TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:41 PM   #91
mrfantasy

My Roamio was rebooting around once a day on 20.3.8, but since 20.4.1 it had stopped rebooting, and as of the 20.4.2 install hasn't restarted either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game Master View Post
That is a big problem with TiVo that needs to be fixed. I was in the middle of recording The Hey Dude 25th Anniversary Marathon when my TiVo did a reboot, and that's not the first time ether, it's ben happening alot.

It's making me loos faith in TiVo.

mrfantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:42 AM   #92
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
Were did you get this ??
https://github.com/kulick/wwx2014

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ku...er/WWX2014.pdf
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:12 AM   #93
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
If I remember correctly those were the codes we used to use in the beta testing to flag entries/logs for the tech team to examine more closely, not sure they would do anything on a non-beta Tivo
Beta testers were just heavily instructed to use them. They are functional for everybody. A call to a CSR, in a case where they place your TiVo being under "log monitoring", results in instruction on how/when to use them. Even when not on log monitoring, they are active, and place markers in your logs. So, if you use them, and call right-away, they can still be of use.

911-clear = A simple marker of the date and time, mostly used to mark after an unexpected reboot, or an issue that forces you to pull the power to reboot.
777-clear = The same, plus additional diagnostic logging is initiated, mostly for anything that can cause AV issues.

Both are ONLY functional from Live TV viewing mode.

911-clear: Get to Live TV ASAP, and use it after any event you want a SIMPLE marker to in your logs.

777-clear: Generally only useful when watching Live TV in realtime (not in the back-buffer), to help diagnose what just caused your AV glitch.

BOTH can be used as many times as needed, but require TWO back to back MANUAL service connections to insure TiVo gets everything they may need.

I use them to help me find my place(s) when viewing my logs via TiVo Backdoor.

Before anybody asks how to get there, consider that if you don't know how to get there, you probably won't know what to do with what is in there.

How to get there: clear-clear-enter-enter-0 from the System Information screen. Don't use if you aren't willing to risk the TiVo becoming unstable, possibly requiring a reboot to resolve.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:40 AM   #94
jollygrunt777

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
Very interesting...

Stream Content to browser - I am really looking forward to that!

Could "xbox", under hypothetical, also include ps3/4 and WiiU even though it's not actually stated?
jollygrunt777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:56 AM   #95
Grakthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollygrunt777 View Post
Could "xbox", under hypothetical, also include ps3/4 and WiiU even though it's not actually stated?
It could, but Xbox has been more media friendly than the PS3/4 so I think Xbox One would be their first target and most likely partner.
Grakthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:38 AM   #96
elwaylite

Out of curiosity, missing Amazon as a video provider did not remove the tv show/movie file download ability did it?
Directv HR44/200
elwaylite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:05 AM   #97
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwaylite View Post
Out of curiosity, missing Amazon as a video provider did not remove the tv show/movie file download ability did it?
No
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:25 AM   #98
elwaylite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post
No

Thanks.

I use this for like 12 shows a week, would hurt if they did LOL
Directv HR44/200
elwaylite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:16 PM   #99
ustavio

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
Beta testers were just heavily instructed to use them. They are functional for everybody. A call to a CSR, in a case where they place your TiVo being under "log monitoring", results in instruction on how/when to use them. Even when not on log monitoring, they are active, and place markers in your logs. So, if you use them, and call right-away, they can still be of use.

911-clear = A simple marker of the date and time, mostly used to mark after an unexpected reboot, or an issue that forces you to pull the power to reboot.
777-clear = The same, plus additional diagnostic logging is initiated, mostly for anything that can cause AV issues.

Both are ONLY functional from Live TV viewing mode.

911-clear: Get to Live TV ASAP, and use it after any event you want a SIMPLE marker to in your logs.

777-clear: Generally only useful when watching Live TV in realtime (not in the back-buffer), to help diagnose what just caused your AV glitch.

BOTH can be used as many times as needed, but require TWO back to back MANUAL service connections to insure TiVo gets everything they may need.

I use them to help me find my place(s) when viewing my logs via TiVo Backdoor.

Before anybody asks how to get there, consider that if you don't know how to get there, you probably won't know what to do with what is in there.

How to get there: clear-clear-enter-enter-0 from the System Information screen. Don't use if you aren't willing to risk the TiVo becoming unstable, possibly requiring a reboot to resolve.
Superb explanation. It also helps to make note of the date, time and particular issue, problem or symptoms experienced. A little sleuthing can also help i.e what else was going on when the problem occurred? for example, some of the Netflix related reboots I experienced in the past occurred suspiciously close to scheduled service connections. As it turned out, TiVo discovered a service connection related reboot bug that was fixed in a subsequent update.

I keep a spiral note book to maintain my own "log" of details. That and the 911 and 777 codes can and have proven helpful when talking to a CSR. It goes on record and, in my case has, at times enabled communication with folks higher up the food chain.

RE: TiVo backdoor. Heed this admonition. Sometimes it's better to not "boldly go where no one has been before".

Last edited by ustavio : 07-17-2014 at 12:22 PM.
ustavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 02:36 PM   #100
KLINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret View Post
(sorry for the delay in posting these)

We have begun updating TiVo Roamio, TiVo Premiere, and TiVo Mini boxes with the 20.4.2 "Summer Update". There is still time to request an early update with tivo.com/priority. Customers that don't request a priority update will be automatically updated by the end of the month.

Here are some of the changes:
- TiVo Premiere and TiVo Mini boxes will now have the same visual look as TiVo Roamio. (Colors & font.)
- The UI is now written in Haxe instead of Adobe Air/Flash, which is why things are faster than in 20.4.1.
- My Shows now offers an optional left-column with a list of categories you can turn on/off & rearrange to make it easier to find the show you're looking for. Categories include: All, Partially watched, Going away soon, TV Series, Movies, Kids, Sports, News, Suggestions, Video Providers, and Devices. Use the A button in My Shows to change these settings.
Video:

click here to watch the video
You need to upgrade your Flash Player

- If you press INFO on a show in the Guide, it will indicate if that episode is available from a video provider, so you can watch it right away.
- HuffPost Live app now available in Apps & Games
- Fixed a problem where large recordings couldn't always be permanently deleted from the recently deleted folder
- Fixed issues related to video freezing when the TiVo's HDMI was connected to an Xbox
- DVR diagnostics should now correctly report QAM modulation
- Fixed issues related to HDMI snow appearing when YouTube videos changed frame rate
- Default recording options should now be respected when a WishList is set up from Search
- Fixed performance problems related to transferring video from a Roamio
- Fixed the occasional bursts of static some customers would randomly hear
- Fixed the pixelation that would appear at the beginning of downloaded videos

--Margret
Margret-

It did not fix the problem of large recordings not being permanently deleted on my Elite box. I sent you an email last Thur. on this subject and I still can't delete the recording.
KLINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:07 PM   #101
mattack

The Aspect ratio bug that others have mentioned is I think the only really 'bad' regression that I've seen that I can think of at the moment... It seems to happen at least once a day, where I have to hit zoom zoom zoom to get back to Panel mode.. (While I'm recording way more HD stuff than I used to -- ironically since the HD group is now gone -- I still record a lot of SD stuff for space reasons.. currently, I think both of my Tivos that I actually use are on stock drives..)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:33 AM   #102
innocentfreak

Just had my first random reboot on my Pro. I was fast forwarding and it froze. Then resumed for a second only to then reboot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:41 AM   #103
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ustavio View Post
Superb explanation. It also helps to make note of the date, time and particular issue, problem or symptoms experienced. A little sleuthing can also help i.e what else was going on when the problem occurred? for example, some of the Netflix related reboots I experienced in the past occurred suspiciously close to scheduled service connections. As it turned out, TiVo discovered a service connection related reboot bug that was fixed in a subsequent update.

I keep a spiral note book to maintain my own "log" of details. That and the 911 and 777 codes can and have proven helpful when talking to a CSR. It goes on record and, in my case has, at times enabled communication with folks higher up the food chain.

RE: TiVo backdoor. Heed this admonition. Sometimes it's better to not "boldly go where no one has been before".
Thank You.

It sounds like we both do things in a way that makes it possible to compare notes, then. It does help A LOT to write down when the sequences are used, and why they were used. It can also help a high-tier TiVo CS Rep to find their way and know why you chose to mark that spot. It isn't always obvious, just by seeing the timestamp and not knowing what it was put there for. If you can tell them when and why, that makes it much easier for them to know what to look for, as well as for your own convenience.

Far too often, a CSR looking at logs, not knowing what they are looking for, will look for things like "rebooted due to power loss", or "TA communication link down", when those events may have been your own intentional actions as part of your own troubleshooting.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:43 AM   #104
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Ok, my Roamio totally, well, I don't know what it did tonight. It had been pretty much 100% rock solid, I've owned it for quite a while, etc. I got early release of the new software and its been running fine..

It had apparently crashed a few times and missed chunks of 8pm and 9pm recordings. Recording history stated that it "lost power" for all 8pm and 9pm programs but we didn't lose power and the XL4 taped stuff fine all night. When I powered on my tv around 9:45pm it said it didnt have any guide data (though the guide was populated) and was at 95% of processing a download. It then hung on a black screen when I tried to play a recording, HDUI reset did nothing and after a few minutes it rebooted on its own. I had nothing in the todo (and all my season passes were greyed out like there were no upcoming shows) and it was scheduled to call home in one hour.
I forced a connection and after it processed, I have my todo list back, but I can see that its going to record shows it already did, like it has forgotten everything its recorded.
A few minutes ago, I found that its forgotten my customizations to the channel lineup, with all of the SD channels active and many of the HD's unchecked, etc.

So, my Roamio has basically been rolled back. Yay. Now I get to hope that this isnt the 1st sign that Ive got a dying unit.
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:40 AM   #105
ustavio

Something wacky must be going on with TiVo. Same thing I describe as happening earlier with my Roamio...loss of to Do list, loss of lifetime subscription, etc...and the multiple service connections necessary to restore normal operations, also occurred with our Series 3 TiVo HD last night. This time a soft reboot was necessary but it resulted in a frozen UI. It took a hard reboot to restore normal operation. And this with no summer update!

This all falls into the WTF category. I am not excited or optimistic about the update.
ustavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:58 AM   #106
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
The Aspect ratio bug that others have mentioned is I think the only really 'bad' regression that I've seen that I can think of at the moment... It seems to happen at least once a day, where I have to hit zoom zoom zoom to get back to Panel mode....
And what is VERY irritating is they won't admit there's a problem. I have posted this issue in Margret's Twitter feed and e-mailed her, and I haven't gotten the courtesy of a response...

XL4
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:24 PM   #107
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

20.4.2 Release Notes

And I finally received this from Margret today - " Sorry. We are testing a fix now. It should be included in the next update." She doesn't say when....

XL4
Old 07-18-2014, 05:34 PM   #108
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
And I finally received this from Margret today - " Sorry. We are testing a fix now. It should be included in the next update." She doesn't say when....
To be fair, she probably doesn't know that yet.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:12 PM   #109
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ustavio View Post
Something wacky must be going on with TiVo. Same thing I describe as happening earlier with my Roamio...loss of to Do list, loss of lifetime subscription, etc...and the multiple service connections necessary to restore normal operations, also occurred with our Series 3 TiVo HD last night. This time a soft reboot was necessary but it resulted in a frozen UI. It took a hard reboot to restore normal operation. And this with no summer update!

This all falls into the WTF category. I am not excited or optimistic about the update.
Well, that gives me some hope that it's some sort of back-end software issue, which is preferable to my hardware dying!!
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:21 PM   #110
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
And what is VERY irritating is they won't admit there's a problem. I have posted this issue in Margret's Twitter feed and e-mailed her, and I haven't gotten the courtesy of a response...
I've still have not run into this from either of my Roamios. Whether HD content or SD content it has worked the same way as before.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:16 PM   #111
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I've still have not run into this from either of my Roamios. Whether HD content or SD content it has worked the same way as before.
Her response (above) indicates it's a known issue...

XL4
Old 07-22-2014, 11:34 PM   #112
innocentfreak

Had my second reboot now since the update. It seems like it is the return of a previous issue. It only seems to happen if I hit the buttons quickly to fast forward. The TiVo locks up and then reboots.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:14 AM   #113
S3Convert

My roamio reboots every other day, usually when switching channels. The screen goes blank and it goes through a 5 minute start up. A real pain in the ass. I emailed Margaret two weeks ago and hope a fix is coming

I have not received the summer update. Still at 20.4.1.
S3Convert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:10 AM   #114
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3Convert View Post
My roamio reboots every other day, usually when switching channels. The screen goes blank and it goes through a 5 minute start up. A real pain in the ass. I emailed Margaret two weeks ago and hope a fix is coming

I have not received the summer update. Still at 20.4.1.
I'd suggest bringing this up in another thread since your issue has nothing to do with 20.4.2 which is the focus of this thread.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:40 AM   #115
snitm

I found a bug with 20.4.2 and SD menus. If I use SD menus then selecting video ondemand services brings up a screen that says my local network connection is down. But if I go to the network settings and test the connection (or connect to Tivo) all works fine. If I then swicth back to HD menus I can easily access Netflix, Comcast on Demand, etc.

So it seems there is a bug in the old-style SD menu (which presents a different way to navigate to video ondemand services.
snitm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:42 PM   #116
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

You're in the wrong forum, Roamios only have the HD menu choice. Go post over in Premiere.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:24 PM   #117
Game Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfantasy View Post
My Roamio was rebooting around once a day on 20.3.8, but since 20.4.1 it had stopped rebooting, and as of the 20.4.2 install hasn't restarted either.
My TiVo Roamio was on 20.4.1 when it was rebooting like that. I can't try the 20.4.2 in tell Aug. 15th or 16, because I am up north.
Game Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:38 PM   #118
S3Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
I'd suggest bringing this up in another thread since your issue has nothing to do with 20.4.2 which is the focus of this thread.
I get your point. I was reading through this thread and a previous post mentioned with the new update a similar issue. Thus my post; not a hijack.
S3Convert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:13 AM   #119
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3Convert View Post
I get your point. I was reading through this thread and a previous post mentioned with the new update a similar issue. Thus my post; not a hijack.
Still not the best place since the root of your reboot issues can't possibly be 20.4.2, there are more than a few threads dealing with reboots out there.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:39 AM   #120
SatManager

I just got my Roamio Pro just two weeks ago and it just downloaded the new update. There is a message that is displayed across the top that I haven't yet figured out how to select the update button yet. I have been worried to do anything else without asking since this is my first TiVo, but how do I update the software?
SatManager is offline   Reply With Quote