TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-30-2014, 11:22 AM   #31
Fool Me Twice
<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

They showed the guy laying around camp for what seemed like days, then the girl said something to him like "You need to slow down." Which made me think he had probably been wearing himself out hauling firewood or something which they never showed.

Then there was her idea to stack stones against the side walls and lean them against the structure. When he built a basic fire reflector out of rocks they tried to make it seem like that was her idea, but it wasn't. Her idea was stupid.
Fool Me Twice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:00 PM   #32
pmyers

If I ever went on this show, I'd love to have a vegetarian as a partner. I'd get to eat anything I found! lol

I did see in that episode, the bananas that somebody was talking about. It was a huge bunch with had to be a hundred bananas on there.
pmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:12 PM   #33
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
I'd guess one of the first things they did when they picked their campsite was toss some large leaves out to catch rain and after that drinking water was the least of their problems.
The question was not whether I could guess where they might have gotten drinking water. It was whether it was shown at all on the episode.

I could guess all of the techniques people might use to survive in a given location, but that does not mean I do not want to see what people actually do.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:16 PM   #34
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fool Me Twice View Post
Then there was her idea to stack stones against the side walls and lean them against the structure. When he built a basic fire reflector out of rocks they tried to make it seem like that was her idea, but it wasn't. Her idea was stupid.
It was interesting how at the beginning she said that she had no doubt that she could have survived the 21 days on her own. Then, near the end, she said how Tom's support really helped her get through it.

I did not see any images of them sharing body heat. Every time it showed their shelter, they were lying or sitting and barely touching each other at all. One time it showed Tom rubbing Lisa's back with his hand.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:18 PM   #35
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
If I ever went on this show, I'd love to have a vegetarian as a partner. I'd get to eat anything I found! lol

I did see in that episode, the bananas that somebody was talking about. It was a huge bunch with had to be a hundred bananas on there.
So, you would not "find" any bananas if you had a vegetarian as a partner?
Old 08-05-2014, 09:30 AM   #36
philw1776

Note to self: Avoid whiney self absorbed high maintenance CA girls

Not that I'm enamored with the in your face Jersey style personality. They're likely Jets fans.
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:06 PM   #37
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post

Not that I'm enamored with the in your face Jersey style personality. They're likely Jets fans.
It was funny how as soon as Corinne tapped out, Chris was able to start a fire and caught a nice crab. Too bad Corinne had not brought a firestarter instead of a pot -- it seemed drinking water was easy to come by without boiling it, and the only time the pot got used was for the crab after Corinne was gone.

Chris was pretty tough to stick things out by himself, but it did seem like their location was among the easier ones we've seen on the show.

It was odd how Chris seemed surprised that he had to swim out to the boat at the end. In all the other episodes, the contestants somehow were informed that they had to build a raft or whatever to get to the pickup boat. Was it on the map and he missed it? Or did the producers screw up?
Old 08-06-2014, 08:51 AM   #38
Bob Coxner

Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post

How did she ever get picked for the show? You could see almost from the first minute that there was no way she was going to make it to the end.
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:56 AM   #39
squint

Maybe it's harder for them to find women for this show so they aren't as picky?
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:02 AM   #40
philw1776

She could kick ass in obstacle course athletic events but had negative right stuff mentality for enduring harsh conditions, minimal survival skills (could weave), and an attitude the size of California. It was a good choice for our entertainment. She's lucky she didn't "accidentally" choke on a palm frond at night when the cameras were away.

Jersey guy could get on my nerves but the very least I could do would be to cooperate with a partner who did know what he was doing and was willing to work his tail off.
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:51 AM   #41
2004raptor

Is this season over? I tried to find a guide of upcoming episodes but didn't see any????
2004raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:19 PM   #42
Ment

yes I believe this concludes season 3. Don't know why the last two seasons were so short.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:27 PM   #43
Azlen

Thetvdb.com lists a clip show on the 17th and has that as the last show of the season.
I would guess the seasons are short because it's a difficult show to produce. Casting, scouting, filming and editing etc take up a great deal of time.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:38 PM   #44
rimler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
How did she ever get picked for the show? You could see almost from the first minute that there was no way she was going to make it to the end.
I think you answered your own question.
rimler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 05:12 AM   #45
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

The show this week was interesting. The duct tape wasn't a terrible idea, but not a substitute for fire. If they allowed 3 items I think they would always be a machete, fire starter, and duct tape.

