TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 39 votes, 4.62 average.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:07 PM   #361
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBacklin View Post
I'm hoping someone can answer this. I need to add an access point to a room where a TiVo box with built in MoCA (Roamio Plus) is located. Does the above stated Pro Tip mean I can plug in my wireless access point via ethernet to the TiVo's ethernet port and have it get internet connection via the TiVo MoCA network?
Yep, you can try this if the Tivo is a moca client (not creating the network). Give it a shot and see what happens. There may or may not be AP settings to fiddle with, but it's doable.

Quote:
Also, in another room (large house) I need to add a second access point and wanted to connect it via the MoCA network. I should be able to do this by only buying one MoCA ethernet adapter and putting it in that room, connect the AP to that adapter and have it connect via the existing MoCA network?

Yep, also doable.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 03:17 PM   #362
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hickory View Post
I had not seen this previously covered :-)

My Comcast cable modem (required for telephone) is in bridge mode only as I have a dual-band gig router behind it providing all my wifi needs.

Are there any known issues using the above that I need to know beforehand before installing a moca network?

And, did I read correctly that my Tivo Roamio Pro will no longer use wifi once the moca network has been made?

Thanks
Sometimes the moca network interferes with the cable modem, but usually not. If it happens, a POE filter ($8 on ebay) can be installed on the coax right before the modem. Problem solved.

The Tivo settings should be set to connect to the moca network at that point (or by ethernet if it's creating the moca network). Wifi unnecessary.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:26 PM   #363
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJQuad View Post
Yeah the Comcast rep just came to install the POE so I'm good there.

Even after reading this thread I'm still a bit confused about what hardware I'll need, although admittedly my head is swimming a bit - I'm probably over-complicating things.

Here's my current setup -

Room 1 - Cable modem, Netgear R6100 Wireless Router. My main PC is wired into the router.

Room 2 - TiVo Premiere, Vizio Smart TV, and soon a Roku. Sometimes an iPad.

Room 3 - a Mac

Room 4 - where most mobile devices are used, mostly iPads.

All 4 rooms have coax outlets and currently rooms 2, 3, and 4 connect via wireless.

I'm a bit confused about the hardware I'll need as far as adapters and splitters, particularly in room 2 where there will (soon) be 3 devices using MoCA.
First decide what all you want connected to the moca network. You'll need 1 moca adapter connected at the modem/router as shown in the first post to create the network.

Then you'll need a moca adapter in any other room you want devices connected to the moca network. I assume room 2 at the least. If you want all those things to have a wired connection, you'll probably want to connect an ethernet switch to the moca adapter.

If you want to extend your wireless connection for the benefit of your mobile stuff, you can attach a wireless AP to a moca adapter in room 4 (or wherever you like).

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 07-29-2014 at 03:34 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:06 PM   #364
DJQuad
Poker Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
Then you'll need a moca adapter in any other room you want devices connected to the moca network. I assume room 2 at the least. If you want all those things to have a wired connection, you'll probably want to connect an ethernet switch to the moca adapter.
So I should use an ethernet switch instead of a 4 way cable splitter?
DJQuad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:16 PM   #365
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
So I should use an ethernet switch instead of a 4 way cable splitter?
Yes. Think of it this way... All the moca adapters do is convert your coax into ethernet ports.

The moca adapter itself only has 1 ethernet port. If there was only 1 device there, you wouldn't need the ethernet switch. But since you'll have 3 or 4 devices there (tivo, roku, TV), the ethernet switch would be handy to connect all of them.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 07-29-2014 at 05:26 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:24 PM   #366
DJQuad
Poker Junkie

Quote:
Yes. Think of it this way... All the moca adapters do is convert your coax into ethernet ports.

The moca adapter connects to the coax. Then connect an ethernet switch to the moca adapter so your multiple devices (tivo, TV, roku,) can get an internet connection from the coax.

The moca adapter itself only has 1 ethernet port, if there was only 1 device there, you wouldn't need the ethernet switch. But since you have 3 or 4 devices there, the ethernet switch would be handy to connect all of them.
Ok great. In a room that has just a TV for example, is that when a splitter would be used instead of a switch or generally is ethernet always best?

