TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-04-2014, 01:11 PM   #1
DeDondeEs

The Killing S04E01

The new episodes went up on Netflix on Friday. Well I am going to be a heathen try doing an episode specific thread for a Netflix show. I have always had a difficult time binge watching The Killing anyways, it is usually too much misery and scenes shot in the cold and rainy Seattle area to keep me awake for more than one ep.

The production/acting seems a little different than what was on AMC. Linden seems a little more vocal and visibly unsettled than previous seasons, but that could be because she shot the other detective. Then Holder seemed to be more dramatic with his girlfriend, it seems to take away from them investigating the crimes.

I'll stick with it though.
DeDondeEs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:57 PM   #2
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Thanks for the heads up! On with the Lindenudity and Holdercursing!

Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 04:29 PM   #3
dwells

I don't know if I'm in the minority but I thought episode 1 was great- much better than I was anticipating. Interesting new case- really looking forward to watching the rest...
dwells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 04:38 PM   #4
Peter000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
I don't know if I'm in the minority...
Just by watching it you're in the minority.

Not dissing you, I'm planning on watching it too.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:35 PM   #5
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

I just finished watching episode 1, and I sure hope this doesn't turn into 6 episodes of Linden crying. That said, I did enjoy it, especially the killer ending.

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:11 PM   #6
wprager

Yeah, that ending was a bit gu-wrenching. Most Hollywood movies/shows don't deal with the collateral damages when a bad, bad guy gets offed. Everyone cheers and goes home happy. But even the bad, bad guy has a daughter who just wants to see her "daddy".

How the hell are they going to work their way out of this?

Did anybody else get the feeling that the Commanding Officer at the school is more to Kyle than meets the eye? She called the father "Brian" very briefly, before she corrected herself and said "Mr Stansbury". Then right after she left the room she went back and looked torn when she saw Kyle crying. Calling it right now (only saw one episode) I think she's Kyle's mother. Not sure how, though. It's a lot easier to make the father the secret parent.
wprager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:41 AM   #7
JohnB1000

I thought this episode was great, but I always loved the show. I am glad they didn't go overboard with the lack of cable network control.

However the whole thing is tinged with a touch of sadness since I know it's going to end so soon.

I also had a hard time remembering the details of what happened last season.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:52 PM   #8
Peter000

I guess, looking at my Neflix queue, that I never finished season 3.

Got some catching up to do.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:06 PM   #9
stellie93

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeDondeEs View Post
it is usually too much misery and scenes shot in the cold and rainy Seattle area to keep me awake for more than one ep.
I noticed it hardly ever rained. Maybe they aren't in Seattle anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB1000 View Post
I also had a hard time remembering the details of what happened last season.
Me too. Those "previously on" things are annoying unless you don't remember what happened last season. I could have used one of those.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 06:49 PM   #10
Peter000

I'm normally not a big fan of the season discussion thread for shows, but I sure wish we had one for this one.

I just binged the whole 6 episodes and don't want to go into each show discussion to discuss the whole season. Guess I'll just head to episode 6's discussion.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:52 AM   #11
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
... Those "previously on" things are annoying unless you don't remember what happened last season. I could have used one of those.
I stopped part way through this episode to rewatch the final episode of last season in order to be prepared to watch this one again.

I also noticed (and did not miss) the lack of the oppressive rainy scenes which just added to the depressing tone of the storylines. But between Linden's and Kyles gut-wrenching weeping and poor little Bethany crying out for her daddy ... wow!

Gotta' rest up for the next episodes ...

getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:19 AM   #12
hairyblue
A good Man

I'm enjoying the latest season, but Linden killing some one (even a murderer) then covering it up...makes me feel dirty. I think she'd have come out better with the truth. And Linden being a detective, knows all the evidence that can be found if some one looks.

Why are there only 6 episodes? Is the show cancelled?

Own 2 Tivo Premieres. OTA
Fired DTV for expensive rates on Sept. 2012
hairyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:10 AM   #13
jebbbz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairyblue View Post
Why are there only 6 episodes? Is the show cancelled?
Alas, yes. It has been on the bubble before but Season 3 on AMC would have been the end but for Netflix intervening to give us a fourth to wrap things up.

(Still, I hope for a flashback Season 2.5 when Linden is off brooding after the Larsen case while Holder and Reddick trade barbs and work a case or two.)
jebbbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:32 AM   #14
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by getreal View Post
I stopped part way through this episode to rewatch the final episode of last season in order to be prepared to watch this one again.
Ha - I did the same thing. I got 10 minutes into this and stopped and went back - I could have used a 'previously on' too.

I have always liked THE KILLING - although some parts have always infuriated me. (for example I was SO happy to be rid of the family from the first 2 seasons).

Linden being so distraught and weepy in this episode seemed out of character to me.

and the cameo of rockstar Patti Smith as the doctor was just weird. she did something similar on Law and Order Criminal Intent because she apparently is friends with Vincent D'Onofrio - but - it was still bizarre.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 01:28 PM   #15
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
... and the cameo of rockstar Patti Smith as the doctor was just weird. she did something similar on Law and Order Criminal Intent because she apparently is friends with Vincent D'Onofrio - but - it was still bizarre.
That was Patti Smith?!! Wow! I thought it was a local civilian who had some brain damage (screwed up eyes) from possibly surviving a bullet to the head in the past, and was given a bit part because they were using part of her story in the storyline. That was an admittedly huge assumption on my part. But Patti Smith? LOL!

And, yes, I know what happens when we "assume".

getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 04:45 PM   #16
Cainebj

yes it was definitely Patti Smith
i saw her name in the opening credits but thought it probably wouldn't be the rock star Patti
- she is in her 60's now something ....
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:59 PM   #17
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wprager View Post
Did anybody else get the feeling that the Commanding Officer at the school is more to Kyle than meets the eye? She called the father "Brian" very briefly, before she corrected herself and said "Mr Stansbury". Then right after she left the room she went back and looked torn when she saw Kyle crying. Calling it right now (only saw one episode) I think she's Kyle's mother. Not sure how, though. It's a lot easier to make the father the secret parent.
Or lover. She was dancing with the boy-toy at the beginning...
Old 08-12-2014, 12:00 AM   #18
wprager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Or lover. She was dancing with the boy-toy at the beginning...
Spoiler:
Hah!

wprager is offline   Reply With Quote