TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-21-2014, 08:09 PM   #271
vman41
Omega Consumer

They did it again with spelling out DEC instead of saying deck. Maybe it's some sort of inside joke with the director, or was one character mocking another getting it wrong?
vman41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:00 PM   #272
mattack

Hmm, I didn't notice the DEC thing this time.

I think this show is enjoyable.. The salesman guy is still a total scumbag, but once in a while he seems to infinitesimally redeem himself. (Can't you tell, Cameron is the only one whose name I remember.)

To misquote French Stewart's character on 3rd rock -- the guy's wife would be hotter if she didn't have the mole.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:08 AM   #273
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPSAN View Post
I do not know why, but I am still watching. Will this end, or are they going to go after a 2nd season?!!
Me too. And honestly, I have no idea why.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:09 AM   #274
SeanC
ECT

I'm watching it because of the machine they built.
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:14 AM   #275
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

I love the show, but I'm preparing for the worst from AMC. I find Donna very appealing both in appearance and character. Caught me by surprise when she told Gordon
Spoiler:
she was coming with him; I thought for sure she was leaving him....

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:20 AM   #276
SeanC
ECT

In response to Bierboy's spoiler

Spoiler:
I thought the same and was thrilled they didn't do that, I was surprised that she recommitted to the relationship. I can't wait to see the 4 of them at COMDEX.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:00 AM   #277
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
In response to Bierboy's spoiler

Spoiler:
I thought the same and was thrilled they didn't do that, I was surprised that she recommitted to the relationship. I can't wait to see the 4 of them at COMDEX.
In response to SeanC's spoiler

Spoiler:
me, too! Looking forward to the final two episodes...

XL4
Old 07-22-2014, 09:22 AM   #278
AeneaGames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
I love the show, but I'm preparing for the worst from AMC. I find Donna very appealing both in appearance and character. Caught me by surprise when she told Gordon
Spoiler:
she was coming with him; I thought for sure she was leaving him....
Spoiler:
she found the ring he had bought for her which he told Cameron about, that made her change her mind...

AeneaGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:51 AM   #279
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeneaGames View Post
Spoiler:
she found the ring he had bought for her which he told Cameron about, that made her change her mind...
But
Spoiler:
that was years ago wasn't it? I wouldn't think that would change her mind now. Ack, I just read an ep review that reminded me Gordon had a new one made and gave it to her....

XL4

Last edited by Bierboy : 07-22-2014 at 10:24 AM.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:23 AM   #280
brianric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
But
Spoiler:
that was years ago wasn't it? I wouldn't think that would change her mind now...
Spoiler:
She found the new ring that Gordon was planing on giving her after COMDEX.

brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:07 AM   #281
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianric View Post
Spoiler:
She found the new ring that Gordon was planing on giving her after COMDEX.
Yeah that's what I remembered after reading an ep synopsis...

XL4
Old 07-22-2014, 08:21 PM   #282
vman41
Omega Consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Hmm, I didn't notice the DEC thing this time.
It was in minute 57 when John Bosworth was responding to Cameron's assertion that he lacked the technical prowess to hack into the bank.
vman41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:01 PM   #283
SeanC
ECT

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman41 View Post
It was in minute 57 when John Bosworth was responding to Cameron's assertion that he lacked the technical prowess to hack into the bank.
Spoiler:
I think that was my favorite moment of the show so far actually. That the boss has come to believe in the project so much he is willing to break the law see it to fruition, and enlist the help of an underling, then when everything goes to ****, take the fall for the underling, and believably so. So it got dusty in here when she was hugging him... so what?

Old 07-28-2014, 02:44 AM   #284
Worf

Now, was that printer demo the best or what?

I mean, a fruit company would rip it off a couple of years later with a very similar design.
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:12 AM   #285
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

did Apple really demo the Macinstosh in a hotel suite at Comdex prior to Steve Jobs doing a large public demo?

I just knew the young guy Cameron was talking to worked for Apple. And I was wondering when we would see something from them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:30 AM   #286
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
did Apple really demo the Macinstosh in a hotel suite at Comdex prior to Steve Jobs doing a large public demo?

I just knew the young guy Cameron was talking to worked for Apple. And I was wondering when we would see something from them.
The young guy Cameron was talking to worked for Xerox. He was just attending the Mac demo just like he'd attended the Cardiff demo the previous night.