..I'm slowly understanding
Old 07-29-2014, 05:45 PM   #367
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Ok great. In a room that has just a TV for example, is that when a splitter would be used instead of a switch or generally is ethernet always best?

..I'm slowly understanding
The moca adapters have an ethernet port and a TV-OUT port.

The TV connects to the TV-OUT port to keep the TV's picture going as normal. The single device in that room you want connected to the internet would be connected to the adapter's ethernet port. No splitter or switch needed.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 07-29-2014 at 06:06 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:33 PM   #368
SBacklin

Quote:
Yep, you can try this if the Tivo is a moca client (not creating the network). Give it a shot and see what happens. There may or may not be AP settings to fiddle with, but it's doable.
The TiVo in question (bedroom TiVo) in a Roamio Plus and thus has the MoCA built in. Its not creating the MoCA network. The network is being created by the Roamio Pro in the living room.
SBacklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:34 PM   #369
SBacklin

Quote:
Yep, also doable.
Awesome, thanks!
Old 07-30-2014, 02:42 PM   #370
DJQuad
Poker Junkie

Quote:
The moca adapters have an ethernet port and a TV-OUT port.

The TV connects to the TV-OUT port to keep the TV's picture going as normal. The single device in that room you want connected to the internet would be connected to the adapter's ethernet port. No splitter or switch needed.
When WOULD a splitter need to be used?
Old 07-30-2014, 03:10 PM   #371
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
When WOULD a splitter need to be used?
Depends on how a house or room is wired... if there's something complicated about it sometimes a splitter solves one problem or another. Some older moca adapters didn't have a tv-out port, so a splitter would be needed to feed the TV/Tivo. If a cable provider requires Tuning Adapters for SDV, they'd want to add a splitter behind the Tivo/TA.

I haven't had to add any extra splitters to my home to accommodate moca (5 rooms). One pre-existing outside splitter running up to the 3rd floor was old and wasn't providing a good moca signal, so that had to be replaced. But inside the home there wasn't anything extra to do.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 07-30-2014 at 03:21 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:03 PM   #372
DJQuad
Poker Junkie

Quote:
Depends on how a house or room is wired... if there's something complicated about it sometimes a splitter solves one problem or another. Some older moca adapters didn't have a tv-out port, so a splitter would be needed to feed the TV/Tivo. If a cable provider requires Tuning Adapters for SDV, they'd want to add a splitter behind the Tivo/TA.

I haven't had to add any extra splitters to my home to accommodate moca (5 rooms). One pre-existing outside splitter running up to the 3rd floor was old and wasn't providing a good moca signal, so that had to be replaced. But inside the home there wasn't anything extra to do.
Awesome. Does this wiring look correct?
Old 07-31-2014, 05:47 PM   #373
BigJimOutlaw

Looks good except Phil's TV. The Tivo will need cat5 and coax. The TV won't need the coax.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:15 PM   #374
DJQuad
Poker Junkie

Quote:
Looks good except Phil's TV. The Tivo will need cat5 and coax. The TV won't need the coax.
Oh ok, I must have misunderstood an earlier post where I thought it said TVs themselves always need a coax connection to ensure the quality.

So the TV and Roku only need an ethernet connection? Here's my revised network where I added a Roku to the living room.

Old 08-01-2014, 12:32 AM   #375
BigJimOutlaw

As shown, that moca network will work.

Will the livingroom TV be using cable TV service? If so it'll need coax. Or if it's just going to be fed video by the Roku, then it's fine.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:58 AM   #376
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Diagrams of networks such a nice thing: Why not make it the new way, for everybody?

I find the recent diagrams/maps of coax, splitters, devices, and locations so very refreshing. It makes it so easy to advise people how to make things work together. Why doesn't TiVo (or a TCF member) just provide a universal tool for making them, free to all?

I used to do a lot of thing where if is wasn't for such tools, confusion and uncertainty were insured. If I had the skills to make such a thing, I would, and I'd make it free for all.

While I understand that it's something that is probably available, for those who know how to do it, and what to use, and likely at no cost, why not make it so easy, everybody can, and will want to use it?

Any takers on making things easier for all?
Old 08-01-2014, 10:28 AM   #377
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
I find the recent diagrams/maps of coax, splitters, devices, and locations so very refreshing. It makes it so easy to advise people how to make things work together. Why doesn't TiVo (or a TCF member) just provide a universal tool for making them, free to all?

I used to do a lot of thing where if is wasn't for such tools, confusion and uncertainty were insured. If I had the skills to make such a thing, I would, and I'd make it free for all.

While I understand that it's something that is probably available, for those who know how to do it, and what to use, and likely at no cost, why not make it so easy, everybody can, and will want to use it?

Any takers on making things easier for all?
no good deed goes unpunished

Old 08-01-2014, 05:15 PM   #378
DJQuad
Poker Junkie

Quote:
As shown, that moca network will work.

Will the livingroom TV be using cable TV service? If so it'll need coax. Or if it's just going to be fed video by the Roku, then it's fine.
It will. Here's hopefully my final network map

One thing I'm still a bit confused about is how the HDMI will work and what additional cables I need to get that the adapters don't include. Edit: and the TiVo needs coax but the Roku does not?

Last edited by DJQuad : 08-01-2014 at 05:49 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:42 PM   #379
DJQuad
Poker Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
It's certainly possible but as a programmer the reason it probably hasn't been done so far is because of the sheer amount of possibilities and configurations in any given home.

Think of the amount of decision "trees" that would need to be pre-programmed in a series of forms (steps). Step 1 would be easy, how many rooms do you have TVs in? From there it would get incredibly complex on the backend because you'd have to provide a way to specify what room the modem/router is in, streaming devices, set-top boxes, DVRs, wireless devices, amplifiers, mobile devices, MoCA, Homeplugs, and so on.

Not to mention DYNAMICALLY generating one heck of a nice looking network map with clear legends of all connections, including a means of determining what adapters, cables, splitters, etc. would need to be purchased. This includes additional cables you'd need other than what the adapter kits include.

Wow I'm rambling. In short ironically enough I've actually thought about such a tool, and even one to also generate a list of materials hooked to an Amazon affiliate link so development and hosting costs would be covered. Programming all the variables and updating the hardware options as new hardware is released gives me a headache just thinking about it.

That's why I kept all older versions of my network map in this thread - to see the progression mixed with responses by people with a much bigger brain than me. Perhaps it would be more productive if people post their network maps like I have, even if it's just chicken scratches on a napkin. lol
Old 08-01-2014, 06:17 PM   #380
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
It will. Here's hopefully my final network map

One thing I'm still a bit confused about is how the HDMI will work and what additional cables I need to get that the adapters don't include. Edit: and the TiVo needs coax but the Roku does not?
I think moca adapters include a cat5. That's pretty much all you need. You might need a few more cat5's to cover every device though. (I'm counting 8 total from the graph.)

HDMI provides audio/video from the boxes (Roku and Tivo) to the TVs. (Phil's TV will need HDMIs from Tivo and Roku too.) Is there confusion about HDMI?

The Roku is strictly an internet streamer and doesn't have a coax port. It only connects to the internet wirelessly or by ethernet.

The Tivo needs coax because without it, it wouldn't have a video source to record (your cable TV service).

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 08-01-2014 at 06:40 PM.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:29 PM   #381
DJQuad
Poker Junkie

I looked into the Roku a bit more and it does need an HDMI cable, which it doesn't come with. I get the HDMI connections now.

Here's my 4th revision which includes a couple more Rokus, HDMI connections, and another switch. Hopefully it's all correct because I just ordered $700 worth of goodies If anyone wants to know what all I had to buy let me know.

I opted to go with Rokus instead of TiVo Minis, Amazon Fire TVs, Apple TVs, and Chromecasts, but the connections would basically be the same as far as a MoCA Network itself.

Old 08-02-2014, 09:49 PM   #382
BigJimOutlaw

Graph looks good. Rokus are nice. Always a good option.
Old 09-13-2014, 12:13 AM   #383
SBacklin

Quote:
With the release of the Tivo Mini and Roamio boxes, a lot of people are considering using a MoCA connection rather than ethernet or wireless to communicate between Tivo devices.

Because a lot of people are new to MoCA, hopefully this quick and dirty setup information will help answer most of your questions. This isn't a complete A-to-Z MoCA FAQ; it just answers the most common setup questions that have come up on this forum.

This guide answers:

- What is MoCA?
- Why use MoCA?
- How to create a MoCA Network
- How to connect your Tivo devices to a MoCA Network
- Special issues (Tuning Adapters, FiOS customers)
- Troubleshooting most common issues

FiOS TV customers: Skip to near the end if you have setup questions.

What is MoCA?

Simply put, MoCA is a networking standard that allows you to transmit data over the coax cable in your home. It's an alternative to ethernet, wireless, and powerline adapters.

Why use MoCA?

Ethernet is ideal for home networking, but because most homes don't have ethernet cable running throughout them, most people use wireless [802.11] adapters as an alternative.

Wireless adapters can be slower and less reliable than a wired connection for many reasons. Because of this, Tivo recommends using a wired connection for multi-room streaming between Tivo devices. MoCA is a good option to use because it's faster and more reliable than wireless, and it uses the coax cable already running through your home.

If you have only 1 Tivo device, you may not need MoCA. A wireless adapter (or the Tivo Roamio's built-in wireless) may be all you need. This guide is mainly intended to help people with 2 or more Tivo devices stream content between them, such as a Tivo DVR to a Tivo Mini.

Enabling MoCA in the Home

There are two ways to set up a MoCA network:

Option 1: Connect MoCA-enabled Tivos by ethernet and use the Tivo to establish the MoCA network.
Option 2: Connect a MoCA adapter to your router. (Choose this option if running ethernet to your Tivo is not desirable.)

Option 1: Connect Tivo via Ethernet
Platforms Supported: Roamio Pro, Roamio Plus, XL4 (a/k/a Elite), Premiere 4

This option allows the Tivo itself to function as a MoCA bridge for the rest of the home.

1. Connect your Tivo (one of the boxes listed above) to your router via Ethernet.
2. Go in the Network Settings, select 'Change Network Settings' and select 'Use this DVR to create a MoCA Network.'

That's it! Your MoCA network is created!

3. Go into the Network Settings of your other MoCA-supported devices (Mini, Premiere 4, XL4) and select "MoCA" as their network connection type.

(Note: Using this method, your Mini(s) or other secondary MoCA devices are relying on your Tivo DVR for its internet connection, so if your Tivo DVR is offline for some reason, so are the secondary devices.)

If you have a Tivo on your network that does not support MoCA, check below for the "Setting up a 2-tuner Tivo or a 4-tuner basic Tivo Roamio for MoCA" section if you would like to get them connected to MoCA too.

Option 2: Use a MoCA Adapter
Platforms Supported: Roamio Pro, Roamio Plus, XL4 (a/k/a Elite), Premiere 4

1. If running an ethernet cable to your Tivo is not desirable or possible, purchase a MoCA adapter ($50 from tivo.com, and also available on Amazon, eBay, etc.).
2. Connect it to your modem and router as shown below to create a MoCA network.

That's it! Once the above diagram is completed, this will enable MoCA throughout the home.

3. Choose "MoCA" in the Network Settings on each Tivo box.

If you have a Tivo that does not have built-in MoCA support, check below for the "Setting up a 2-tuner Tivo or a 4-tuner basic Tivo Roamio for MoCA" section if you would like to get them connected to the MoCA network as well.

Setting up a 2-tuner Tivo or a 4-tuner basic Tivo Roamio for MoCA:

Platforms Supported: All Tivos with an ethernet port but not MoCA support (namely, 2-tuner Tivos and the 4-tuner basic Roamio.)

