TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-25-2014, 12:20 PM   #61
gweempose

We watched the first episode of Shameless last night. Excellent pilot! I can see my wife and I cruising through all four seasons very quickly.
(3) Minis

gweempose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:13 AM   #62
danielhart
Nerp Nerp

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
We watched the first episode of Shameless last night. Excellent pilot! I can see my wife and I cruising through all four seasons very quickly.
When you are done with that here is a suggestion no one has made yet. It's made for binge watching if you haven't seen it:

Sons of Anarchy.

Someone else also mentioned the Fargo TV series. I was expecting to hate it but it turned out to be pretty awesome.

If you do Deadwood make sure and use closed captioning.

And yeah Ray Donovan is worth a watch simply for Jon Voight if nothing else. He is fantastic in it.
danielhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 04:04 PM   #63
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil View Post
Plus he's a crime-solving consultant for the FBI and not a crime-solving consultant for the police department. Plus his caretaker/assistant is a man not a woman, his law enforcement boss vice versa, the comic sidekick is a prosecutor rather than a police lieutenant. Instead of a haunting dead wife he has hallucinations of a former (partly imaginary) lover. His reasons for not taking his medications for his condition are different.
I liked Monk just fine, though more so with the original female lead, but Monk ain't Perception and Perception ain't Monk.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:55 PM   #64
DUDE_NJX

I've been binge watching American Horror Story this month. Each season is totally different, so it stays fresh.
DUDE_NJX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:32 PM   #65
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUDE_NJX View Post

I've been binge watching American Horror Story this month. Each season is totally different, so it stays fresh.
I've watched them all and really enjoy it. The quality of the acting is what sets it apart from a lot of other shows. Jessica Lange is simply phenomenal!
(3) Minis

Old 07-29-2014, 04:36 PM   #66
wprager

Ally McBeal is on Netflix. If you like quirky characters, this show is full of them.

The Wonder Years is also on Netflix. Although depending on the age of your kids you may want to watch that as a family.

Torchwood hasn't been mentioned; other than the last season it was very good.

Luther is/was excellent, as were many other BBC shows (I think there is a separate thread for those).
wprager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 04:42 PM   #67
wprager

Oh, and since The Killing S4 is coming in a couple of days, the first 3 weren't bad (although S1+2 could have taken the cue from Broadchurch, which finished in 8 episodes).
wprager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 04:48 PM   #68
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

amc is running "breaking bad" back to back episodes in order beginning sunday august 10th, along with short "bonus content" videos. you should be able to set the sp soon (if not already).

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:23 AM   #69
gweempose

We're halfway through season 2 of Shameless, and still going strong. What a crazy show! Frank Gallagher may very well be the most despicable character in the history of television.
(3) Minis

Old 07-30-2014, 04:54 PM   #70
bacevedo

My wife and I got in to Suits and most recently Royal Pains. White Collar is another good one for us, but it really depends on the type of shows you like.
bacevedo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 11:03 AM   #71
gweempose

Two seasons of Shameless down, two to go. Seasons 3 and 4 are available to stream, so I'll finally be able to take advantage of XFinity VOD on the TiVo.
On my own I've also been binge watching Terriers. I only have four episodes left. Too bad this one got cancelled so fast.
(3) Minis

Old 08-02-2014, 04:32 PM   #72
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
amc is running "breaking bad" back to back episodes in order beginning sunday august 10th, along with short "bonus content" videos. you should be able to set the sp soon (if not already).
This will be the opportunity I take to start watching BB for the first time. I was going to start it on Netflix but I want to spread it out and not have to think about it, so I diaried it to get it on my recording schedule.

I've heard so much about this show being so great that I really look forward to it. Sundays? Yikes - everything is on Sundays. One of my Tivos is always cranking hard on Sundays. Will have to set it up on the other one.

Oh wow, I just saw that they are marathoning it. The way I initially understood it was that they were going to just show an ep each Sunday, from beginning to end.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:26 AM   #73
hummingbird_206

On Friday I started watching Downton Abbey via Amazon Prime streaming. I'm just finishing up Season 2. Wow, great show!
hummingbird_206 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:32 AM   #74
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
This will be the opportunity I take to start watching BB for the first time.
and i thought me and my sister were the only ones who hadn't seen the show. called her yesterday so she could set a sp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird_206 View Post
On Friday I started watching Downton Abbey...great show!

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:02 PM   #75
DavidJL

Quote:
Two seasons of Shameless down, two to go. Seasons 3 and 4 are available to stream, so I'll finally be able to take advantage of XFinity VOD on the TiVo.
On my own I've also been binge watching Terriers. I only have four episodes left. Too bad this one got cancelled so fast.
There's also the original Shameless, 14 seasons available on free Hulu.
DavidJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:21 PM   #76
DavidJL

Quote:
I loved Terriers and I don't know how much this is like Terriers, but Tim Minear who has been involved in writing, directing, producing Terriers, Firefly, Dollhouse, Wonderfalls, X-Files and more also was a big part of a show called The Inside with Rachel Nichols and Adam Baldwin.

The main reason I mention it is it's free for now at least at: http://crazybananapants1.tumblr.com/post/34004088480 Apparently it's a Hannibal like show that was cancelled, but I'm hoping to watch it when I get a chance.
DavidJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:09 AM   #77
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJL View Post

I loved Terriers and I don't know how much this is like Terriers, but Tim Minear who has been involved in writing, directing, producing Terriers, Firefly, Dollhouse, Wonderfalls, X-Files and more also was a big part of a show called The Inside with Rachel Nichols and Adam Baldwin.
I'll have to check it out! I've really enjoyed almost all of Tim Minear's shows.
(3) Minis

Old 08-05-2014, 01:13 PM   #78
brebeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
This will be the opportunity I take to start watching BB for the first time. I was going to start it on Netflix but I want to spread it out and not have to think about it, so I diaried it to get it on my recording schedule.

I've heard so much about this show being so great that I really look forward to it. Sundays? Yikes - everything is on Sundays. One of my Tivos is always cranking hard on Sundays. Will have to set it up on the other one.

Oh wow, I just saw that they are marathoning it. The way I initially understood it was that they were going to just show an ep each Sunday, from beginning to end.
Two words: Watch it!!!
brebeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:41 AM   #79
Bob Coxner

Quote:
Terriers is one the greatest ever "1 season and cancelled" shows. I still miss it.
DirecTV since 1999
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:33 AM   #80
gweempose

We finished season 3 of Shameless and then ran into a road block. For some inexplicable reason, Showtime removed season 4 from Showtime Anytime. It was there just a few days ago, but now it's gone. Since the fourth season isn't out on Blu-ray yet, we were forced to pay $29 so we can stream it from Amazon.
(3) Minis

Old 09-15-2014, 08:00 PM   #81
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

Well having a sick ( cough cough ... if boss is reading this) long weekend, I binged watched a lot of shows now both my premieres are pretty much empty except for some concerts etc..
Finished or caught up to current:

Extant C+
Graceland B-
Dallas C
Masters of Sex B+
Covert Affairs D
Fargo. A
Justified C-
Rush C

Just hope the new season shows are worth it..
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:10 PM   #82
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I'll have to check it out! I've really enjoyed almost all of Tim Minear's shows.
Terriers is fun!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:52 PM   #83
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIVO_GUY_HERE View Post
Justified C-
Don't have too many quibbles with the grades you gave to shows I've watched... except this one is right out. Justified is the best of all the shows you've listed: Fargo is probably up there with it, but as a single 10-episode season comparison is apples and oranges.

On topic: We've been watching Misfits (BBC series) and think it's really great. We're just into season 2 though. Also the only legitimate place to get it that I know of is Hulu Plus: we have a free two-week subscription but I won't sign up for it once that's done since you still have to watch commercials; if I'm paying I don't want to see any commercials.

Warning: there's a good bit of nudity and sex and tons of swearing so if you're not comfortable with that give it a pass.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:17 AM   #84
bengalfreak

Quote:
Well having a sick ( cough cough ... if boss is reading this) long weekend, I binged watched a lot of shows now both my premieres are pretty much empty except for some concerts etc..
Finished or caught up to current:

Extant C+
Graceland B-
Dallas C
Masters of Sex B+
Covert Affairs D
Fargo. A
Justified C-
Rush C

Just hope the new season shows are worth it..
I just watched the Fargo pilot. Please tell me it gets better, no. 1 was boring as heck.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:26 AM   #85
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfreak View Post

I just watched the Fargo pilot. Please tell me it gets better, no. 1 was boring as heck.
It must get better. I've heard nothing but great things from everyone who has seen it.
(3) Minis

Old 09-17-2014, 10:50 AM   #86
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfreak View Post
I thought the pilot was great.

It plays out pretty much same as pilot episode.

But do agree it doesn't move very fast.
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:53 AM   #87
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Fargo moves a bit faster as it goes on.

My wife and I watched all of Luther over the weekend. I enjoyed it a fair amount. It make me think that London has a lot of serial killers.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 04:45 AM   #88
bengalfreak

Quote:
I thought the pilot was great.

It plays out pretty much same as pilot episode.

But do agree it doesn't move very fast.

I am a complete and utter idiot. Turns out the pilot didn't DVR for some reason and I started watching with episode 2. No wonder nothing made any sense. I think I'll try this again.
Old 09-21-2014, 08:14 AM   #89
markymark_ctown

I'd say Fargo was one of the best show I've seen recently. Makes sense that you watched out of order if you thought it was slow
markymark_ctown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 08:22 AM   #90
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

I was a little confused as to how you could think the first episode was slow... there was a LOT that happened there IIRC.