TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-23-2014, 02:18 AM   #9901
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconi View Post
I'm on Mac; I don't have Windows. I'm still using the MFSLive 1.4 CD to do my backup and copying. I don't think it much likes 2 TB drives. Looking for 1 TB drives.
Advice to do expansion as separate step still applies.

Do not use the

-x

option when doing

restore

or

copying via

backup | restore

use

mfsadd

after doing copy and checking drive with

mfsinfo

You could use

hdparm

on the MFS Live cd to make a 2TB think it's a 1TB, if necessary, or just leave it as is and let MFS Live make the third MFS pair as large as it will, and then find a friend with a "Winders" machine that'll let you stick WinMFS on it and finish the expansion on it, even after MFS Live has expanded it.

(which reminds me, I need to see if WinMFS can run, on XP, from a floppy, since it's small enough to fit)

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:09 PM   #9902
84lion

Hello, hope someone can help. I wanted to back up my wife's Tivo HD XL. It's a TCD658000. IIRC, the unit was a refurb unit from Tivo, we got it as a replacement for my wife's initial Tivo which HDD failed within warranty. I'm using winmfs on a Windows 7 computer. Winmfs sees the drive but says itís only 63GB (the drive is a 1 TB WD10EVVS) and says itís not a Tivo drive, therefore will not initiate backup or copy. My wifeís Tivo is currently working fine, boots properly, no issues, no noise issues. I just want to back up the drive so that if the drive would fail, I would have a ready pop-in replacement drive available. Any thoughts on why this issue is occurring? Iím running winmfs as administrator. Thanks!
84lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:50 PM   #9903
jmbach

A couple of questions. One are you right clicking and then clicking on "Run as an Administrator" as you have to do that even if you are logged on as an Administrator. Two are you connecting the drive via sata, esata, or USB to the computer.

As another approach, you can use DvrBARS to make a truncated backup of the drive.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:06 AM   #9904
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84lion View Post
Hello, hope someone can help. I wanted to back up my wife's Tivo HD XL. It's a TCD658000. IIRC, the unit was a refurb unit from Tivo, we got it as a replacement for my wife's initial Tivo which HDD failed within warranty. I'm using winmfs on a Windows 7 computer. Winmfs sees the drive but says itís only 63GB (the drive is a 1 TB WD10EVVS) and says itís not a Tivo drive, therefore will not initiate backup or copy. My wifeís Tivo is currently working fine, boots properly, no issues, no noise issues. I just want to back up the drive so that if the drive would fail, I would have a ready pop-in replacement drive available. Any thoughts on why this issue is occurring? Iím running winmfs as administrator. Thanks!
In addition to the whole "are you really running as admin" thing, be sure it's looking at the right drive, make sure you didn't look at the drive with any software (like Windows disk manager)other than WinMFS, are you connecting the drive directly to a SATA port on the motherboard or using a USB (or firewire) adapter and, a long shot, but what brand is that PC motherboard?

Do you know how to burn a cd-r "as an image"?

(we might want you to boot that PC with something other than the Windows drive at some point)

Old 07-27-2014, 06:38 PM   #9905
master1108

Drive size clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Get a WD20EURS or WD20EURX.

Use WinMFS to copy the old drive to the new after running the WD diagnostic long test on the new drive to make sure it's okay before putting it into service.

When WinMFS finally finishes copying (after looking frozen for awhile), it'll offer to expand into the rest of the space. Tell it no.

Select the new drive and run

mfsinfo

on it and make sure it looks okay and that there's a big Apple Free partition at the end of the Partition Map.

Then back out of that and run

mfsadd

to do the expansion as a separate step.
My understanding is that TiVoHD can't handle more than 1.26 TB. That's 160 GB original plus 1.1 TB maximum addition. Is this true? And if so why replace with a 2 TB drive?

I need to replace a failing hard drive on My HD box. I was able to do a truncated backup with WinMFS however. I am hoping to be able to copy the disk.
master1108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 07:18 PM   #9906
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by master1108 View Post
My understanding is that TiVoHD can't handle more than 1.26 TB. That's 160 GB original plus 1.1 TB maximum addition. Is this true? And if so why replace with a 2 TB drive?

I need to replace a failing hard drive on My HD box. I was able to do a truncated backup with WinMFS however. I am hoping to be able to copy the disk.
All three of the Series 3 models have been able to handle partitions larger than 1.2 since the software was updated to version 11.0h, although it was already up to 11.0k by the time most of us found that out.

