TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-23-2014, 09:05 AM   #1
prikindel

Question TiVo's remote 1-2 switch

Hello folks,

I have a sport bar like setup with 4 Seires 2 boxes, and use 2 remotes: one setup as addresses 1 and 2, and the other as addresses 3 and 4.

Now I bought another remote and try to set it up as 1 and 2, so that I could have 2 remotes that would control the same boxes 1 and 2. And because I already have the boxes set up properly, I only tried to setup the remotes, so I drove away from home and setup remotes by pressing TiVo+Pause and so on. It doesn't seem to work. It just sporadically works on both boxes with either switch positions, solooks like a mess.

My question is - was that my mistake that I tried to setup only the remote? Should I do the full setup like plug off other boxes, etc? Or the remote I bought is defective?
prikindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:27 AM   #2
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Not to sound silly, but you put brand-new batteries in the remote, right?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:06 PM   #3
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by prikindel View Post
Hello folks,

I have a sport bar like setup with 4 Seires 2 boxes, and use 2 remotes: one setup as addresses 1 and 2, and the other as addresses 3 and 4.

Now I bought another remote and try to set it up as 1 and 2, so that I could have 2 remotes that would control the same boxes 1 and 2. And because I already have the boxes set up properly, I only tried to setup the remotes, so I drove away from home and setup remotes by pressing TiVo+Pause and so on. It doesn't seem to work. It just sporadically works on both boxes with either switch positions, solooks like a mess.

My question is - was that my mistake that I tried to setup only the remote? Should I do the full setup like plug off other boxes, etc? Or the remote I bought is defective?
Your post is a bit difficult for me to decipher, but (properly functioning) TiVo remotes with the switch can be set to any address, 0-9, without being anywhere near a TiVo.

Put the switch in the position you want, hold down the TiVo guy button and the pause button until the red activity indicator light on the end comes on and stays on, release both buttons, press the number button for the address you want, and then press the right arrow button to lock it in.

Slide the switch and do it again with the other number you wanted.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:45 PM   #4
prikindel

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Not to sound silly, but you put brand-new batteries in the remote, right?
umm yes
Old 07-23-2014, 12:48 PM   #5
prikindel

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Your post is a bit difficult for me to decipher, but (properly functioning) TiVo remotes with the switch can be set to any address, 0-9, without being anywhere near a TiVo.

Put the switch in the position you want, hold down the TiVo guy button and the pause button until the red activity indicator light on the end comes on and stays on, release both buttons, press the number button for the address you want, and then press the right arrow button to lock it in.

Slide the switch and do it again with the other number you wanted.

Yep, that's exactly what I did, and it works kinda funny. I switch it to 1, and seems that it works with both boxes - the one set to 1, and the one set to 2, but not always - sometimes yes, sometimes not.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:53 PM   #6
squint

You don't even need to press the right button. Any Tivo which is in the system information screen that picks up any signal from any Tivo remote will be set to that remote's code.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:18 AM   #7
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by squint View Post
You don't even need to press the right button. Any Tivo which is in the system information screen that picks up any signal from any Tivo remote will be set to that remote's code.
But we weren't talking about setting the TiVos, we were talking about setting the remotes.

Specifically without involving a TiVo.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:19 AM   #8
squint

I thought the instructions on Tivo's website said to point it at the TiVo and press the right arrow button. I've gotten away with pressing any button to send it to the Tivo. Or not pressing the right button at all if I just wanted to set the remote itself.

I could be mistaken but I did this just a few days ago.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:39 AM   #9
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by squint View Post
I thought the instructions on Tivo's website said to point it at the TiVo and press the right arrow button. I've gotten away with pressing any button to send it to the Tivo. Or not pressing the right button at all if I just wanted to set the remote itself.

I could be mistaken but I did this just a few days ago.
That's when you also want to change the Tivo to respond to the new channel number in the remote, in this case the OP doesn't want to do that, they just want to program an additional remote to an existing channel.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:29 PM   #10
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Was the remote in question acquired new or used? If it was used, the 1-2 switch could be worn out.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:38 PM   #11
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
Was the remote in question acquired new or used? If it was used, the 1-2 switch could be worn out.
Or at least in need of a shot of tuner cleaner.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:58 AM   #12
prikindel

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
kind of brand new, bought on Amazon. It doesn't look like it was used before.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1