TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-18-2014, 01:15 PM   #2761
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballzo View Post
Isn't that a security risk? I'm not so sure I'm willing to risk my PC becoming somebody else's in order to stream videos. Is that what everyone is doing?
Don't know what others are doing. I have multiple installations of Java and specifically direct the streambaby.bat to use the Java 6 executable for rare times I run streambaby. My main/default installation is current Java 7.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:11 PM   #2762
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramiss View Post
Streambaby is also much better at organizing [than pyTivo] because it inherently supports folders.
pyTivo supports folders. Presumably you just have them turned off on your TiVo. Press "2".

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:02 PM   #2763
ramiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
pyTivo supports folders. Presumably you just have them turned off on your TiVo. Press "2".
what I meant was that Pytivo may see everything in sub folders, but it clumps them all into one list. Whereas streambaby will display the folder and keep the organization.
ramiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:09 PM   #2764
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramiss View Post
what I meant was that Pytivo may see everything in sub folders, but it clumps them all into one list. Whereas streambaby will display the folder and keep the organization.
Not if you have folders enabled. As William said, try pressing "2" on your remote while viewing a pyTivo share.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:29 PM   #2765
ballzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Don't know what others are doing. I have multiple installations of Java and specifically direct the streambaby.bat to use the Java 6 executable for rare times I run streambaby. My main/default installation is current Java 7.
Thats just not going to work for me. I really don't want to run the risk of my system getting PWNED due to vulnerabilities in JAVA. Thats why I installed Windows 7. I didn't want to run the risk of running XP with support ending this month.
ballzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:43 PM   #2766
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Just wondering... What are the chances the Java 6 dependency can be removed so people can just use 7? I know there's no longer an active developer(and I'm thankful for the life-support moyekj and others provide for users), but for the more experienced Java coders that may have looked at this before: Is there something absolutely inherent in streambaby that will always require 6 or can it potentially be modified to support 7?
A Web app for Roku Remote Control
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:07 AM   #2767
TheWGP
Hmmm...

Anyone else having issues with V301 errors and not being able to connect to Streambaby until rebooting the Tivo?
TheWGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:11 AM   #2768
reneg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWGP View Post
Anyone else having issues with V301 errors and not being able to connect to Streambaby until rebooting the Tivo?
I started seeing V301 errors after I updated Java in the last week. I thought I had Java 6 & Java 7 installed, but after the Java update, I only had Java 7. I downloaded and installed Java 6 again, changed the streambaby batch file to explicitly use Java 6 and Streambaby is running fine again.
reneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:56 PM   #2769
jgametest

Not sure what everyone is having problems with but my Streambaby works fine in Java7.

@echo off
set LAUNCHDIR="%CD%"
pushd "%~dp0\native"
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\java.exe" -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Xmx256m -Xmx256m -jar "%~dp0/jbin/streambaby.jar" %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8
echo Exited.
pause
popd

Here is my config file.

#
# ./streambaby --help for more configuration file options
#

com.unwiredappeal.tivo.streambaby
com.unwiredappeal.tivo.vm.ffjava.FFmpegJavaVideoModule=false
com.unwiredappeal.tivo.vm.ffexe
cc.background.transparency=0
quality.highestabr=384
quality.highres=1080
quality.select=true
preview.autogenerate= (default:true)
autogenerate.background= (default:0)
mp4mod.streamformats= (default:mp4,mpeg,vob,mpg,mpeg2,mp2,avi,wmv,tivo,asf)
lib.native=c:/apps/streambaby-20111203-2132/native
ffmpeg.path=c:/apps/streambaby-20111203-2132/native/ffmpeg.exe
dir.1=C:\Users\Amd\Videos
dir.1.name=Amd Flix
# Ip address to bind to
# most people don't need to change this.
#ip=192.168.1.37
# port to use
#port=7290
tivo.username=eXX1123X@aol.com
tivo.password=kXXXenX3
jgametest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 04:04 AM   #2770
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgametest View Post
Not sure what everyone is having problems with but my Streambaby works fine in Java7.
Java 7 worked for me also. However, Java 7 would not play any video with a .txt description files associated with a video
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...32#post9805532

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:55 AM   #2771
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
Java 7 worked for me also. However, Java 7 would not play any video with a .txt description files associated with a video
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...32#post9805532
Yes, same here. With Java 7 pyTivo metadata files cause streambaby to crash because of FontManager related issue:
java.lang.IncompatibleClassChangeError: Found interface sun.font.FontManager, but class was expected
at org.lobobrowser.util.gui.FontFactory.createFont(FontFactory. java:210)

Old 06-02-2014, 12:11 PM   #2772
Radiomanpj

I have a question about streaming vs push.

When I stream a video with subtitles (srt) the subtitles are overlay on the streamed file to the Tivo. So why can't it do the same when it pushes a file?

I notice the subtitles dissapear when the progress bar is visible so I guess that the
overlay is being done by the Tivo?

