TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-09-2014, 09:13 PM   #1
letnes

Upgrade Hard Drive

I have the Roamio Plus. The drive is around 80% full. I'm thinking of replacing the drive with a 4TB drive. What are my options for the shows on the Tivo? Can I copy them to a computer and transfer them to the new drive?
letnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:51 PM   #2
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

You can if they aren't protected, TiVo desktop will work but pytivo is better option. There currently is no option yet to backup and restore Roamio drives, if you upgrade you will be starting over unless you can copy your recordings down to the pc first.

Might install a copy of TiVo desktop first to see if the recordings can be transfered if you only have one TiVo to check the copy status since such varies from one cable company to another as this is a rescriction set by them not TiVo as it's only the TiVo that enforces what ever the cable company sets.

In case you aren't aware, there is a community 4tb upgrade option rather than the more expensive weakknees or dvrdude retail 4tb upgrade purchase.
TiVo Premiere

eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:24 PM   #3
mattack

I think you mean kmttg and not pytivo.

Wait, where is the 4 tb upgrade option?

To the original poster, go read the upgrade thread.. AFAIR, you can simply stick in a 3 TB drive and it will JUST WORK.. (You don't get the recordings on your old drive of course.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:21 AM   #4
eboydog
Just TiVo'ing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I think you mean kmttg and not pytivo.

Wait, where is the 4 tb upgrade option?

To the original poster, go read the upgrade thread.. AFAIR, you can simply stick in a 3 TB drive and it will JUST WORK.. (You don't get the recordings on your old drive of course.)
Kmttg will pull the recordings down off the TiVo and convert them however to transfer them back you need pytivo or TiVo desktop. Kmttg can be configured to push recordings back to the a TiVo but it uses pytivo to do so.

The 4tb community upgrade is here in the upgrade section of TCF....

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=517860
TiVo Premiere

Last edited by eboydog : 07-11-2014 at 07:30 AM.
eboydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:49 PM   #5
letnes

Thanks for the info. I will try the suggestions and let you know how I make out.
letnes is offline   Reply With Quote