TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-14-2014, 12:00 AM   #1
decaffeinated

New Roamio Plus, 2 random reboots already

The new Roamio Plus is my 5th Tivo unit and it's my first to randomly reboot. Reboot #1 occurred while I was copying season pass info from an HD to the Roamio. Reboot #2 occurred when my wife randomly pressed the Guide button on the remote.

Given these random reboots and the inability to cleanly[*] copy Season Pass data from an activated, online HD to the new Roamio (via tivo.com), I'm not particularly happy.

I've read quite a few forums regarding the Roamio reboots and a lot of folks had issues with cable cards. The cable card I'm using is 5 years old, so I guess I'll drive down to a Comcast store and swap my Motorola M-Card for something that's hopefully newer. I called Comcast and the tech support rep told me that she could not push a firmware upgrade to my M-Card and would not guarantee that anything I picked up @ the Comcast store would be any better/newer.

Sigh.

[*] Corrupt - Delete Me <== that's some bitching QA, right there

Last edited by decaffeinated : 07-14-2014 at 12:02 AM. Reason: It's a Roamio Plus, not a Pro
decaffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 02:01 AM   #2
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

<shrug> maybe you got a dud, maybe its just struggling to process all the updates/copied data, etc. Give it a couple days to settle and and then you'll know...

I used Kttmg to copy season passes between three different boxes just recently when cascading boxes between users. Took like <5 minutes and went perfectly. I assume you were using the weak-sauce website to copy the passes?

The first couple versions of the software was shaky. What version is the box running? Its pretty solid for most users at this point...

Firmware updates for Motorolla cards has not been a concern that I have been aware of.
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 02:23 AM   #3
decaffeinated

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgnad View Post
I used Kttmg to copy season passes between three different boxes just recently when cascading boxes between users. Took like <5 minutes and went perfectly. I assume you were using the weak-sauce website to copy the passes?
Yep...used tivo.com's Season Pass Manager. I tried Kttmg...it could not "see" the HD on my local network from which I wanted to copy the season pass info. I eventually found a workaround that won't be fully effected until all of the "corrupt" season passes can be manually reseeded when out-of-production television series return in the fall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgnad View Post
The first couple versions of the software was shaky. What version is the box running? Its pretty solid for most users at this point...

Firmware updates for Motorolla cards has not been a concern that I have been aware of.
Tivo version: 20.4.1-USA-6-848
Old 07-17-2014, 06:29 PM   #4
decaffeinated

Quote:
Originally Posted by decaffeinated View Post
I called Comcast and the tech support rep told me that she could not push a firmware upgrade to my M-Card and would not guarantee that anything I picked up @ the Comcast store would be any better/newer.
Following up on my situation. Before I headed off to a Comcast store and swapped cable cards, I thought I would ask around and nail down the latest and greatest Motorola firmware version number. That info at least gives me a goal (i.e., find a cable card with version x.y).

Nope. Not gonna' happen.

I called Comcast on 5 separate occasions asking for this info and was stonewalled 4 times (no cooperation whatsoever) and disconnected in the middle of the 5th call. Fun fact, if you call back after a disconnect, Comcast refuses to reconnect with the tech with whom you were previously speaking.

I opened a ticket with Tivo Support asking for the L&G Moto firmware version number. They said, "We don't have that information."

Checkmate.

Tivo Support did requst data from my connection and determined that my SNR is too high and that I need to add some attenuators. I replied, "How many attenuators and where is a URL so that I can look at them and maybe buy them online?" Tivo would not send me an attenuator URL. That's awesome.

Anybody got an attenuator URL? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:32 PM   #5
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by decaffeinated View Post
Tivo Support did requst data from my connection and determined that my SNR is too high and that I need to add some attenuators. I replied, "How many attenuators and where is a URL so that I can look at them and maybe buy them online?" Tivo would not send me an attenuator URL. That's awesome.

Anybody got an attenuator URL? Thanks in advance.
While attenuators (of the sort that are mostly just a resistor inside) are cheap, simple, and sometimes work without issue, there's a better way to attenuate a digital signal: Add splitters (daisy-chain) and/or change the splitter to one with more out ports, and put terminators on any resulting unused ports (the terminators are a must, for unused ports and wall-plates, in the digital age). Also, if the splitter changes are made upstream, the length of the cable downstream adds attenuation, due to resistance.

The simple attenuators are not even allowed in my cable market. The techs are not allowed to install them, and are directed to remove them, when they find them. If I had any in-use, and a tech came out, they'd remove them and use splitters and terminators. If I refused to not-use terminators, they'd blame all the problems on them being there.

I have attenuators of different values, which I use to find the level of attenuation I need, then use that value to choose the splitters instead.

In the real-world, where "SNR" is SNR as defined by a standard, there is no such thing as an excessive SNR level (the higher, the better, period). TiVo uses a bastardized measurement, which results in SNR going higher with a stronger signal. Then, making things hell for customers, they say your SNR is too high, instead of saying the signal is too strong. This leads to you sounding like an idiot when you tell a cable tech/rep that you need a lower SNR, or that your SNR is too high.

Focus on trying to get the signal strength/power to not be pegged at 100 all the time (no matter how overly-strong a signal is, a TiVo just reads 100), and your SNR will drop, since TiVo uses signal strength for part of their improper SNR value.

Good luck.