Interesting how Cameron had spent so much time trying to develop an OS with a "soul" and then Joe and Gordon had to strip it in order to sell the product. Meanwhile, the Mac is introduced and has a "soul" and a graphical interface. Joe suddenly realizes how right Cameron was.

How stupid was Joe for telling the ComputerLand guy that he didn't want to negotiate until tomorrow? 70k units at $900 each is $63 million in revenue. And that's just from one customer and that's just his opening offer. For all we know, ComputerLand won't be interested in buying by tomorrow.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:58 PM   #287
DeDondeEs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
The young guy Cameron was talking to worked for Xerox. He was just attending the Mac demo just like he'd attended the Cardiff demo the previous night.
Yeah shouldn't that Xerox guy have been all PO'd when he saw the Mac and the mouse?

I like all of the hippies they had standing around at the Mac demo including some Andy Warhol look alike.
DeDondeEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:04 PM   #288
desulliv

Watching the Mac demo made me want to fire up my Macintosh SE collecting dust the corner. I wonder where I put those system disks?

Sent from my iPhone
Old 07-28-2014, 09:16 PM   #289
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
I mean, a fruit company would rip it off a couple of years later with a very similar design.
rip it off?? It did remind me of the imagewriter, but heck, weren't a ton of printers like that back then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
I *highly* doubt that. Was there ANY info about the Mac publicly before the Jan 23, 1984 demo? Sure, the Lisa had already shipped..

Even though that was kind of a "cool" scene, I think it jumps to the top of the annoying things about this show.

Sure, it's fiction, but if you take out their company and the product they made, it _seemed_ to be trying to be really close to our real history.. Alternate history but only slightly tweaked from real history.

Plus, I am pretty darn sure they were working on the ROMs pretty much down to the deadline, so a FALL 1983 demo with the fully bootable disk would have been WAY too early..

Also, the scummy salesman guy (I still don't remember any names besides Cameron) didn't realize that was just digitized audio? Even though there were some kinds of speaking programs at least vaguely in that era (I remember 'parrot' on Apple ][s, from a couple of years later).. I suspect that was digitized audio. I haven't tried to find proof at folklore.org though.

Quote:
Interesting how Cameron had spent so much time trying to develop an OS with a "soul" and then Joe and Gordon had to strip it in order to sell the product. Meanwhile, the Mac is introduced and has a "soul" and a graphical interface. Joe suddenly realizes how right Cameron was.

How stupid was Joe for telling the ComputerLand guy that he didn't want to negotiate until tomorrow? 70k units at $900 each is $63 million in revenue. And that's just from one customer and that's just his opening offer. For all we know, ComputerLand won't be interested in buying by tomorrow.
Yeah, that 'soul' stuff seemed so Jobs-ian.

I don't remember what the retail price they quoted, but could they (in the context of the show) even make the computer that cheap to sell wholesale? That sounded WAY too cheap to me.

Oh, I forgot one more thing -- I know I'm being far too practical, but I wish they had realized they could sell BOTH the stripped down/cheaper version and the higher end one with the amazing OS. That would even fit the "sports car" guy's comment about car sales.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:03 AM   #290
jautor
Also wants a pony

Quote:
Also, the scummy salesman guy (I still don't remember any names besides Cameron) didn't realize that was just digitized audio? Even though there were some kinds of speaking programs at least vaguely in that era (I remember 'parrot' on Apple ][s, from a couple of years later).. I suspect that was digitized audio. I haven't tried to find proof at folklore.org though.
No, it wasn't digitized audio in the recorded-WAV sense... It was synthetic speech, which was available (Votrax) in the early 80's. A software version was part of the Macintosh launch demo (a cheat since it required more RAM than the first Mac could support):

http://www.folklore.org/StoryView.py...Intro_Demo.txt

(since you mentioned folklore.org... )

Quote:
I don't remember what the retail price they quoted, but could they (in the context of the show) even make the computer that cheap to sell wholesale? That sounded WAY too cheap to me.
I think they said $900?!?! Yeah, way below cost...
jautor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 01:14 AM   #291
Worf

No, the first demo of the Mac happened in January 1984, prior to that there was no demo. And it was held twice - the later one at a board meeting at a computer club. There's a video on YouTube where they go through the regular board agenda, then Jobs demos it for the second time followed by lots of other demos and other stuff that were part of the computer club meeting.

Apple didn't show it off at Comdex, and certainly not at Comdex 83. In fact, it wasn't even ready then.

