Forum Jump

Old 08-04-2014, 12:53 PM   #31
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

Nope
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 03:45 PM   #32
brwarning

I am lucky live in the Midwest and still can get east coast west cost and Chicago on directv. All my Sunday recordings are done on the west coast channels.
brwarning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 03:58 PM   #33
MScottC

Really simple folks... especially as DVRs are getting more storage and more tuners... Block record CBS from 7pm till 12:30am on Sunday nights... you won't lose a thing.
MScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 04:10 PM   #34
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MScottC View Post
Really simple folks... especially as DVRs are getting more storage and more tuners... Block record CBS from 7pm till 12:30am on Sunday nights... you won't lose a thing.
That is what i used to do with VCRs in the 20th century and with my TiVos years ago. But it's been a long time since I've regularly watched a CBS show on Sunday night. So i have not needed to deal with this issue in awhile.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 04:37 PM   #35
moedaman

CBS has no regard for over-runs. Why even bother having a three hour prime time block on the Sundays they have NFL double headers. It never ends on time and if the game runs short, pad it with a post game show. They could rotate The Good Wife and The Mentalist on every other double header Sunday. They only have 22 - 24 episodes a year anyway and have reruns in the middle of the season, so this way CBS would actually do something viewer friendly. My wife watches The Mentalist and I've added an hour to the Season Pass.

CBS even has this problem during the NCAA basketball tournament. Fox broadcasts a lot of sports too and never seems to have this problem.
moedaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:07 PM   #36
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
And if they ALL did it?
I would go back to Netflix (probably including DVDs).

I say this as someone who WILLINGLY sometimes puts up with minimal commercials on On Demand. That's only because I haven't put in a bigger hard drive.. I guess I should..
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:15 PM   #37
Fl_Gulfer
Tivo's R Us

We were bummed that we missed the last 6 min. of Unforgettable.
DirecTV Genie
2 DirecTV HR24 HD DVR
Fl_Gulfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:21 AM   #38
JohnS-MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl_Gulfer View Post
We were bummed that we missed the last 6 min. of Unforgettable.
The last 6 min of Unforgettable were on my Reckless recording, but I had to watch the last 6 min of Reckless on cbs.com. At least they let me see them Monday without validation. However, just a TERRIBLE commercial flurry when I tried to watch just the last few minutes; I think I had to watch all the commercials in the segments I skipped over, with no indication of how many minutes of commercial remained before the segment would start.
JohnS-MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:21 AM   #39
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
The problem with this, is it's like watching your old VCR. You're forced to watch these shows in order in a block. I don't always want to watch 60 Minutes, then The Amazing Race then, The Good Wife, and so forth in that order. So I'd prefer to just pad. I have 5 tuners so padding is not a huge deal anymore.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:26 AM   #40
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by moedaman View Post
CBS has no regard for over-runs. Why even bother having a three hour prime time block on the Sundays they have NFL double headers. It never ends on time and if the game runs short, pad it with a post game show. They could rotate The Good Wife and The Mentalist on every other double header Sunday. They only have 22 - 24 episodes a year anyway and have reruns in the middle of the season, so this way CBS would actually do something viewer friendly. My wife watches The Mentalist and I've added an hour to the Season Pass.

CBS even has this problem during the NCAA basketball tournament. Fox broadcasts a lot of sports too and never seems to have this problem.
They have no regard, because they make more money HAVING overruns. I think it's pretty clear or they'd have fixed it by now. Ratings are better when the games overrun into their Prime Time schedule.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:30 AM   #41
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I would go back to Netflix (probably including DVDs).

I say this as someone who WILLINGLY sometimes puts up with minimal commercials on On Demand. That's only because I haven't put in a bigger hard drive.. I guess I should..
I'm not doubting your word, but I wonder if the majority of people who bluster on about this would actually follow through on it or just accept it as it was. How many of us stopped watching cable channels that used to be commercial free when they started adding commercials? Very few apparently. As long as there's something compelling to watch, people will put up with commercials. At least I think that's true for the next 10 years, until the network model completely changes. I don't think that's going to happen as fast as some think.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:50 AM   #42
allan
I survived the Mayan

Quote:
I'm not doubting your word, but I wonder if the majority of people who bluster on about this would actually follow through on it or just accept it as it was. How many of us stopped watching cable channels that used to be commercial free when they started adding commercials? Very few apparently. As long as there's something compelling to watch, people will put up with commercials. At least I think that's true for the next 10 years, until the network model completely changes. I don't think that's going to happen as fast as some think.
Speaking for myself, by the time I had cable, they'd already "ruined" it with commercials, so it was no different from what I was used to.

As for putting up with commercials, while I tune out most ads, I can't stand the ones that shout at me in an attempt to get my attention, and there seems to be at least one in every commercial break! More important, there are more options. My DVR is only one, and not even the best, since the ads still interrupt the show until I can FF past them. All things being equal, I enjoy watching a show on Netflix more than on regular TV. As things stand now, I don't plan to quit regular TV, but if they take away my ability to FF past annoyances, that would likely push me over the edge.

BEEP
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:14 AM   #43
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS-MI View Post
...I had to watch the last 6 min...on cbs.com...a TERRIBLE commercial flurry when I tried to watch just the last few minutes...with no indication of how many minutes of commercial remained before the segment would start.
i'm sure cbs is just fine with the visits to the site the next day, and all the forced commercial views.
Quote:
The problem with this, is it's like watching your old VCR. You're forced to watch these shows in order in a block. I don't always want to watch 60 Minutes, then The Amazing Race then, The Good Wife, and so forth in that order.
if you don't pad every show or record in a block, you have to figure which nights are airing new shows, which are repeats, or which shows are taking a night off.

alerts aren't a solution, either. if i'm in the theater watching a movie, my phone is silenced or off, and i won't know until it's too late.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:22 AM   #44
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
i'm sure cbs is just fine with the visits to the site the next day, and all the forced commercial views.

if you don't pad every show or record in a block, you have to figure which nights are airing new shows, which are repeats, or which shows are taking a night off.

alerts aren't a solution, either. if i'm in the theater watching a movie, my phone is silenced or off, and i won't know until it's too late.
I'd rather pad each show rather than a block. I don't watch all the shows in the block anyway, so it wouldn't make sense. This is especially true now that TAR is no longer on Sunday nights. I will only watch 60 Minutes and The Good Wife.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:47 AM   #45
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
They have no regard, because they make more money HAVING overruns. I think it's pretty clear or they'd have fixed it by now. Ratings are better when the games overrun into their Prime Time schedule.
There is a point (I want to say 7:30 Eastern) after which the overrun actually counts as a primetime show for ratings purposes.

As for why CBS doesn't do what Fox does and have a postgame show until 8:00 on its doubleheader days; Fox gets away with it because it doesn't program anything it considers important (pause for the Bob's Burgers fans that will take exception to this) between 7 and 8 on Sundays, whereas CBS has 60 Minutes, which I doubt they will pre-empt 9-10 times a year (and then have to explain to everybody in the west why it isn't on that week); any other solution (e.g. starting it at 8:00 on doubleheader days) means either running the entire primetime lineup until midnight or shuffling the rest of the Sunday schedule by pre-empting another show.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:06 AM   #46
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
There's a whole lot that you'll lose:
Individually accessible recordings in their own folders.
Guide data
Recording space
Time, when you have to dig through a 5.5 hour recording vcr style in order to watch a specific program
etc.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:27 AM   #47
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
There is a point (I want to say 7:30 Eastern) after which the overrun actually counts as a primetime show for ratings purposes.

As for why CBS doesn't do what Fox does and have a postgame show until 8:00 on its doubleheader days; Fox gets away with it because it doesn't program anything it considers important (pause for the Bob's Burgers fans that will take exception to this) between 7 and 8 on Sundays, whereas CBS has 60 Minutes, which I doubt they will pre-empt 9-10 times a year (and then have to explain to everybody in the west why it isn't on that week); any other solution (e.g. starting it at 8:00 on doubleheader days) means either running the entire primetime lineup until midnight or shuffling the rest of the Sunday schedule by pre-empting another show.
This is exactly true. But I've always wondered this...being the NFL is such a ratings bonanza, if CBS, during the NFL season wouldn't be better off forgoing their 7-8 showing and just giving us a highlights package until 8 o'clock. Would the highlights get better ratings than 60 Minutes? Or say their current 10PM show and moving everything back an hour and getting rid of whatever they currently have at 10PM? Of course, not sure what they would do in the West.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:30 PM   #48
mattack

Quote:
I'm not doubting your word, but I wonder if the majority of people who bluster on about this would actually follow through on it or just accept it as it was. How many of us stopped watching cable channels that used to be commercial free when they started adding commercials?
I didn't stop watching any, since currently I skip the commercials (except for the relatively infrequent in terms of how much I watch On Demand usage, as I said -- though even that I sometimes try to record to my other hard drive/DVD recorder.. though I see more and more of that turns on Macrovision)..

If everything had unskippable commercials is when I'd go to netflix/whatever.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:37 AM   #49
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
The problem with this, is it's like watching your old VCR. You're forced to watch these shows in order in a block. I don't always want to watch 60 Minutes, then The Amazing Race then, The Good Wife, and so forth in that order. So I'd prefer to just pad. I have 5 tuners so padding is not a huge deal anymore.
I never had to do that when I used VCRs in the 20th century. You could still FF or Rew to a position on the tape. To watch a show that was on later before an earlier one. I did it many times back then in situations like this. I was never forced to watched shows in order in a block. I guess if the VCR didn't have the capability of Fast Forwarding or Rewinding?
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:19 AM   #50
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I didn't stop watching any, since currently I skip the commercials (except for the relatively infrequent in terms of how much I watch On Demand usage, as I said -- though even that I sometimes try to record to my other hard drive/DVD recorder.. though I see more and more of that turns on Macrovision)..

