TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-18-2014, 06:02 AM   #661
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by [NG]Owner View Post
So I am here pitching for an image. TCD746xxx updated to at least 20.3.8. Anyone help a fellow Tivo enthusiast out?

[NG]Owner
PM sent.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 11:37 PM   #662
Jeremy999

After complaining and escalating at Tivo, they agreed to submit a ticket to some other technical support group at Tivo and then I got an email saying that my box was ready to be updated. Indeed, I was able to connect and download the latest version.

I'm still experiencing freezing and rebooting though. And today I have a new problem: recordings that are mismatched and under the wrong folders. When I try to delete them, they wont delete (and sometimes trying that makes my box reboot). WD Diagnostics says my drive is fine, but maybe I will try a new drive.

You know, I think the problems on my Premiere started around the same time that I added a Roamio to my account. Think that could be related?
Jeremy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:22 AM   #663
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy999 View Post
After complaining and escalating at Tivo, they agreed to submit a ticket to some other technical support group at Tivo and then I got an email saying that my box was ready to be updated. Indeed, I was able to connect and download the latest version.

I'm still experiencing freezing and rebooting though. And today I have a new problem: recordings that are mismatched and under the wrong folders. When I try to delete them, they wont delete (and sometimes trying that makes my box reboot). WD Diagnostics says my drive is fine, but maybe I will try a new drive.

You know, I think the problems on my Premiere started around the same time that I added a Roamio to my account. Think that could be related?
Well, I've seen plenty of evidence of hardware jealousy where you no sooner get a new piece of gear in the door than something else starts pitching fits and demanding special attention.
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 02:49 PM   #664
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Well, I've seen plenty of evidence of hardware jealousy where you no sooner get a new piece of gear in the door than something else starts pitching fits and demanding special attention.
Great statement, hardware jealousy, never though of that problem that way.

Old 06-19-2014, 05:31 PM   #665
telemark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy999 View Post
... rebooting ...
Rebooting can often leave an error message in the logs, so I would look there.

I think this box deserves it's own thread, getting hard to put all the relevant history info together.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:56 PM   #666
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
That works the other way too. You should have seen the look on my fully-loaded Arctic White C5 Corvette's face when I got sick of Chevy's BS and replaced it with a used Toyota from a salvage yard.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:46 AM   #667
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
It's kinda like gremlins, but situation specific.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:20 PM   #668
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Updating images to newer software, while keeping the image small, a how-to guide:

Helpful tips & explanations for all:

Use my trick of using 00000 zip code, Tiny TiVo as provider, run a C&DE on the updated image, pull the plug on the reboot once the C&DE operation has completed, which self-triggers a reboot (preferably before the KS [kickstart] window of opportunity, or before the "almost there" screen at the latest), make a backup of that, and upload it for distribution, or just use for yourself, if that's how you roll.

The 00000 zip code & Tiny TiVo provider trick only downloads one channel worth of empty guide data, keeping the new backup image small as can be, and saves time. A cablecard can be paired in this setup, but the channels can only be tested using "test channels using M-card" via DVR Diagnostics screens. This is just a FYI, for those who may use this trick for the many other uses I've found for it, like purging out corrupted data related to an existing zip and provider's guide data.

The reason for the C&DE with timed power-pull is to stop the drive from becoming married to the TSN of the board it is updated on, eliminating image recipients from having to repeat guided setup twice, with a C&DE between the two, to remove any existing host board TSN-to-drive marriage.

Once the software has reached a certain version number, the second screen of GS, where you select demo/home setup, has a "press enter for advanced options" option, which adds Installer Express mode to the choices, saving a big chunk of time, by only doing the absolute minimum GS needs to, leaving all the little personalized preferences to be set later through the menus.

If you want to see what software version is on a drive that boots into GS, without running it, press Info button on the very first GS screen (Select Country). It's at the bottom of the screen, when displayed.

EDIT/ADD: I had left out it is best that the only things connected, until done, are:

1. Power cord/supply.
2. Ethernet cable (or wireless, if you absolutely can't do RJ45 ethernet).

What absolutely should NOT be connected:
1. Coaxial cable for cable or antenna.

Why: If a video source is available, the TiVo will continuously process and buffer all tuners, making the resulting image larger for every zeroed-sector that is changed to in the process. A C&DE does not re-zero the sectors that get changed. Even though the buffer, per tuner, is 30 minutes, it still moves forward though more sectors for as long as the TiVo is on, and has a coax connection providing cable or antenna connectivity. For the cleanest and smallest backup image, this is a big deal.

I suppose (theoretically) somebody who insists on using MoCA, could just remove the cable/antenna input coax to the MoCA, and just use the coax for networking only.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 06-22-2014 at 04:48 AM.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 01:35 PM   #669
xdroccax

I've been trying to create a 746/748 image that can be used with dvrBARS to restore on either a 3Tb or 4Tb drive. Check out this post #64 over at the DIY 4TB thread. Managed to get a 2Tb drive (WD Red) to the state where the final VHD is to be made. Tried using dvrBARS to backup the 2Tb drive (all three methods of backup), but it is hanging on scanning partition 9. Actually, the dvrBARS process is running the cpu around 50% constant, but the hard drive access stops after a few seconds. Waited about an hour on the Truncated method and still the same results. It would basically start the backup process like normal, but once it hits partition 9 it would read for a few seconds, than 'hang'. Any ideas what's the issue?

Btw, the 2Tb can copy via JMFS v1.05 to a 4Tb (than expand) just fine. It works great actually! Just need to figure out how to capture the VHD of the 2Tb.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dvrbars_error.jpg (43.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg dvrbars_error1.jpg (88.4 KB, 9 views)
xdroccax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:08 PM   #670
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

This partition may be one of those that are huge, and would take a long while to complete.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:03 PM   #671
xdroccax

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
This partition may be one of those that are huge, and would take a long while to complete.
I thought that too, but when I used it in an USB adapter the LED did not show any disk activity (read, or write). When i let it see for about 20 minutes, the drive had actually spun down (stopped).
xdroccax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:39 PM   #672
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdroccax View Post
I thought that too, but when I used it in an USB adapter the LED did not show any disk activity (read, or write). When i let it see for about 20 minutes, the drive had actually spun down (stopped).
I've had this happen too. I have a version of DVRBARS that skips the check for the drive being a TiVo drive, and it starts off promising, then the activity lights go out on my USB 3.0 docks. But, the program will complete, after hours of no LED activity, create a file around the size (I would guess) it should be, but the actual data inside the VHD only goes as far as the time the LEDs were showing activity...

I wrote it off as "it was worth a shot". What I was trying to do was create a VHD backup of some laptop drives, with the VHD files going to another drive. None of them completed properly.

The same docks have been used with the regular DVRBARS to backup and restore a great many TiVo drives. It's not a large-drive issue, since the laptop drives are only 500GB, 750GB, & 1TB, while the drive I formatted to NTFS to write the VHD files to was 2TB.

Could be some other problem. I just thought now was a good time to bring it up.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:08 AM   #673
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdroccax View Post
I've been trying to create a 746/748 image that can be used with dvrBARS to restore on either a 3Tb or 4Tb drive. Check out this post #64 over at the DIY 4TB thread. Managed to get a 2Tb drive (WD Red) to the state where the final VHD is to be made. Tried using dvrBARS to backup the 2Tb drive (all three methods of backup), but it is hanging on scanning partition 9. Actually, the dvrBARS process is running the cpu around 50% constant, but the hard drive access stops after a few seconds. Waited about an hour on the Truncated method and still the same results. It would basically start the backup process like normal, but once it hits partition 9 it would read for a few seconds, than 'hang'. Any ideas what's the issue?

Btw, the 2Tb can copy via JMFS v1.05 to a 4Tb (than expand) just fine. It works great actually! Just need to figure out how to capture the VHD of the 2Tb.
A Full backup should have worked unless there's something wrong with the drive or the connection to the computer. It doesn't go through the "scanning" process the read the ext2 and MFS file systems, it just reads bytes in a row. I have even used it to virtualize Windows drives.

Your first pic shows it scanning the /var partition. I only copy it to be nice to the hackers that have modified it on older models. If something is corrupted in the ext2 file system on that partition you can just zero those sectors with a hex editor.

Not sure what else to say. The code will always pop up an error message if any of the Windows API calls fail and it's littered with sanity checks, but something unexpected must have thrown it into a Hotel California loop.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:27 PM   #674
romannyc

My Premier just crashed. :-( Does anyone have an Image for a: Premiere xl4 (tcd758250) ? I will be restoring it to a 3tb drive. From what I have read in the thread I need to use hdparam.... Can someone send me the commands for that as well?

I would greatly appreciate it ..

Thanks..

Last edited by romannyc : 07-18-2014 at 10:45 PM.
romannyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:43 PM   #675
jmbach

If you use the 2TB XL4 image you can use the patched version of JMFS and go right to 4TB. No hdparm. The only caveat is that the image needs one of the later OS revisions for the OS to not bootloop on a drive greater than 2TB.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:59 PM   #676
romannyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
If you use the 2TB XL4 image you can use the patched version of JMFS and go right to 4TB. No hdparm. The only caveat is that the image needs one of the later OS revisions for the OS to not bootloop on a drive greater than 2TB.
Sounds perfect. Where do I get the patched version of JMFS from as well as the newer image?
Old 07-19-2014, 12:05 AM   #677
jmbach

The patched version of JMFS is here.

Might see if ggieseke has an image that will not bootloop on large drives.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:19 AM   #678
romannyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
The
Might see if ggieseke has an image that will not bootloop on large drives.

Hopefully he will see my posts, I can't PM do to my lack of posts even though I've been a member for 10 years.. :-)
Old 07-19-2014, 01:01 AM   #679
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by romannyc View Post
Hopefully he will see my posts, I can't PM do to my lack of posts even though I've been a member for 10 years.. :-)
The ultimate silent type.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

Old 07-19-2014, 02:05 AM   #680
unitron

Quote:
And if you'd only posted once in each of those years, even just to let us know how you're doing, you'd be able to PM now.

After you answer this post, you'll only have 6 more to go.

Old 07-19-2014, 02:07 AM   #681
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
After you answer this post, you'll only have 6 more to go.

Quit putting words, er, uh posts, into his mouth!
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

Old 07-19-2014, 07:34 AM   #682
ggieseke

Quote:
PM sent. Thank awilson8 for the 758 20.4.1 image.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:37 AM   #683
jmbach

Has anybody tried DvrBARS on a 20.4.2 image yet to see the resultant truncated backup file size.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:11 PM   #684
romannyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
PM sent. Thank awilson8 for the 758 20.4.1 image.
Thank YOU!!!

Right now I am restoring it to a 3tb drive. From my understanding with this version and with the modified version of jmfs (jmfs-rev105-krbaker-tivotools)... I can simply just expand it?
Old 07-19-2014, 12:40 PM   #685
jmbach

Yes
Old 07-19-2014, 06:57 PM   #686
chuckcheeze

ggieseke
if i am reading your post correctly, this may save me. i can restore from an image onto any drive and it will bring the tivo and hard drive into factory setting with no recordings...right?

my hard drive is failing (random flickers) and i cannot find my original 320GB OEM drive. i am so stressed.

i have most of my recording on a nas, so i can pytivo back onto the tivo.
chuckcheeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:29 PM   #687
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckcheeze View Post
ggieseke
if i am reading your post correctly, this may save me. i can restore from an image onto any drive and it will bring the tivo and hard drive into factory setting with no recordings...right?
Yes, pretty close to factory, but you would have to run Clear & Delete Everything after the image installed. Otherwise, it will not record, the TSN will be all ZEROs, drive not married to the MB/Tivo, etc.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

Old 07-19-2014, 09:09 PM   #688
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Yes, pretty close to factory, but you would have to run Clear & Delete Everything after the image installed. Otherwise, it will not record, the TSN will be all ZEROs, drive not married to the MB/Tivo, etc.
There are exceptions to this.

If the person who made the image never booted the TiVo (creating a "virgin" image), I believe the drive has not yet been married to the board's TSN. I wish I was 100% sure on this always being true (hazy memory). EDIT/ADD: It has been verified by others that a "virgin" image, made from a never-booted factory-imaged drive, does not require a C&DE to work on another TiVo.

If the person who made the image did a C&DE before making the image, and had pulled power at the reboot after the C&DE completed, not allowing the TiVo to get past the kickstart window of opportunity or to the second booting screen with "almost there...", it will definitely not require the image recipients to do a C&DE.

While I'm all for "better safe than sorry", I feel your post is a bit extreme in how it states what will happen, what will be, and what must be done, as an absolute statement.

A better way to say it, is "If your TSN does not show correctly in System Information, you will need to do a C&DE". That's an absolute statement, which is always the case (unless there is some other issue causing it, which a C&DE might have no effect on anyway).

Last edited by nooneuknow : 07-20-2014 at 01:51 AM. Reason: ETA
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:57 PM   #689
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
There are exceptions to this.

If the person who made the image never booted the TiVo (creating a "virgin" image), I believe the drive has not yet been married to the board's TSN. I wish I was 100% sure on this always being true (hazy memory).

If the person who made the image did a C&DE before making the image, and had pulled power at the reboot after the C&DE completed, not allowing the TiVo to get past the kickstart window of opportunity or to the second booting screen with "almost there...", it will definitely not require the image recipients to do a C&DE.

While I'm all for "better safe than sorry", I feel your post is a bit extreme in how it states what will happen, what will be, and what must be done, as an absolute statement.

A better way to say it, is "If your TSN does not show correctly in System Information, you will need to do a C&DE". That's an absolute statement, which is always the case (unless there is some other issue causing it, which a C&DE might have no effect on anyway).
All my TiVo images are made by starting C&D all than after the welcome screen I pull the plug and make a copy of the drive, except for the Roamio product.

Old 07-19-2014, 11:45 PM   #690
jmbach

The true virgin factory image does not need a c&de and gets married to the TiVo at first run. Problem is that it run an older OS and does not support drives over 2TB.