As for the guy tapping out so soon, I have to wonder how much of his illness was nicotine withdrawal. I have known people who got physically ill when they quit. Seems like he should have recovered once he got some rest.

Finding the pineapples should have been a tremendous boon. I wonder if she went back and got more after he left.

meh
heySkippy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:10 AM   #46
john4200

Quote:
Finding the pineapples should have been a tremendous boon. I wonder if she went back and got more after he left.
I doubt she went back. It seemed like she just sat around camp for two weeks, except for getting water.

I wonder how many applicants the producers of the show get to choose from. Amanda was another strange one. How can someone who claims to be so modest about her body, and who "freaks out" at night when her partner accidently brushes her with his elbow or whatever, possibly think going on this show is a good idea?

The duct tape was an interesting twist. But it should never be first or second choice, I think. 1st and 2nd should always be a blade and a fire starter.

I wonder if they would let the participants bring a blade that has built-in rough steel and something to strike it with. I can't remember exactly where, but I am sure I have seen something like a hunter's knife that had a rough patch of steel near the handle, and something that you could pull out of the handle to strike a spark.

Then, a blade with a firestarter could be one item, and you could choose a metal pot (my preference) or duct tape for the second item.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:41 PM   #47
Jeeters
Registered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
It was odd how Chris seemed surprised that he had to swim out to the boat at the end. In all the other episodes, the contestants somehow were informed that they had to build a raft or whatever to get to the pickup boat. Was it on the map and he missed it? Or did the producers screw up?
I realize this was asked over a month ago, but the clip show that aired a couple weeks ago addressed it. The boat was unable to get close to shore because high winds were causing rough waters and they were afraid of the boat hitting the coral reef. So he was forced to swim a mile and half (i think) out to the boat.
Jeeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 02:37 PM   #48
john4200

The Botswana episode was a tough one.

They never said exactly what happened to Ashley. I thought she showed most of the signs of being poisoned by something she ate or drank, but she showed most of the symptoms before she ate or drank anything! Maybe it was something she ate or drank just before the contest started.

Michael seemed like he was doing well, and when he found that pot, I thought he was going to make it. But it seemed like he was not motivated enough to tough it out alone. Maybe if he found the pot earlier he would have been able to make it.

I don't recall anyone finding a nice nice long wooden staff and sharpening the end to make a hand spear. That would have been one of the first things I did with all the animals around.

This episode was another case of where you really need 3 items to do well -- blade, pot, and firestarter. Although with a steel blade, he might have been able to find some flint and strike a spark with flint and steel. So, even though he lucked out and found a pot, it probably would have been a better choice to bring a pot instead of the firestarter in this case. Since they apparently get to know their location before they make their choices, I think that for arid climates they should almost always go with a pot instead of a firestarter.

I was looking around for what I would bring if I could have my top two choices, and I saw a nice hatchet (throwable) with a ferrocerium rod that fits into the handle, and also a combination pot and wood-burning stove. I'm not sure if they allow such complicated items to count as a single item, but that would be my preference if allowed.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BDKZCB8/...dp_o_pd_nS_ttl

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IDEM9LS/...dp_o_pC_nS_ttl
Old 09-16-2014, 03:45 PM   #49
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

We wondered by they didn't dig a hole and try to get filtered water that way.

meh
Old 09-16-2014, 04:15 PM   #50
john4200

Quote:
We wondered by they didn't dig a hole and try to get filtered water that way.
That seems to work in rainy climates, but I suspect it does not work well in arid climates. I don't recall anyone doing that in previous African episodes.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:19 PM   #51
MNoelH
McGruber

TC CLUB MEMBER
I was amazed that these two people had lower PSRs (or whatever that rating system is called) and had to deal with that location. Their ratings were the lowest we've seen and they had to deal with no water source and all those animals at night which made sleep close to impossible.

I was impressed with the guy. It's gotta be tough to do that alone - especially with no sleep - that makes for a lot of hours with only your thoughts.

I'm not sure if the girl was really in that much pain. The "Ow" she screamed out when I think they pricked her finger made me think she was being overly dramatic, but she also seemed pretty tough until she went down. (I certainly shouldn't be criticizing - there's no way I'd be able to last a day. My tenderfootedness would disable me immediately - my fairness in that blazing sun would blister me within an hour... and that's all before any survivory stuff comes into play.)
Old 09-16-2014, 11:57 PM   #52
Jeff_in_Bklyn

I was surprised Michael didn't eat the frog!
Jeff_in_Bklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:18 AM   #53
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_Bklyn View Post
I was surprised Michael didn't eat the frog!
I was wondering about that myself. Was it because of the emotional value of the creature, or because it was not edible?