You do have to specifically tell WinMFS that it's okay to make the partition bigger than 1.2, and you'll avoid a possible headache by doing the copying or image restoring, saying no when it offers to expand, and then checking the target drive with

mfsinfo

to make sure everything looks okay and only then as a separate step doing the expansion with

mfsadd

since sometimes it doesn't actually do the expansion when you do it all at once.

Old 07-27-2014, 07:44 PM   #9907
84lion

Quote:
In addition to the whole "are you really running as admin" thing, be sure it's looking at the right drive, make sure you didn't look at the drive with any software (like Windows disk manager)other than WinMFS, are you connecting the drive directly to a SATA port on the motherboard or using a USB (or firewire) adapter and, a long shot, but what brand is that PC motherboard?

Do you know how to burn a cd-r "as an image"?

(we might want you to boot that PC with something other than the Windows drive at some point)
Thanks for the feedback. The PC I am using is a Dell Precision M6600. It does have a SATA port but winmfs sees the USB port just fine for the blank drive.
The external adapter that I had the Tivo drive in was a USB 3.0 adapter. The external adapter with the blank drive was a USB 2.0 adapter. I might try putting the Tivo drive in the USB 2.0 adapter instead and see if that makes any difference.
Yes, I can burn a CD-R via an image. I have an older PC running XP with an old copy of Nero that I use to burn CDs. It did a great job with the image file that I used to set the blank WD HDDs using wdidle3.
I appreciate your help. Don't know when I'll be able to get to try the backup again but when I do I'll provide a report.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:56 PM   #9908
master1108

Quote:
All three of the Series 3 models have been able to handle partitions larger than 1.2 since the software was updated to version 11.0h, although it was already up to 11.0k by the time most of us found that out.

You do have to specifically tell WinMFS that it's okay to make the partition bigger than 1.2, and you'll avoid a possible headache by doing the copying or image restoring, saying no when it offers to expand, and then checking the target drive with

mfsinfo

to make sure everything looks okay and only then as a separate step doing the expansion with

mfsadd

since sometimes it doesn't actually do the expansion when you do it all at once.
So the sticky at the beginning of this thread needs to be updated.

Curious, where did you get this information?
Old 07-28-2014, 07:23 PM   #9909
unitron

Quote:
So the sticky at the beginning of this thread needs to be updated.

Curious, where did you get this information?
Here on TCF, somewhere, about 2 years ago, but don't expect me to be able to remember exactly where.

Actually, I first saw someone say that 11.0k would let you break the 1.2TB per partition barrier, and only later saw someone else mention that it was actually in 11.0h that they made whatever change they made that made that possible.

This was about the same time that I was discovering that WinMFS can actually increase the size of that third MFS Media partition to take advantage of extra space, a trick of which I don't think the older MFS Live or MFS Tools are capable.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:30 PM   #9910
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84lion View Post
Thanks for the feedback. The PC I am using is a Dell Precision M6600. It does have a SATA port but winmfs sees the USB port just fine for the blank drive.
The external adapter that I had the Tivo drive in was a USB 3.0 adapter. The external adapter with the blank drive was a USB 2.0 adapter. I might try putting the Tivo drive in the USB 2.0 adapter instead and see if that makes any difference.
Yes, I can burn a CD-R via an image. I have an older PC running XP with an old copy of Nero that I use to burn CDs. It did a great job with the image file that I used to set the blank WD HDDs using wdidle3.
I appreciate your help. Don't know when I'll be able to get to try the backup again but when I do I'll provide a report.
I think there are too many layers of abstraction between USB3 ports and the motherboard for some purposes, and WinMFS on Win7 may be one of them.

USB2 won't be all that much slower that you can't tolerate it just that once.

But as to the cd image burning, I was thinking you might make yourself a bootable copy of the MFS Live cd v1.4 or the latest Ultimate Boot CD, and run

hdparm -N /dev/sdX

where X is wherever you've got that drive hooked up to to see if it shows you a result in the form

number/differentnumber

to see if the explanation for that 63GB figure was some sort of hidden partition or Host Protected Area that got on there somehow.

But try it with USB2 first.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:34 AM   #9911
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Here on TCF, somewhere, about 2 years ago, but don't expect me to be able to remember exactly where.

Actually, I first saw someone say that 11.0k would let you break the 1.2TB per partition barrier, and only later saw someone else mention that it was actually in 11.0h that they made whatever change they made that made that possible.

This was about the same time that I was discovering that WinMFS can actually increase the size of that third MFS Media partition to take advantage of extra space, a trick of which I don't think the older MFS Live or MFS Tools are capable.
That was me. The 11.0h version allowed support of larger WD DVR expander drives, which hit the store shelves, catching TiVo by surprise (they didn't know WD was going to increase the size). TiVo rushed to tack the support onto what they thought was an already finished update, and held off advertising they added it, until they were sure it didn't have issues/bugs.

It seemed to me that increasing the supported external size, would naturally increase the supported internal size. However, the tools/utilities available were, and still are, assuming that 1.26TB is the largest possible size that would work properly, thus requiring somebody to figure out how to use them in a way that would use the new capacity support. I didn't figure that part out. By the time somebody (probably by accident), did something outside the established directions to expand capacity, and had a working 2TB drive, more software releases had pushed out, with some letters skipped, due to i/j/l being too easy to confuse with each other.

The bonus that I was focused on was the increase in limits on various things in the file system/structure. I had kept exceeding limits by recording hundreds of items per folder, in SD, on a 2TB drive, using only 1.26TB of it. This would cause a KS 57/58 GSOD boot-loop, due to the inspect/repair process trying to fix things that involved limits that had been exceeded, but not being able to. The limits could be exceeded, and the TiVo would work. But, if a KS 57 or 58 was initiated, what had to be done to "fix" it would cause loss of recordings. The repairs would be attempted, but the exceeded-limit items were locked to protect loss of recordings, thus the boot-loop, and eventual wiping of the superheader (magic something or other), and an unrecoverable drive, until some members came along, not that long ago, who could tell us how to replace that header, either from a backup, or by using a hex/disk editor. I did determine that one of the items that would contain too many entries, and trip up a KS 57/58 into boot-looping, was the actual log files (or at least one of them). It's been too long for me to remember all of it, and all my notes on it are on a hard drive in a retired XP computer.

It is actually the brainiacs behind tools/utilities for the Roamio, that came up with ways to repair what had been considered unrecoverable for such a long time.

I'm not sure this post is 100% accurate. Too much is from memory, rather than my actual notes I took, to be sure.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 07-29-2014 at 11:43 AM. Reason: context
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 01:15 PM   #9912
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
That was me. The 11.0h version allowed support of larger WD DVR expander drives, which hit the store shelves, catching TiVo by surprise (they didn't know WD was going to increase the size). TiVo rushed to tack the support onto what they thought was an already finished update, and held off advertising they added it, until they were sure it didn't have issues/bugs.

It seemed to me that increasing the supported external size, would naturally increase the supported internal size. However, the tools/utilities available were, and still are, assuming that 1.26TB is the largest possible size that would work properly, thus requiring somebody to figure out how to use them in a way that would use the new capacity support. I didn't figure that part out. By the time somebody (probably by accident), did something outside the established directions to expand capacity, and had a working 2TB drive, more software releases had pushed out, with some letters skipped, due to i/j/l being too easy to confuse with each other.

The bonus that I was focused on was the increase in limits on various things in the file system/structure. I had kept exceeding limits by recording hundreds of items per folder, in SD, on a 2TB drive, using only 1.26TB of it. This would cause a KS 57/58 GSOD boot-loop, due to the inspect/repair process trying to fix things that involved limits that had been exceeded, but not being able to. The limits could be exceeded, and the TiVo would work. But, if a KS 57 or 58 was initiated, what had to be done to "fix" it would cause loss of recordings. The repairs would be attempted, but the exceeded-limit items were locked to protect loss of recordings, thus the boot-loop, and eventual wiping of the superheader (magic something or other), and an unrecoverable drive, until some members came along, not that long ago, who could tell us how to replace that header, either from a backup, or by using a hex/disk editor. I did determine that one of the items that would contain too many entries, and trip up a KS 57/58 into boot-looping, was the actual log files (or at least one of them). It's been too long for me to remember all of it, and all my notes on it are on a hard drive in a retired XP computer.

It is actually the brainiacs behind tools/utilities for the Roamio, that came up with ways to repair what had been considered unrecoverable for such a long time.

I'm not sure this post is 100% accurate. Too much is from memory, rather than my actual notes I took, to be sure.

Hey, I knew it was one of the smart people around here who told me, it's just that there's enough of them to make it hard to keep straight which is which sometimes.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:29 PM   #9913
master1108

Unitron, I followed your advice on a 1.5TB drive WD15EURS. I selected no when prompted to add the partition. Then selected the new drive, mfsadd and yes when prompted to make partition larger than 1TB. So far it appears to be working. The system information screen displays capacity of 237 hours for HD and 2047 hours for SD.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:59 AM   #9914
84lion

Quote:
I think there are too many layers of abstraction between USB3 ports and the motherboard for some purposes, and WinMFS on Win7 may be one of them.

USB2 won't be all that much slower that you can't tolerate it just that once.

But as to the cd image burning, I was thinking you might make yourself a bootable copy of the MFS Live cd v1.4 or the latest Ultimate Boot CD, and run

hdparm -N /dev/sdX

where X is wherever you've got that drive hooked up to to see if it shows you a result in the form

number/differentnumber

to see if the explanation for that 63GB figure was some sort of hidden partition or Host Protected Area that got on there somehow.

But try it with USB2 first.
Just a quick note to update...I finally got a chance to unplug my wife's Tivo long enough to try the backup. I used the USB 2.0 enclosure and it worked just fine (had a minor glitch at first and had to restart winmfs, not sure what that was but ultimately no problem). Made the .tbk file just fine, and copied that to a spare drive I bought. Winmfs said both occurred successfully. It does appear that for some reason winmfs is not too keen on USB 3.0 enclosures...so save those old USB 2.0 ones! I also took the time to make a backup of my other Tivo - worked perfectly. I haven't tried the backups but I trust they're OK. It gives peace of mind to have a ready backup drive in case there would be a failure. Losing the recordings would be a shame but having the ability to get back up quickly is worth it.

Thanks!
Old 08-01-2014, 08:08 AM   #9915
unitron

Quote:
Unitron, I followed your advice on a 1.5TB drive WD15EURS. I selected no when prompted to add the partition. Then selected the new drive, mfsadd and yes when prompted to make partition larger than 1TB. So far it appears to be working. The system information screen displays capacity of 237 hours for HD and 2047 hours for SD.
Just to be picky, you're supposed to select the new drive, then click on

mfsinfo

to make sure everything looks okay, and that you have a nice big fat Apple Free Partition at the end of the Partition Map, close that out and then click on

mfsadd

to do the expansion, and then click on

mfsinfo

again to make sure that Apple Free Partition has been swallowed up into the MFS Media partition that was just before it on the map.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:00 PM   #9916
master1108

Quote:
Just to be picky, you're supposed to select the new drive, then click on

mfsinfo

to make sure everything looks okay, and that you have a nice big fat Apple Free Partition at the end of the Partition Map, close that out and then click on

mfsadd

to do the expansion, and then click on

mfsinfo

again to make sure that Apple Free Partition has been swallowed up into the MFS Media partition that was just before it on the map.
I did do the mfsinfo before and after mfsadd. Sorry, I did leave that detail out. The Apple Free partition was 1.2TB before mfsadd. Yes, it showed as an MFS application partition and MFS media partition after. I was inclind to run mfsinfo out of curiosity anyway. I also saved copies of it before and after.

It looks like this can be done without the extra baby steps. Meaning click on yes when prompted. Have you found problems by not doing the baby steps? Or do you prefer to be on the cautionary side? Again just curious.

Last edited by master1108 : 08-02-2014 at 03:42 PM.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:36 PM   #9917
unitron

Quote:
I did do the mfsinfo before and after mfsadd. Sorry, I did leave that detail out. The Apple Free partition was 1.2TB before mfsadd. Yes, it showed as an MFS application partition and MFS media partition after. I was inclind to run mfsinfo out of curiosity anyway. I also saved copies of it before and after.

It looks like this can be done without the extra baby steps. Meaning click on yes when prompted. Have you found problems by not doing the baby steps? Or do you prefer to be on the cautionary side? Again just curious.
If you mean when it finishes the copy or the restore and says there's extra room and asks if you want to expand, that's when you are not supposed to answer yes, because sometimes it works and sometimes it only appears to work and sometimes I guess it must crap out half way through and leave the drive in an unbootable state of confusion.

I fail to see the point in more people than absolutely necessary having to learn the hard way.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:23 PM   #9918
master1108

Quote:
If you mean when it finishes the copy or the restore and says there's extra room and asks if you want to expand, that's when you are not supposed to answer yes, because sometimes it works and sometimes it only appears to work and sometimes I guess it must crap out half way through and leave the drive in an unbootable state of confusion.

I fail to see the point in more people than absolutely necessary having to learn the hard way.
Yes that is what I meant, so you've answered my question.

Thanks, I do appreciate the help.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:18 PM   #9919
dstroot

what's the best/easiest drive to get these days for an s3? Since it's august 2014 a lot of info is dated... will this work: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-941-_-Product

Would I have to "diddle" it? Sounds dirty...
dstroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 12:58 PM   #9920
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstroot View Post
what's the best/easiest drive to get these days for an s3? Since it's august 2014 a lot of info is dated... will this work: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-941-_-Product

That's the model you want, the WD__EURX (or the older SATA2 EURS works just as well). No wdidle3.exe required, as the AV drives have the problematic "idle mode 3 timer" already set to disabled.

You'd still want to hook it up to a PC to run the WinDLG (WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows) program, to do an "Extended Test" followed by "Write Zeros (using full, not partial, option), followed by the "Quick Test". Viewing the SMART data after tests is a good idea, if you are familiar with what the values mean (as opposed to just going with PASS or FAIL result per test).

That may seem backwards. But I have done extensive testing to verify this is the order to use, if you want to insure the drive is not DOA, and has no sector issues lurking anywhere on the whole drive.

USB 2.0 is excruciatingly slow, while USB 3.0 is faster than the drive is.

The non-quick tests take hours per test to complete, running at the full speed of the drive, which is a max of ~150 MByte/s (1200 Mbit/s).

USB 2.0 is ~60 MBytes/s (480Mbit/s), less 20% overhead, or ~48 MByte/s.
Old 08-03-2014, 03:50 PM   #9921
dstroot

nooneuknow: Awesome - thanks!

All: If my old drive is hosed (which I fear it is) any advice on what to do?
Old 08-03-2014, 03:55 PM   #9922
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
nooneuknow: Awesome - thanks!

All: If my old drive is hosed (which I fear it is) any advice on what to do?
Run the same tests (except write zeroes, if you want to try to copy it) as a starting point.
Old 08-03-2014, 03:59 PM   #9923
dstroot

Will do - thanks!
Old 08-04-2014, 09:30 PM   #9924
unitron

Quote:

That's only a 1TB drive--you can get twice as much space for only $20 more with a WD20EURS or WD20EURX.

And yes, S3s can use all 2TB as of about 3 TiVo operating system software updates ago.

If your current drive is too far dead to copy from, we can hook you up with an image for whichever S3 you have, the 648, the 652, or the 658.

You should run the manufacturer's own diagnostic long test on any new, or new to you, hard drive before putting it into service.

Old 08-09-2014, 08:49 AM   #9925
HomieG
Nowhere Man...

I just ordered this drive for $69 plus tax, free shipping, for my S3 OLED. Supposedly has the WD20EZRX drive in the box, which was listed as working for the Series 3 units in various threads. Also available in-store for same price.

http://www.frys.com/product/7725678

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HomieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 04:46 PM   #9926
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomieG View Post
I just ordered this drive for $69 plus tax, free shipping, for my S3 OLED. Supposedly has the WD20EZRX drive in the box, which was listed as working for the Series 3 units in various threads. Also available in-store for same price.

http://www.frys.com/product/7725678
When on sale from Newegg (up to twice, or more, a month), you can get the WD20EURX AV-GP, which has a year longer warranty, for $5-$15 more, less-tax, free-shipping, tends to live a year longer, doesn't require opening a PC to make a direct SATA connection, and a special-made boot disk to run wdidle3.exe to keep the drive from hanging on any warm/soft reboot (when you menu-reboot, or the TiVo reboots itself).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822236603

(Ignore the link to a "newer model available", which sends you to a drive model from the Purple/PURX line, which has no track record in TiVo, and IMO, shouldn't be used in a TiVo (until more have tried it and reported results and failure-rate).

Older threads and older posts avoided the AV-GP drives, due to the insane price-difference back then. Now that the price difference has been minimized, it's a small price to pay for the 3yr warranty, and not having to open a PC to change the idle3-timer setting (already disabled on AV-GP EURS & EURX drives). It's the only thing that can't be done with USB adapters/docks.

