshelf speakers can't quite handle it.
User error.

My TV wasn't zoomed, but TiVo was. Apparently the zoom feature on TiVo affects SD recordings and not HD
andyw715 is offline   Reply With Quote