It looked more like a toad than a frog to me, but I did not get a good look at it. I know some toads are not suitable for eating.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:07 PM   #54
john4200

The Brazil episode was a lot different than anything they've shown before. I've never seen an environment like that -- sand dunes but with abundant pools of water.

That Honora was something else. She kept sitting or lying out in the sun for hours on end and she called Matt stupid? Is mania a symptom of sunstroke? I could hardly believe it when she told Matt he was fat, stupid, lazy, and stinky. It wasn't like he was causing her any trouble. He appeared to build the shelter himself (except for the palm leaves she carried) and he did not take any food or water from her, so there seemed little reason for her to be so upset with him.

The funny thing is that being fat and not exerting himself too much was probably a big survival advantage that he had over her. His body was able to burn fat for energy, and the extra fat probably helped on the cold nights. And he was smart enough to not overexert himself in the sun during the day. He just sat in his hole, ate his cactus per day, drank his untreated water, and waited. I kept thinking "the Dude abides". Actually, that would have been a good response for Matt to give to Honora when she was insulting him.

When I heard that Matt was a vegan, I immediately lowered my opinion of him and did not expect him to complete the 21 days. But he proved me wrong. Tough dude!

I was surprised they never tried to build a fire during the whole time. It might have at least helped the cold nights and maybe to keep the bugs away. Also, Honora might have boiled her water instead of sitting out in the sun with the silly magnifying glass.

I'm not sure if her apology was sincere. I have the feeling the producer or one of the camera people whispered to her, hey, you are going to look like a major ahole on the show if you don't apologize to the guy.

Last edited by john4200 : 09-22-2014 at 10:59 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:46 AM   #55
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

We wondered about the lack of fire and speculated that the constant wind might have been the reason. Without any rocks or other materials to make a windbreak it might have been blown all over the place.

I had to laugh at Honora and her magnifying glass. What a wackadoodle. Matt was a good guy. He gets it.

meh
Old 09-23-2014, 07:54 AM   #56
Bob Coxner

Although she could, with patience, possibly start a fire with her stupid magnifying glass, I think there was a serious lack of firewood. I think the contestants are told where they're going, so she may have already known about the firewood scarcity and didn't go for a firestarter.

Drinking untreated water in that location was probably much less risky that everywhere else they've filmed. There were very few, if any, land animals around to pollute it. The birds that were there didn't appear to be aquatic, so they wouldn't be fouling it either. The girl was using UV rays to disinfect her water, but the ground water was very shallow and still so the sun was doing the same thing to it already.
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:01 AM   #57
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

It sure was a beautiful landscape, but wow what a horrible place to try to survive.

meh
Old 09-23-2014, 10:33 AM   #58
john4200

Quote:
I had to laugh at Honora and her magnifying glass. What a wackadoodle.
I was laughing when she was crouched in a fetal position and crying "I need some magnesium".
Old 09-23-2014, 10:36 AM   #59
john4200

Quote:
Although she could, with patience, possibly start a fire with her stupid magnifying glass, I think there was a serious lack of firewood.
The frame of the shelter Matt built was made of moderately sized pieces of wood that looked like they might burn. So there was firewood somewhere around. Maybe not enough to keep a fire going constantly, but I would have expected them to make one at least for a while.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:42 PM   #60
rimler

Thumbs up

Quote:
The girl was using UV rays to disinfect her water, but the ground water was very shallow and still so the sun was doing the same thing to it already.
Aside from asking ourselves "will that really work?" our next thought, when watching the show, was, is that really all that different from the sun, at the top of the water source? I've never heard of that technique before.

Quote:
It sure was a beautiful landscape, but wow what a horrible place to try to survive.
I think it would be easier, at least for the 21 days. A lack of animals would really help, and it seemed easy to get around. I always cringed seeing barefoot people walking through mud/thorns/leaves/rivers/jungle. Here, it's just sand. As long as you're smart enough to stay out of the sun, I'd think this area would be one of the easier locations.

Especially when you just happen to "find" a cup for the water. That seemed highly...lucky...to me.

That girl was kooky. I know she wasn't at her best due to dehydration, but she was really over the top in her attitude and not a good survivalist. Loved Matt's "whatever dude" attitude though. Just sat there and took it.
rimler is offline   Reply With Quote