TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-10-2014, 10:47 PM   #1
SatManager

New Roamio on Cox

Just received my Roamio Pro today and tried to install and activate it on the Cox Las Vegas network and it just didn't go very well. Cabled it up using the diagrams on the website that I found here, using the splitter so the TA was on its own leg.

Called up the activation number for Cox and gave the staff the Host ID number and she sent the activation signal to my unit. Then she had me connect the TA even before I had any channels. I did as she requested and then she sent the activation signal for the TA. No luck there. It was stuck searching for channels at 50%. She then sent out a full activation and told me to wait 20 minutes. No luck there either.

I can't even get channels with the Cable Card only. Thinking that I might have a bad cable card too. Cable card firmware is showing as PKEY 1.5.3_F.P.0601 - is that the latest for the Cox market?

The Tivo doesn't even see the TA. I do a power reset on the TA and the Tivo to see if that helps. No luck there either.

I call back to Cox. New Operator. She checks the status of the TA. It shows as "black". Apparently I have a dud. Truck roll out tomorrow. No TV tonight. At least the Netflix portion worked.
SatManager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:27 PM   #2
tarheelblue32

It sounds like you might have a bad CableCard AND a bad Tuning Adapter. You should normally at least be able to get local broadcast channels with an unpaired CableCard as long as the CableCard is properly activated on your account. And the TiVo should at least recognize that a Tuning Adapter has been plugged into it unless there is something very wrong with either the Tuning Adapter or the TiVo. Having said that, you shouldn't even be bothering with the Tuning Adapter until you get the CableCard working correctly. Sometimes it takes people 3 or 4 different CableCards before they get one that actually works. Cable companies seem to intentionally keep non-functional CableCards in circulation to frustrate people from using them. Hopefully the tech will bring a fist full of CableCards with him tomorrow and be able to find at least one that is not defective.

Last edited by tarheelblue32 : 07-10-2014 at 11:32 PM.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:19 AM   #3
SatManager

Reading the posts here, I was thinking that was what I was supposed to do but the Cox rep directed me to install the TA into the system right then. I tried to say that the Cox directions even said to do the Cable Card first then the TA but she said there was a change.

Anyway, I was looking at a few posts and that firmware version is supposed to be the default Cisco load. That was on a Comcast discussion so who knows. So that card may not even have the right firmware on it unless Cox is using that version.

I will just hope that the tech comes prepared with plenty of spares.
Old 07-11-2014, 12:48 AM   #4
tarheelblue32

If you've read through the forum posts on CableCards and Tuning Adapters, you already know more about them than the Cox tech did. Let us know how it goes tomorrow. If it's a bust we'll try to help you through the next steps.
tarheelblue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:25 PM   #5
SatManager

The Cox tech has just departed after being here for the past 3 1/2 hours. He replaced both the Cable Card and the TA (though not at the same time) and found that there was still a block on my incoming line to the house that wasn't removed when the order was placed. Then it got interesting.

I started to go through the channels and found that TV Land HD would not tune in. It would just show a black screen and give a warning that the channel would not display (or something like that). I went to the diagnostics screen and it showed that the channel was tuning to Frequency 999,000.000 KHz. The Cox Tech checked and found that TV Land HD should be at 639,000.000 KHz. It appears that the channel map is off for that channel. He found out that there was another report from another TiVo customer in Las Vegas about the same channel and they were trying to blame it on TiVo. Looks like the engineers have some remapping to do. Thanks to this forum, I was able to use the knowledge to help troubleshoot the problem so they didn't blame it on me either.

Anyway, things are now working with the TiVo here with everyone but one channel. Just won't get my Gunsmoke in HD, not that it ever was anyway! Just wish it went smooth and easy the first time with equipment that works right out of the box. That is the only drawback I can see with this system. Directv and Dish have the right distribution model as they have an installation team that takes care of the problems for you before they even give you the system.

Thanks to everyone here for the years of knowledge that has been accumulated and available for everyone to use. It came in handy for me to help guide the troubleshooting of my system.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:01 AM   #6
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatManager View Post
...... I started to go through the channels and found that TV Land HD would not tune in. It would just show a black screen and give a warning that the channel would not display (or something like that). I went to the diagnostics screen and it showed that the channel was tuning to Frequency 999,000.000 KHz. The Cox Tech checked and found that TV Land HD should be at 639,000.000 KHz. It appears that the channel map is off for that channel. He found out that there was another report from another TiVo customer in Las Vegas about the same channel and they were trying to blame it on TiVo. Looks like the engineers have some remapping to do. Thanks to this forum, I was able to use the knowledge to help troubleshoot the problem so they didn't blame it on me either. ..........
Well if your system is like mine, maybe TVLand is only an analog channel and that's why its showing that 999 freq and not tuning in? The Roamio only tunes to digital channels, not analog ones. I'm missing TVLand and a couple other channels due to this, but none that I care for. I have a roku 3 at each tv which has the Time Warner app that has TVLand live and OD shows if I wanted to catch anything.
HarperVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 07:20 AM   #7
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

I'm in the same regional Cox market as the OP, and don't have the problem at the moment. But, I have seen this in the past. It often involved when Cox would add a new channel, or remap and existing one to a different frequency.

I'd suggest trying to tune from the "Test Channels Using M-Card" under CableCARD options, and also trying "Test Channels Using M-Card" under Tuning Adapter options.

They are actually two different tests, and if one says "no channels available", try the other one. If the channel comes in while bypassing the TiVo with one of the two tests, I'd figure the guide data from TiVo's provider has not been updated for the new/pending remap.

Both tests shut off guide data mappings (which may be incorrect), stop all buffering to the hard drive, and access the mapping and tuning built into the CableCARD and/or Tuning Adapter.

It was only a month ago, when I realized the two options, with same name, under the different menus are two different tests, not the same test in two places. I've never seen anybody state this on TCF, either. I guess I'm good at finding things, in some cases.

EDIT/ADD: see more recent post since this one for more.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 07-13-2014 at 02:05 AM.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 03:41 PM   #8
HarperVision

I've noticed those tests as well and have heard that both shouldn't work concurrently. That if you only have a Cablecard then the channel test under that section of the menu is active. Once you install and need a TA, then the test is used under its menu instead.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:30 PM   #9
SatManager

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
I'm in the same regional Cox market as the OP, and don't have the problem at the moment. But, I have seen this in the past. It often involved when Cox would add a new channel, or remap and existing one to a different frequency.

I'd suggest trying to tune from the "Test Channels Using M-Card" under CableCARD options, and also trying "Test Channels Using M-Card" under Tuning Adapter options.

They are actually two different tests, and if one says "no channels available", there is somthing wrong with that part of the tuning system. If the channel comes in while bypassing the TiVo with even just one of the two tests, I'd figure the guide data from TiVo's provider has not been updated for the new/pending remap.

Both tests shut off guide data mappings (which may be incorrect), stop all buffering to the hard drive, and access the mapping and tuning built into the CableCARD and Tuning Adapter.

It was only a month ago, when I realized the two options, with same name, under the different menus are two different tests, not the same test in two places. I've never seen anybody state this on TCF, either. I guess I'm good at finding things, in some cases.
I went and tried the Test Channels as you described. The Cable Card test showed all channels as unavailable while the TA channel test allowed me to select the TV Land HD (1041) channel but it still gives the alert that there is a problem with the signal and a black screen. There is no problem with the SD channel.

So my guess is that just that one channel has been mismapped by the engineers and if you had to get a new download you got the bad mapping. If you still have the old mapping you wouldn't yet be affected.

Now another question, how can you tell what channels are SDV channels vs fixed channels?
Old 07-12-2014, 10:49 PM   #10
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatManager View Post
......Now another question, how can you tell what channels are SDV channels vs fixed channels?
Just unplug your TA from the TiVo and take note of which channels still tune in. Those are the non-SDV channels.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:31 PM   #11
SatManager

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Just unplug your TA from the TiVo and take note of which channels still tune in. Those are the non-SDV channels.
The old simple method is the best. I am guessing then that there is not a method through the menus to determine SDV channels.
Old 07-13-2014, 02:01 AM   #12
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
I've noticed those tests as well and have heard that both shouldn't work concurrently. That if you only have a Cablecard then the channel test under that section of the menu is active. Once you install and need a TA, then the test is used under its menu instead.
I just verified this to be the case. The cablecard channel test doesn't work with the TA connected and working. Unplugging the USB cable to the TA makes it work again.

If others don't notice the tests are different, wouldn't that lead to false results while troubleshooting? Like I said, I have not seen people differentiating between the two, AFAICR.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 07-13-2014 at 02:08 AM.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 01:32 PM   #13
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
I just verified this to be the case. The cablecard channel test doesn't work with the TA connected and working. Unplugging the USB cable to the TA makes it work again. If others don't notice the tests are different, wouldn't that lead to false results while troubleshooting? Like I said, I have not seen people differentiating between the two, AFAICR.
I was told that when it's only a Cablecard, the channel mapping is done with that. Once you install a TA, that device takes over mapping channels.