TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-28-2014, 12:32 PM   #1
bobdeg

Basic Roamio hookup hdmi but no start up screens

Front panel lights light up and remote works the lights. Can put the Roamio in standby and out by doing it blind aol Just waited to see if it would. Could hard drive cause something like this?
bobdeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:58 PM   #2
squint

Highly unlikely it's the hard drive. If I had to guess, I would say perhaps your HDMI port is busted. I'm not familiar with the Romio Basic but I believe it has a composite video out so you may want to try that and see if you get any video output.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:10 PM   #3
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

there are at least a couple of other threads about roamios with suspected hdmi port issues:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=10186442
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=510585

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:20 PM   #4
evanborkow

At the risk of being Capt. Obviouse, have you selected the correct input on the TV? Is it a known good cable?
evanborkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:22 PM   #5
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Make sure your HDMI cable is plugged in all the way in, sometimes there's a click. Check both ends.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:28 PM   #6
bobdeg

Hi guys! Thanks for responding. I have another Tivo and I am using the same tv and cable to check this one. I also tried using the A/V hookup and no start up screen. Pulled ac plug numerous times and still no startup screens. Any internal testing I can do?
Old 07-28-2014, 06:17 PM   #7
HomeUser

Can you see the uncooperative TiVo's "Now Playing" from the other TiVo through MRV?

FYI if you get a blank screen there is a HDUI reset "Thumbs Down", "Thumbs Up", "Play", "Play" that may recover the output without a power reset.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:53 PM   #8
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Are you on the Tivo Input on the TV?

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:56 PM   #9
bobdeg

HomeUser I am not sure of what you were asking about now playing from the other Tivo through the MRV but the other Tivo works fine using the same connections that the one dose not work with
Old 07-28-2014, 07:17 PM   #10
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdeg View Post
HomeUser I am not sure of what you were asking about now playing from the other Tivo through the MRV but the other Tivo works fine using the same connections that the one dose not work with
If you've enabled (at the TiVo.com website after logging in to your account) the ability of the TiVos to "transfer" shows between each other and a PC running TiVo Desktop, then at the bottom of each TiVo's Now Playing List should be a folder or folders with the name of your other TiVo(s) and another with the name of the computer running Desktop, assuming those other things are actually running and connected to the network.

If your other TiVo has a folder for the "dead" TiVo in it's Now Playing list, try to open it. If it shows shows, then the "dead" TiVo is at least alive enough to be talking Ethernet with the network.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:16 AM   #11
telemark

Tivo's should generate the first video screen without a Hard Drive. HDCP is turned on later in the boot so if it's not working initially the only culprit is a bad or no signal or unsupported resolution.

If it's booting all the way, you should see it on the network and can control it from the various network apps (if enabled). (Network Remote, iPhone, Android)

If you're not getting first screen on boot via HDMI AND not getting video on the A/V port then you have a hardware problem somewhere on the board.

Are you using a proper cable for the composite connection?

For curiosity, you could check the logs stored on the Hard Drive, but unless it happens to say there's a hardware error in there, I'm not sure what there is to gain.

If you have a volt meter you can check the A/V port levels.

Last edited by telemark : 07-30-2014 at 12:09 AM.
telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:46 PM   #12
bobdeg

Telmark thanks for the reply. I do have a meter so could you explain the A/V meter checking a little more in detail. Thanks
Old 07-30-2014, 10:02 PM   #13
telemark

I couldn't find any net references, so had to measure myself. Those who do video testing apparently need to do it properly which requires a scope.

When using a digital multimeter, measuring the Component Video (yellow) line on a Premiere with the "My Tivo" screen up, I get +1.6V DC (and 2.85V AC).

It would be more accurate to get numbers for comparison from the same model Roamio as yours.

The video signal voltage fluctuates very rapidly with information, but a digital meter will average the value, which might be good enough to indicate whether a signal is there or absent.

Are you sure you're using the correct cable for the A/V jack?
Old 07-30-2014, 10:54 PM   #14
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemark View Post
I couldn't find any net references, so had to measure myself. Those who do video testing apparently need to do it properly which requires a scope.

When using a digital multimeter, measuring the Component Video (yellow) line on a Premiere with the "My Tivo" screen up, I get +1.6V DC (and 2.85V AC).

It would be more accurate to get numbers for comparison from the same model Roamio as yours.

The video signal voltage fluctuates very rapidly with information, but a digital meter will average the value, which might be good enough to indicate whether a signal is there or absent.

Are you sure you're using the correct cable for the A/V jack?
Different meters also sample at differing rates. I have a mid-range meter that will display the sample-time average, but has a bar at the bottom that will let you know if the signal/level is not as solid as the reading would lead you to believe.

I'm feeling a bit guilty for also having a Fluke combo meter/scope, that looks like a ridiculously large multimeter. I barely use it, unless I'm checking ripple voltage/current and/or using glitch capture. It comes in handy for safely identifying what an unknown component is with "component test". I never did figure out how to use the logic checking functions...

If you need any signal checking with such a device in the future, and I have everything to do it, my PM box is always open.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:43 AM   #15
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
I'm feeling a bit guilty for also having a Fluke combo meter/scope, that looks like a ridiculously large multimeter. I barely use it, unless I'm checking ripple voltage/current and/or using glitch capture. It comes in handy for safely identifying what an unknown component is with "component test". I never did figure out how to use the logic checking functions...
If you're feeling generous I'm sure I could think of a way for you to assuage that guilt.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 07:57 PM   #16
bobdeg

Did the meter check for volts at the video out and it is zero! Looks like a board problem and probably not worth the money to get it fixed. Can't find no schematics to check any thing else
Old 08-02-2014, 09:18 PM   #17
telemark

The video out depends on that 1/8" to RCA cable. Did you test the cable?

Is audio working?
Old 08-03-2014, 10:29 AM   #18
bobdeg

telemark thanks for posting! I tested the A/V cable while it was plugged into the jack. No audio either. There is voltage on the board at certain test points but with out a schematic not sure what stage I am testing
Old 08-03-2014, 11:57 AM   #19
telemark

No audio is suspcious. Can you tell us the pin out of the cable and where you got it from?