TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-18-2013, 11:32 AM   #31
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebabinet View Post
Can you share what you've discovered about how to fix this issue?

I believe my TCD652160 has this problem and I'd like to give a shot at fixing it myself using parts from another unit.
Since they are a business, they aren't going to tell you how to do it yourself and avoid paying them to do it.

Which is perfectly understandable.

And I should mention that they are a sponsor here and help keep this site online.

And allow me to repeat, there is more than one possible cause of this problem.

But anybody with any Series 2 or Series 3 model having almost any problem whatsoever should verify that it is not a power supply problem before proceeding to consider other possibilities.

When you say parts from another unit, what other unit do you have in mind?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 01:36 PM   #32
ebabinet

I have narrowed my issue down to a bad RAM chip and am considering replacing it with a chip from an identical Series 3 HD that I bought on Ebay. I would consider paying someone to do the swap for me, but $180 seems a bit high to me, which is what I believe they charge for mother board fixes.
ebabinet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 05:16 PM   #33
unitron

Quote:
I have narrowed my issue down to a bad RAM chip and am considering replacing it with a chip from an identical Series 3 HD that I bought on Ebay. I would consider paying someone to do the swap for me, but $180 seems a bit high to me, which is what I believe they charge for mother board fixes.
I'm curious as to how you determined that it's a bad RAM chip (and which one) and not something else, since there seem to be a number of "things going wrong" which can cause the flashing light.

How large a community are you in?

What you need is someone who can so SMD work.

Anyone who doesn't know what that phrase means is not the repairperson for whom you are looking.

A lot of people who do know what that phrase means also are not actually qualified to do it. Like me.

(although I might try it on my own stuff)

Old 12-26-2013, 05:44 PM   #34
ebabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
I'm curious as to how you determined that it's a bad RAM chip (and which one) and not something else, since there seem to be a number of "things going wrong" which can cause the flashing light.
I ruled out that it wasn't a hard drive issue by disconnecting the hard drive.
I ruled out that it wasn't a power supply issue by testing all the voltage levels from the power supply.
Then, I found out from a knowledgeable source that the Flashing Green Light is often caused by faulty RAM and that if you heat the RAM chips it will temporarily cause the RAM chips to work. I used a hair dryer to heat all the RAM chips a little and then after turning on the Tivo, amazingly it worked. Then through a process of heating one RAM chip at a time, I was able to determine which chip is faulty.

If anyone knows somebody who offers SMD soldering services in the San Francisco Bay Area, please let me know. I'm sure they exist, but haven't found them yet.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:07 PM   #35
unitron

Quote:
I ruled out that it wasn't a hard drive issue by disconnecting the hard drive.
I ruled out that it wasn't a power supply issue by testing all the voltage levels from the power supply.
Then, I found out from a knowledgeable source that the Flashing Green Light is often caused by faulty RAM and that if you heat the RAM chips it will temporarily cause the RAM chips to work. I used a hair dryer to heat all the RAM chips a little and then after turning on the Tivo, amazingly it worked. Then through a process of heating one RAM chip at a time, I was able to determine which chip is faulty.

If anyone knows somebody who offers SMD soldering services in the San Francisco Bay Area, please let me know. I'm sure they exist, but haven't found them yet.
I'm clear on the other side of the country with no real contacts in the Bay area, but that close to Silicon Valley you should be tripping over them.

Start a thread here at TCF in the Help forum entitled "Any SF Bay area SMD wizards available for S3 mobo RAM swap?" and see if you don't get replies from TCF'ers who can do it or who know someone who can.

Does your knowledgeable source have any other helpful tips they'd like to pass along?

Will the heat trick help with dead tuners or scrambled video sync?

Old 12-27-2013, 11:43 AM   #36
squint

Quote:
Just go to your local Craigslist and look for xbox repair, rework, reballing. These people have the infrared rework stations and expertise to replace SMD components on motherboards.
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 12:46 AM   #37
new pioneer 2

S3 HD XL Green Light Flashing Problem

I purchased an S3 HD XL TiVo on ebay that has the flashing green light problem. Tried the obvious "fixes" of the power supply and front panel change with no impact. I was working in my garage here in Nevada and the temperature hit over 98 degrees while I was working with the issue and after reassembly with the original parts and powering up the unit I decided to leave it on for awhile and come back to it later. Still had the flashing power light after 30 minutes but when I cycled the power it came on steady, the unit booted up, and I was able to go thru a guided setup. I powered it down, left it off for 10 minutes and powered it back up and had the flashing green light again. Left it on for 10 minutes cycled power and it booted up just fine. It has been running for about two hours now and I'm going to leave it on over night. These results seem consistent with the "RAM heating" fix that was reported earlier and I was wondering if anyone has successfully repaired a motherboard for this issue. There was mention of going to one of the PlayStation repair shops but I haven't seen any responses if that was successful. Paying $180 to fix this issue seems a bit much since I have bought a couple of Lifetime S3 HDs on ebay for $150 and they both are working fine after replacing the hard drive in one and the power supply in the other.
new pioneer 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:00 AM   #38
ebabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by new pioneer 2 View Post
These results seem consistent with the "RAM heating" fix that was reported earlier and I was wondering if anyone has successfully repaired a motherboard for this issue.
Yes, it does sound consistent, and yes I was successful in repairing my motherboard by replacing the broken RAM. I ended up doing it myself which was an interesting learning experience, but quite difficult.

You'll need to figure out which of the RAM chips is causing the problem - heat one chip with a hair dryer, turn it on, if it's still flashing let it cool and then heat another chip, etc.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:46 PM   #39
squint

Quote:
Originally Posted by new pioneer 2 View Post
There was mention of going to one of the PlayStation repair shops but I haven't seen any responses if that was successful.
I think they charge around $75 for reflows. Since I last posted in this thread, I acquired a TiVo locally that has the Flashing Green Light of Doom. I also recently ordered my own IR/hot air rework station typically used for laptop and console game repairs. I'll post again in this thread once I attempt the repair.

Quote:
Yes, it does sound consistent, and yes I was successful in repairing my motherboard by replacing the broken RAM. I ended up doing it myself which was an interesting learning experience, but quite difficult.

You'll need to figure out which of the RAM chips is causing the problem - heat one chip with a hair dryer, turn it on, if it's still flashing let it cool and then heat another chip, etc.
Did you reflow or replace the RAM chip? Do you remember which chip it was? I want to see if a pattern emerges.

There's another TiVo with the FGLOD on eBay if either of you want another one :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321426846753...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I asked the seller what was wrong with it and he revealed that it has the FLOD. I'm not bidding on it.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:19 PM   #40
ebabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by squint View Post
Did you reflow or replace the RAM chip? Do you remember which chip it was? I want to see if a pattern emerges.
It was the 2nd chip from the back of the unit and I replaced it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squint View Post
There's another TiVo with the FGLOD on eBay if either of you want another one :
No thanks I've had enough SMD for quite a while.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:35 PM   #41
squint

There's another one that was just posted on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141356002689...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Already one bidder. People just never learn. I think they're just going to be passed around from one eBay bargain hunter to another until all of them discover there's no easy fix for this issue.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:37 PM   #42
xinu2k

We had a power outage for about 2 hours and when the power came back on I got the FGLOD. Just enough to cool those ram chips. After seeing this post, I heated the 4 rams chips with a heat gun, plugged it back in and it booted right up. I think I will stick with the current fix until it gets worse or I find a service that can reflow it a for a reasonable price.

Thanks for the tip.
xinu2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 05:49 PM   #43
squint

I ordered a reflow/reball station 5 weeks ago. It still hasn't arrived but it supposedly shipped this Monday.

I have at least two TiVos that need motherboard repairs. One with the FGLOD and another with what I suspect are failing solder balls beneath the processor. What's interesting is that the latter has problems when running warm, the opposite of the FGLOD TiVos.

I have a big pile of broken electronics that I need to fix with the reflow/reball station including some vintage HP calculators and one of my car's smart key fobs. I'll be doing the repairs in ascending order of difficulty so the TiVos will be serviced somewhat near the end.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:27 AM   #44
gkottner

Interesting that this thread showed activity again, right when I needed it. I decided to upgrade my 7 year old lifetimed TivoHD with a WD20eurx drive over the weekend. A side note ... thanks to all who post their experiences upgrading, you were all quite helpful. Specially, the "run as administrator" under Windows 7. After I reinstalled the drive, I got the flashing green light and nothing else. Based on what I read, I just kept the Tivo plugged in and tried restarting after 3 or 4 hours. Came up perfectly. The next day, I lost the ability to see live TV (could change channels, but just got gray screens). I restarted again and all has been fine since. This Tivo is mainly a backup unit, so my game plan is simply to see if it stays working without doing anything else. My "old" eyes didn't see any bulging with the power supply capacitors and my chat with Weaknees (as well as the previous posts here) make me believe it's a motherboard issue. I'll post back later if I see any changes in my Tivo's behavior.
gkottner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:19 PM   #45
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkottner View Post
Interesting that this thread showed activity again, right when I needed it. I decided to upgrade my 7 year old lifetimed TivoHD with a WD20eurx drive over the weekend. A side note ... thanks to all who post their experiences upgrading, you were all quite helpful. Specially, the "run as administrator" under Windows 7. After I reinstalled the drive, I got the flashing green light and nothing else. Based on what I read, I just kept the Tivo plugged in and tried restarting after 3 or 4 hours. Came up perfectly. The next day, I lost the ability to see live TV (could change channels, but just got gray screens). I restarted again and all has been fine since. This Tivo is mainly a backup unit, so my game plan is simply to see if it stays working without doing anything else. My "old" eyes didn't see any bulging with the power supply capacitors and my chat with Weaknees (as well as the previous posts here) make me believe it's a motherboard issue. I'll post back later if I see any changes in my Tivo's behavior.

A gray screen (just uniform, featureless gray) can indicate a problem with communication between the drive and the motherboard.

Make sure the combo cable is properly seated on the drive and check the motherboard end of the data part as well.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:59 AM   #46
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
A gray screen (just uniform, featureless gray) can indicate a problem with communication between the drive and the motherboard.

Make sure the combo cable is properly seated on the drive and check the motherboard end of the data part as well.
It's also a well-known issue with the S3 & HD series, that plagued them until software 11.0g, which I have some inside knowledge about.

TiVo denied it was a (known) problem, right up until the official TiVo staff leaked it to the call center people, that a fix was imminent.

I had never once had it happen to me, until the "fix" rolled. Then, I got hit by it as often as those who had been complaining about it for years. It was a hardware issue, that they made a software band-aid for. For some reason, the new cases were limited to a small percentage of markets, clustered on/near the coasts. They opted to leave it as it was, since the numbers made happy, far exceeded the angry new ones experiencing it, post band-aid.

While it is in the realm of possibility that a hard drive issue could cause a uniform gray screen, the more known issue was a gray screen, or black screen, depending if you had changed the letterboxing borders from the default gray, to black.

If the gray you describe happens with the letterboxing borders set to black, that's a way to differentiate between any possible confusion, as to a cause.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:31 AM   #47
gkottner

Quote:

Last night I decided I'd screw the cover back on, so I checked the cables at the same time. They didn't appear to be loose, but I went ahead and unplugged and re-plugged. The gray screen did only happen that one time and rebooting appeared to fix it.

And since I don't know how to copy 2 quotes, my software version is at 11.0m.

As a side note, my HD was only unplugged about 5 minutes and when I plugged it back in, I got the flashing green light again. Again after keeping it plugged in for about 4 hours, it started up and and all was well again with recordings and watching live TV.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:09 PM   #48
Wulf

Description of the Flashing Green Light Please?

I might have the same or related problem that I just posted here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=519945

On mine, the green light is on steady, but it blinks off once every minute or two when my display goes black. Is this the same blinking behavior described in this thread? I'm going to leave my Tivo on for a few hours and see what happens.

Thanks....
Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 06:43 PM   #49
gkottner

It's a continual flashing light. Once or twice a second. The Tivo does nothing else. Hope that helps.
Old 08-10-2014, 05:20 AM   #50
Wulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkottner View Post
It's a continual flashing light. Once or twice a second. The Tivo does nothing else. Hope that helps.
Yes, thank you. That's a different behavior from my problem.
Wulf is offline   Reply With Quote