TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-28-2014, 12:23 AM   #1
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

The Last Ship "Lockdown" (7/27/14) SPOILERS!

Well, I expect we'll see more episodes like this one as the season rolls on. More internal drama and conflict as opposed to the action/adventure bent of "El Toro."

It seems that Quincy has pissed off the Commander and lost his ice cream privileges.

I know it was corny but I did like the bit at the end with the crew members re-enlisting. It reminded me a little of that great scene in The Alamo (1960), when most of the men are ready to ride out in retreat and Col. Travis salutes their bravery and honor. Of course, they all have a change of heart, dismount and stand behind him to face their fate together.

(I had Fun, fun, fun 'til Katrina took my Ti-Vos away)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
RGM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:43 PM   #2
eddyj

I'm not sure what Quincy thought he was doing. He must know the ship is his best hope for survival.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
eddyj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:51 PM   #3
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyj View Post
I'm not sure what Quincy thought he was doing. He must know the ship is his best hope for survival.
It's funny...he DID have a decent plan. The ship is a prison for him, and he realizes it always will be (even when the doc needed help, he wasn't allowed out of his cell to provide it).

What's funny is until the part where we found out he was manipulating everybody else to get himself off the ship, I thought the same as you did. On a show where people routinely do stupid, senseless things to forward the plot, it didn't occur to me that there might be a method to his seeming madness.

I've also detected what may be a foolproof way to determine future plot developments. When the captain makes a difficult decision, he will turn out to be wrong. And then he will explain to everybody that he made the wrong decision, and how much he has learned from his mistake. Until the next time he has to make a difficult decision, that is.

Definitely a summer show...if this were on during the on-season where there's tons of competition, it would have been deleted from my SPs weeks ago.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:09 PM   #4
stellie93

I don't get where the ones who wanted to leave were going to go. Wouldn't it be way more dangerous to try to establish a colony somewhere and take the risk of being overrun by sick people--or just people with more guns than you?
stellie93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:19 PM   #5
squint

Yeah, and those rigid inflatable boats with no protection from the sun aren't really the best choice for the open ocean. It would have made more sense to insist they be dropped off in an isolated area with natural resources and no infected.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:39 PM   #6
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
I don't get where the ones who wanted to leave were going to go. Wouldn't it be way more dangerous to try to establish a colony somewhere and take the risk of being overrun by sick people--or just people with more guns than you?
i was thinking an uninhabited island would limit contact, but it would come with its own challenges.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:31 AM   #7
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
I got the feeling that perhaps those crew members didn't get the full scope of what was actually happening out there. My thought was they were going to try and go home and find their loved ones. I think that's why the Captain decided to play the broadcasts from the radio room of people asking for help. So they understand that the world is a mess, and that they are the ones who could save the world. Which is why they all reenlisted.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:50 PM   #8
ElJay

This was a terrible filler episode.
ElJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:19 AM   #9
smbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJay View Post
This was a terrible filler episode.
/agree

I can't think of one notable thing that happened in this one. It's basically a "we're still working on the vaccine" episode.

Can someone who is familiar with vaccines answer a simple question for me -- when I go get my flu vaccine they tell me it will be a couple of weeks before I'm protected against the flu, yet in this episode they seemed to expose the monkeys to live virus just hours after vaccinating them. Simple television suspension of disbelief, or is there a fast means to test vaccine candidates?
smbaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:50 PM   #10
squint

Well, the rabies vaccine can be given after a bite so it varies by disease.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:18 PM   #11
Unbeliever
Random Nobody

Yes, it does depend on the virus.

[foggy memory here]
Prophylactic vaccines need time for the body to build up enough immunity (to develop antibodies that recognize the virus) to handle future exposure. How much time depends on how quick acting the virus is.

Therapeutic vaccines (after exposure) give your body's immune system a kick in the pants to build up enough antibodies on antigens that aren't trying to kill it to fight the real virus.

--Carlos V.
Unbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 12:21 PM   #12
danterner
Not it!

I wonder whether the size of the body (and therefore the size of the immune system) is a factor, as well - would a small monkey build up the immunity faster than a large human?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Twitter:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 12:31 PM   #13
squint

I recall some early vaccines (rabies?) used horses.

I think in this case they would want a species that is more susceptible to the virus than humans with a shorter incubation time, more obvious symptoms, etc., so it takes less time to test each version of the vaccine.