TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-18-2014, 08:51 PM   #1
barb1948

Grandmother has Fios Triple Play and want to install Tivo Roamio

I need help, and am - technically savvy Grandmother in CT.

I have a Tivo Roamio pro/plus, and Fios Triple Play. I need help understanding what i need to do with the Fios. get a cable Card..?cancel the cable service? What about the internet and landline? Will i end up paying less for this whole set-up? I had Tivo for years and miss it terribly. Fios remote is awful.

Can any one help me..kind of step by step?

Thank you,

Barbara
barb1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 10:18 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Isn't Triple Play just TV, Internet and phone? You just need a cable card and a Tuning Adapter if there are Switched digital video.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 10:27 PM   #3
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Isn't Triple Play just TV, Internet and phone? You just need a cable card and a Tuning Adapter if there are Switched digital video.
No SDV on FiOS, so a Tuning Adapter is not needed. Just get a CableCard from FiOS and pop it in the back of the Roamio.
tarheelblue32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:06 PM   #4
barb1948

Ok. A cable card... And then you dont need to pay for the Fios cable ? Just tivo monthly and [The cable card monthly? But i would keep fios internet and land line? although i know there are independent land line companies..like Vonage or something like that. Is this what you did may i ask. Thank you?
Old 07-18-2014, 11:21 PM   #5
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Yes, you need to pay for the cable as well as the Tivo Service.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:37 PM   #6
caughey

Hi Granny!

Get TiVo Roamio* with lifetime service**. Get the cable card*** from FiOS. Don't cancel the FiOS TV "cable service."****

*Which Roamio is open to discussion. The Plus is probably the best bang for the buck, unless you don't watch any cable channels and only watch your local channels.

**Lifetime service is a bit of sticker shock up front, but will pay for itself over time, and is one less bill to pay.

***Getting the cable card set up can be a bit of a hassle, but FiOS is usually less painful than others, and we will help you through it. If you decide you only want to watch your local "over the air" broadcast channels, and not watch any cable channels, and you can get a good signal over antenna, you don't need the cable card and can cancel FiOS TV and use a basic Roamio. If you want to watch cable channels or have bad antenna reception, you need the cable card and FiOS TV. They go together.

****If you only watch your local "over the air" broadcast channels, then you can cancel the FiOS TV service, get a basic Roamio, and set up an antenna. If you do watch cable channels, keep the FiOS TV service, and pickup a Roamio and cable card.

The basic Roamio can receive over the air broadcast channels OR cable channels with a cable card. The Roamio Plus and Pro can only receive cable channels and require a cable card.
caughey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:38 PM   #7
barb1948

You mean you have to pay for the cable card...!
If i have to pay the Cable bill i get now, and add on tivo monthly service (or lifetime), where are any savings?
I thought you can cancel the cable at $45 per month,and return all the boxes, and pay for a cable card at $5 month.and then pay them for the internet, and phone if you choose..
Old 07-18-2014, 11:44 PM   #8
barb1948

Thanks!
So are you saying i don't cancel Fios Cable TV for which i pay $45 or so,
Get a cable card and pay additional $6 per month,
get tivo monthly or lifetime...lets say $15 per month
Keep Fios for Internet. $49
Keep fios landline or fiind independant phone service..
??? if i add all that up, including the loss of the triple play discount, its a lot more!

More help, but you are great! Dont call me Granny! barbara will do.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:45 PM   #9
trip1eX

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb1948 View Post
You mean you have to pay for the cable card...!
If i have to pay the Cable bill i get now, and add on tivo monthly service (or lifetime), where are any savings?
I thought you can cancel the cable at $45 per month,and return all the boxes, and pay for a cable card at $5 month.and then pay them for the internet, and phone if you choose..
You save the dvr rental fee minus what you have to pay for the cablecard every month. I think (for FIOS) you'd save $16/month. $192/yr. Depending on what you paid for your DVR with lifetime you'd make break even in 3 maybe 4 years and still have a DVR worth a few hundred at least.
trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:58 PM   #10
caughey

Okay Barbara

Yeah, if you want to watch cable channels, you have to pay for cable service. Like you said, paying for each service without the triple play discount is probably more expensive and certainly more hassle. You can keep the triple play with TiVo.

As trip1eX says, TiVo will eventually pay for itself, but you don't really buy a TiVo to save money. You buy it because it's better.
caughey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:03 AM   #11
tarheelblue32

With TiVo, you are just buying your own DVR rather than renting one from Verizon. You save money by not having to rent the FiOS DVR from Verizon. Everything else about your FiOS service and bill would stay the same, except for the CableCard rental fee, which I think Verizon charges $5 for.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:09 AM   #12
barb1948

Smile Thank you!

I think i understand now. Thank you all.

Just let me say, that i loved my Tivo years ago (and got a nice price for selling it on ebay..with Lifetime).

We had a wonderful relationship. he did what I asked..always perfectly and on time. he told me if there was a problem. He opened a whole new world with suggestions and options. While i would sleep, he would take care of everything, and reliable, dependable and never asked for anything in return. Of course i would shine him and make sure he was not dusty.

Fios DVR will be an ex-husband who was a disappointment. He had his agenda, Which never matched mine. He was totally self absorbed, and indifferent to my needs. And his equipment package was lacking in so many ways.

Yes, i am thrilled to have met Romeo (I mean Roamio). He will be wonderful i'm sure.

Barbara

Last edited by barb1948 : 07-19-2014 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-19-2014, 04:10 PM   #13
barb1948

Caughey my friend,
I am ready to open the box.. I have no cable card yet, but someone said you can get it up and running while you are waiting.. Maybe its true since i have not disconnected FIOS yet.

What say you,

barbara
Old 07-19-2014, 04:15 PM   #14
jay_man2
jay_man-also

Quote:
Caughey my friend,
I am ready to open the box.. I have no cable card yet, but someone said you can get it up and running while you are waiting.. Maybe its true since i have not disconnected FIOS yet.

What say you,

barbara
What do you mean by "not disconnected FIOS yet." As others have said, you need to keep the FiOS service. You can get the Roamio from wherever and a cable card from Verizon and you can disconnect and return the Verizon DVR or set top box.

While you're waiting for the cable card you can set up the Roamio and run Guided Setup.
Old 07-19-2014, 04:20 PM   #15
barb1948

Yes yes... Forgot about in 18 hours. Ugh

Anyway new topic .
I am reading about the Ebay Lifetime cable code coupons. I do want Lifetime and wonder what's up with them? People pay uber less.. But?
Old 07-19-2014, 06:11 PM   #16
sakaike

The eBay discount codes are for the Roamio box plus Lifetime. If you want to go that route, you will need to box up the Roamio you currently have and return it for a refund. Then buy the code, use it on the TiVo website to order a new Roamio with lifetime and receive that new box in a few days.

This might actually work out well for you, since you are still waiting to receive your Fios cablecard anyway.
sakaike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:08 PM   #17
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakaike View Post
The eBay discount codes are for the Roamio box plus Lifetime. If you want to go that route, you will need to box up the Roamio you currently have and return it for a refund. Then buy the code, use it on the TiVo website to order a new Roamio with lifetime and receive that new box in a few days.
TiVo is also running a special summer sale that has significantly reduced prices for lifetime service. If you are still in the return window, you may want to return the one you have and buy one through the sale.

https://www.tivo.com/shop/promo/summ...2&SSAID=101512
Old 07-19-2014, 09:46 PM   #18
HarperVision

Quote:
......We had a wonderful relationship. he did what I asked..always perfectly and on time. he told me if there was a problem. He opened a whole new world with suggestions and options. While i would sleep, he would take care of everything, and reliable, dependable and never asked for anything in return. Of course i would shine him and make sure he was not dusty. .......Barbara
OMG Barbara, are you married? I LOVE YOU!!!
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 05:25 PM   #19
rellog321

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
TiVo is also running a special summer sale that has significantly reduced prices for lifetime service. If you are still in the return window, you may want to return the one you have and buy one through the sale.

https://www.tivo.com/shop/promo/summ...2&SSAID=101512
Where's the love for the OTA Roamio?
rellog321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 05:39 PM   #20
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rellog321 View Post
Where's the love for the OTA Roamio?
There are ebay codes for that.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:21 PM   #21
rellog321

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
There are ebay codes for that.
Yes, but you're paying an extra $100 over what the Plus and Pro are paying for the Lifetime...
rellog321 is offline   Reply With Quote