Works great on my Premiere and I think if you had the right video format it would stream to a Series 2.
I have ran some old mpeg video on my Series 2, and was surprised to see a video that almost was watchable. Poorly but it ran.
Radiomanpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 12:35 PM   #2773
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiomanpj View Post

When I stream a video with subtitles (srt) the subtitles are overlay on the streamed file to the Tivo. So why can't it do the same when it pushes a file?
See this thread for how to do what you want.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:11 PM   #2774
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiomanpj View Post

Because in case of streaming with streambaby, streambaby is rendering the captions itself based on the contents of the .srt file. When pushing to TiVo there needs to be embedded captions in the video itself in a format that TiVo understands, since it will render the captions itself. As lpwcomp posted it takes a lot of care to get captions working on a TiVo, even for mpeg2 files originally downloaded from the same TiVo.

Old 06-02-2014, 02:18 PM   #2775
lpwcomp

Quote:
Because in case of streaming with streambaby, streambaby is rendering the captions itself based on the contents of the .srt file. When pushing to TiVo there needs to be embedded captions in the video itself in a format that TiVo understands, since it will render the captions itself. As lpwcomp posted it takes a lot of care to get captions working on a TiVo, even for mpeg2 files originally downloaded from the same TiVo.
Actually, the link I posted is to a thread in the sourceforge pyTivo forum documenting a way to get pyTivo (using ffmpeg) to add open captions from a .srt or .ass file. You may have to use the lucansz fork of pyTivo if the capability has not been merged into the main fork.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:33 PM   #2776
Bytez

If I just want to stream videos on the computer to the Tivo via the same network, what is the difference between this and PyTivo?
Bytez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:29 AM   #2777
jacobb

I've been using Streambaby via Ubuntu for the last few years. I just got a new machine with the latest versions of everything, and I can't get Streambaby to play any files that are not mp4. The old one handles avi, mkv, m4v, probably others, but the new one does not.

The new machine has the same Streambaby version, as it hasn't been updated in 4+ years. But it has a different Java and ffmpeg. The ffmpeg works as a command line tool, as I've been able to (slowly) transcode examplars of each file format I mentioned.

Any suggestions? Is it just time to let go of Streambaby?

Thanks,
Jacob
jacobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:56 PM   #2778
jacobb

I figured out a solution via trial and error.

I believe the problem is that streambaby invokes ffmpeg with flag -sameq,
but ffmpeg stopped supporting that flag in early 2013.

I downloaded ffmpeg from http://ffmpeg.gusari.org/static/ .
(I chose the June 2nd, 2014 version but it probably doesn't matter much.)
I named the ffmpeg binary /usr/bin/2014-ffmpeg .
Then I wrote a simple Python script to wrap it but remove flag -sameq:

#!/usr/bin/python

import sys
import subprocess

arglist = sys.argv[1:]
try:
arglist.remove('-sameq')
except:
pass
subprocess.call(['/usr/bin/2014-ffmpeg'] + arglist)
and named that script /usr/bin/ffmpeg . (The script needs "chmod a+x".)

It's not beautiful, but it's simple and it works.
jacobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 12:48 AM   #2779
telemark

Yah, they're saying they're not to going to implement -sameq anymore.
https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/1835

Maybe it's time for a new streambaby build.
Old 06-14-2014, 01:06 AM   #2780
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemark View Post
Maybe it's time for a new streambaby build.
Definitely. Unless the option was specified for no reason, it needs to be modified to use other options to achieve the same result.

Old 06-14-2014, 01:06 AM   #2781
moyekj

You can fix that problem using streambaby.ini file.
From documentation there's a sameqargs option:
https://code.google.com/p/streambaby/wiki/StreamBabyIni

So you could add following to your streambaby.ini (use -qscale 0 in place of -sameq):
ffmpegexe.transcode.sameqargs=-qscale 0 -ab 192k

Old 06-14-2014, 01:21 AM   #2782
lpwcomp

Quote:
You can fix that problem using streambaby.ini file.
From documentation there's a sameqargs option:
https://code.google.com/p/streambaby/wiki/StreamBabyIni

So you could add following to your streambaby.ini (use -qscale 0 in place of -sameq):
ffmpegexe.transcode.sameqargs=-qscale 0 -ab 192k
I stand, uh sit, corrected. No rebuild required.

I am curious though. Why use Streambaby at all? This is not a criticism, I am genuinely curious. Are there circumstances under which it is preferable to use it (and endure the buffer problem) rather than transfer the recording?

Old 06-14-2014, 02:23 AM   #2783
telemark

I don't actually use it, but when I tested it, I found it was convenient to not have to delete the file afterwards.

When you have a large networked media library, are watching a number of streams in a row, or when the drive full, you don't want the one time viewings to build up on the Tivo.

I feel the buffer problem is blown out of proportion and is less noticeable than cable company oddities.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:12 AM   #2784
lpwcomp

Quote:
I don't actually use it, but when I tested it, I found it was convenient to not have to delete the file afterwards.
No comment.

Quote:
When you have a large networked media library, are watching a number of streams in a row, or when the drive full, you don't want the one time viewings to build up on the Tivo.
I don't usually transfer anything until I am about to watch it. I have mostly h.264 in either mkv or mp4 containers so the files aren't that large.

Quote:
I feel the buffer problem is blown out of proportion and is less noticeable than cable company oddities.
The few times I used it, I found it extremely annoying.

Old 06-14-2014, 10:29 AM   #2785
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
I am curious though. Why use Streambaby at all?
I'm not good person to ask since I don't use Streambaby or pyTivo either except for test purposes once in a while. The other direction from TiVo->PC I use occasionally but even that not very much anymore. I did find the built in ability of Streambaby to show captions based on .srt file that can be toggled on/off an advantage and used to use that quite a lot. It can be a big pain and sometimes impossible to get captions working for programs transferred to TiVos (like from ripped DVDs for example), so I think that's one unique advantage of Streambaby.

Old 06-14-2014, 10:49 AM   #2786
lpwcomp

Quote:
I'm not good person to ask since I don't use Streambaby or pyTivo either except for test purposes once in a while. The other direction from TiVo->PC I use occasionally but even that not very much anymore. I did find the built in ability of Streambaby to show captions based on .srt file that can be toggled on/off an advantage and used to use that quite a lot. It can be a big pain and sometimes impossible to get captions working for programs transferred to TiVos (like from ripped DVDs for example), so I think that's one unique advantage of Streambaby.
Captions and 1080p were the two reasons I used Streambaby. It is a bit of a pain to use the captions with pyTivo, especially with the problem with ffmpeg's command parser, but since I always want the captions, the ability to toggle them on and off is not an issue with me. I can see how it would be for some people, so I understand they would prefer Streambaby.

Since 1080p works for transferred files, that's not an issue either.

As I said, I was curious. I have been provided with reasons for some people's preference for streambaby, so I am content.

Old 07-10-2014, 03:49 PM   #2787
jgametest

Streambaby - Plex Folder Experiement.

I have determined Streambaby works with the new update rolled out yesterday. But this brought me to a very curious question, how do we map This PC\Plex Media Server: Amd-PC\Video\Video Channels as network drive. I am able to map my network files as a letter and program that into my config file. But I would like to know if there was a way to make backwards compatible a way to read the channel folders we could then benefit from the Plex server we run at home.

STREAMBABY.BAT
@echo off
set LAUNCHDIR="%CD%"
pushd "%~dp0\native"
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\java.exe" -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Xmx256m -Xmx256m -jar "%~dp0/jbin/streambaby.jar" %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8
echo Exited.
pause
popd

Streambaby.ini
#
# ./streambaby --help for more configuration file options
#

com.unwiredappeal.tivo.streambaby
com.unwiredappeal.tivo.vm.ffjava.FFmpegJavaVideoModule=false
com.unwiredappeal.tivo.vm.ffexe
cc.background.transparency=0
quality.highestabr=384
quality.highres=1080
quality.select=true
preview.autogenerate= (default:true)
autogenerate.background= (default:0)
mp4mod.streamformats= (default:mp4,mpeg,vob,mpg,mpeg2,mp2,avi,wmv,tivo,asf)
lib.native=C:/apps/streambaby-20111203-2132/native/native
ffmpeg.path=C:/apps/streambaby-20111203-2132/native/ffmpeg.exe
ffplay.path=C:/apps/streambaby-20111203-2132native/ffplay.exe
dir.1=z:\
dir.1.name=Amd Flix
dir.2=y:\
dir.2.name=Amd Shows
# Ip address to bind to
# most people don't need to change this.
#ip=192.168.1.37
# port to use
#port=7290
tivo.username=xxx6@aol.com
tivo.password=kxtxxex23
Old 07-10-2014, 11:06 PM   #2788
jgametest

https://forums.plex.tv/index.php?/to...work-resource?

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 521 using Tapatalk
Old 07-12-2014, 12:13 AM   #2789
jgametest

Arrow Plex Team Responds

JamminR has just posted a reply to a topic that you have subscribed to titled "Option to map channel folder as network resource?".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More complex than that. There's no way to map Plex services/libraries as samba/NFS shares.

Most the channel code is simply the server grabbing web URLs and grabbing the streams from them using the supported URL services=>transcoder if necessary, else feeding url to the client if it's compatible.

https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/top...view=getnewpos
Old 07-29-2014, 07:35 PM   #2790
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

If running StreamBaby from the cmd line, what's the proper way to have it exit and clean it's name entry out of mDNS? I ask this because of it showing \032 in the name instead of spaces. I changed it but the old name is still in that Tivo Roamio HME list.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote