TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-03-2014, 10:49 AM   #31
wprager

There is zero chemistry between the leads. That makes it very difficult for me to get invested in this show.
Spoiler:
It was fun seeing Louis Gosssett Jr, but why did they have to make him a dick?

Does anyone else get a Defying Gravity vibe from this show? Does anyone else wish they'd kept DG on the air instead of this one?

Last edited by wprager : 08-04-2014 at 07:21 PM.
wprager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 02:51 PM   #32
KyleLC
Unregistered User

TC CLUB MEMBER
wprager, your third sentence is a spoiler. That does not occur until the July 30 episode.
KyleLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:22 PM   #33
wprager

Oops. am I in the wrong thread? Sorry.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:23 PM   #34
wprager

Looks like there aren't any threads for the last couple of episodes. That doesn't bode well for the show.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:28 PM   #35
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by wprager View Post
Does anyone else get a Defying Gravity vibe from this show? Does anyone else wish they'd kept DG on the air instead of this one?
Yes!
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:36 AM   #36
wprager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
Yes!
Is that one "yes" or two?
Old 08-05-2014, 12:34 PM   #37
thewebgal

We missed the time slot change, went to watch the show over the weekend and had some police show or something instead ... so we missed the July 30th episode -
We've watched all of them previous - guess its time to go hunt that missing episode down "somewhere" before the next episode airs ...
thewebgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:12 PM   #38
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewebgal View Post
We missed the time slot change, went to watch the show over the weekend and had some police show or something instead ... so we missed the July 30th episode -
Curiosity makes me ask... what do you use to record? Not a DVR? Surely not a VCR? Don't all DVRs have guide updates?

Sorry... just curious.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:11 AM   #39
KyleLC
Unregistered User

TC CLUB MEMBER
+1
KyleLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:14 AM   #40
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Curiosity makes me ask... what do you use to record? Not a DVR? Surely not a VCR? Don't all DVRs have guide updates?

Sorry... just curious.
CBS did a timeslot change of Extant and Criminal Minds, my Roamio didn't get the change in time and recorded Criminal Minds, so the guide data was wrong for a lot of folks.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:16 PM   #41
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
CBS did a timeslot change of Extant and Criminal Minds, my Roamio didn't get the change in time and recorded Criminal Minds, so the guide data was wrong for a lot of folks.
That's odd. CBS announced the change a week in advance. I had dbl-checked several days before, and it was set. I'm surprised some got it and some didn't.

Sorry to hear about the missed recordings for those who didn't get it.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:44 PM   #42
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
That's odd. CBS announced the change a week in advance. I had dbl-checked several days before, and it was set. I'm surprised some got it and some didn't.

I was going to watch it delayed 30 minutes and when I saw it was the wrong show I did a quick check and then recorded what my guide data said was going to be CM, and was able to watch, but that would have been annoying if I hadn't checked until Friday.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:43 AM   #43
JohnS-MI

Quote:

Sorry... just curious.
No. I have a Tivo now, but I used to have an LG 3410A. Decent DVR until it died, but its guide was a subchannel on analog TV (TVGOS, version 7). When analog TV died, the guide died. I spent a couple of years setting program as time and channel before it died completely.

I've also had Tivo miss late changes, although mine caught this one well ahead of time.
JohnS-MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:31 AM   #44
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

Avoiding spoilers, but this seemed like a good time to ask...

Is this show good? I have them all recorded but was skeptical how it was going to turn out. Afraid it was going to be another Under the Dome.

Bachelorhood: Life, liberty, and the happiness of pursuit.

Xbox Live: ClutchBrake
ClutchBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:41 AM   #45
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchBrake View Post
Avoiding spoilers, but this seemed like a good time to ask... Is this show good? I have them all recorded but was skeptical how it was going to turn out. Afraid it was going to be another Under the Dome.
I haven't seen the most recent episode yet, but I'm really enjoying it so far. People seem pretty unenthused about it, but it's probably one of my favorite new shows this season. I enjoy it more than The Leftovers, Dominion, or The Last Ship, but it's not as good as The Strain. Much better than Under the Dome, in my opinion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
danterner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:49 AM   #46
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
I enjoy it more than The Leftovers, Dominion, or The Last Ship, but it's not as good as The Strain.
I would rank it behind all those shows, but I still watch it (Dominion and Last Ship being guilty pleasures, but at least pleasures). Extant is kinda meh, but I still hope it will turn into something. And if it doesn't, at least it's in the summer, when it isn't stealing a slot away from something else I could be spending that time watching. If this were fall, I would have dropped it by now.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:42 AM   #47
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

Thanks, guys. I'm going to continue to let it build up and see what you think once it is over.

Bachelorhood: Life, liberty, and the happiness of pursuit.

Xbox Live: ClutchBrake
ClutchBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:47 AM   #48
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchBrake View Post
Avoiding spoilers, but this seemed like a good time to ask...
Is this show good? I have them all recorded but was skeptical how it was going to turn out. Afraid it was going to be another Under the Dome.
I just don't know, there's something missing and I can't put my finger on it, it's certainly better than UtD, I bailed end of S1 for that, but I think the issue is Halle Berry.

I keep wanting to like it, but it just keeps reminding me that it's a pale version of Defying Gravity.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:53 AM   #49
lew

Quote:

Are you sure the change was announced a week in advance.
I read the announcement 2 or 3 days before the change. I forced 2 connections. The second one got the change, around 26 hours before the show aired.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:56 AM   #50
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
Are you sure the change was announced a week in advance.
I read the announcement 2 or 3 days before the change. I forced 2 connections. The second one got the change, around 26 hours before the show aired.
I know I got the change on my TiVo days before. I think it was the preceding weekend, but I'm not sure.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:44 AM   #51
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I would rank it behind all those shows, but I still watch it (Dominion and Last Ship being guilty pleasures, but at least pleasures). Extant is kinda meh, but I still hope it will turn into something. And if it doesn't, at least it's in the summer, when it isn't stealing a slot away from something else I could be spending that time watching. If this were fall, I would have dropped it by now.
That's pretty much how I feel. If this were fall, I would probably stop watching. As it is, I'm on the cusp. When I'd rather watch a rerun of Hogan's Heroes on METv than watch this show, that tells me something. Still, this still has the potential to get better and more interesting (I'm up to date), so I'll give it a week or two more.

Steve
Old 08-08-2014, 01:57 PM   #52
stellie93

Actually I like this pretty well. I like the little futuristic stuff they throw in, like the way they knocked her out when they took her in the hospital, or them sitting in the back seat of the car while they drive somewhere. It's summer--I'm easy to please.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:32 PM   #53
Howie
Out of Pocket

Am I going to get chastised if I say I don't think it's all that good? I just binged about 5 eps and I wasn't all that impressed. I'm caught up now, and will continue to watch, but I don't know why. Halle looks nice, maybe that's it.
Howie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:42 PM   #54
wprager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie View Post
Am I going to get chastised if I say I don't think it's all that good? I just binged about 5 eps and I wasn't all that impressed. I'm caught up now, and will continue to watch, but I don't know why. Halle looks nice, maybe that's it.
No,not chastised, just some mild agreement. Its SciFi,or claims to be, so we feel compelled to watch. But it's not all that good.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:17 AM   #55
cheesesteak
Meh.

It's not bad. Not great but definitely watchable.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:43 AM   #56
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by wprager View Post
No,not chastised, just some mild agreement. Its SciFi,or claims to be, so we feel compelled to watch. But it's not all that good.
It is SciFi and why does that make us compelled to watch? Certainly not me.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:14 AM   #57
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
It's not bad. Not great but definitely watchable.
I'm in that boat. I'm still watching.

Side note: The Yasumoto lab buildings got me curious and I stumbled across http://www.seeing-stars.com/Locations/Extant.shtml. Great stuff!
cwerdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 12:52 PM   #58
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
It started off as sci-fi but seems to be veering further and further away from it towards conspiracy show where they don't tell you anything and keep adding more mystery.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 01:28 PM   #59
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwerdna View Post
Side note: The Yasumoto lab buildings got me curious and I stumbled across http://www.seeing-stars.com/Locations/Extant.shtml. Great stuff!
You can actually see the building from US 101 if you're driving through Downtown.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/45...3175142cbe4a41

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:20 PM   #60
wprager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
My wife and I - we - like sci-fi, and there's precious little of it on.