TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-08-2014, 02:15 PM   #31
pendragn

I thought last night's episode was pretty solid. Always good to see Parker Stevenson. I thought they did a good job advancing the stories and I liked the mystery of the week.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pendragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:35 PM   #32
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragn View Post
Always good to see Parker Stevenson.
Although they kind of ruined the mystery when the photo they showed of the young heir was so obviously a young Parker Stevenson that there was no doubt when PS showed up that he was the real deal.

I like how the season is coming together...everything is connected. And the hints in the premiere that the story was going to sail off into woo-woo land were, fortunately, mere misdirection.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:38 PM   #33
hummingbird_206

Reports of My Death 7/7/2014

Yep, good ep. They are definitely advancing the story in interesting ways.

Took me a minute to recognize Parker!

Ferg cracks me up.
hummingbird_206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:10 AM   #34
RonDawg

Population 25 OAD 7/14/14

OK that was a weird plot twist, with Walt joining forces with (of all people) Ed Gorski to save Vic and Sean from the sovereign citizens. I loved the look on Vic's face when she saw who was about to rescue her; I think she was trying to decide which was worse, staying with the sovereigns and facing their "justice" or going with Gorski

I did wonder if Gorski was going to do something with Vic and/or Sean as they drove away from the compound, and I do wonder if that is truly the last we'll see of him.
RonDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:00 PM   #35
BrandonRe

Yes- last night's episode makes me wonder how much of what we think we know about Gorski is accurate. He seemed fairly sympathetic last night. Just seems like maybe somehow there's more to the story that we haven't heard yet hat paints him in a different light.
BrandonRe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:46 PM   #36
Fl_Gulfer
Tivo's R Us

Great Episode. I'm sure he won the duel or the show would be over, but I'm pretty sure this isn't the end of these crazies. And I'm sure the Husband is gone and she will start hitting on Longmire.
DirecTV Genie
2 DirecTV HR24 HD DVR
Fl_Gulfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:43 AM   #37
pendragn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl_Gulfer View Post
I'm sure he won the duel or the show would be over, ...
We lost track of Branch, didn't we? I assume Branch shoots the bad guy before the bad guy can shoot Walt.

pendragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:57 AM   #38
DouglasPHill

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragn View Post
We lost track of Branch, didn't we? I assume Branch shoots the bad guy before the bad guy can shoot Walt.
+1
DouglasPHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:34 PM   #39
hummingbird_206

Harvest 7/21/2013

At least they didn't keep us guessing on the letter Vic gave Walt.

I'm sure I should know what the convict is, but I don't remember. Something to do with Cady?

Ferg usually cracks me up, but now it looks like they are going to make him into a big baby, getting his feelings hurt that he gets crap assignments.

I'm tired of the Vic/Sean drama. Either fix them or break them up. I don't care which but it's getting old.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:52 AM   #40
RonDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird_206 View Post
At least they didn't keep us guessing on the letter Vic gave Walt.
Yeah the writers tried to make us think it was going to be her resignation letter by showing Vic's apparently empty desk (as opposed to Branch's cluttered one).

Quote:
I'm sure I should know what the convict is, but I don't remember. Something to do with Cady?
He is the town alcoholic who took the fall for the accident that nearly killed Cady. His son was actually the one behind the wheel, and Walt knows it, but the father insisted on being the one to go to jail.

Quote:
Ferg usually cracks me up, but now it looks like they are going to make him into a big baby, getting his feelings hurt that he gets crap assignments.
Actually, Ferg has always been portrayed as Absaroka's version of Barney Fife. The casting of a short, overweight guy for the role was definitely intentional. You could see as the show has progressed that he wants to take on more challenges and is trying to come into his own as a LEO, like trying to guess the time of death based on the evidence he saw at the scene.

When Walt asked him to go contact the coroner I thought it's because he wanted to talk to Vic in private, but then that didn't happen. I didn't see Ferg's reaction as being a baby, but you could tell he was disappointed. I would be too if I thought my superiors were not allowing me to hone my skills.

Quote:
I'm tired of the Vic/Sean drama. Either fix them or break them up. I don't care which but it's getting old.
Agreed.

Last edited by RonDawg : 07-23-2014 at 06:05 AM.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:41 AM   #41
renne2001

Longmire season 3 too grim

Maybe it's me, but when I discovered the Longmire series, back I guess, halfway through season one, I was intrigued. I was already a fan of the Jesse Stone series, but I'm a big fan of Selleck so there's that. What I enjoyed most in the Stone series was the interaction among the charactors more than the plots - the deadpan humor especially. The only one I didn't like was a recent episode where Jesse was bent on inflicting psychological punishment on the high school pricipal for demanding to look at the underwear of girls attending the prom. She wasn't charged, but that had more to do with politics than anything else. The whole episode was kind of disgusting. She should have been fired.