2-tuner Tivos and the basic 4-tuner Tivo Roamio do not natively support MoCA. However, you can still connect them to a MoCA network if you wish.

Follow one of the above options to create the MoCA network. You must also purchase additional MoCA adapters for each of the additional non-MoCA Tivos you wish to connect to the MoCA network, and connect them in this fashion:

FiOS TV Customers:

Your home is already MoCA-enabled if your Verizon-supplied router is connected via coax. Your P4/XL4/Roamio Plus/Roamio Pro and Mini can simply be connected to the coax, select "MoCA" under their Network Settings, and that's all that needs to be done.

If you would like to connect a 2-tuner Tivo or a 4-tuner basic Tivo Roamio to your MoCA network, follow the previous section's instructions on how to connect MoCA adapters to these Tivos.

POE FILTER:

It is recommended that you install a MoCA Point of Entry (POE) filter at your cable TV's point of entry in the home. This helps keep your MoCA signal strong, prevents it from exiting your home and potentially allowing neighbors access to your network, or creating interference with neighbor's services. They're $9 on Tivo.com and can also be purchased cheaply elsewhere (eBay, etc).

If you are a FiOS TV customer, a POE filter isn't necessary.

Tuning Adapters:

If your Tivo setup requires a Tuning Adapter supplied by the cableco, the below image shows the recommended setup to allow the tuning adapter and MoCA network to co-exist.

From the Splitter:
- 1 line goes to the Tuning Adapter, then connect the TA to the Tivo's USB port. Don't use the TA's RF-Out.
- The other line goes to the Tivo if it has built-in moca support, or to the MoCA adapter if your Tivo model needs one.

Most Common Problems:

The most common problems associated with MoCA are old or inadequate splitters, loss of internet connectivity, signal amplifiers (amps) somewhere on the line, and aged coax cabling.

At the very least, make sure all of the coax connection points are firm.

Splitters: In the event of signal issues (such as bad performance or devices not seeing each other), old or inadequate splitters are a common issue. Replace any old or inadequate splitters (rated less than 1000 MHz) with new splitters that are rated for 1000 MHz (1GHz) or higher.

Amps: Signal amps should be placed at the coax cable's point of entry in the house. However, sometimes they are not. Ideally the amp should be moved. But if that is too complicated, the amp should be rated to pass through signals of at least 1000 MHz (1GHz) bi-directionally. Replace if necessary.

Old coax: Very old and weathered/damaged coax cable and loose connection points might be to blame as well. These coax lines would have to be replaced with new coax.

Loss of internet connectivity: If you lose your internet connectivity when activating MoCA, install a MoCA POE filter on the coax right before your cable modem ($8 on ebay).

SDV Tuning Adapter malfunctions: If your SDV Tuning Adapter isn't working when activating MoCA, install a MoCA POE filter on the coax right before your Tuning Adapter ($8 on ebay).

NIM100 MoCA adapters: Older NIM100 MoCA adapters have been known to be incompatible with the built-in MoCA support of Tivo boxes. The "work-around" is to either not use the Tivo's integrated MoCA (use adapters instead) or replace the older NIM100's with newer adapters.

Pro Tip:

Using MoCA setup option #2? Connect your Smart TV, Blu-ray player, Roku, or other device to the Tivo's Ethernet port! Those devices can daisy chain off your Tivo's MoCA connection. (If you want to connect multiple devices, you can get a cheap Ethernet hub and plug it into the Tivo's port too.)

