TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-09-2013, 06:46 PM   #1
cannonz

Wd1002fbys

Would a Western Digital WD1002FBYS be suitable to use in Tivo?
cannonz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:42 PM   #2
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
It should work ok in any TiVo that takes a SATA drive.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:55 PM   #3
cannonz

It's SATA (652) I also have a 500GB green but that disabling the parking thing looks confusing.

Last edited by cannonz : 12-09-2013 at 09:07 PM.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:52 PM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonz View Post
It's SATA (652) I also have a 500GB green but that disabling the parking thing looks confusing.
It's not that difficult considering you've got to hook the drive up to PC anyway.

The only real catch is it has to be hooked directly to a SATA port on the motherboard (or maybe eSATA if you have an adapter), and you can't go through a USB adapter 'cause it can't get to the hard drive on a low enough level to directly access the firmware that way.

'Course my advice is to go ahead and get a 2TB WD20EURS.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:21 AM   #5
cannonz

That was it can't do it with external (been inside computer enough lately) although may not even have it is WD500AVVS has 7200 spindle speed I would guess the ones with park are 5400. I got the WD1002FBYS for $20 new in box.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:40 AM   #6
cannonz

Do you only have to do the extra step to expand if using larger than 1TB?
Old 12-10-2013, 01:28 AM   #7
unitron

Quote:
That was it can't do it with external (been inside computer enough lately) although may not even have it is WD500AVVS has 7200 spindle speed I would guess the ones with park are 5400. I got the WD1002FBYS for $20 new in box.
According to the Google machine, that 500AVVS is a "green" drive (therefore the RPM may not be a fixed rate but it's going to be closer to 5400 than 7200 most of the time, which inside a TiVo is a good thing because that's plenty fast and means it's cooler and quieter), and it has Intellipark, so you'd need to disable that.

If we're starting with the original 160GB drive the procedure is the same for the 500, the 1TB, or a 2TB.

Use WinMFS to do mfscopy from the 160 to the target.

When it finishes and says you have extra space, do you want to expand, you tell it no.

Then you select the new drive (previously the 160 will have been the "selected" drive), click on mfsinfo to make sure everything looks okay.

The partition map will show a big Apple Free partition at the end of the drive.

You should probably put it in the TiVo and test it at that point before hooking it back up to expand (as far as I know you cannot hotswap, and must shut down the PC before removing the drive, then if it works the TiVo okay hook it back to the PC, boot Windows, start WinMFS again, and select the drive again)

Anyway, at some point after checking the new drive with mfsinfo, whether you test it in the TiVo first or roll the dice, make sure it's the drive selected and click on mfsadd.

If it's a big enough drive it'll say something about limiting a partition to 1TB in size.

Tell it no, do not limit the size.

As long as that 652 (or any Series 3 platform TiVo) is running version 11.0k of the TiVo software (or the recently released 11.0m), it can handle a 2TB drive and a partition over 1TB.

That WD1002FBYS is going to run kinda toasty, and it would make a good drive in a PC running TiVo Desktop.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:45 PM   #8
cannonz

Thanks Unitron good info, who doesn't have to do extra step only those using same size drive as they are cloning? It is version M how recent is it, would think they stopped updating 3's a long time ago although obviously made it half way thru alphabet.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:41 AM   #9
unitron

Quote:
Thanks Unitron good info, who doesn't have to do extra step only those using same size drive as they are cloning? It is version M how recent is it, would think they stopped updating 3's a long time ago although obviously made it half way thru alphabet.
11.0k was the latest version for quite a while.

Then last February people using TiVo Desktop ran into a problem which eventually was traced to the software on the TiVos having, for some strange reason, a hard coded date that resulted in an expired cookie condition being reported to Desktop or detected by Desktop or something like that.

Without going into all the St. TiVo's Day Massacre details, 2 or 3 months ago the S2s were updated from 9.3.2b-... to 9.3.2c-... and S3s were updated from 11.0k-.... to 11.0m-....

Unless some other problem comes up, that's probably going to be the last of the S2 and S3 updates.

If you were copying, for instance, a 652's 160GB drive to another 160, there wouldn't be any extra space, so WinMFS wouldn't detect any and offer to expand into it.

Sometimes doing the expansion as part of the original copy or restore results in it saying that it did it, but it turns out it actually didn't.

Doing it as a separate, extra step avoids that, and it's not much more trouble than having to click the mouse one more time.

You can put a partition bigger than 1TB in a drive intended for an S3, but don't use a drive bigger than 2TB. If it's not impossible it'll involve deep voodoo beyond the abilities and understanding of the average TiVo owner.

Or even me.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:00 AM   #10
cannonz

Should I Msfsupersize after Msfadd?
Old 12-12-2013, 09:00 AM   #11
unitron

Quote:
Should I Msfsupersize after Msfadd?
If you want to do it, you can do it before or after.

I'm not saying there's any reason not to do it, I just never bothered.

Old 07-26-2014, 07:14 PM   #12
cannonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
11.0k was the latest version for quite a while.

Then last February people using TiVo Desktop ran into a problem which eventually was traced to the software on the TiVos having, for some strange reason, a hard coded date that resulted in an expired cookie condition being reported to Desktop or detected by Desktop or something like that.

Without going into all the St. TiVo's Day Massacre details, 2 or 3 months ago the S2s were updated from 9.3.2b-... to 9.3.2c-... and S3s were updated from 11.0k-.... to 11.0m.
Does the c (and obviously m for 3) for series 2's have something to do with being named on tivo.com?
Old 07-27-2014, 07:06 AM   #13
unitron

Quote:
Does the c (and obviously m for 3) for series 2's have something to do with being named on tivo.com?
It shouldn't have any effect one way or another on logging into your account at tivo.com and naming your dvrs, or on whether those names are correctly displayed when you log into your account.

As far as I know, the "c" and "m" updates were strictly to fix the corner they painted themselves into with a hard coded cookie expiration date that borked TiVo Desktop show copying.

Since that interfered with TiVo Desktop and the S2 and S3 TiVos communicating, it might have kept Desktop from displaying the dvr's assigned name, I suppose, although after applying the patch to my PC which was developed by people here, prior to TiVo coming up with a fix, I never saw that problem even when still running "b" and "k".