Longmire reminds me of that series. Same mix of drama and humor, but there did seem to be a lot more humor during the 1st season. People teased each other and cracked wise - now not so much. The 3rd season, at least so far, seems pretty grim. I think the story lines are getting too complicated for the area. I mean this is Wyoming, not Miami. Everyone is going around with clenched jaws, especially Branch. I find it kind of tiresome - no comic relief.

I guess I'll watch it a couple of times more and if it doesn't move back toward the writing of the 1st season, I'll just vote with my remote. I hate to see a show I previously enjoyed go South. And speaking of South, whatever happened to Southland? What a shame that's gone and Prime Suspect with Maria bello, gone as well. There's not nearly enough good stuff out there that I can afford to lose even one. If its not vampires, its zombies, etc., etc. Thank God for Hell on Wheels which starts 1st week in August. And I'm not sure Shameless will be back next season. It looked like they had conveniently solved everyone's particular problem with the finale, amazing or impossible as that might seem.

I guess I'll just have to dust off the complete set of Homicde: Life on the Street yet again.
renne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 04:21 AM   #42
RonDawg

"Counting Coup" OAD 7/28/2014

Excellent episode! Definitely the best one this season, and one of the better ones for the entire series.

So I guess Branch wasn't hallucinating after all. Still he's definitely out of control. I wonder if he's finally going to get his life under control once he learns that not only was his sighting of Ridges validated, but that he's now dead as well.

One thing I'm a bit confused about...is Henry being tried in Denver, or in Wyoming? Their having to rush to the courthouse makes it seem like Henry is being tried locally, or at least in an adjacent county. The prosecution is saying the reason they need to move up the trial date is because Det. Fales is going out of state...it makes it sound more like he needs to return to Denver from Wyoming. If he's leaving Colorado, it sounds like he's going on vacation, so why not just schedule the trial for when he returns?

Plus, especially in death penalty cases, the defense seems to be given a lot of leeway about the trial date to give them adequate preparation time. Only the defense can push for a speedy trial, but most of the time they waive it so they can prepare a vigorous defense, plus it's a known stalling tactic in the hopes that witnesses get discouraged or even die off.

One error I did see: Cady's law-school chum said that he felt the prosecution was withholding exculpatory evidence, and that it is routinely done. That is illegal under Brady v. Maryland and can result in a conviction being overturned, even if the potentially exculpatory evidence that was withheld would not have mattered. The prosecution must turn over all evidence they have to the defense, in particular anything that could help the defense.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:54 AM   #43
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonDawg View Post
One thing I'm a bit confused about...is Henry being tried in Denver, or in Wyoming? Their having to rush to the courthouse makes it seem like Henry is being tried locally, or at least in an adjacent county. The prosecution is saying the reason they need to move up the trial date is because Det. Fales is going out of state...it makes it sound more like he needs to return to Denver from Wyoming. If he's leaving Colorado, it sounds like he's going on vacation, so why not just schedule the trial for when he returns?

Plus, especially in death penalty cases, the defense seems to be given a lot of leeway about the trial date to give them adequate preparation time. Only the defense can push for a speedy trial, but most of the time they waive it so they can prepare a vigorous defense, plus it's a known stalling tactic in the hopes that witnesses get discouraged or even die off.
What we learned from the conversation with the guy who wants the bar is that the fix is in...the trial was moved up because somebody (presumably the chief?) made it happen.

Not that this is in any way plausible, but that seems to be their explanation...

Yes, the legal shenanigans have become increasingly absurd. That said, it's amazing how what started off as a very, very disappointing season has morphed into a very, very good one.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:07 PM   #44
hummingbird_206

Yes, this season has gotten much better as it has gone along. I can't believe that next week is the season finale. Bummer.

So Ferg grows a pair and confronts Walt, but then is immediately back in the wimp category when Barlow threatens his dad. I was really hoping that when Walt walked in he was going to find both Branch and Barlow in the cell. C'mon Ferg!

And I cannot believe that Vic would lock herself in Walt's office to hide from Branch.

They better wrap up the Henry trial crap next week. I'm not going to be happy if they drag it out over another season.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:47 PM   #45
RonDawg

Quote:
So Ferg grows a pair and confronts Walt, but then is immediately back in the wimp category when Barlow threatens his dad. I was really hoping that when Walt walked in he was going to find both Branch and Barlow in the cell. C'mon Ferg!
Yeah I was disappointed in him over that.

Quote:
And I cannot believe that Vic would lock herself in Walt's office to hide from Branch.
I don't think that's the reason. She was probably crying her eyes out after being served divorce papers.

Quote:
They better wrap up the Henry trial crap next week. I'm not going to be happy if they drag it out over another season.
They probably won't announce the verdict until the beginning of Season 4 as a form of cliffhanger, like they did with Branch's shooting last season.

Speaking of Henry, after he attempted to burn down his own business, I take it that Malachi is now the new owner in exchange for info that Henry was looking for (which turned out to not be the case)?
Old 07-29-2014, 10:54 PM   #46
RonDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Yes, the legal shenanigans have become increasingly absurd.
Another thing I just thought of...don't lawyers have to take the bar exam in each state where they want to be able to practice law? If so, wouldn't Cady need to have taken Colorado's in order to represent Henry?

Or is the trial being held in Wyoming after all? And if so, I thought the murder happened in Denver? I can see a change of venue if the case happened in Durant since everybody seems to know everybody else, but Denver is large enough for a decent jury pool unless it is a super high profile case like Timothy McVeigh.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:14 AM   #47
hummingbird_206

Quote:
I don't think that's the reason. She was probably crying her eyes out after being served divorce papers.
You meant this as a joke, right?
Old 07-30-2014, 08:18 AM   #48
hummingbird_206

While Walt was fighting Ridges, I expected Branch to come running over the hill and save Walt. But I expected the same thing when Walt was in the showdown with the guy who kidnapped Vic and Sean. They seem to keep setting up Branch to maybe be the hero, but he keeps just not showing up. Poor Branch, he just can't catch a break to prove himself. Good thing Walt is able to save himself!
Old 07-30-2014, 10:32 AM   #49
DouglasPHill

Where the heck did the knife come from? I think the writers missed it with Branch, should have had a deer rifle instead of a shotgun, and should have saved Walt by taking the shot.
DouglasPHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 11:32 AM   #50
RonDawg

Quote:
You meant this as a joke, right?
No. Why would it be a joke? She didn't look happy at being personally served by Walt.

If she wanted to "hide from Branch" why would she do so in Walt's office?
Old 07-31-2014, 11:48 AM   #51
AeneaGames

Quote:
No. Why would it be a joke? She didn't look happy at being personally served by Walt.

If she wanted to "hide from Branch" why would she do so in Walt's office?
She seemed more than okay with signing those divorce papers immediately!
AeneaGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 05:31 PM   #52
hummingbird_206

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeneaGames View Post
She seemed more than okay with signing those divorce papers immediately!
Exactly what I thought. Don't see her being at all upset with the divorce. I think she's probably relieved that he filed so she didn't have to dump him.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:58 PM   #53
mike_k

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Exactly what I thought. Don't see her being at all upset with the divorce. I think she's probably relieved that he filed so she didn't have to dump him.
I agree. I also don't see her hiding from Branch - especially in Walt's office.
mike_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 01:29 AM   #54
RonDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_k View Post
I also don't see her hiding from Branch - especially in Walt's office.
With the exception of Ed Gorski, Vic didn't seem to me the type to hide from anybody, much less Branch.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:48 AM   #55
hummingbird_206

Quote:
With the exception of Ed Gorski, Vic didn't seem to me the type to hide from anybody, much less Branch.
But she does seem the type to hide in Walt's office and cry her eyes out over a husband she obviously doesn't love and really doesn't even respect? That's why I asked if your comment was a joke. I just can't understand why you would think she'd be crying over the divorce.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:22 PM   #56
mike_k

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
But she does seem the type to hide in Walt's office and cry her eyes out over a husband she obviously doesn't love and really doesn't even respect? That's why I asked if your comment was a joke. I just can't understand why you would think she'd be crying over the divorce.
Right - neither scenario makes sense. Unless there is a third scenario that we don't know about, Vic would be out there helping Walt. Ferg should be out helping Walt as well instead of babysitting Vic. I think this was just a lazy way for the writers to have Walt tracking down David Ridges alone without any backup.
mike_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:36 PM   #57
stellie93

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasPHill View Post
Where the heck did the knife come from?
This is what I wondered. Did the crazy guy kill himself?

Why did he want the bar so bad? Couldn't he just start up his own business to launder money? It wouldn't have to make a profit. I thought maybe there was something he wanted hidden away in the bar.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:52 PM   #58
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellie93 View Post
Why did he want the bar so bad? Couldn't he just start up his own business to launder money? It wouldn't have to make a profit. I thought maybe there was something he wanted hidden away in the bar.
I thought his primary motivation was screwing over Henry...

I.e., he wanted it because it was important to Henry, and taking it away would hurt Henry.
Old 08-02-2014, 01:40 AM   #59
RonDawg

Quote:
They had problems, but I didn't get the impression that Vic didn't love Sean. If she didn't, she would have had sex with her boss back when they were staying at that motel in Arizona.

She wasn't exactly smiling when got served those papers either. It seemed like she was reading it over and over again, not initially believing it.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:21 AM   #60
RonDawg

Season Finale discussion here.