TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-09-2014, 04:41 AM   #1
grey ghost

Can a Roamio Basic be put on a MoCA network

That's being provisioned by a Roamio Plus? The MoCA network is working perfectly with a Mini from the Roamio Plus, but I didn't know if adding another Roamio to the picture would cause problems I wasn't aware of or affect the speed. It would be real hard to get a Ethernet cord from the modem to the Basic.
grey ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:56 AM   #2
poppagene
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey ghost View Post
That's being provisioned by a Roamio Plus? The MoCA network is working perfectly with a Mini from the Roamio Plus, but I didn't know if adding another Roamio to the picture would cause problems I wasn't aware of or affect the speed. It would be real hard to get a Ethernet cord from the modem to the Basic.
The answer is yes, but you will need to get a moca adapter for tho tivo basic because it doesn't have moca built in.
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 02:59 PM   #3
grey ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppagene View Post
The answer is yes, but you will need to get a moca adapter for tho tivo basic because it doesn't have moca built in.
Does the Mini have a MoCA adapter built in?? I'm not using one on it and it's working great.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:13 PM   #4
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Quote:
Does the Mini have a MoCA adapter built in?? I'm not using one on it and it's working great.
The mini works with a either ethernet or moca connection, but it does not function as a bridge like the full-sized tivos that have moca functionality.

Its too bad because it would be cool to be able to provide ethernet to other device(s) where the minis are placed without having to use a seperate moca adapter.
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 03:30 PM   #5
grey ghost

I'm already using the MoCA bridge provided in the Roamio Plus to power the MoCA network and the Mini is operating using MoCA. If I put a Basic Roamio on that same MoCA network, would I still need another MoCA adapter for it?
Old 07-09-2014, 03:34 PM   #6
tatergator1

Yes, a Roamio basic needs a MoCA adapter. Only the Mini and Roamio Plus/Pro have it built-in.
tatergator1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 04:06 PM   #7
grey ghost

Thank you. Sorry to keep asking, but it seems crazy that you can get MoCA on a Mini and not have it on the Basic.

Appreciate all the help
Old 07-09-2014, 05:07 PM   #8
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Thank you. Sorry to keep asking, but it seems crazy that you can get MoCA on a Mini and not have it on the Basic.

Appreciate all the help
Not really. They probbaly omitted it to cut the cost. Plus it's also aimed at OTA users which might be less likely to be using a coax network.
The Roamio basic also doesn't have a GigE port like the Pro and plus does. But at least you only need one MoCA adapter for the Roamio Basic if you are already running the Plus and Mini on MoCA.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 06:25 PM   #9
lgnad
Pantless Mofo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
Yes, a Roamio basic needs a MoCA adapter. Only the Mini and Roamio Plus/Pro have it built-in.
(And 4-tuner Premieres)
-Stream (Gotta go unplug the sucker one of these days!)
lgnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:12 PM   #10
grey ghost

OK, if I get another Plus(#2) and add it to the MoCA network already set up, do I add it as "Connect using MoCA", since Plus#1 has been set up as "Use this DVR to set up a MoCA network".

If I set up Plus #2 on the same network, can the Mini that's on the network play recordings from both Plus #1(Office) and Plus#2(Den)?

Old 07-09-2014, 11:25 PM   #11
Davisadm
TiVo is Back!!!!!!!!

Quote:
OK, if I get another Plus(#2) and add it to the MoCA network already set up, do I add it as "Connect using MoCA", since Plus#1 has been set up as "Use this DVR to set up a MoCA network".

If I set up Plus #2 on the same network, can the Mini that's on the network play recordings from both Plus #1(Office) and Plus#2(Den)?

Yes, Plus#2 would be set up as "Connect using MoCA". You have already set up Plus#1 as your MoCA bridge using the as "Use this DVR to set up a MoCA network".

BTW, NEVER have more than one TiVo DVR set up as "Use this DVR to set up a MoCA network". You will mess up your network and start getting many errors.
Davisadm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:20 AM   #12
grey ghost

Thanks Davis. Will the Mini be able to play content from both Roamios?
Old 07-10-2014, 10:25 AM   #13
tatergator1

Quote:
Thanks Davis. Will the Mini be able to play content from both Roamios?
Yes.

The Mini is "paired" to a only one of the boxes, but content from either is easily accessible. Hitting "My Shows" from the Mini will take you into the list for the Roamio to which the Mini is paired. To access the second Roamio (using the new 3-colum "My Shows"), just pick "Devices" and select the other Roamio.
tatergator1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:39 PM   #14
grey ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
Yes.

The Mini is "paired" to a only one of the boxes, but content from either is easily accessible. Hitting "My Shows" from the Mini will take you into the list for the Roamio to which the Mini is paired. To access the second Roamio (using the new 3-colum "My Shows"), just pick "Devices" and select the other Roamio.
Excellent, thank you Tater. Would it be hard to un-pair the Mini and re-pair it with the new Roamio #2?
Old 07-10-2014, 07:23 PM   #15
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Excellent, thank you Tater. Would it be hard to un-pair the Mini and re-pair it with the new Roamio #2?
It's very easy. Just go into the settings menu and select "Remote & Devices". Then select "TiVo DVR connection". There you can select the Tivo you want the Mini paired to. The entire process only takes a few seconds but that is from accessing the different menus. Pairing to another TiVo is done in a split second.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:14 PM   #16
grey ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
It's very easy. Just go into the settings menu and select "Remote & Devices". Then select "TiVo DVR connection". There you can select the Tivo you want the Mini paired to. The entire process only takes a few seconds but that is from accessing the different menus. Pairing to another TiVo is done in a split second.
Thanks Aaron, appreciate it