TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-01-2014, 08:15 PM   #1
tomhorsley

Comcast about to encrypt everything.

Just got a letter from Comcast saying they will soon be encrypting all channels. I guess I won't be tuning any clear QAM channels on my TV anymore, everyone goes through the cable card now.
tomhorsley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:23 PM   #2
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
Just got a letter from Comcast saying they will soon be encrypting all channels. I guess I won't be tuning any clear QAM channels on my TV anymore, everyone goes through the cable card now.
Comcast did that in CT about 3 years ago, but they will give you, cost free, up to 2 DTA adapter(s) to get basic cable (no HD) for two years after the conversion, after that Comcast will start charging for that DTA at about $2.95/month.

Old 08-02-2014, 09:43 AM   #3
tomhorsley

I just hope they don't go all Time-Warner and mark everything copy protected at the same time...
tomhorsley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:09 AM   #4
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
I just hope they don't go all Time-Warner and mark everything copy protected at the same time...
That's what I actually thought you meant when I saw the header.

Because one nice thing about Comcast is nothing is copy protected except the premium channels. At least in Houston.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 11:04 AM   #5
Bigg

Quote:
No they don't. They are TiVo-friendly, not waging war on TiVo like the evil TWC.

The all-digital conversion is pretty painless. The only downside is that it's harder to troubleshoot CableCard issues, since there's no ClearQAM channels to come through if the CableCard isn't working or paired properly...
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 01:45 PM   #6
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Comcast is not a single entity in this regard - it's a decision made by individual operators. In many markets, Comcast did away with clear QAM years ago. In my mother's market, it happened last year.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:37 PM   #7
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Comcast did that in CT about 3 years ago, but they will give you, cost free, up to 2 DTA adapter(s) to get basic cable (no HD) for two years after the conversion, after that Comcast will start charging for that DTA at about $2.95/month.
I will also add that clear QAM is gone also.

Old 08-02-2014, 10:20 PM   #8
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post
Comcast is not a single entity in this regard - it's a decision made by individual operators. In many markets, Comcast did away with clear QAM years ago. In my mother's market, it happened last year.
Comcast is one company. However, they act like they are still hundreds of little cable operators- all the various companies that they bought up through various M&A deals to become Comcast since they can't get their act together with regionalizing and standardizing their systems, channel lineups, internet offerings, etc. Comcast is a complete mess. They have let the legacy of many different systems slow them down massively with upgrades.

They are supposedly getting rid of Clear QAM nationwide, but then again, getting rid of analog took several years.

What's really scary is that they want to buy TWC, which has some of the same issues, although I'm not sure if they are as bad as Comcast's. Now add TWC and Comcast together, who have two totally different approaches to manage capacity, and you have an even worse situation than you have now. Comcast has done the right thing and rebuilt systems to 860mhz, except that they gave up partway through their rebuild effort, and never finished, and apparently have no plans to follow through with what they started doing, so some systems are upgraded and some aren't. I'm not sure about TWC on rebuilds, but they use SDV as a huge crutch in terms of capacity, and are now giving more capacity to HSI in order to offer Maxx.

Add in that Comcast is a Motorola provider, but has some Sci Atlanta systems, and TWC is Sci Atlanta provider, and you have an even bigger mess on your hands. You think either company is screwed up now? Wait until they try and operate as one company!
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote