Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-15-2014, 07:30 AM   #2551
sharepoint

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
PM sent. Welcome to the community.
Would you please PM me with the image (TiVo TCD748000 Premiere XL). I'm in a bind and could desperately use your help. Thanks a million!

Last edited by sharepoint : 07-15-2014 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Updated correct model #
sharepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:19 AM   #2552
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharepoint View Post
Would you please PM me with the image (TiVo TCD748000 Premiere XL). I'm in a bind and could desperately use your help. Thanks a million!
Sent.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:24 PM   #2553
sharepoint

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
Sent.
Thanks a million! Saved me a whole lot of cash and grief!
sharepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:03 PM   #2554
Brent W

It's been a few years since I've been around. I came back to find this thread. I used this process 3+ years ago on one of my premieres, and it worked great going from the stock drive to a 2tb drive. I want to now expand a 2nd tivo I have. Without going through and re-reading 86 pages of post, are we still limited at 2tb? or can I use a 3 or 4tb drive. Again, I'll be starting with a stock tivo drive, but may also be interested in upgrading the 2tb tivo as well, if I can go bigger.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:03 PM   #2555
jmbach

The short answer is that you can go up to 4TB.... But it is not straight forward yet.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:41 PM   #2556
magnumis

I burned the ISO from this thread and the pc continues to reboot and the Linux boot up never completes.

Any suggestions? I have also tried the iso linked from http://www.rosswalker.co.uk/tivo_upgrade/ with the same reboot issue.

When the pc starts I can see Linux starting up but it never completes.

I have a Tivo premier with a bad drive. A good image thanks to TivoCommunity and a new hard drive ready to use. I would appreciate any suggestions to help get this tivo working again. Thanks
magnumis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 01:23 PM   #2557
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumis View Post
I burned the ISO from this thread and the pc continues to reboot and the Linux boot up never completes.

Any suggestions? I have also tried the iso linked from http://www.rosswalker.co.uk/tivo_upgrade/ with the same reboot issue.

When the pc starts I can see Linux starting up but it never completes.

I have a Tivo premier with a bad drive. A good image thanks to TivoCommunity and a new hard drive ready to use. I would appreciate any suggestions to help get this tivo working again. Thanks
I've no idea what the problem is, but if it is a Premiere "image" that you acquired separately, then you almost certainly need to use DvrBARS, which is a wndows program. JMFS is for copying an existing drive to a new one (and expanding if the new drive is larger) and can neither create nor restore an image.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:26 PM   #2558
magnumis

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
I've no idea what the problem is, but if it is a Premiere "image" that you acquired separately, then you almost certainly need to use DvrBARS, which is a wndows program. JMFS is for copying an existing drive to a new one (and expanding if the new drive is larger) and can neither create nor restore an image.
It worked perfect! Thank you for pointing me to the correct program to use.
magnumis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:43 PM   #2559
jefeuno

I'm in the process of running JFMS to upgrade from 320 gb Premiere to a 2tb wd20eurs, with a mfg date of September 2014. I am about 1/2 way through the process. JFMS is reporting 2 errors so far during the "non-tried blocks copying", one I think was approx. 83000kb and the other was 152kb.
1. Do these errors matter or are they expected?
2. Do I need to do anything after I reinstall the drive into the Premiere? (Like marry the drive - could someone explain that process (if necessary)?
3. Do I need to use the wdidle program to turn off the drive head parking (or is it already off due to the late mfg date)?
Thanks in advance for your help!
jefeuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 08:55 PM   #2560
jmbach

Errors are not expected unless the drive is going bad. Whether they are significant, you won't know until you boot the drive up. Chances are if the original drive boots okay, the copy will also. Consider doing a KS 57 on the new drive upon boot up. If it passes, then chances are that the errors may only show up as a glitch in a recording.
As long as the drive is going into the same machine the source drive came from, nothing else is needed.
Would not expect to need to use wdidle3 on an AV drive.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:26 PM   #2561
jefeuno

Thanks jm!

Can you tell me how long each retry to recover bad sectors? The total of errors were 7. Right now it is on pass 1, and it has been 25 minutes since the last sector was successfully read? I understand that it will make 3 attempts to recover. Thanks!
Old 10-30-2014, 07:03 PM   #2562
jefeuno

Smile Update - JFMS is amazing - 320 to 2tb upgrade w/o a hitch

Thanks everyone I successfully upgraded using JFMS, went from a 320gb to 2tb. I also learned how to create a bootable USB stick with JFMS, as my computer refused to load it from a bootable cd. (Something about javaMFS and SATA issues, which I found the answers to at about page 50 of this thread.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:57 AM   #2563
jud1929

Firstly , thank you so much for all your instructions and help on these pages.

I'm working on a Premiere XL which I purchased refurbished and had previously been expanded to 1Tb.

The problem I'm having is expanding the new 2Tb to actually be available to record 2Tb. Right now it shows 1Tb.

I used ddrescue to copy the failing 1Tb disk to a 2Tb disc. This worked beautifully. Strangely it showed no errors but the original disk had been looping during guided setup.

When I use Winmfs I can select the tivo disc but then Mfsinfo and Mfsadd show 'no tivo disc'.

I can't boot a Mfslive Cd. The error message is something along the lines of 'can not turn on cooling device, although the fan is whirling away.

My computer is a Presario SR1500NX with WinXP and the discs are connected to Ide thru a Sata adaptor when necessary.

Thanks so much for any help you can give.

P.S. I purchased the Premeire XL refurbished and didn't realize the hard drive had been changed until I opened the Tivo.

Last edited by jud1929 : 11-04-2014 at 11:01 AM. Reason: to add info
jud1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:30 AM   #2564
jmbach

If you used WinMFS on the image, more than likely you buggered up the image. However, if the 2TB boots and run just fine you have at least a good image to work with. A Premiere XL image comes natively a 1TB in size. To expand a Premiere image you have to use JMFS.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:54 AM   #2565
lpwcomp

WinMFS doesn't work on Premieres. That's why the subject of this thread - JMFS - was created..

Old 11-04-2014, 01:46 PM   #2566
jud1929

Well, duh. Thanks so much.

I ran jmfs with no problem and the Tivo looks like it is running just fine. My only excuse is that I upgraded a Series 2 last week and was following the same instructions - not a good idea.

Again, thank you very much.
jud1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 02:56 PM   #2567
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by jud1929 View Post
Well, duh. Thanks so much.

I ran jmfs with no problem and the Tivo looks like it is running just fine. My only excuse is that I upgraded a Series 2 last week and was following the same instructions - not a good idea.

Again, thank you very much.
The point is: If you let WinMFS even try to look at a Premiere drive, historically the drive will tend to be never be right again. WinMFS tends to do something which corrupts Premiere drives (without doing more than running WinMFS, even if all it does is report it doesn't recognize it).

If you tried using WinMFS, and the drive seems to work. You may be very lucky, or you will have issue in the future, likely upon the next software update TiVo sends out, if not before then. If I had accidentally run WinMFS on a Premiere drive, I would not trust it came out unscathed, regardless of if it seems fine.

So, the takeaway is: Never run WinMFS on a Premiere drive (and don't be snarky with those who are trying to be helpful).
Old 11-05-2014, 03:07 PM   #2568
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
The point is: If you let WinMFS even try to look at a Premiere drive, historically the drive will tend to be never be right again. WinMFS tends to do something which corrupts Premiere drives (without doing more than running WinMFS, even if all it does is report it doesn't recognize it).

If you tried using WinMFS, and the drive seems to work. You may be very lucky, or you will have issue in the future, likely upon the next software update TiVo sends out, if not before then. If I had accidentally run WinMFS on a Premiere drive, I would not trust it came out unscathed, regardless of if it seems fine.

So, the takeaway is: Never run WinMFS on a Premiere drive (and don't be snarky with those who are trying to be helpful).
I interpreted his reply as self-criticism rather than snarky.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:51 PM   #2569
unitron

The "Well, duh." should have been a HomerSimpson-esque "Doh!"
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:27 PM   #2570
lpwcomp

I propose a new emoticon:

O'\

hand slapping forehead

Old 11-08-2014, 01:02 AM   #2571
unitron

Quote:
I propose a new emoticon:

O'\

hand slapping forehead
Let's see how it works right-handed.

/'O
Old 11-08-2014, 07:35 PM   #2572
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Let's see how it works right-handed.

/'O
I should've used 0 instead of O. I was envisioning it as seen fom the side. Your way, one is hitting oneself in the temple, not the forehead.

Old 11-09-2014, 07:42 PM   #2573
unitron

Quote:
I should've used 0 instead of O. I was envisioning it as seen fom the side. Your way, one is hitting oneself in the temple, not the forehead.
My way is just the mirror image of your way, so any defect in mine is present in yours.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:08 PM   #2574
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
My way is just the mirror image of your way, so any defect in mine is present in yours.
Not true. While the graphic itself is a mirror image, the accompanying text (right-handed) makes it clear that yours is as viewed from the front, thus the "hand" is hitting the right temple. I specifically stated forehead.

Old 11-27-2014, 03:16 AM   #2575
rlpowell

Hey all. I have a premiere (TCD746320, judging by the service number) with one of the official Western Digital external drives. The drive in question appears to be getting wonky, and I want to replace it (it's waaaay past the MTBF, for sure).

I'm fully prepared to do whatever technical craziness I need to do (I'm a linux sysadmin by trade), but what I'm wondering is: what's my best upgrade path here? Can I upgrade the external drive and preserve its data? Do I need to copy everything off and divorce the drive? What would you suggest?
rlpowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 08:43 AM   #2576
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpowell View Post
Hey all. I have a premiere (TCD746320, judging by the service number) with one of the official Western Digital external drives. The drive in question appears to be getting wonky, and I want to replace it (it's waaaay past the MTBF, for sure).

I'm fully prepared to do whatever technical craziness I need to do (I'm a linux sysadmin by trade), but what I'm wondering is: what's my best upgrade path here? Can I upgrade the external drive and preserve its data? Do I need to copy everything off and divorce the drive? What would you suggest?
Here's what I would do...

1. Copy everything you can to your computer and divorce the external drive.

2. Use jmfs to copy the 320GB internal to a 2TB drive, then expand it.

3. Copy the shows back to the TiVo at your leisure.

When you're shows copying to the computer, use the transport stream method. In TiVo Desktop that means having the "Use fastest transport method" box checked. There's a similar option in kmttg but I don't remember exactly where it is. When you copy them back to the TiVo, pull them from the TiVo menus instead of pushing them from the PC.

If you have a lot of copy-protected shows it's possible to copy and consolidate both drives onto a single new drive. That's MUCH more complicated and I would send a PM to jmbach begging for assistance.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 09:32 PM   #2577
rlpowell

That's great, thank you!
rlpowell is offline   Reply With Quote