TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-20-2013, 05:07 PM   #1
GumboChief

Exclamation MoCA Mini Question

Please advise:

Roamio Plus connected via Ethernet for networking & coax for cable input.
Mini plugged into the coax (no Ethernet)

Would this work? Or would I need to buy a $50 MoCA bridge for the Mini?
Old 09-20-2013, 05:28 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

That will work. You need to enable the MoCa bridge feature in the Roamio networking settings.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:37 PM   #3
GumboChief

Thank you Dan, because the person on Tivo tech support told me I would need a MoCA bridge for the Mini. Luckily I could tell she did not have a clue, and came here to double check.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:48 PM   #4
GumboChief

Follow up question. Where else can I buy a MoCA Point of Entry filter?
The POE seems expensive on the Tivo site.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:04 PM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

I bought one on eBay for $4 with free shipping.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:09 PM   #6
GumboChief

Thanks again.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:17 PM   #7
atrunco

I am trying to do the exact same thing but have found limited info on MoCA. What is the POE and do you need one?
Thanks very much.
atrunco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:05 PM   #8
WRX09MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrunco View Post
I am trying to do the exact same thing but have found limited info on MoCA. What is the POE and do you need one?
Thanks very much.
Its a filter that blocks your moca signal from straying outside of your home to other homes. If your using Fios you dont need one.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...52434380,d.dmg
Slide x 2
Slide Pro x 2
Verizon Fios
WRX09MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:11 PM   #9
nealm

Follow up question, I am likely moving from fios to xfinity. Currently, I have a Roamio Plus connected via coax and a mini connected via coax.

My understanding from other posts is that fios routers are moca enabled so that's why things are working now. If I move to xfinity, will I need to buy a moca bridge to install at the router?

Thanks very much.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:21 PM   #10
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealm View Post
If I move to xfinity, will I need to buy a moca bridge to install at the router?
If your Roamio is not sitting next to the router then yes, otherwise no.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:50 PM   #11
poppagene
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealm View Post
Follow up question, I am likely moving from fios to xfinity. Currently, I have a Roamio Plus connected via coax and a mini connected via coax.

My understanding from other posts is that fios routers are moca enabled so that's why things are working now. If I move to xfinity, will I need to buy a moca bridge to install at the router?

Thanks very much.
If you have a verizon actiontec fios router (MI424WR), you can pair that with your xfinity cable modem and get moca through coax that way.
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:54 PM   #12
kherr

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
If your Roamio is not sitting next to the router then yes, otherwise no.
I thought that the Romio just needs an ethernet connection (which would end up connected to the router via a switch), and not necessarily has to be connected directly to the router???
kherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:04 PM   #13
AdamNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kherr View Post
I thought that the Romio just needs an ethernet connection (which would end up connected to the router via a switch), and not necessarily has to be connected directly to the router???
correct, yes an ethernet connection that eventually gets out to the internet

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:07 PM   #14
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by kherr View Post
Yes, any ethernet connection that can reach internet will do. My assumption usually though is that there are very limited ethernet connections if one is looking at MoCA, so most often the only ethernet available is at or near the router.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:19 PM   #15
Tivo II Jack

Roamio Network

Not sure if this belongs here, but it was the closest I could find.

I have been a Tivo user since 1998 and still have all 6 Tivos I bought although only four are now connected. I have always had them networked. On 1/28/14 I set up my Roamio Pro and at the bottom of my Now Playing Lists each Tivo showed the other three units.

I just noticed that the Roamio no longer shows the two HD Series 3 nor the Toshiba Series 2 units. Those three units all show in each other's Now Playing lists, but none show the Roamio.

The Roamio was originally connected via wireless but 2 months (maybe longer) ago, I changed that and the Roamio is now connected via ethernet cable direct to my router.

Since I don't use those networked connections in the Now Playing lists all that much, it could be that the older Tivos and the Roamio lost their network connectivity when I added the ethernet but I am not sure.

How can I re-establish the network between the Roamio and the others?

I need to correct the above. The Roamio DOES list the three older Tivos in the Now Playing List but when I try to open any one of them I see this error message:

Can't Connect to XXXX DVR

The XXX DVR could not be found.

There may be a problem with your home network or the network connection on your Tivo boxes, or the DVR may have been unplugged.(C423)

For more info, visit tivo.com/help/C423

My networks are all functioning fine and the help for C423 was confusing at best.

Last edited by Tivo II Jack : 07-11-2014 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Corrected information
Tivo II Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 02:40 PM   #16
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivo II Jack View Post
Not sure if this belongs here, but it was the closest I could find.

