TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-19-2014, 03:34 PM   #1
trip1eX

Tivo buys Roku

Or they partner up. This would seem to make total sense on the surface if either of these things happened right?

Tivo gets better 3rd party services and Roku get another great feature - dvr capabilities and an increased install base.

Seems like a win/win sort of thing.

Last edited by trip1eX : 07-21-2014 at 05:39 PM. Reason: More enticing headline
trip1eX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 12:05 PM   #2
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Doubtful, Tivo's business plan has shifted to providing their TiVo software for the cable companies, I doubt no serious retail streaming content support will be produced unless it benifits their new masters.
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 12:16 PM   #3
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Why would Roku want Tivo? These are two totally different business models.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:33 PM   #4
trip1eX

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
Why would Roku want Tivo? These are two totally different business models.
$$$$ from a higher install base. There are a million customer owned Tivo subscriptions and 3.5 MSO subscriptions. Roku could be on a good chunk of these devices.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:00 PM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

Neither company can afford to buy the other. They could merge but that's unlikely.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:08 PM   #6
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip1eX View Post
$$$$ from a higher install base. There are a million customer owned Tivo subscriptions and 3.5 MSO subscriptions. Roku could be on a good chunk of these devices.
Roku is a very popular successful company. Tivo is not.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:56 PM   #7
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
Roku is a very popular successful company. Tivo is not.
Roku has never made a profit as far as I know (the original target was to break-even by the beginning of this year, but the amount of capital they've been getting suggests they didn't make it.)
Old 07-28-2014, 09:00 PM   #8
Bigg

I love both, and I use both, but they are two entirely different devices that are kind of at odds with each other, even though they do have a small amount of feature overlap with a couple of streaming video services...
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:41 PM   #9
jwbelcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
Roku has never made a profit as far as I know (the original target was to break-even by the beginning of this year, but the amount of capital they've been getting suggests they didn't make it.)
Match made in heaven
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 04:22 AM   #10
Chris Gerhard

Neither company is profitable individually so I can't imagine they would do much worse if they merged or if one licensed the other's technology for a high-end box. I don't know what would be required from a technical standpoint, what CPU improvements would be needed but I suspect it would be possible to have a TiVo running Roku.

I have doubts that a TiVo could even be licensed to run all of the Roku channels, there is probably a reason TiVo doesn't offer Vudu, Amazon Prime Instant Video and other services we have never seen on TiVo. DRM requirements differ and each company's business priorities and allegiances differ, we may never see a TiVo running those services. Roku doesn't offer some Comcast VOD services, I didn't know it wouldn't run HBO GO until I tried to set it up. All of these types of issues could be resolved and contracts negotiated but not unless both sides want that.

Bottom line, I would say don't hold your breath waiting for a TiVo running Roku. As far as one company being great and the other not, TiVo is the Cadillac of DVRs, Roku is a popular, simple, easy to use streaming box. I own both and rarely ever use Roku although I never use TiVo for any streaming services. I have boxes for streaming services I prefer to Roku but I have never seen a DVR I think is as good as TiVo.

Last edited by Chris Gerhard : 07-29-2014 at 04:33 AM.
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:45 PM   #11
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post
Bottom line, I would say don't hold your breath waiting for a TiVo running Roku. As far as one company being great and the other not, TiVo is the Cadillac of DVRs, Roku is a popular, simple, easy to use streaming box. I own both and rarely ever use Roku although I never use TiVo for any streaming services. I have boxes for streaming services I prefer to Roku but I have never seen a DVR I think is as good as TiVo.
That's exactly it. TiVo is a great DVR, Roku is a great streaming box. TWo great products, two different things, two different markets, each has it's place.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:35 PM   #12
dougdingle
HD Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post
Roku doesn't offer some Comcast VOD services, I didn't know it wouldn't run HBO GO until I tried to set it up.
My Roku 3's all run HBO GO. You have to subscribe to HBO on some service to have it work, though. I get it through TW cable. Hard to imagine Comcast somehow blocks access, as the service is provided by HBO themselves, but I suppose it's possible. Or maybe HBO blocks Comcast subscribers.

And as an aside, if one subscribes to Time Warner, they offer ALL the channels you subscribe to streaming on the Roku as well, and the HBO channels on Roku are ALL HD, whereas the crappy TW service in Los Angeles only offers two HD channels, and they're the SAME two HD channels, just east coast and wet coast feeds. I've sprinkled refurbished Roku 3's and Samsung 22" HD sets in the kitchen, shop, sewing room, and I get the full TW package without running a wire or any extra fees. Total cost per setup using refurb devices is about $150. Very cool.
dougdingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 03:26 PM   #13
SullyND
L: 28-31

Roku was started by the guy who started ReplayTV, was it not?
SullyND is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:56 PM   #14
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdingle View Post
My Roku 3's all run HBO GO. You have to subscribe to HBO on some service to have it work, though. I get it through TW cable. Hard to imagine Comcast somehow blocks access, as the service is provided by HBO themselves, but I suppose it's possible. Or maybe HBO blocks Comcast subscribers.

And as an aside, if one subscribes to Time Warner, they offer ALL the channels you subscribe to streaming on the Roku as well, and the HBO channels on Roku are ALL HD, whereas the crappy TW service in Los Angeles only offers two HD channels, and they're the SAME two HD channels, just east coast and wet coast feeds. I've sprinkled refurbished Roku 3's and Samsung 22" HD sets in the kitchen, shop, sewing room, and I get the full TW package without running a wire or any extra fees. Total cost per setup using refurb devices is about $150. Very cool.
This is a well known issue. Comcast blocks HBO Go on Roku. It works fine on the web and through Apple devices.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:13 PM   #15
Chris Gerhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
This is a well known issue. Comcast blocks HBO Go on Roku. It works fine on the web and through Apple devices.
I don't think it is correct to say Comcast blocks HBO GO with Roku, you just can't sign up. Go to the activate HBO GO activate site and select Roku, you can't select Comcast.

http://www.hbogo.com/activate/

If the Comcast merger with TWC goes through, I would think that will change since TWC customers can use Roku for HBO GO. Surely there will be no difference between the two companies in that regard and surely TWC won't end Roku support.
Chris Gerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:03 PM   #16
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Comcast is blocking activation of HBO Go on Roku, as mentioned this is a well-known issue. I can watch it just fine on my Android phone, frex.

Really a non-issue for me as HBO works fine with XOD on Tivo.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:18 PM   #17
trip1eX

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Comcast is blocking activation of HBO Go on Roku, as mentioned this is a well-known issue. I can watch it just fine on my Android phone, frex.

Really a non-issue for me as HBO works fine with XOD on Tivo.
Works on a 360 with Comcast, but from what I skimmed it doesn't work on select devices.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:45 PM   #18
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Correct.