Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-03-2014, 06:02 AM   #31
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGM1138 View Post
Me too! Nobody I knew had a color TV until about 1966. And then, it was one family of someone I went to school with. The first show I saw in color was Bonanza. It was fuzzy, the colors were smeared but it was color!

My dad went to school for TV repair (think of it the same way a lot of us in this generation took IT in school), and even though he really didn't do that for his career he had friends from his time at the school. His friend hooked him up with a refurb color TV in the early 60s, I'd say around '64 or '65 and I remember him fiddling with quite often to try and get it right. My sis and I had 12" B&W TVs in our bedroom, so we watched a lot of B&W in those days.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:04 AM   #32
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Having finally seen the episode, it was pretty clearly about the 1968 Presidential election, not 1968 in general...
The Guide data for the episode mentioned the Czech uprising, but I don't remember it even mentioned. That was a big event that year.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:51 AM   #33
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
The Guide data for the episode mentioned the Czech uprising, but I don't remember it even mentioned. That was a big event that year.
Right, everything they covered was something that had a direct impact on the '68 election.

They probably should have called it "Election: 1968" or something. But clearly that's what they were going for.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:26 AM   #34
midas
I heard that

Even though I was born and raised in Chicago, in June of '68 my parents decided to move to L.A. so I missed the convention. I would have loved to have been there.

But I'm shocked that Daley didn't get more coverage. How can you not love this quote?

Quote:
The policeman isn't there to create disorder; the policeman is there to preserve disorder.
And this is my favorite.

Quote:
Look at our Lords disciples. One denied Him; one doubted Him; one betrayed Him. If our Lord couldn't have perfection, how are you going to have it in city government?

midas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 12:44 PM   #35
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

Quote:
My dad went to school for TV repair (think of it the same way a lot of us in this generation took IT in school), and even though he really didn't do that for his career he had friends from his time at the school. His friend hooked him up with a refurb color TV in the early 60s, I'd say around '64 or '65 and I remember him fiddling with quite often to try and get it right. My sis and I had 12" B&W TVs in our bedroom, so we watched a lot of B&W in those days.
You had TVs in the bedrooms!?! We only 1 TV at a time while I was growing up. I knew one family in the area who had cable. It was called VuMore and had 12 channels. Most from New Orleans and Mobile, AL, because we only had one local station back then.

I never owned a color set until I bought a 19" "portable" tube set (weighed like 200 pounds), when my daughter was born in 1971.

(I had Fun, fun, fun 'til Katrina took my Ti-Vos away)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
RGM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:30 AM   #36
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
You had TVs in the bedrooms!?! We only 1 TV at a time while I was growing up. I knew one family in the area who had cable. It was called VuMore and had 12 channels. Most from New Orleans and Mobile, AL, because we only had one local station back then.

I never owned a color set until I bought a 19" "portable" tube set (weighed like 200 pounds), when my daughter was born in 1971.
To be more accurate, I guess we were both about 12-13 when we got our bedroom TVs (early 70s). My dad bought me a 12" Panny from his buddy who owned a repair shop (which lasted me well into my marriage as our bedroom TV, so it probably made it about 20 years and still worked when we got rid of it). My sis got a Goldstar TV from KMart or one of the cheapo department stores in Brooklyn in those days. There were lots of "offbrand" 12" TVs to be had for about $70 in those days. I am pretty sure Goldstar has since morphed into LG, which is no longer a cheapo TV brand.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:51 AM   #37
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

Quote:
To be more accurate, I guess we were both about 12-13 when we got our bedroom TVs (early 70s). My dad bought me a 12" Panny from his buddy who owned a repair shop (which lasted me well into my marriage as our bedroom TV, so it probably made it about 20 years and still worked when we got rid of it). My sis got a Goldstar TV from KMart or one of the cheapo department stores in Brooklyn in those days. There were lots of "offbrand" 12" TVs to be had for about $70 in those days. I am pretty sure Goldstar has since morphed into LG, which is no longer a cheapo TV brand.
That's a pretty good useful product life.

This brings to mind something I once read in an Archies comic book as a kid. As I recall, Archie had proposed a camping trip, and Veronica noted that she considering "roughing it" as no color TV in the bedrooms.

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
Old 08-04-2014, 09:05 AM   #38
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
That's a pretty good useful product life.

This brings to mind something I once read in an Archies comic book as a kid. As I recall, Archie had proposed a camping trip, and Veronica noted that she considering "roughing it" as no color TV in the bedrooms.

Hahahaha. In a similar vein, when some asks me if I would want to go camping, I always say, my idea of camping is staying at Motel 6 First World Problems
Old 08-04-2014, 10:19 AM   #39
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

Quote:
Hahahaha. In a similar vein, when some asks me if I would want to go camping, I always say, my idea of camping is staying at Motel 6 First World Problems

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
Old 08-04-2014, 09:23 PM   #40
mattack

Quote:
To be more accurate, I guess we were both about 12-13 when we got our bedroom TVs (early 70s).
Wow, that's early!

I remember my siblings & I bought a TV from a garage sale and carted it around between bedrooms.. IIRC, the knob broke and we did the pliers thing. This was in probably the late 70s at least.. and it was black & white.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:58 AM   #41
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Wow, that's early!

I remember my siblings & I bought a TV from a garage sale and carted it around between bedrooms.. IIRC, the knob broke and we did the pliers thing. This was in probably the late 70s at least.. and it was black & white.
Me being an avid sports fan and my mom, not wanting to watch sports every night, my dad figured I could watch my games on my own TV. Of course we had to do our homework and chores before we could watch and they had to be off by bed time.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:50 AM   #42
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Whoops, they did it again.

Last night's episode was cut off halfway through for coverage of the Iraq air strikes authorization. I happened to be watching, so I scheduled an overnight airing...and the air strike coverage was still going on. I suspect this will be like last time, when they just showed it next week. Fortunately, last time TiVo somehow new to record it despite having "recorded" it before, so knock on wood, but we should probably keep an eye out to make sure.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:04 AM   #43
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Whoops, they did it again.

Last night's episode was cut off halfway through for coverage of the Iraq air strikes authorization. I happened to be watching, so I scheduled an overnight airing...and the air strike coverage was still going on. I suspect this will be like last time, when they just showed it next week. Fortunately, last time TiVo somehow new to record it despite having "recorded" it before, so knock on wood, but we should probably keep an eye out to make sure.
The last time they didn't show ANY of it, this time it was about half. So I suspect they will show the whole thing in a future airing and repeat it again next week. I have it set to pick up later tonight, but I'll keep an eye on it. Fortunately, it wasn't the most exciting topic of the series (for me anyway).
Old 08-08-2014, 09:13 PM   #44
mattack

...yeah, I really can't blame a NEWS channel for actually preempting a show to show, you know, NEWS..
Old 08-08-2014, 09:58 PM   #45
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
...yeah, I really can't blame a NEWS channel for actually preempting a show to show, you know, NEWS..
I wasn't blaming them, just pointing out what happened...

I also don't blame them for preempting all the reruns, since that would just be confusing. Better to put it off and hope next Thursday will be a slow news night.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:21 PM   #46
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

And I was wrong! The scheduled "rerun" that's on right now is the half-missing episode.

We'll see what they do on Thursday...
Old 08-10-2014, 07:52 AM   #47
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
And I was wrong! The scheduled "rerun" that's on right now is the half-missing episode.

We'll see what they do on Thursday...
I'm guessing that they put on what was originally scheduled figuring that people will watch one of their many reruns of this past Thursday's episode. I think I counted 6 times before the new episode next Thursday.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:30 AM   #48
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

After so many episodes got pre-empted/guide data was wrong, I finally got a good batch of eps recorded.

I just started watching the "World on the Brink". Wow... those must've been interesting and scary times to be an adult or at least a teenager. I've only gotten to the point where the Berlin wall began construction.
cwerdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:10 AM   #49
brianric

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwerdna View Post
After so many episodes got pre-empted/guide data was wrong, I finally got a good batch of eps recorded.

I just started watching the "World on the Brink". Wow... those must've been interesting and scary times to be an adult or at least a teenager. I've only gotten to the point where the Berlin wall began construction.
I gave up entirely due to too many pre-empted episodes.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 01:47 AM   #50
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

World on the Brink, JFK assassination, Vietnam War and Long March to Freedom eps were pretty good.

I watched a bit of TV Comes of Age and didn't really like it much, so I switched to another ep. Maybe it's because I didn't watch most of those TV shows. So, that's the weakest ep for me, by far.

I learned quite a bit from the eps I listed and watched in their entirety. It sure beats what I vaguely remember from US history class ages ago.

Too bad it doesn't look like there will be any reruns in the next 2 weeks, for those who still want to catch it.
cwerdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 09:26 PM   #51
mattack

I liked TV Comes of Age, but seemed like a zillion other documentaries about old TV I've watched.