I have been a Tivo user since 1998 and still have all 6 Tivos I bought although only four are now connected. I have always had them networked. On 1/28/14 I set up my Roamio Pro and at the bottom of my Now Playing Lists each Tivo showed the other three units.

I just noticed that the Roamio no longer shows the two HD Series 3 nor the Toshiba Series 2 units. Those three units all show in each other's Now Playing lists, but none show the Roamio.

The Roamio was originally connected via wireless but 2 months (maybe longer) ago, I changed that and the Roamio is now connected via ethernet cable direct to my router.

Since I don't use those networked connections in the Now Playing lists all that much, it could be that the older Tivos and the Roamio lost their network connectivity when I added the ethernet but I am not sure.

How can I re-establish the network between the Roamio and the others?

I need to correct the above. The Roamio DOES list the three older Tivos in the Now Playing List but when I try to open any one of them I see this error message:

Can't Connect to XXXX DVR

The XXX DVR could not be found.

There may be a problem with your home network or the network connection on your Tivo boxes, or the DVR may have been unplugged.(C423)

For more info, visit tivo.com/help/C423

My networks are all functioning fine and the help for C423 was confusing at best.
Explain: although only four are now connected. I have always had them networked what the difference between connected and networked ?

Old 07-12-2014, 04:36 PM   #17
Tivo II Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Explain: although only four are now connected. I have always had them networked what the difference between connected and networked ?
Connected = Plugged in/usable.

Networked = Included in my home network/Listed and accessible at the bottom of each other's Now Playing List.
Old 07-12-2014, 05:20 PM   #18
lessd

Quote:
Connected = Plugged in/usable.

Networked = Included in my home network/Listed and accessible at the bottom of each other's Now Playing List.
So when not plug in the networked has no meaning, and plug in without the network also has little use.
I think I understand, but I am no sure.

Old 07-12-2014, 06:42 PM   #19
Tivo II Jack

Quote:
So when not plug in the networked has no meaning, and plug in without the network also has little use.
I think I understand, but I am no sure.
Now you are confusing me. Let me simplify. I own six Tivo units and two are in a closet somewhere. The other four are available for me to use at all times and on Stand By when not in use. I have had ALL my in use Tivos networked for years. In January when I got the Roamio Pro it was also added to my network and all Tivo units recognized each other even when in Stand By mode.

Some time after January, I changed my Roamio internet connection from wireless adaptor to an ethernet cable connected directly to my router.

Now I see that the 3 older units still see and recognize each other but do not see the Roamio. The Roamio sees the three older units but if I try to access any of them, I get the error message I posted yesterday in note 15: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...8#post10172678

When I changed the Roamio from the wireless adaptor to the ethernet connection it appears the older units could no longer find the Roamio. The Roamio still sees the older units but no longer has any means of connecting to them.

I guess the real question is how do I set my network so Tivos using a wireless connection and the ethernet connected Roamio can see and communicate with each other?
Old 07-13-2014, 12:40 AM   #20
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Make sure that 'video sharing' is checked on all of your boxes under your account on tivo.com

Force connections in to tivo, let them process and then reboot all of the tivos, as well as ALL of your networking equipment... routers, switches, etc.

Try an new ethernet cable on the Roamio.

hmmmm... the other three Tivos are all connecting wirelessly? ok, what is your network topology?
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 01:18 AM   #21
Tivo II Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgnad View Post
Make sure that 'video sharing' is checked on all of your boxes under your account on tivo.com

Force connections in to tivo, let them process and then reboot all of the tivos, as well as ALL of your networking equipment... routers, switches, etc.

Try an new ethernet cable on the Roamio.

hmmmm... the other three Tivos are all connecting wirelessly? ok, what is your network topology?
Video sharing was already checked for all boxes.

No idea what "force connections" means, but all the boxes, routers, modems, etc. have been rebooted multiple times since I noticed this problem.

The ethernet cable is brand new Cat 6 cable. (All are)

I assume you mean topology for the Roamio since the others are all working just fine between themselves.

Coaxial into Roamio, into Tuning Adapter (TA) and into brand new Netgear N600 WiFi Cable Modem Router. The modem calls itself a combination Modem/Router. I am using a Linksys router, the Netgear is being used as a modem only.

Ethernet Cat 6 from Modem to Roamio

USB from TA to Roamio

Hope that covers all.

Last edited by Tivo II Jack : 07-13-2014 at 01:21 AM. Reason: Add modem information.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:33 PM   #22
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Hope that covers all.
Good information, but not quite all. A remaining question is how your wireless part of the network is setup.