If everything had unskippable commercials is when I'd go to netflix/whatever.
I think, if this trend continues, it's a matter of time before the networks insist that Netflix inserts commercials in their shows (and of course Netflix will get a cut of that).
Old 08-06-2014, 12:32 PM   #51
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
This is exactly true. But I've always wondered this...being the NFL is such a ratings bonanza, if CBS, during the NFL season wouldn't be better off forgoing their 7-8 showing and just giving us a highlights package until 8 o'clock. Would the highlights get better ratings than 60 Minutes? Or say their current 10PM show and moving everything back an hour and getting rid of whatever they currently have at 10PM? Of course, not sure what they would do in the West.
You mean pre-empting 60 Minutes on NFL doubleheader days? I don't see CBS News liking that very much, although I don't see any of the current hosts being willing to leave the show over it. (Dan Rather, almost certainly; Mike Wallace and Harry Reasoner probably would have joined him.)

If CBS was to do this, the CBS affiliates in the west would just air local programming in that hour, the way the Fox affiliates do. (Fox tried "West-only programming," including burnoffs of new episodes of 'Til Death, for a few years, especially when NFL coverage only ran until 7:30, but it didn't work out.)
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:30 PM   #52
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
You mean pre-empting 60 Minutes on NFL doubleheader days? I don't see CBS News liking that very much, although I don't see any of the current hosts being willing to leave the show over it. (Dan Rather, almost certainly; Mike Wallace and Harry Reasoner probably would have joined him.)

If CBS was to do this, the CBS affiliates in the west would just air local programming in that hour, the way the Fox affiliates do. (Fox tried "West-only programming," including burnoffs of new episodes of 'Til Death, for a few years, especially when NFL coverage only ran until 7:30, but it didn't work out.)
In this day and age, with so many outlets for news, I honestly don't think CBS News has the clout they used to have. If corporate decided that's what they were going to do, they'd have to play along. It really amounts to 8 weeks and perhaps a playoff game or two (although I think they run reruns during playoff season, not sure). Plus throw in a week or so during Christmas season and it really isn't that many weeks. They could just extend the season for 60 Minutes into June or something like that. The other option would be to broadcast 60 Minutes at 8, and two dramas at 9 and 10 and forego one hour of Primetime (which would essentially wind up as NFL coverage anyway, at higher ad rates). IRC, last year, on double header days, since those games start now at 4:30, they moved the whole schedule back 30 minutes anyway. Do people actually stay up until 11:30 to watch Prime Time TV on nights before a work day?
Old 08-07-2014, 08:19 AM   #53
eddyj

And it looks like they are doing away with the email reminders, which was the only thing that made these delays manageable: http://www.cbs.com/eye-lerts/

Supposedly the app will notify you now, but it gets horrible reviews, and I saw no way to customize what notifications it sends, so we'll have to see.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:33 AM   #54
JohnS-MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyj View Post
And it looks like they are doing away with the email reminders, which was the only thing that made these delays manageable: http://www.cbs.com/eye-lerts/

Supposedly the app will notify you now, but it gets horrible reviews, and I saw no way to customize what notifications it sends, so we'll have to see.
Since I have a Dumb PhoneŽ, I signed up (long ago) for the email notification and have never received a single one. When I try to sign up again, it tells me I am already signed up -- fine, then tell me when a show runs over, damn it.

The facebook page for the first show you actually want to see works pretty well. Or, see if the clock ticks (from 60 Minutes) at 7 PM Eastern. If not, there is an overrun. When the clock tics, you know the pad.
JohnS-MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:02 PM   #55
cherry ghost

Be prepared to pad again this week.
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:17 PM   #56
MonsterJoe
$('.electric').slide

Not a padding issue, but moving shows around to accommodate preseason football is just about the most ridiculous thing about TV ever.

and I love football.
MonsterJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 02:05 PM   #57
TonyD79

Quote:
You will find that your genie (as with all directv DVRs) uses only one tuner for overlaps on the same channel. If you record all the CBS shows and pad them, only one tuner will be tuned to CBS. The recording of that channel is shared. It makes the five tuners act like more in some situations.

The extra tuners come in handy for conflicts with other channels.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:22 PM   #58
eddyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
You will find that your genie (as with all directv DVRs) uses only one tuner for overlaps on the same channel. If you record all the CBS shows and pad them, only one tuner will be tuned to CBS. The recording of that channel is shared. It makes the five tuners act like more in some situations.

The extra tuners come in handy for conflicts with other channels.
That's why I just pad everything Sunday on CBS by an hour each and be done. But I have still missed stuff, once in a while.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:19 PM   #59
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyj View Post

They are doing away with email reminders, AND with the txt messages. Both of which I used.

Your only options are social media (Facebook or Twitter), or an iOS App. I use fb, but I don't live on it, and I'm 100% Android.

I really don't care, as I only watch The Mentalist, and being the last Sunday show, it's easy to pad +1 hour. But this seems like a step back for CBS viewers, and ONLY a good thing if you're CBS, and want more fb likes, or iOS App users.

astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:24 PM   #60
eddyj

And the iOS app sends notifications for other stuff, and there does not seem to be a way to tell it which ones to give you. I suspect I will be deleting it soon and continue just padding one hour.