It was digitized voice - Jobs nearly tossed the audio part out - they had a weekend to demonstrate something "cool" or Jobs to deep-six the DAC and amplifier.

And yes, it was real generated speech - it actually ran on a 512k Mac just for the demo.

Oh, and no way the Mac was that fast.
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 01:31 AM   #292
AeneaGames

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
No, it wasn't digitized audio in the recorded-WAV sense... It was synthetic speech, which was available (Votrax) in the early 80's. A software version was part of the Macintosh launch demo (a cheat since it required more RAM than the first Mac could support):

http://www.folklore.org/StoryView.py...Intro_Demo.txt

(since you mentioned folklore.org... )
Ahh yes, I remember SAM on the Atari XL! Fun times...
AeneaGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:01 AM   #293
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post
I think they said $900?!?! Yeah, way below cost...
IBM introduced the Personal Computer on August 12, 1981. Pricing started at $1,565 for a configuration with 16K RAM, Color Graphics Adapter, and no disk drives.

So a $900 wholesale price was probably reasonable for how they're portraying everything. (An aside... by inflation, that $900 in 1983 represents about $2,100 today... so the price difference is like we might today feel about saving $1,000 on a purchase.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:45 AM   #294
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:

Oh, I forgot one more thing -- I know I'm being far too practical, but I wish they had realized they could sell BOTH the stripped down/cheaper version and the higher end one with the amazing OS. That would even fit the "sports car" guy's comment about car sales.
This. When the crowd asked the question about that, my first thought was to say, we will have both versions available. Since they know both work, why not?
Old 07-29-2014, 07:50 AM   #295
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
This. When the crowd asked the question about that, my first thought was to say, we will have both versions available. Since they know both work, why not?
Of course it's possible to sell two different models, but I think they made the right call. As the slimy thief guy said, they're in the compatible business. So the only specs that matter are compatibility, speed, and price. That's what will get them orders and move units. Adding in a premium version with the custom OS would just complicate and confuse things, and might actually jeopardize sales of the basic model.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:27 AM   #296
tlc

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
2 more eps in season one, then we'll have to wait and see. the ratings are lower than amc's last two cancellations.

it's not looking good:
Too bad about the ratings, I'm enjoying it. Screw historical inaccuracies. The COMDEX episode was great. Everyone had a role and a trick up their sleeve. Gordon telling (Salesguy) to put on his blue suit then taking on the printer guys... (Salesguy) getting the demo delayed... It was a really good hour of TV.

I can't guess where they'd take it with another season, though. The season finale should have the company revived and the boss reinstated with charges dropped. Then what?
Old 07-29-2014, 09:41 AM   #297
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
Even crazier is that even this, what supposedly is the version that'll be manufactured (remember, it's a many, many moths thing to design and prototype a new system board based on what we were previously told), used a card for the additional memory -- and was apparently even completely removable. The whole thing screams to most anyone that it can be an option; it can even be an aftermarket add-on. And neither require most any sort of additional engineering work.

dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:31 PM   #298
mattack

Quote:
Of course it's possible to sell two different models, but I think they made the right call. As the slimy thief guy said, they're in the compatible business. So the only specs that matter are compatibility, speed, and price.
But that's short term thinking... Yeah, you could argue it's taken a couple of decades for HUUUGE #s of people to agree, but people are finally wising up that "the clones" aren't where it's at. The OS and user interface were ways they were trying to go BEYOND just being a clone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc View Post
Screw historical inaccuracies. The COMDEX episode was great.
Well, like I said, I call it slightly alternate history. So things can be somewhat fake in the story but still should hopefully *mostly* be true to the technology of the time.

...and even the wonderful OS really wasn't THAT advanced in some ways, since after they lobotomized the machine, it was "just" looking for a program with that name. (Also, there were programs, at least in the mid-late 1980s, BESIDES text adventures, that did try to use that kind of interface. My favorite was "Q&A", which I always called "The Infocom database program", since it would let you type whole sentences, and Infocom games was my point of reference.)
Old 07-30-2014, 05:10 AM   #299
weaver

The machine wasn't just "lobotomized," it was running a borrowed copy of MS-DOS.
weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:13 PM   #300
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeneaGames View Post
Ahh yes, I remember SAM on the Atari XL! Fun times...
I remember my Amiga 1000 and the 2000, too bad Commodore f**k it up.

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote