TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-11-2014, 03:10 AM   #1
schmegs

Charter tuning adapter channels in Burbank?

This is kind of a random question: Does anyone have a list of what channels require the tuning adapter still on Charter in Burbank, CA?

I noticed that most of the channels don't anymore since the digital rebuild, but I was just curious if anyone has checked which channels still do. If I have the time, I might do it myself sometime if someone hasn't tackled it already...
schmegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:00 AM   #2
rainwater

I don't know of anyone who has a list especially since Charter has gone all-digital. I don't live in CA but in my area about the only channels on SDV now are the non-HD sports tier and a few other non-HD channels. I have yet to find a HD channel on SDV but I haven't checked every single channel. I still leave mine connected though as they can always change at any moment. I really hoped they would drop SDV with the all-digital conversion. Maybe they will switch to mpeg-4 one day and drop SDV.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:54 AM   #3
JosephB

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
I don't know of anyone who has a list especially since Charter has gone all-digital. I don't live in CA but in my area about the only channels on SDV now are the non-HD sports tier and a few other non-HD channels. I have yet to find a HD channel on SDV but I haven't checked every single channel. I still leave mine connected though as they can always change at any moment. I really hoped they would drop SDV with the all-digital conversion. Maybe they will switch to mpeg-4 one day and drop SDV.
The current CEO of Charter has said in past analyst meetings and presentations that they want to dump SDV, so if they have moved the bulk of everything off SDV, I would not expect much to go back to SDV.

Keep in mind that when they dumped analog, they were already retransmitting everything in 100% digital, so dumping analog is a pure bandwidth reclaim, they didn't have to replace anything with new digital channels.

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
JosephB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 03:00 PM   #4
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephB View Post
Keep in mind that when they dumped analog, they were already retransmitting everything in 100% digital, so dumping analog is a pure bandwidth reclaim, they didn't have to replace anything with new digital channels.
That is true, but the reclaimed bandwidth will not necessarily be used for tv channels. I would love to disconnect my 3 tuning adapters. Luckily for me they haven't had any issues but they are still a eyesore and add complexity to each TiVo setup.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 04:41 AM   #5
schmegs

I think the ones I've noticed so far are the main channels in the premium tiers (HBO/P and SHO/P), but none of the other HBOs and Showtimes except for the primaries. I would love to get rid of the adapters completely; mine "lose" their connection (the 8 blinks) at least twice a year, requiring me to sit in the phone with tech support for half a hour each time...
Old 07-17-2014, 05:27 AM   #6
tenthplanet

Find this section over on AVS forum, someone may have answer for you.

AVS Forum > HDTV > Local HDTV Info and Reception > Los Angeles, CA - Charter
www.avsforum.com
Old 07-17-2014, 05:07 PM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

I disconnected my TA and only like 3 of the HD channels would not tune, and they weren't channels I cared about. I don't watch the SD channels so I didn't test those.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:07 AM   #8
schmegs

Thanks for the AVS forum tip! I'll have to check that out...
Old 07-29-2014, 12:24 PM   #9
UCLABB

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmegs View Post
I think the ones I've noticed so far are the main channels in the premium tiers (HBO/P and SHO/P), but none of the other HBOs and Showtimes except for the primaries. I would love to get rid of the adapters completely; mine "lose" their connection (the 8 blinks) at least twice a year, requiring me to sit in the phone with tech support for half a hour each time...

My Charter (Riverside, CA) TA went on the "blink" a few days ago. No amount of rebooting would revive it. Yes, the only channels I noticed were gone were the Main premiums, however I didn't scroll through the whole lineup. If they would just put some of the oddball premiums on SDV such as the East feeds, we could dump the TA.

Even though the TA fix can be done at the head end, they always want to do a truck roll. No cost for me, but time consuming since the tech always wants to look over the whole house and tighten every connection with a friggin wrench.
UCLABB is offline   Reply With Quote