If there are ideas or things missed in the guide (but remember it's not a complete and total MoCA FAQ, just a setup guide) then post them here. I'll add them!
The pro tip was very handy but I recently discovered something. Even tho my Pro was the coordinator node, when I connected a device to my Plus's ethernet port to daisy chain, the other tivo units started seeing my plus as the coordinator node when it wasn't. I had connections but my LAN speeds were very slow. Once I disconnected the device and made sure my Pro was back as the coordinator node, all was back to normal. The device I was using to feed off my Plus's ethernet port was a AirPort Extreme that was extending a wireless network via ethernet. I also read somewhere that doing the pro tip idea would cause the unit to try and create the moca network which in my case it did. What are your thoughts on this particular situation?
Old 09-13-2014, 04:18 AM   #384
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
The pro tip was very handy but I recently discovered something. Even tho my Pro was the coordinator node, when I connected a device to my Plus's ethernet port to daisy chain, the other tivo units started seeing my plus as the coordinator node when it wasn't. I had connections but my LAN speeds were very slow. Once I disconnected the device and made sure my Pro was back as the coordinator node, all was back to normal. The device I was using to feed off my Plus's ethernet port was a AirPort Extreme that was extending a wireless network via ethernet. I also read somewhere that doing the pro tip idea would cause the unit to try and create the moca network which in my case it did. What are your thoughts on this particular situation?
I don't have experience with the AE but (just to cover the simple basics) I would first make sure it's setup as a bridge. And the Tivo should connect to its WAN and be set to moca+ethernet. Not trying to be insulting if those are obvious, I just don't have AE-on-Tivo experience to go into any particular detail about its compatibility. Hopefully someone else can chime in.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:11 AM   #385
SBacklin

Quote:
I don't have experience with the AE but (just to cover the simple basics) I would first make sure it's setup as a bridge. And the Tivo should connect to its WAN and be set to moca+ethernet. Not trying to be insulting if those are obvious, I just don't have AE-on-Tivo experience to go into any particular detail about its compatibility. Hopefully someone else can chime in.
The AE is in bridge mode. I just hooked it back up to my Plus, all is connected and the Pro is still showing at the coordinating node. That is how it should be. However, I'm still seeing that slow down on my LAN. I'm at a loss as to why its doing that. I did also notice that with the AE hooked up the network status now shows as Ethernet + MoCA instead of just MoCA. I'm wondering if I should try and get a separate MoCA bridge and put it in and see if my LAN slows down. Its hard to find good adapters. The ECB2500C I won't buy because even though they're supposed to be MoCA 1.1, their ethernet ports are maxed out at 100Mbps because they don't have Gb ports. Hopefully, someone else can add additional information.

*Well, I think I may have figured it out. I believe by design an actual connection will be made by daisy chaining since TiVo hasn't disabled the ethernet port while a unit is joining a MoCA network. However, it seems to be designed to use ethernet as the connection to the net when it detects a cable being plugged in. I went into network settings and told it use the MoCA connection so it would be joining the MoCA network and it told me it can't (or won't) use the MoCA until the ethernet cable is unplugged. Once I did that, then it was setup to strictly use the MoCA. See, that's why its slowing down. The Plus thinks its main connection to the network is through the ethernet port when in fact its MoCA. So it sends everything through the ethernet port only to have sent back down and through the Plus. Basically, it works but since it has to bounce around (being confused) it slows down. So it looks like I will have to look into a separate MoCA bridge for my setup.

Last edited by SBacklin : 09-13-2014 at 08:26 AM.
Old 09-13-2014, 01:22 PM   #386
waxon

Hello! New user, very close to making my Tivo purchase...

Couple questions about setup.

Planning on a Roamio Basic plus 2 Minis.

Have an existing Moca network on Fios.

In a slightly unusual turn of events, will be using cable tv to feed the Roamio.

The Roamio basic will be directly connected to the to one of the ethernet ports on the Fios moca enabled router.

I will have 1 mini also connected via ethernet to the Fios router, and 1 mini via moca on a coax cable connected to the fios moca network.

My questions -

#1) in this setup does the Roamio basic still need a moca adapter even though it is connected directly to the Fios router which is creating the moca network?

#2) does the cable tv line need a POE filter, or does it not matter since the moca network is not on that coax line?

Thanks for the assistance!
waxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 03:43 PM   #387
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
*Well, I think I may have figured it out. I believe by design an actual connection will be made by daisy chaining since TiVo hasn't disabled the ethernet port while a unit is joining a MoCA network. However, it seems to be designed to use ethernet as the connection to the net when it detects a cable being plugged in. I went into network settings and told it use the MoCA connection so it would be joining the MoCA network and it told me it can't (or won't) use the MoCA until the ethernet cable is unplugged. Once I did that, then it was setup to strictly use the MoCA. See, that's why its slowing down. The Plus thinks its main connection to the network is through the ethernet port when in fact its MoCA. So it sends everything through the ethernet port only to have sent back down and through the Plus. Basically, it works but since it has to bounce around (being confused) it slows down. So it looks like I will have to look into a separate MoCA bridge for my setup.
Basically yes. Chances are the Plus is creating a second moca network, causing a packet battle (the slowdown). This has been known to happen sometimes. The head-scratcher is figuring out how to stop the Plus from doing that and if there are any settings on the AE that might help. Using basic switches usually works fine, but routers are questionable.
Old 09-13-2014, 03:56 PM   #388
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxon View Post
Hello! New user, very close to making my Tivo purchase...

Couple questions about setup.

Planning on a Roamio Basic plus 2 Minis.

Have an existing Moca network on Fios.

In a slightly unusual turn of events, will be using cable tv to feed the Roamio.

The Roamio basic will be directly connected to the to one of the ethernet ports on the Fios moca enabled router.

I will have 1 mini also connected via ethernet to the Fios router, and 1 mini via moca on a coax cable connected to the fios moca network.

My questions -

#1) in this setup does the Roamio basic still need a moca adapter even though it is connected directly to the Fios router which is creating the moca network?

#2) does the cable tv line need a POE filter, or does it not matter since the moca network is not on that coax line?

Thanks for the assistance!
I think I understand what you want to accomplish. Two completely separate coax runs -- one from cable, the other from Verizon?

The base Roamio doesn't need a moca adapter if it's connected to the router for its connection. (That wouldn't work anyway since the Roamio is getting coax from the separate cable feed.) The Mini you planned on using moca for is the question... If it's connected to the Fios coax runs as you said, then it'll be fine too.

The POE filter isn't needed on the cabletv run since no moca would be running through it.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 09-13-2014 at 04:29 PM.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:34 PM   #389
waxon

Quote:
I think I understand what you want to accomplish. Two completely separate coax runs -- one from cable, the other from Verizon?

The base Roamio doesn't need a moca adapter if it's connected to the router for its connection. (That wouldn't work anyway since the Roamio is getting coax from the separate cable feed.) The Mini you planned on using moca for is the question... If it's connected to the Fios coax runs as you said, then it'll be fine too.

The POE filter isn't needed on the cabletv run since no moca would be running through it.
Yes, 2 cable runs exist, one from cable and one from Verizon. I probably should have attempted to make a diagram

Thanks for answering - some of the information I was reading was a bit conflicting so I appreciate the confirmation.

Most everything I read online said the base Roamio needs a moca adapter but that perplexed me when I was planning on using a direct connection to a moca router (guess the information I was reading just wanted to keep things simple).

Much appreciated!
waxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:47 PM   #390
Flyin_Taco

Howdy!

I'm having issues trying to connect my Tivo Premiere to my Tivo Roamio Plus via Moca. I have my RP MoCa bridge enabled. My premiere has an Actiontec MoCA network adapter. When I go to Network>settings>change settings> The only prompts I see are modify ethernet settings, connect using wireless n, or use phone line. There are no MoCA settings. My Network adapter connected only has two green lights illuminated. Power and ethernet. The coax light is not on. My cable comes into the house and from there goes to a drop tap.

The output side goes into the house where it hits an identical tap. One side goes to the Roamio Pro and theh other to my cable modem. The tap side on the outside goes into an amp.

That goes into the RF input side on the amp. The output side goes to a splitter

and then up to the bedroom where I am trying to connect the Premiere. Are the taps my problem, or do I need a different amp? Many thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo(9).JPG (96.9 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg photo(10).JPG (132.4 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg photo(11).JPG (94.4 KB, 41 views)

Roamio Pro
2 tuner Premiere
Flyin_Taco is offline   Reply With Quote