It's unfortunate that there's no way to fix the old threads & posts, including ones posted by me, saying that the AV-GP drives should be avoided, due to the pricing difference from back then. That's outdated advice, since the price difference is often ~$10 now, versus up to $100 then.

As long as you take care of the idle3-timer issue, it will likely work just fine, and the chances of it lasting 3 years are pretty good (but if it's just short of 3 years, you'll be past the 2 year warranty).
Old 08-09-2014, 05:02 PM   #9927
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
That's only a 1TB drive--you can get twice as much space for only $20 more with a WD20EURS or WD20EURX.

And yes, S3s can use all 2TB as of about 3 TiVo operating system software updates ago.

If your current drive is too far dead to copy from, we can hook you up with an image for whichever S3 you have, the 648, the 652, or the 658.

You should run the manufacturer's own diagnostic long test on any new, or new to you, hard drive before putting it into service.
Yes, that's the 1TB model. That's why I said "WD__EURX" drives are the ones.

Some, believe it or not, are still running the stock drive of 160/250GB, and can't justify spending $20 more, to go all the way to 2TB, and/or just can't imagine needing that much storage (they didn't have it before, and made it all this time without it). 1TB also eliminates the added TiVo software versions prerequisites (which requires added steps, if using a new image that doesn't have the 11.0h, or higher, software revision on it), modified steps for upgrade utilities/tools made when 1TB was the bigger size drive it was made to work with, etc...
Old 08-09-2014, 05:09 PM   #9928
HomieG
Nowhere Man...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
When on sale from Newegg (up to twice, or more, a month), you can get the WD20EURX AV-GP, which has a year longer warranty, for $5-$15 more, less-tax, free-shipping, tends to live a year longer, doesn't require opening a PC to make a direct SATA connection, and a special-made boot disk to run wdidle3.exe to keep the drive from hanging on any warm/soft reboot (when you menu-reboot, or the TiVo reboots itself).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822236603

(Ignore the link to a "newer model available", which sends you to a drive model from the Purple/PURX line, which has no track record in TiVo, and IMO, shouldn't be used in a TiVo (until more have tried it and reported results and failure-rate).

Older threads and older posts avoided the AV-GP drives, due to the insane price-difference back then. Now that the price difference has been minimized, it's a small price to pay for the 3yr warranty, and not having to open a PC to change the idle3-timer setting (already disabled on AV-GP EURS & EURX drives). It's the only thing that can't be done with USB adapters/docks.

It's unfortunate that there's no way to fix the old threads & posts, including ones posted by me, saying that the AV-GP drives should be avoided, due to the pricing difference from back then. That's outdated advice, since the price difference is often ~$10 now, versus up to $100 then.

As long as you take care of the idle3-timer issue, it will likely work just fine, and the chances of it lasting 3 years are pretty good (but if it's just short of 3 years, you'll be past the 2 year warranty).
Yep I agree. Credit card gives me another year on the 2 year warranty, making it three years. I don't mind using wdidle and will take my chances on the EZRX. My Samsung 1TB lasted some 6+ years! but they don't make 'me like that anymore! I was able to map out the few bad sectors that put the S3 into a continual reboot loop with HD Regenerator, reload the Sammy wth truncated backup from original 250GB and it is back in and running fine now for 3+ weeks, on v11.0m...but I'm sure that's borrowed time now...hence the forthcoming 2TB upgrade.

Old 08-09-2014, 06:17 PM   #9929
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomieG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.frys.com/product/7725678
WD Desktop Mainstream 2TB Internal Hard Drive Retail Kit WDBH2D0020HNC-NRSN

Frys.com #7725678
Manufacturer: Western Digital
UPC #718037815367
Model #WDBH2D0020HNC-NRSN

WD Blue hard drives deliver solid performance and reliability while providing you with all the space you need to hold an enormous amount of photos, videos and files. These drives are designed for use as primary drives in desktops PCs, notebooks and external enclosures, and for certain industrial applications.
This is a Western Digital BLUE internal 2TB drive and will not work in a Tivo.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 06:37 PM   #9930
HomieG
Nowhere Man...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
This is a Western Digital BLUE internal 2TB drive and will not work in a Tivo.

I'm pretty sure it is not a WD Blue drive. Check the actual model number out at WD website. And the last picture on the Frys website. I thnk they put the wrong description in their ad, but we shall see...