From what you've said so far, it's very possible that your wireless router is setting up a separate local network from your wired connections - the wireless network then is forwarded to your wired network. That forwarding is fine for some purposes (like connecting to the internet) but not fine for other purposes like discovering other machines on your local network (since in this case you would have two local networks).

You can check this by looking at the IP address of each TiVo, found on the network connections page. It should look something like 192.168.1.xx (where the xx are other digits.) All the machines on the same local network will have the first 3 numbers be the same (in the example above, the 192, the 168, and the 1). If your Roamiio has a number different from the other machines, then this is the problem. What are your numbers?
Old 07-13-2014, 04:01 PM   #23
lessd

Quote:
No idea what "force connections" means, but all the boxes, routers, modems, etc. have been rebooted multiple times since I noticed this problem.
Just force a connection to TiVo under settings-network in the TiVo menu. Also make sure your wireless network is not on some guest part of your router, my router has a guest option that I use when I have a guest in my home, it has a different password and can't see anything on my main network but goes out to the internet without any problems, but does use the same first 3 IP digits so one could not tell you were on my gust network unless you looked at the SSID as my guest SSID is guest, my main SSID is my name.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:06 PM   #24
Tivo II Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
All the machines on the same local network will have the first 3 numbers be the same (in the example above, the 192, the 168, and the 1). If your Roamiio has a number different from the other machines, then this is the problem. What are your numbers?
This has to be the greatest community help board in existence, I think you have nailed it. My three older boxes are all 192.168.1
with the last numbers being 101; 102 and 105.

The Roamio IP is 192.168.0.114

So what do I change and how do I change it?
Old 07-13-2014, 07:12 PM   #25
Tivo II Jack

Quote:
Just force a connection to TiVo under settings-network in the TiVo menu. Also make sure your wireless network is not on some guest part of your router, my router has a guest option that I use when I have a guest in my home, it has a different password and can't see anything on my main network but goes out to the internet without any problems, but does use the same first 3 IP digits so one could not tell you were on my gust network unless you looked at the SSID as my guest SSID is guest, my main SSID is my name.
Thanks, you obviously know what you are talking about, but I have found your responses difficult to follow or understand. I have never (intentionally) set up any guest network.

Anyway, looks like Crispy has pinpointed my problem here.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:26 PM   #26
tarheelblue32

Quote:
This has to be the greatest community help board in existence, I think you have nailed it. My three older boxes are all 192.168.1
with the last numbers being 101; 102 and 105.

The Roamio IP is 192.168.0.114

So what do I change and how do I change it?
I suggest you just set a static IP address. Just make sure you set it outside the range of dynamic IP addresses that your router assigns. Here are the instructions:

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/407
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:06 PM   #27
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Are all your TiVos using dhcp or are they staticly assigned? Strange that the Roamio got a .0.xx address while the others had .1.xx

If all get their ip from the router (dhcp) then they all should be on the same subnet.

Have you made config changes in your router? Might want to reboot the router and all TiVos.
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:26 PM   #28
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
I suggest you just set a static IP address. Just make sure you set it outside the range of dynamic IP addresses that your router assigns. Here are the instructions:

Static IP address is not likely to be the answer at all. There are two separate networks being set up at the moment, and my guess is there will be no connectivity between the two. Giving the Roamio a IP address on the wireless network will leave the Roamio without any way to talk to anybody, because it's not on that network (if I'm guessing the setup correctly.)
Old 07-13-2014, 08:27 PM   #29
Tivo II Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post

Tried following those instructions at least a dozen times and hit a dead end every single time. I have used the network settings dozens of times in the past and never had a problem before. Now I keep getting the error message:

There is a problem with the router on your home network (N07).

As I said in an earlier note, my Netgear Modem says it is also a router but I have everything connected via my Linksys router.

The gateway address for Linksys router is 192.168.1.1 Netgear is 192.168.0.1

Not sure if this will make sense, but the three older Tivos show the Linksys address but the Roamio shows the Netgear address. Before replacing my old defective modem with the Netgear modem (and before changing the Roamio from wireless to ethernet) all worked fine.

I may need to redirect an ethernet connection because it may be that my current connections are causing the Roamio to use the router function of the Netgear modem while the older boxes are using the Linksys router.

As said, not sure the above makes sense because it hardly does to me and I wrote it.<g>
Old 07-13-2014, 08:31 PM   #30
Tivo II Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
Static IP address is not likely to be the answer at all. There are two separate networks being set up at the moment, and my guess is there will be no connectivity between the two. Giving the Roamio a IP address on the wireless network will leave the Roamio without any way to talk to anybody, because it's not on that network (if I'm guessing the setup correctly.)
Are we possibly talking about the same thing as in my previous confusing note?