TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-12-2014, 09:51 PM   #1
dpurcell

Question Roamie and Mini Locations

I just received my Roamio basic and Mini. I'm not sure which box would work best connected to which TV. I have a new very smart TV in the den, but we don't watch that TV often. I have a not-so-smart TV in the bedroom, and I have been using a Blu-Ray DVD player to feed Netflix, Vudu, Hulu, etc. to it. Should I put the Roamio in the den with the smart TV, and the Mini in the bedroom (and just use the DVD player for playing DVDs), or would it be better to put the Roamio in the bedroom where we usually watch TV? I'm wondering if I should do the latter to minimize the amount of programming that has to be feed over the Ethernet cable from the Roamio to the Mini. Thanks for any help.
dpurcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:17 PM   #2
tarheelblue32

Personally, I think it's almost always a better idea to put the Roamio where you watch TV the most often unless you really just don't have the room for it there and need the smaller form factor of the Mini. The Mini works well, but it does take about a second longer to change channels on the Mini than the Roamio. Also, worst case scenario, if you ever have any kind of network interference while you are trying to watch your favorite show, it's going to be really annoying to you having to deal with that with the Mini, but with the Roamio that's not really an issue.

Last edited by tarheelblue32 : 07-12-2014 at 11:27 PM.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:18 PM   #3
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Well, since the user experience is basically identical, you can arrange them either way. The only differences are:

1. The fan and HD in the Roamio can possibly be noticeable if you have sensitive hearing. Most people wont notice (but if so, bedroom is the worse choice)
2. there are more lights on the Roamio. (so bedroom is the worse choice, though you can turn them off or they might be fine, depending on your sensitivity)
3. Firing up shows on the mini has like a 1-2 second pause vs instant on the Roamio.
4. Amazon downloads dont play on the mini, only the Roamio. (yes, theres a trick to force it, but...) Note that this is only purchased videos, Prime is supposedly coming soon.
5. The remote on the Roamio is RF, so it can be used under the covers, pointing in any direction, etc
6. Unless you are doing hard-core stuff on your network, or doing massive transfers of shows onto a computer, etc the tivos wont put a dent in your network. HD streams peak at like 20mbs, SDs are a fraction of that. Fast ethernet can deal with it fine. If you have gigabit (mind you, the Roamio basic and mini only do 100mb) then its not even a measurable %
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:21 AM   #4

7. You can't download shows to the mini with pyTivo. I find this frustrating that I have to go to another room to transfer shows on the main unit.
9300170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:32 AM   #5
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9300170 View Post
7. You can't download shows to the mini with pyTivo. I find this frustrating that I have to go to another room to transfer shows on the main unit.
Huh? How are you transferring? What difference does it make were the Roamio is since its on the network? Yes, you can't transfer recordings to the mini since its not a dvr and doesn't have any storage but as long as your TiVo is on your home network, once the recordings are tansfered to the main Roamio you should be able to watch them on the mini unless you are pushing it instead of pulling as the 're wordings get copy once flag set which is bug of sorts with pytivo.
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 01:41 PM   #6
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboydog View Post
Huh? How are you transferring? What difference does it make were the Roamio is since its on the network? Yes, you can't transfer recordings to the mini since its not a dvr and doesn't have any storage but as long as your TiVo is on your home network, once the recordings are tansfered to the main Roamio you should be able to watch them on the mini unless you are pushing it instead of pulling as the 're wordings get copy once flag set which is bug of sorts with pytivo.
The problem is, as was stated, that you have to go into the other room where the Roamio is physically located (or to the computer) in order to download it via pytivo. You can't just sit in front of the Mini and decide to watch a show that is currently on your PC, without having to get up off the couch or bed! If it were the Roamio in front of you instead of the Mini, you wouldn't have to move.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:49 PM   #7
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Ok, my bad. I understand, you can't access the share on pytivo to start the transfer from your mini, I misunderstood how you orginally stated your question.
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 01:55 PM   #8
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgnad View Post
4. Amazon downloads dont play on the mini, only the Roamio. (yes, theres a trick to force it, but...) Note that this is only purchased videos, Prime is supposedly coming soon.
Pfffft. Yeah, right. Says who? Got a link?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:17 PM   #9
aaronwt
HD Addict

You also can't swap tuners with a Mini. I used a Mini in my main viewing location for a while, after a sold my one of my four tuner Premieres. I had it in that location until I got a Roamio Pro. Then I sold the other four tuner Premiere. While the Mini is fine in a secondary and tertiary viewing location, it was not as good in the primary viewing location. Since it does not have all the capabilities of the Roamio.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 05:26 PM   #10
tarheelblue32

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
You also can't swap tuners with a Mini.
Actually, I think you can do this. I did it the other night by accident. If the 2 channels you want to switch back an forth on the Mini are both already buffering on the Roamio, then the Mini will let you swap the tuners back and forth with the buffer intact. But I think you would have to set the tuners on those channels from the Roamio first unless by happy accident those channels are already sitting on tuners. It is certainly not as easy to do on the Mini, but it is technically possible.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:10 PM   #11
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelblue32 View Post
Actually, I think you can do this. I did it the other night by accident. If the 2 channels you want to switch back an forth on the Mini are both already buffering on the Roamio, then the Mini will let you swap the tuners back and forth with the buffer intact. But I think you would have to set the tuners on those channels from the Roamio first unless by happy accident those channels are already sitting on tuners. It is certainly not as easy to do on the Mini, but it is technically possible.
On my Minis, once I go to the home screen, if I go back to Live TV, I get the same tuner. Unless that tuner is now in use for a recording or by another Mini. I know I can also be on a tuner with a 30 minute buffer. Then hit the TiVo button and then the guide and have it record that show and it will get the buffer content. But still when I go back to live TV, it will get a different tuner.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote