TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-28-2014, 09:36 AM   #1
cheesesteak
Meh.

Suits - Season 4 (spoilers)

I've come to the realization that every male character on this show is a jerk. Then they up the ante by casting a new male character (Jeff Malone) who sexually harasses Jessica every fifteen minutes. Pearson Spector's HR department must not have a mandatory workplace safety training video.

I think I'm getting to the point where I'll just ffwd through Louis' scenes. They're beyond silly and his "I eat c*cks for breakfast, lunch and dinner" statement to Malone was just an stupid excuse for this show to push the language barrier even further than it normally does.

Savoir-Faire is everywhere!
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 12:33 PM   #2
Agatha Mystery

His 'breakfast' comments pushed the story of Jeff 'hitting' on Louis. However, Louis's scene at the end was actually really good. Louis has tried to be a better person in the last year, and Jeff pushed him back into being a jerk.

But yes, I'd call Jeff's behavior sexual harassment as well. I think he's realized that his behavior has taken him somewhere in the office where he didn't intend, and it's going to hurt him, professionally.

I'm surprised that Mike gave Harvey the tapes after it was his girlfriend that got Colton (or whatever Harvey's scummy client's name is) to stop investigating him. I'm sure that Colton is going to try and break up Mike and Rachel. His comments to Rachel about him having 'changed' are more to find a way to get Rachel back, now that he's shown up. We don't know that he is still married. I'm guessing he isn't. I also think Mike is correct that the dude has never had anyone say no to him, and that it's a challenge because of it.
Agatha Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 01:30 PM   #3
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
I think I'm getting to the point where I'll just ffwd through Louis' scenes. They're beyond silly and his "I eat c*cks for breakfast, lunch and dinner" statement to Malone was just an stupid excuse for this show to push the language barrier even further than it normally does.
I think Louis is one of the best parts of the show. I like it when "the jerk" character in a series has some depth and they show the reasons why he's a jerk.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:18 PM   #4
Agatha Mystery

I like the relationship that is building between Louis and Donna. She's humanized him.
Agatha Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 06:44 PM   #5
Beryl

I enjoy all Louis scenes. My recent favs are

- practicing his speech to eyes and lips on a chair
- face off with Jeff

I knew that line about rooster consumption would come back on him.
Beryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 06:53 PM   #6
Wheens

Didn't Jessica break the "Harvard Law graduates only" hiring criteria when she hired Jeff Malone?
Wheens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 08:20 PM   #7
vertigo235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheens View Post
Didn't Jessica break the "Harvard Law graduates only" hiring criteria when she hired Jeff Malone?

She already broke that with Rachael. Or will break it when she graduates.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
vertigo235 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:42 PM   #8
smbaker

Show is becoming a little too much 'soap opera' to me with the rachelsleptwithguywhomikecompetingwith and jessicahiresguysheissleepimgwith season plots. The conflicts of interest among the characters is just too dumb for an otherwise smart show.

Feels like Louis has been completely marginalized.

This will turn out to be the worst season of the series.
smbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 01:44 AM   #9
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheens View Post
I think that's only first-years.
Old 06-29-2014, 01:47 PM   #10
efilippi

I'm with smbaker on this season. Something just isn't right and I find I have no interest in what's going on at all. Case-wise, I mean. If Donna wasn't on the show, I think I'd bail.
efilippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 04:51 PM   #11
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by efilippi View Post
Something just isn't right
Harvey and Mike going up against each other doesn't work. IMO.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 05:24 PM   #12
pendragn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
Harvey and Mike going up against each other doesn't work. IMO.
I'm in the opposite camp. I think seeing Harvey and Mike square off is fun. I don't want it to last forever, because I think they work best together. But I am enjoying them on opposite sides of the table.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pendragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 05:40 PM   #13
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

I don't see a scenario I can live with where Mike comes back to the firm.
When Harvey and Donna were the only ones who were in on the secret I was ok with it. When Jessica was brought in and was OK with it I really had to suspend my disbelief.
I can't accept Jessica letting Mike come back. Unless the finale of the series is her and Harvey getting Disbarred/put on trial.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:21 PM   #14
pendragn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman View Post
I don't see a scenario I can live with where Mike comes back to the firm.
When Harvey and Donna were the only ones who were in on the secret I was ok with it. When Jessica was brought in and was OK with it I really had to suspend my disbelief.
I can't accept Jessica letting Mike come back. Unless the finale of the series is her and Harvey getting Disbarred/put on trial.
I hadn't thought about that. That is a tough pickle the writers have gotten themselves into. They've done a good job in the past, I have faith in them.

pendragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:47 AM   #15
cheesesteak
Meh.

I thought "Not again!" when surfer boy takeover guy threatened to expose dirt on Mike. I do NOT want this to be another "Protect Mike's secret" season. Then Harvey threw the curveball of telling that Mike is a former drug dealer. That leaves Mike's Harvard lie still in play and I'm pretty sure that we'll be bludgeoned with it some time this season.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:00 AM   #16
Dawghows

Quote:
I've come to the realization that every male character on this show is a jerk. Then they up the ante by casting a new male character (Jeff Malone) who sexually harasses Jessica every fifteen minutes.
This is one of those TV tropes that drives me insane. If we're supposed to believe that Jessica is attracted to this guy, we as viewers need to see SOMEthing attractive about him at SOME point. It's fine if they want to make him a jerk to the other employees, or towards his adversaries, or even toward his clients. But if he's always in jerkitude mode with Jessica, too, then as viewers we have no way to buy into the relationship. This happens in far too many shows, but when it happens on a show that is generally witty and often smart, it becomes glaringly out of sync with the rest of the show.

Quote:
I do NOT want this to be another "Protect Mike's secret" season.
No kidding. They've put the Harvard secret to rest four or five times now. I'm not a lawyer, and I'm sure there is more scrutiny in high-octane professional circles than there is in my lowly middle-management position in textiles. But there has never been a single instance in my 27-year career when anyone investigated my college credentials beyond the point of simply reading them on my resume. Making it a constantly recurring issue on the show is tiresome. I want them to stop focusing on the Harvard secret, and to focus more on Mike's photographic memory for written materials. There have gotta be a lot more creative angles to explore with that.
Dawghows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:15 AM   #17
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragn View Post
I'm in the opposite camp. I think seeing Harvey and Mike square off is fun. I don't want it to last forever, because I think they work best together. But I am enjoying them on opposite sides of the table.
I'm liking this too. It has (and I'm surprised they didn't bring this up in the show yet) a Luke vs. Darth Vader kind of feel to it, where the student tried to become the teacher. And I like the dynamic of them trying to beat each other without revealing the "big lie" the series is about, because they know it ruins both of them.

But...I do agree some of it is cringe worthy. I like Louis when he's adversarial but still on the side of the firm, but this last episode was pretty pathetic what they've done to him. I also don't get the need for Jessica to bring in the other lawyer, and dance around the love interest. It really isn't working. This was a needless plot line and a case they could have given to Louis, as they've kind of hinted at the whole time. And lastly, does anyone feel like for some reason, someone at USA Network told the writers, "Hey, it's ok to use the Sh*t word" so now they have to put it in every other sentence. There was one scene toward the end of last season, that I think was between Mike and Donna where they must have used it about 10 times in one paragraph. SO now I think they just use the word because "they can". I don't mind it in context, but it feels so forced.

Lastly, I think this might finally be the season where Donna and Harvey hook up. They've been dancing around that one for years, but they've never actually gotten them close enough for it to get romantic. Donna's comment "I'm a Harvey fan" kind of thinks there's a lot of pent up emotion toward Harvey for her.

Overall, this could be a great season or REALLY bad. We'll see.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:08 AM   #18
cheesesteak
Meh.

How long has Mike been an investment banker? It can't be more than a couple of months but they're letting him handle his own business deals without close supervision? Maybe that's how they do it in the real world. I certainly don't know but it seems odd.

Also, do lawyers at Harvey's level specialize? He seems to work on every type of case under the sun.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:10 AM   #19
vertigo235

Only a few months, but the dude that hired him pitched it as more of a "partnership" so maybe he has had more freedom from the start.

The company was a startup.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:17 AM   #20
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
I think the show has lost its mojo and has been meandering around for at least the last season. What made it interesting was the relationship between Mike and Harvey. Now it's just a sad rivalry of some sort. Louis is still an idiot. And now they're bringing in more idiots to the firm. All the craziness seems to have just been to put Harvey in a position where they try to make us think he'd reveal Mike's falsified legal history, and they didn't really care what they had to do to get to that point. Now they all just need to whip out their penises and compare then kill off the show and be done with it.

dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:20 AM   #21
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo235 View Post
Only a few months, but the dude that hired him pitched it as more of a "partnership" so maybe he has had more freedom from the start.

He also changed his demeanor quite a bit. He really liked Mike at the end of last season and this season he;s a major A-hole.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:22 AM   #22
vertigo235

That's because his new boss is a Major A-Hole.

While Harvey could come across as an A-hole, he is actually a good guy who cares about Mike and his Clients.

Edit: Oh never mind, I mis-read your post. I think that guy was always a major A-hole, he just underestimated Mike's non A-Holeness

Old 06-30-2014, 11:27 AM   #23
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

They ramped up the A-hole factor between seasons.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:31 AM   #24
vertigo235

True that guy was a "victim" last season, he was stuck working for the other A-Hole.

Mike shouldn't have helped him out of that.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:47 PM   #25
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo235 View Post

I remember that, and yet, it appears that Mike is much less than a partner in the way he's being treated.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:14 PM   #26
vertigo235

Clearly it is not a 50% partnership

Old 06-30-2014, 01:45 PM   #27
cheesesteak
Meh.

Even Mike was an a-hole the couple of times he was Spanish Inquisitioning Rachel about her relationship with takeover a-hole dude. She didn't tell him all the details because he didn't need to know.

Old 07-19-2014, 05:49 PM   #28
cheesesteak
Meh.

I really don't know what's going on as far as the investment banking angle. Mike seems to be doing the same thing he's always been doing.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:29 AM   #29
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
I really don't know what's going on as far as the investment banking angle. Mike seems to be doing the same thing he's always been doing.
This plot seems to be going round and round with no end in sight, and it's frankly getting boring. It also feels like they have completely run out of things for Louis. This whole stage fright things was just stupid. And they finally seem to be moving toward Harvey and Donna getting together.

I don't know if I'm just tired of the show or if its off the rails, but this used to be a must watch for me, and now it is just a watch when I can show.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:44 AM   #30
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
And they finally seem to be moving toward Harvey and Donna getting together.
Huh? Harvey has several times before taken Donna out in the limo to show his appreciation and friendship. It does not mean they are "getting together".
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote